What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Insomnia Thread (1 Viewer)

MC Gas Money

Footballguy
Not sure how common this problem is but I thought it might be nice to have a thread to share experiences with sleeplessness.

Ive struggled with insomnia my entire. Its not exactly that I cant sleep but I have trouble doing so at night and staying asleep.

The past 2 years I take daily....

3mg melatonin

10mg ambien

50-75mg? Benadryl

Ambien was a dream come true til the last month or two. Before that I had tried trazadone, rozarem and a couple others I cant recall. Nothing was consistently effective for long til ambien.

Lately I have typically waking up after 3-4 hours and it takes me at least 2 to fall asleep. For a long time the meds listed above would get me to sleep in about an hour and I would get a full nights sleep. Now im just exhausted constantly and its getting worse since I started my new job.

Once I am aroused out of sleep I almost can never get back to sleep. This morning I wpke up at 3am and got barely 4 hours.

My doc suggested seroquil but I recently stopped taking psych drugs and dont ever want to again. Its either that or constantly rotate meds every few months which is frustrating.

Previously for years I would drink nightly so I could calm down and rest.I did it a few times recently but its not good to do with these meds. My doctor wont give me benzos to sedate me and Im going to go back to grass to help too.

I know I need a sleep study.

What could be causing this lifelong problem?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sleep study as you already noted - CPAP has done wonders for me - but as a chronic insomniac, even that doesn't cut it sometimes and I just go without until the body gets tired enough to demand sleep. Funny you should mention the different drug types because I was a guinea pig as well - until Rozerem was the one that finally seemed to work. Trazadone, Lunesta, Ambien , not so much.

My only challenge is sometimes not being able to fall asleep as soon as I'd like. I find listening to a spoken-word audio program puts me under in about five minutes.

If you'd like to try something non-pharma, I found this post about some natural alternatives:

Writes Phillip Folkler:

Dear Lew, I read your
http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/in-need-of-a-good-nights-sleep/post
http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/in-need-of-a-good-nights-sleep/regarding a combination of
http://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-...=ZOTHGXXEJ6MS4VB5&creativeASIN=B001OXTGVGL-theanine
http://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-...=ZOTHGXXEJ6MS4VB5&creativeASIN=B001OXTGVGand
http://www.amazon.com/Source-Natura...=56KTQ6MEUTXH5VOM&creativeASIN=B001GCTVEMMelatonin
http://www.amazon.com/Source-Natura...=56KTQ6MEUTXH5VOM&creativeASIN=B001GCTVEMfor improved sleep and ease of falling asleep.
I have been using those, in combination with 3 other ingredients, for about 5 years now. The other 3 ingredients for my sleepy time cocktail are (note: I was a long time user of benzodiazipines, ambien, et al.):
http://www.amazon.com/Source-Natura...=UQ6CJRSEZDJ3OWIS&creativeASIN=B000GFSVS2

L-tryptophan
http://www.amazon.com/Source-Natura...=UQ6CJRSEZDJ3OWIS&creativeASIN=B000GFSVS2
http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Gab...=MFXYW7Z3YRABD2ON&creativeASIN=B0078W47PMGABA
http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Gab...=MFXYW7Z3YRABD2ON&creativeASIN=B0078W47PM
http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-V...=ANSE53U5SXTNKLGT&creativeASIN=B001E0WAPIValerian root
http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-V...=ANSE53U5SXTNKLGT&creativeASIN=B001E0WAPI
Over the years I have shown this to about 2 dozen folks as an alternative to pharmaceuticals and no one has had any adverse effects. 90% have shown to have had better sleep because of it.
For myself, I have found over the years my sleep, even if shortened, is more restful. As an MS patient and a long time insomniac, this has been a significant addition to my sleep hygiene.

Sleep study as you already noted - CPAP has done wonders for me - but as a chronic insomniac, even that doesn't cut it sometimes and I just go without until the body gets tired enough to demand sleep. Funny you should mention the different drug types because I was a guinea pig as well - until Rozerem was the one that finally seemed to work. Trazadone, Lunesta, Ambien , not so much.
I dont snore or have apnea.

Why would a CPAP help?

My only challenge is sometimes not being able to fall asleep as soon as I'd like. I find listening to a spoken-word audio program puts me under in about five minutes.

If you'd like to try something non-pharma, I found this post about some natural alternatives:

Writes Phillip Folkler:

Dear Lew, I read your post regarding a combination of L-theanine and Melatonin for improved sleep and ease of falling asleep.

I have been using those, in combination with 3 other ingredients, for about 5 years now. The other 3 ingredients for my sleepy time cocktail are (note: I was a long time user of benzodiazipines, ambien, et al.):

L-tryptophan

GABA

Valerian root

Over the years I have shown this to about 2 dozen folks as an alternative to pharmaceuticals and no one has had any adverse effects. 90% have shown to have had better sleep because of it.

For myself, I have found over the years my sleep, even if shortened, is more restful. As an MS patient and a long time insomniac, this has been a significant addition to my sleep hygiene.
Im going to try this cocktail.

Do you take them right before bed or earlier?

Every night.

I usually fall asleep pretty easily and then no matter what. I wake up 5 to10 minutes after iI fall asleep.

then it takes me forever to fall back asleep

MC Gas Money said:
Jack White said:

Writes Phillip Folkler:

Dear Lew, I read your post regarding a combination of L-theanine and Melatonin for improved sleep and ease of falling asleep.

L-tryptophan

GABA

Valerian root

Im going to try this cocktail.

Do you take them right before bed or earlier?
MC, I don't take the cocktail.

I posted this as a public service to the OP and others.

Hope it helps.

Anxiety and insomnia usually go together. Treat the anxiety if you have it.

Ambien is not meant to be taken long term. Your body gets used to it and it no longer works.

Ambien is not meant to be taken long term. Your body gets used to it and it no longer works.
Anxiety is a big problem for. When I am dead exhausted it gets worse and even more difficult to sleep.

I should probably be on benzos but being pn medicaid no doctor will give them to me despite being previously hodpitalized for anxiety.

Hopefully when my work insurance kicks in at 3 months I can get a better doctor.

3 mg of Melatonin is nothing. My kids were taking 10 mg and we use 15 mg for the teens I work with.

Anxiety is a big problem for. When I am dead exhausted it gets worse and even more difficult to sleep.

I should probably be on benzos but being pn medicaid no doctor will give them to me despite being previously hodpitalized for anxiety.

Hopefully when my work insurance kicks in at 3 months I can get a better doctor.
benzos arent the long term answer either. fixing your life and getting your #### together is. a lot of people need therapy to help with this and it can be helpful.

Anxiety is a big problem for. When I am dead exhausted it gets worse and even more difficult to sleep.I should probably be on benzos but being pn medicaid no doctor will give them to me despite being previously hodpitalized for anxiety.

benzos arent the long term answer either. fixing your life and getting your #### together is. a lot of people need therapy to help with this and it can be helpful.
Ive been in therapy for 15 years.Maybe I should go back to grass?

Last edited by a moderator:

Anxiety is a big problem for. When I am dead exhausted it gets worse and even more difficult to sleep.I should probably be on benzos but being pn medicaid no doctor will give them to me despite being previously hodpitalized for anxiety.

Grass is a sleep aid, yes.

From your posting history here I'd say more drugs are probably not the best course of action for you. You mentioned your work insurance kicking in, you'd probably be best served waiting until that goes through and seeing a better doctor. From what you've posted before, avoid drugs.

From your posting history here I'd say more drugs are probably not the best course of action for you. You mentioned your work insurance kicking in, you'd probably be best served waiting until that goes through and seeing a better doctor. From what you've posted before, avoid drugs.
We are talking about grass, not drugs

Yes, I think Weed would be the best thing for you to be honest as a sleep aid. However as a non-Dr who suffers from Insomnia stay off the pills until you get a good doctor who you can see regularly. I was on some of the medication you've mentioned before for sleep and even when I could sleep it never felt like real restfull sleep.

Also what does your caffeine intake look like?

Yes, I think Weed would be the best thing for you to be honest as a sleep aid. However as a non-Dr who suffers from Insomnia stay off the pills until you get a good doctor who you can see regularly. I was on some of the medication you've mentioned before for sleep and even when I could sleep it never felt like real restfull sleep. Also what does your caffeine intake look like?
My caffeine intake is extremely high but chemicals typically effect me very differently than others.

I have smoked several hundred dollars of crack and gone to sleep soon after

I have snorted 10 bags of heroin and stsyed up for days

Traditionally stimulants relax me and sedatives get me pumped up. There are times I drank several cupd of espresso and gone to bedbshortly after.

Grass was the only thing that was never predictable

My issue is not falling asleep, it's staying asleep. Nothing worse than falling asleep for 2 hours, waking up, not going going back to sleep for another 3, then crashing again only to have to get up. Wrecks me for 2 days.

I use the generic for Restoril, 15mg, almost every night. Only way I can get solid rest.

I can't sleep and my brain races all night. The longer it takes the more anxiety I feel about being able to get up in the morning. Never ending vicious cycle.

My 21-year old daughter has sleep problems and she's tried many pharmacological remedies, Ambien made her hallucinate and feel weird, excess alcohol seems to work the best. At a college campus, its easy to get anything. Prozac prescribed by a psychiatrist made her sleepy but dysfunctional. Recently, her best sleep was last summer when she worked at an NGO in Nepal - not much to do at night and busy most of the day with kids.

There were early signs of a sleep problem. During sleepovers at age 7 or 8, she was the last one to fall asleep. In middle school, she played games on her cell phone in bed for hours before falling asleep. But I wasn't aware that it could be a serious sleep problem until senior year of high school. That's when I also became aware of a drinking problem.

I took 12 mg of melatonin 2 hours before bed last night. Woke up once in the night but got back to sleep fastband had the best rest I have had in 3 weeks

I dont snore or have apnea.

Why would a CPAP help?
Then don't. I didn't know I had apnea until the study - if you already have ruled that out then don't waste your time.

Mr. Know-It-All said:
MC Gas Money said:
I dont snore or have apnea.Why would a CPAP help?
Then don't. I didn't know I had apnea until the study - if you already have ruled that out then don't waste your time.
Ive never been told I snore except for one or two occasions where I was either sick or in an awkward position

Users who are viewing this thread