What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (5 Viewers)

You actually need 3 because you don't take the spare in to get filled after you swapped out last time so it helps to have a back up to the back up.
Haha...I do have 3...but not for that reason.  We bought a propane fire pit for the covered patio...and my in laws were clearing out their house after my FIL passed away and MIL was moving.  They had a spare tank so it became ours for that purpose.  We don't use the fire pit that often so its now my back up to the back up.

(and yeah, thanks for the reminder that I need to get my other tank refilled)

Haha...I do have 3...but not for that reason.  We bought a propane fire pit for the covered patio...and my in laws were clearing out their house after my FIL passed away and MIL was moving.  They had a spare tank so it became ours for that purpose.  We don't use the fire pit that often so its now my back up to the back up.

(and yeah, thanks for the reminder that I need to get my other tank refilled)

This is my setup exactly - one tank for the firepit, one for the grill and a spare - and of course I am in the one tank is empty, grill one is running low, so debating if I just wait for it to go out, swap to the firepit and refill the 2 tanks, or go get the backup refilled now.

Now I think I need a backup to the backup for the firepit.

We also have 1 for the fire pit, one for the grill and a back up.  The grill usually runs out, but when I grab the spare, that is empty also so I take the one off the fire pit.  Then the Mrs chews me out when she wants to set out on the deck with the fire pit on but I don't have a tank under it because I still haven't filled the empty ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron Swanson said:
Good grief. Don't any of you people have natural gas? What's up with filling all these bottles? Seems like a major PITA.
When we built our house we got rebates and savings and cheaper rates by going all electric.  We live in town, but our block is the only one in the area that got grandfathered in to the Rural Electric Cooperative.

I am going to try smoking beef ribs for the first time this weekend.  Like anything else, there are a million and one ways to go about these.  Sharing what I am thinking about doing and hoping to get some advice on any pitfalls.  

I want to do half with some kick, so I bought a 2-pack of killer hogs, one spicy and the other traditional (got the idea for spicy here ).  I didn't get the AP rub, instead I am just going to use some sea salt and pepper.  I will split the rack in half, using olive oil and the spicy on one half, regular the other.  I want to do a longer smoke, so I am going to use a 250 temp versus the 275-300 I have seen on some recipes.   Guessing this'll take about 6-hours if I don't do the "dino" ribs.

I am thinking of using the beef broth spritz as I don't want something like vinegar to take away from the taste of the rub.  Around hour 5, I want to wrap them in foil and add more broth and get them to right on 200.  Then, I want to do the cooler thing for around 1.5-2 hours.  

Last question, is today too early to buy the ribs for a smoke on Sunday?  I'll be running an errand later today that'll take me past a old school meat market.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I am going to try smoking beef ribs for the first time this weekend.  Like anything else, there are a million and one ways to go about these.  Sharing what I am thinking about doing and hoping to get some advice on any pitfalls.  

I want to do half with some kick, so I bought a 2-pack of killer hogs, one spicy and the other traditional (got the idea for spicy here ).  I didn't get the AP rub, instead I am just going to use some sea salt and pepper.  I will split the rack in half, using olive oil and the spicy on one half, regular the other.  I want to do a longer smoke, so I am going to use a 250 temp versus the 275-300 I have seen on some recipes.   Guessing this'll take about 6-hours if I don't do the "dino" ribs.

I am thinking of using the beef broth spritz as I don't want something like vinegar to take away from the taste of the rub.  Around hour 5, I want to wrap them in foil and add more broth and get them to right on 200.  Then, I want to do the cooler thing for around 1.5-2 hours.  

Last question, is today too early to buy the ribs for a smoke on Sunday?  I'll be running an errand later today that'll take me past a old school meat market.

Since you are experimenting consider Doing one half not wrapping at all.  Once i did this i don’t even wrap anymore. 

think it’s fine buying them today.  
Post up the pics and which methods you preferred. 

I think the rub and method will have a lot to do with what kind of ribs you get. Beef doesn't need much seasoning. Getting the ribs today as long as they aren't frozen is fine.

Thinking about making rack of lamb on my pellet smoker for Mother's Day dinner (8 people)...anybody have any advice for me?  Everything from buying to serving would be appreciated.

I know they cook too fast for a traditional smoking and my pellet grill can get up 500 so it's more of a grilling type cook, but that's all I got.

Ron Swanson said:
Good grief. Don't any of you people have natural gas? What's up with filling all these bottles? Seems like a major PITA.

I was thinking the same, but with wood.  I only burn gas when I'm brewing beer or frying a turkey. We'll have the firepit and grill going out back later today, powered by charcoal and the cherry tree we took down last year.

Added a set of GrillGrates to the RecTeq after the first try at burgers didn't give me a good sear.  Much better this time, as the grates absorb heat and get an extra 100-150F above the temp sensor of the grill.

So, after being a regular 4-burner propane griller my whole life, where the fanciest thing my grill ever had was a side burner, I'm upgrading to a Pit Boss combo pellet smoker/grill and propane griddle/grill. 

Advice on brand/flavor of pellets? What oil should I use to season the griddle vs. to cook on it? 

What else do I need to know, as a newb? 

So, after being a regular 4-burner propane griller my whole life, where the fanciest thing my grill ever had was a side burner, I'm upgrading to a Pit Boss combo pellet smoker/grill and propane griddle/grill. 

Advice on brand/flavor of pellets? What oil should I use to season the griddle vs. to cook on it? 

Lumberjack, bear mountain, cookin pellets are all solid and 100% wood.  Just make sure they don’t get wet.  You may want a bin that seals to store them if you are in a super humid location. 

also not sure about your smoker but if it had a shutdown mode that clears the pot for you use it.  Just powering straight off may leave a ton of pellets in the pot which isn’t ideal.  

as for the cook alot of folks with pellets tend to cook on a lower temp early in the smoke to get more smoke on the meat.  Depends on how good your smoker is with smoke output.  

not sure about the griddle as i don’t have one but i really want one.  Enjoy though!  

The Noid said:

For doing burgers on the pellet grill side, I have seen recipes for smoking them at low temp for 2 hours. I have also seen going high at 450 for 20 minutes, but that's also indirect, too, right? Not really grilling (maybe more like baking?) 

What about opening the broiler plate and "flame" grilling them, is that a thing? 

Sorry, going to keep posting questions as I think of them! Does everything go on the grill plates in the smoker? Or do I put things (like whole chickens or briskets) in a foil pan? 

What about for flaky things like smoked salmon? On a rack that is inside a foil pan?

For doing burgers on the pellet grill side, I have seen recipes for smoking them at low temp for 2 hours. I have also seen going high at 450 for 20 minutes, but that's also indirect, too, right? Not really grilling (maybe more like baking?) 

What about opening the broiler plate and "flame" grilling them, is that a thing? 
I think this depends on your smoker. my pellet has direct flame as an option.  If yours doesn’t i would check with others if smoking with that plate off is a good idea or end in a potential fire.

Sorry, going to keep posting questions as I think of them! Does everything go on the grill plates in the smoker? Or do I put things (like whole chickens or briskets) in a foil pan? 

What about for flaky things like smoked salmon? On a rack that is inside a foil pan?
I go right in the rack for all of those things. But some things if i want to keep the liquid for gravy i will put foil below it.  Or if too small for racks.

I'd stick with hot and fast for burgers.

Fish is great if you can get it whole or skin on.  Natural barrier.

I think this depends on your smoker. my pellet has direct flame as an option.  If yours doesn’t i would check with others if smoking with that plate off is a good idea or end in a potential fire.
It has a lever on the side to expose slots in the plate for "flame searing" at the end of cooks, but wondering if I can just open it to do flame grilling, too.

It has a lever on the side to expose slots in the plate for "flame searing" at the end of cooks, but wondering if I can just open it to do flame grilling, too.
What type of smoker do you have again? I would assume if it has functionality for it then it wouldn’t be an issue.  

What type of smoker do you have again? I would assume if it has functionality for it then it wouldn’t be an issue.  
Pit Boss KC Combo

Assembled it on Sunday, but haven't rolled it onto the deck yet. Plan to do the burn off and seasoning this weekend and then cook a thing or two. Maybe some sausages on the griddle and pork tenderloin in the smoker. Get some practice in before the Memorial Day weekend gatherings!

Spent the last few days ordering accessories and supplies and every time another Amazon package shows up my wife rolls her eyes and my excuse is "I'm a grill guy now!"

After doing just burgers/brats/chicken up to now, I am finally running my first pork butt on the RecTeq. Coming up on 16 hours in, and the probe is reading 195.  Temp has been dead steady at 225F, never more than +/- 5 degrees.

Regarding the above discussion, I don't have the open-flame capability, so I picked up a set of GrillGrates and they've worked great for hot/fast cooking.  They absorb heat and run about 150F above the set temp, so I can easily get to about 600F..

Explain this to me like I am a vegetarian. 
Breakfast sausage (Jimmy dean for example) then you can really do anything.  Stuff with veggies cheese wrap with bacon add rub whatever really.  Smoke them until 165 internal.  They are delicious.  Want to make an app out of it bake some biscuits and put slices on to biscuits.  Will be the hit of the party!

I'm sure its been discussed 100 times here, but there's not much difference in the Kamado Joe and the BGE is there?  

Long story short...10+ years ago I was a pretty avid BGE guy.  Loved it.  Somewhere along the way we turned into mainly plant based eaters.  We moved shortly after and I gave the BGE to my neighbor.  

Back in the market for a grill!  Wife finally declared plant based is too much work.  

BGE is insanely expensive, as I'm sure yall know.   Costco has the Kamado Joe Class 2 (with a ton of accessories) for $1000.  Thats a pretty good buy right?  Seems like its probably $700-800 cheaper once you factor in the accessories you need.   We'll smoke to meats, do some pizzas and burgers and steaks mostly.    It helps that I have about $600 in Costco credit.  Google tells me its a great cooker, but I trust you guys more.  

Have a Kamado Joe...researched it similarly and found zero real difference between it and the BGE.  Great warranty...had been known for great customer service.  Tons of available accessories.

Have a Kamado Joe...researched it similarly and found zero real difference between it and the BGE.  Great warranty...had been known for great customer service.  Tons of available accessories.
Yeah, I kept seeing your posts.  Seems like a no brainer, just wanted a little confirmation.  

One thing I did notice was that stainless steel gasket it has.  That was my one real complaint about the BGE.  I kept having to replace the gasket on it.  

Yeah, I kept seeing your posts.  Seems like a no brainer, just wanted a little confirmation.  

One thing I did notice was that stainless steel gasket it has.  That was my one real complaint about the BGE.  I kept having to replace the gasket on it.  
I have the original classic with the felt…need to actually replace mine…good reminder for me to order it.  No real way around that with the combo of  heat and weight those things take.

Order your stuff now if it's higher end. I'm STILL waiting on all our stainless steel stuff to be delivered. 8+ weeks past the original 10 week estimate...
Oh yeah. Ordered in February. Just got it all so getting started. Delta Heat. 

Wife told me I have to sell my Weber Genesis and two Smokey mountains now though. :unsure:

Is it weird to want to keep the Weber(s) and just never cook on the new stuff?

Divorce is also an option. 

I'm going to dig back through the thread as I believe it's been discussed before, but does anyone have Meater thermometers, and if so, how do you like them? They are running a 20% off sale right now for Father's Day so I'm tempted to order something.

I've got a Thermapen already and a regular probe thermometer, so I am sure this can be considered overkill.

https://store-us.meater.com/

I'm going to dig back through the thread as I believe it's been discussed before, but does anyone have Meater thermometers, and if so, how do you like them? They are running a 20% off sale right now for Father's Day so I'm tempted to order something.

I've got a Thermapen already and a regular probe thermometer, so I am sure this can be considered overkill.

I recall @TheFanaticposting that he liked it.  I've had a couple of these devices but not Meater. Whichever you get I would recommend Wifi connection. The BT versions always seem to be flaky. For what it's worth, I really like Fireboard. The wireless probes on the Meater always seemed a bit gadgety to me with no real use case unless you do a lot of rotisserie. Fireboard has lots of probe options (OEM and aftermarket) and they can easily be replaced when they fail. And they make a much smaller hole in the meat if that matters to you.

I recall @TheFanaticposting that he liked it.  I've had a couple of these devices but not Meater. Whichever you get I would recommend Wifi connection. The BT versions always seem to be flaky. For what it's worth, I really like Fireboard. The wireless probes on the Meater always seemed a bit gadgety to me with no real use case unless you do a lot of rotisserie. Fireboard has lots of probe options (OEM and aftermarket) and they can easily be replaced when they fail. And they make a much smaller hole in the meat if that matters to you.

Thank you - will check them out for comparison

I got one of the Meater+ ones about a year ago and absolutely love it.  I came from a Thermapen and wired probes in my smoker and the Wi-Fi that works all over the house where you can check the temp at a glance on your phone is a game changer.  I still use the Thermapen at times but for long smokes you can't beat the Meater stuff.  Then it really just boils down to how many probes you want/need.

I got one of the Meater+ ones about a year ago and absolutely love it.  I came from a Thermapen and wired probes in my smoker and the Wi-Fi that works all over the house where you can check the temp at a glance on your phone is a game changer.  I still use the Thermapen at times but for long smokes you can't beat the Meater stuff.  Then it really just boils down to how many probes you want/need.
Given the current sale, I'd probably just pony up for the 4 probe block so I have no regrets by getting less and wanting more.

If you're looking for a super easy side for your next grill/smoke, I picked up these Member's Mark BBQ Baked Beans with Brisket at Sam's Club a week ago on a whim and they are sooooo good.  They are definitely on the sweeter side though, so if you don't like that style, these may not be for you.  

Desert_Power said:
Ordered it. Guess I'll get it as my a self present for my first father's day.

The  cheaper probes I have are not giving consistent results (resulting in too much opening of the lid), so these have been on my radar. :thumbup:
1st, congrats on fatherhood, it’s a great adventure.

And I did the same, ordered it as a Fathers Day gift for myself - debating how it will go over if I give it to my wife (it got delivered this morning) and tell her she can wrap it up and give it to me next week from the kids. Either relief so she doesn’t have to get anything or an eye roll.

Desert_Power said:
Ordered it. Guess I'll get it as my a self present for my first father's day.

The  cheaper probes I have are not giving consistent results (resulting in too much opening of the lid), so these have been on my radar. :thumbup:

Congrats man!  I'm on my 18th....I'd give just about anything to back to 1.

I am probably way late to the party, but I followed this dry brine/dry cure process to make smoked salmon for a breakfast for a small group of men recently.  Smoked right on the rack.  Served with cream cheese and toasted bagels, the guys just kept going back for the salmon by itself.  And then when the breakfast was over asked if they could take leftovers home.  My wife was NOT happy I came home empty handed.  :)  

Users who are viewing this thread