What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** OFFICIAL **** LOST - The TV Series (2 Viewers)

And by the way, if someone here coined the term "Losties", I meant no offense. It's just really really gay.

A couple of posts referred to the list of names Michael was given.

First he recognized every name except Sawyer's. 

Second why do the "others" use everyone's full real name.  If it were just mind reading and such I would expect them to use nicknames.  In the finale we are supposed to learn why flight 815 crashed.  Is it possible that a bomb was set off to bring the plane down on the island?  Maybe the stewardess that the others grabbed was in on it.  Seems like a pretty risky way to get specific people to that island though.
ethan might have provided them with the flight's passenger list while he was among them.
sure. but why use their full name especially if they know that Michael would not recognize Sawyer's full name? They are trying to tell Michael that they know more than he does and that they know a lot about the LOSTIES.
why would they assume he doesn't know sawyer's full name? he recognized hurley's name after all. this doesn't point to their superiority but instead brings up he question of how they acquired the information and for what purpose.
they asked Michael if he recognized Sawyer's full name. this indicates to me that they figured he would not recognize it.
Actually, Michael asked who "whatever Sawyer's real name is" was and Zeke said something along the lines of "You know him as Sawyer."
Miss Clue said that, not Zeke.
Yep, you're right.

they asked Michael if he recognized Sawyer's full name. this indicates to me that they figured he would not recognize it.
From the transcript of last week's episode...MS. KLUGH: I'm writing 4 names down -- 4 of your friends. We need you to bring them here. You have to bring only these 4 people, Michael. Just them. If you don't bring all the people on the list, you'll never see Walt again.

MICHAEL [still crying]: Okay, okay.

MS. KLUGH: Do you understand, Michael?

MICHAEL [still crying]: Yes. What do I tell them.

MS. KLUGH: Doesn't matter. Make up a story. They'll be angry enough to believe whatever you say.

[she hands him the list of names.]

MICHAEL: Who's James Ford?

MS. KLUGH: You know him as Sawyer. You know the rest of them?

MICHAEL: Yeah. I know them. If I do all this -- if I do what you say...

MS. KLUGH: You get your son back. You both go free.

MICHAEL: Then I want the boat.

Another reason to shoot AL:

AL said she was going to kill Henry, but just couldn't quite do it. Michael can't bring Henry back to the Others if AL changes her mind and shoots Henry. I think it was simply a ripe opportunity for Michael. John is always at the hatch, and will be mindful of Michael (having been attacked by him once already). Guns are rare, and this gives Michael a valuable asset. Killing AL is a great opportunity to motivate the 4 to go find the Others and free Henry.

Another reason to shoot AL:

AL said she was going to kill Henry, but just couldn't quite do it. Michael can't bring Henry back to the Others if AL changes her mind and shoots Henry. I think it was simply a ripe opportunity for Michael. John is always at the hatch, and will be mindful of Michael (having been attacked by him once already). Guns are rare, and this gives Michael a valuable asset. Killing AL is a great opportunity to motivate the 4 to go find the Others and free Henry.
Or rather, Walt....As I recall, they were willing to go after Walt once everyone was healed. Michael, especially after the computer message(s) from presumably Walt, was not prepared to wait.

I agree it was a ripe opportunity but it was more hastily devised than anything. It was the best, first chance he had to accomplish his task. That is not to say it was his best plan but his desperation has the better of him.

[Pickett brings Walt inside.]

MICHAEL: Walt.

WALT: Dad.

MICHAEL: Let him go! Let him go! Get your hands off him, right now!

WALT: Dad, don't.

MICHAEL: Are you okay?

WALT: Yeah.

MICHAEL: I just -- did they hurt you?

WALT: They make me take tests.

MICHAEL: They make you what?!

MS. KLUGH: We're not going to talk about that.

WALT: How's Vincent?

MICHAEL: Vincent, he's great. He's great. He misses you. Hey don't, don't, don't be scared, man. Don't be scared. It's going to be over real soon, okay? I'm going to get you out of here, okay.

WALT: They're not who they say they are. They're pretending.

MS. KLUGH: Walt! You want me to put you in the room again?

MICHAEL: Pretending? Pretending what?

MS. KLUGH: That's it. We're done.

MICHAEL: No, wait. Hey wait, wait, wait. Come here, Walt. Wait, come here, Walt.

[Walt breaks away from Pickett and runs and hugs Michael.]

WALT: Dad, [a couple of unintelligible words]. Help me, please! Don't leave me!

MICHAEL: I won't, man. I'm going to take -- I'm going to get you out of here. I promise you, I will get you out of here.

[Pickett grabs Walt.]...
Didn't Vincent just start appearing again recently? I found it interesting the way Walt brought Vincent up, before mentioning that they're pretending.

Didn't Vincent just start appearing again recently? I found it interesting the way Walt brought Vincent up, before mentioning that they're pretending.
He pops up here and there. Didn't they talk about having an episode from his perspective or at least centered on him? I guess they figured that 20 mins of Vincent licking his junk doesn't offer as riveting a story as they originally thought?

[Pickett brings Walt inside.]

MICHAEL: Walt.

WALT: Dad.

MICHAEL: Let him go! Let him go! Get your hands off him, right now!

WALT: Dad, don't.

MICHAEL: Are you okay?

WALT: Yeah.

MICHAEL: I just -- did they hurt you?

WALT: They make me take tests.

MICHAEL: They make you what?!

MS. KLUGH: We're not going to talk about that.

WALT: How's Vincent?

MICHAEL: Vincent, he's great. He's great. He misses you. Hey don't, don't, don't be scared, man. Don't be scared. It's going to be over real soon, okay? I'm going to get you out of here, okay.

WALT: They're not who they say they are. They're pretending.

MS. KLUGH: Walt! You want me to put you in the room again?

MICHAEL: Pretending? Pretending what?

MS. KLUGH: That's it. We're done.

MICHAEL: No, wait. Hey wait, wait, wait. Come here, Walt. Wait, come here, Walt.

[Walt breaks away from Pickett and runs and hugs Michael.]

WALT: Dad, [a couple of unintelligible words]. Help me, please! Don't leave me!

MICHAEL: I won't, man. I'm going to take -- I'm going to get you out of here. I promise you, I will get you out of here.

[Pickett grabs Walt.]...
Maybe they're really dogs or werewolves :popcorn:

Any chance they're taking a blood sample from Michael to make sure he's Walt's father thinking he may be able to father more "special" children for them in the future? Maybe they want Walt to have some brothers and sisters?
If that's the case, then why did Miss Cleo bother to ask Michael? :shrug:
Just to find out how much he knows about Walt, his abilities and the Others in general? We don't know why they say or do much of anything.

they asked Michael if he recognized Sawyer's full name.  this indicates to me that they figured he would not recognize it.
From the transcript of last week's episode...MS. KLUGH: I'm writing 4 names down -- 4 of your friends. We need you to bring them here. You have to bring only these 4 people, Michael. Just them. If you don't bring all the people on the list, you'll never see Walt again.

MICHAEL [still crying]: Okay, okay.

MS. KLUGH: Do you understand, Michael?

MICHAEL [still crying]: Yes. What do I tell them.

MS. KLUGH: Doesn't matter. Make up a story. They'll be angry enough to believe whatever you say.

[she hands him the list of names.]

MICHAEL: Who's James Ford?

MS. KLUGH: You know him as Sawyer. You know the rest of them?

MICHAEL: Yeah. I know them. If I do all this -- if I do what you say...

MS. KLUGH: You get your son back. You both go free.

MICHAEL: Then I want the boat.
Ok then they knew that he did not know Sawyer as James Ford but they put it down anyway. Would have been easier to put down Sawyer if that is what Michael knows him as. But, they are making a point to Michael. Which was my point. F'n details.

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20060522/D8HP0CP00.html

'Lost' to Answer Nagging Questions

By FRAZIER MOORE

NEW YORK (AP) - So what's the deal with that number sequence - 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42 - on ABC's serial drama "Lost"?

The truth is, it indicates the points during each episode's hour when the network takes a commercial break.

No, that's not right.

The truth is, it's based on the relationship between the freckle count on Kate's face and the times per hour Hurley says "Dude."

That's not right either.

But as "Lost" heads to its season finale Wednesday at 8 p.m. EDT, it promises to settle certain nagging questions and teasing mysteries. What information, and satisfaction, will we take from the "Lost" finale with us into its long summer hiatus? Only time will tell. Or not tell.

A year ago, when "Lost" ended its first season, the castaways blasted open the mysterious hatch. Big deal. Viewers didn't get so much as a peek.

But by now, we've hung out plenty down in the well-appointed bunker as it became an additional location for the castaways (and the action), supplementing the island's beach and jungle interior.

And here in the bunker was introduced perhaps the series' cleverest conceit: a computer into which must be typed the sequence 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42 (then the execute command) every 108 minutes, or else - well, no one knows what happens otherwise. Up to now no one has dared to find out. What a bleakly funny comment on the human condition: enslavement, through blind faith or fear, to a chore whose purpose is no more known to its followers than the consequences of their not doing it.

On the finale maybe we will find out what's the deal with this so-called "button" ritual.

Maybe we will also find out more about the Dharma Initiative, the mysterious research institute that built the bunker, left behind supplies and murky instructions, and at bad moments has the castaways dancing like puppets in the service of a so-far inscrutable exercise.

Maybe we'll even find why Oceanic flight 815 from Sydney crashed here, in the middle of nowhere, to start the whole "Lost" adventure - itself a basic piece of information up to now withheld from viewers.

But no matter how generous "Lost" proves on its finale, it is wrapping a season even richer and more groundbreaking than its freshman year. More assuredly than ever a set of paradoxes, "Lost" is infuriating in its lack of information yet overwhelming in its thick deposits of lore.

It is almost punishing in the demands it places on the viewer who seeks to be more than a surface observer. But at the same time, it is liberating: If the writers give their own imaginations free rein, which they obviously do, then "Lost" invites the viewer to do the same, if only to keep up.

Indeed, early on its viewers appropriated "Lost" for themselves. It belongs to the audience. The writers and actors just do most of the work.

But not all. "Lost" is not a series for couch potatoes. Parsing out buried meaning and clues has become part of the viewing process. The show gets in our heads and, like it or not, we ponder each episode for days. This is not a series to watch from the sidelines; it almost compels on-the-field participation.

Just as the bumblebee theoretically can't fly, "Lost" was a series that just couldn't work - at least, according to conventional TV wisdom. It was a stupid idea with a bloated cast, more beach time than "Baywatch," and - since the main motivation was solely to get off the island - limited dramatic possibilities.

In practice, the show's biggest threat was, on the contrary, its vast possibilities.

Among the many original acquaintances the viewer made were: Kate, the freckled former jailbird (Evangeline Lilly); Hurley (Jorge Garcia), the portly sweepstakes tycoon who says "dude" a lot; Jack, the doctor (Matthew Fox); and the mystical outdoorsman, Locke (Terry O'Quinn). But there is no shortage of new characters - both friends and enemies - replenishing what we first knew as the core group.

Every character represents another point of contact for the viewer, and another point-of-view: any event has multiple versions, thanks to each person who experienced it. Meanwhile, the flashbacks to characters' lives before that fateful crash let the series time-shift and place-shift wherever it might roam beyond the island.

As I envision the show's future, I can imagine a subset of characters somehow escaping from the island to rejoin the "real" world - where they are unable or unwilling to arrange help for the castaways they left behind. The series, while remaining on the island but also tracking the tortured readjustment of The Returnees, could then further expand to coexist in two or more realms at the same time.

That's just an idea, and maybe a lousy one.

My larger point is that, as "Lost" concludes a second year, it has demonstrated that what might have first seemed to be a silly gimmick - a random bunch of people thrown together in a crisis - instead has nearly inexhaustible potential for development.

The only real limits: writers' fatigue and viewers' fickleness. But on a series where dangers seem to lurk everywhere, neither of those seems likely to be among them anytime soon.

Finale death prediction:

Charlie
I don't think there will be any more deaths this season.But I do think Kate is injured or wounded very badly this week. Her character has been a nonfactor lately.

About the timeline for Michael.

They have his son.  For Michael, that is motivation enough to finish his mission as fast as possible.
True but he knows that Walt is fairly safe. Unless Michael doesn't like taking tests, it would seem that he can take things a little slower now knowing that.
I agree with Hulk and that was my point. He saw the first opportunity and took it. He is Michael's father and based on the lethargy around the camp to rallying to get saved (see Bernard), no one there is willing to get killed for Walt.That was until AL and Libby died and now you have Sawyer, Jack and Hurley ready to get revenge. Killing AL and Libby actually is what got those 3 fully motivated.

Second why do the "others" use everyone's full real name.  If it were just mind reading and such I would expect them to use nicknames.  In the finale we are supposed to learn why flight 815 crashed.  Is it possible that a bomb was set off to bring the plane down on the island?  Maybe the stewardess that the others grabbed was in on it.  Seems like a pretty risky way to get specific people to that island though.
ethan might have provided them with the flight's passenger list while he was among them.
sure. but why use their full name especially if they know that Michael would not recognize Sawyer's full name? They are trying to tell Michael that they know more than he does and that they know a lot about the LOSTIES.
It wasn't Ethan. Ethan didn't know Sawyer's real name because Hurley found it out from the passenger list and Ethan never had it (he wouldn't have given it back). That was also the last time anyone talked to Ethan, aside from Charlie/Claire, before they killed him.I think what it shows is that the Others did know something more about the plane. Maybe they have an Internet connection and got it online from the list of dead people or maybe they did have something to do with the crash and already knew who was going to be on board. Maybe we will find some of this out this week. Probably not. ;)

Finale death prediction:

Charlie
I don't think there will be any more deaths this season.But I do think Kate is injured or wounded very badly this week. Her character has been a nonfactor lately.
and she is hot and the writers have shown a tendency to get rid of the hot ones.

Finale death prediction:

Charlie
A cliff hanger death would count.I'm basing this prediction entirely on the "next week on LOST" deal at the end of the episode.

Was Michael captured before Henry?  If so, it makes me wonder if the Others' plan was to purposely get Henry captured knowing that they could get Michael to break him out.
Pretty sure he was.This is interesting speculation.

You may be right.
Damn you Norwood, you ruined my thread cred. :hot: Even Hulk doesn't respond to my posts with the exact same theory one page back! ;)

It wasn't Ethan. Ethan didn't know Sawyer's real name because Hurley found it out from the passenger list and Ethan never had it (he wouldn't have given it back). That was also the last time anyone talked to Ethan, aside from Charlie/Claire, before they killed him.I think what it shows is that the Others did know something more about the plane. Maybe they have an Internet connection and got it online from the list of dead people or maybe they did have something to do with the crash and already knew who was going to be on board. Maybe we will find some of this out this week. Probably not. ;)
THAT WAS WHAT I WAS SAYING! But, by using Sawyer's real name when they know that Michael will not recognize it (you know him as Sawyer), they are making the point that they know something more about the plane to Michael as well as the audience.

Was Michael captured before Henry?  If so, it makes me wonder if the Others' plan was to purposely get Henry captured knowing that they could get Michael to break him out.

You may be right.
Damn you Norwood, you ruined my thread cred. :hot: Even Hulk doesn't respond to my posts with the exact same theory one page back! ;)
No, I'm just lazy. I often gloss over something and then post about it later when it comes up a second time.

:cry:

I will be on a flight Wed. night so I will miss the live broadcast. I am wondering if ABC will put the finale up on the website (like they are doing with past episodes).

Otherwise, what is the preferred site to download episodes from?

Was Michael captured before Henry? If so, it makes me wonder if the Others' plan was to purposely get Henry captured knowing that they could get Michael to break him out.

You may be right.
:own3d:

Second why do the "others" use everyone's full real name. If it were just mind reading and such I would expect them to use nicknames. In the finale we are supposed to learn why flight 815 crashed. Is it possible that a bomb was set off to bring the plane down on the island? Maybe the stewardess that the others grabbed was in on it. Seems like a pretty risky way to get specific people to that island though.
Maybe they got it from this thread. Maybe one of us is one of them.

Good article here.

Some mild spoilers.

We are going to tell you why the plane crashed," says Cuse. "We're going to explain what happens if you don't push the button. And we're going to resolve the Michael-and-Walt story." (Michael's son, Walt, was kidnapped by "the others" in last year's season finale and has been missing ever since.) Desmond, the enigmatic guy originally discovered in the hatch, also reappears, and he's not in good shape, though he gives the survivors fresh hope for escape. Just as last year's finale expanded our scope of the island's boundaries, this year's will expand its relevance. "There is something else that is reverberating on our planet that is directly linked to this island," says Monaghan. "You begin to understand that what is happening there has a significant butterfly effect in the rest of the world." One more thing: we think another character is going to die, or come close. It's just a hypothesis, based on the fact that when we asked Michelle Rodriguez (Ana Lucia) to guess which character would die after Libby, she said: "I can't do that, 'cause I know." Then she clammed up.

You may be right.
Oh, laugh it up. If I had any motivation at all, I would search all your posts to find where you messed up too. Consider yourself lucky that I don't, but you've been warned. ;)

Maybe they got it from this thread. Maybe one of us is one of them.
Norwood has me shaken. I am using qualifiers in all my theories now.Edit to add: Look how shaken, I can't even reply in the right spot. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Was Michael captured before Henry? If so, it makes me wonder if the Others' plan was to purposely get Henry captured knowing that they could get Michael to break him out.

You may be right.
Oh, laugh it up. If I had any motivation at all, I would search all your posts to find where you messed up too. Consider yourself lucky that I don't, but you've been warned. ;)
I just posted today that the Others were werewolves and that Walt was Jesus Christ. Enjoy.

You may be right.
I just posted today that the Others were werewolves and that Walt was Jesus Christ. Enjoy.
:lmao: :lmao: I know and I saw that. What don't you understand about lack of motivation?

You may be right.
newsletter?

Thats Desmonds vaccine that he injected himself with.
Way behind. I will delete if this is discussed. But, interesting point. I wonder if it is really a vaccine and what specific purpose it has if Desmond was taking it regularly.
It actually wasnt Desmond's vaccine. He took most, if not all, of it with him, including the injector. The vaccine Charlie found was in the supply drop, which shows that Desmond was taking it reguarly. Also, we know its purpose: to combat "the sickness". Two of the hatches have had QUARANTINE painted in large letters on the doors. Shortly after meeting the survivors, Desmond asks Jack if anyone from the group has gotten sick and died. Ethan injects Claire with the same vaccine to keep Aaron healthy.
Did Ethan say "See you in the funny pages." to Claire when he kidnapped her and had her in that examining room? She was obviously drugged.
No.

HUGE spoiler

05/22 - Harold Perrineau is not a regular for next season. He could be back as a guest star (à la Walt this season) but not as a regular cast member. source kristin @ e-online via spoilerfix ---- guess this confirms his death... or does it??!

HUGE spoiler

05/22 - Harold Perrineau is not a regular for next season. He could be back as a guest star (à la Walt this season) but not as a regular cast member.    source kristin @ e-online via spoilerfix  ---- guess this confirms his death... or does it??!
who?

HUGE spoiler

05/22 - Harold Perrineau is not a regular for next season. He could be back as a guest star (à la Walt this season) but not as a regular cast member.    source kristin @ e-online via spoilerfix  ---- guess this confirms his death... or does it??!
who?
That is the actor playing Michael. Being back as a guest star means he either fades into oblivion and returns here and there, like Rose in Season 1, remember she disappeared for a while after being present quite a bit right at the start, well she was acting in plays in London. The other theory is he bites it and guest starring means that he is in flashbacks only.

This was from Spoilerfix.com, but not a spoiler, just an interesting comment from Dominic (Charlie).

Just as last year's finale expanded our scope of the island's boundaries, this year's will expand its relevance. "There is something else that is reverberating on our planet that is directly linked to this island," says Monaghan. "You begin to understand that what is happening there has a significant butterfly effect in the rest of the world."
:excited: I have no clue what this means, but looking forward to the finale.

HUGE spoiler

who?
That is the actor playing Michael. Being back as a guest star means he either fades into oblivion and returns here and there, like Rose in Season 1, remember she disappeared for a while after being present quite a bit right at the start, well she was acting in plays in London. The other theory is he bites it and guest starring means that he is in flashbacks only.
oh. thanks.

I just rewatched last week's episode and saw some things that may have already been brought up, but I will bring them up again. Most of these thoughts are from the previews for this week's finale. These thoughts are not in any particular order, based on the previews, but are written as I remember the scene(s).

1. Jack, Sawyer, Hurley, Michael, Kate (and Sayid?) go to the Other's camp (where they held Michael) but find no one there, based on them trashing the place looking for people or things. It's obvious that the Other's have moved back into hiding, or is it possible that they wanted Michael to bring the "chosen ones" to this camp, so that the Others could raid/pick off people/things from their hatch/camps.

2. You see Jack, Kate, and Michael in a clearing with what appears to be the tubes Locke used to send up the map he had drawn. It this the dumping ground for those tubes, or is where the tubes end up, once sent.

3. Kate appears to be incapacitated, based on a quick look, as she is being dragged along.

4. Locke attempts to smash the computer screen with what appears to be Ecko's stick, but you can see Ecko's arm come up in an attempt to stop Locked from doing much damage.

5. Jack really isn't shooting at the smoke monster, is he? I'm guessing he is, and not shooting at the others.

6. Jack puts Michael up against a wall and screams "You have to tell them the truth" (or something of that nature.) I'm guessing that this is after they have gone to the Other's camp and found no one, and come back to people and/or things missing from the hatch/camps.

6. Charlie is walking towards something of particular interest in the hatch (it appears) and then there is an explosion. Could the explosion be as a result from the Others attacking, or is it because the numbers were not entered in time. If you remember from last week's episode, Ecko's cross necklace was pulled away from his body, right before the time starting going off. Could it be that when the numbers are not entered, there is some kind of electromagnetical reaction that would cause this explosion?

7. Desmond is definitely not someone to mess with, based on looking at the Canadian preview clip (which I just did.) The way he looks when he says "This... is it" is definitely eerie. He could be guy in charge.

8. You see people in the boat, and it appears that they are ransacking the boat for some odd reason. I remember seeing Jin and possibly Michael on the boat, at the very least.

Also, I am too lazy to go back through some of these posts, but I remember a conversation about when Jack, Sawyer and Locke have their meeting with Zeke, and someone mentioned that Sawyer shot at Zeke, but it looked like the bullet bounced off him and came back at Sawyer. Looking at it again in last week's episode, I don't believe that Sawyer actually fired a shot. I think the shot came from one of the armed Others, to prevent Sawyer from shooting Zeke.

I know this has probably all been hashed and rehashed out, but I thought I would throw some thoughts out, based on my reviewing last week's episode.

Did anyone see Desmond in the episode last week? The article in Entertainment Weekly this week says that he was on the beach chugging a bottle of booze. I don't recall seeing a scene like that.

Did anyone see Desmond in the episode last week? The article in Entertainment Weekly this week says that he was on the beach chugging a bottle of booze. I don't recall seeing a scene like that.
Ugh. Now I can't to get home and rewatch. :rant:

I didn't. Are you sure that he isn't on the beach in the finale since it is supposed to be sort of Desmond centric.With all of the saying/not saying Alex type stuff, I couldn't imagine that no one here would have seen that or visited another site that showed a picture of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_%28TV_series%29

Discredited theories

Lost's mythology is exceedingly complex, in the style of other mystery-adventure shows such as The X-Files and Twin Peaks. This intricacy, and the unresolved questions it spawns, have led to rampant speculation and theorizing among fans, mainly concerning the nature of the island, the origins of the "security system", the "Others", the meaning of the numbers and the reasons for both the crash and the survival of some passengers. Several of the more common fan theories have been discussed and dismissed by the producers, including:

The survivors are dead and/or in Purgatory — dismissed by J. J. Abrams [16]

The survivors are in a time warp — dismissed by Damon Lindelof [17]

Spaceships or aliens influence the events on the island — dismissed by Damon Lindelof [17]

Everything seen is a fictional reality taking place in one or more of the survivors' minds — dismissed by Damon Lindelof [18]

The island is a reality TV show and the castaways unwitting housemates — dismissed by Carlton Cuse [19]

The "black smoke" is a nanobot cloud similar to the one featured in Michael Crichton's novel Prey — dismissed by Damon Lindelof [20] [21]
I hadn't realized they discredited the Monster/Nanobot theory. Although I read the article and he says "although it depends on how you define nanobots".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_%28TV_series%29

Discredited theories

Lost's mythology is exceedingly complex, in the style of other mystery-adventure shows such as The X-Files and Twin Peaks. This intricacy, and the unresolved questions it spawns, have led to rampant speculation and theorizing among fans, mainly concerning the nature of the island, the origins of the "security system", the "Others", the meaning of the numbers and the reasons for both the crash and the survival of some passengers. Several of the more common fan theories have been discussed and dismissed by the producers, including:

The survivors are dead and/or in Purgatory — dismissed by J. J. Abrams [16]

The survivors are in a time warp — dismissed by Damon Lindelof [17]

Spaceships or aliens influence the events on the island — dismissed by Damon Lindelof [17]

Everything seen is a fictional reality taking place in one or more of the survivors' minds — dismissed by Damon Lindelof [18]

The island is a reality TV show and the castaways unwitting housemates — dismissed by Carlton Cuse [19]

The "black smoke" is a nanobot cloud similar to the one featured in Michael Crichton's novel Prey — dismissed by Damon Lindelof [20] [21]
I hadn't realized they discredited the Monster/Nanobot theory. Although I read the article and he says "although it depends on how you define nanobots".
Maybe its not man made nanobots, but like a biological nanobots?I definitely think its nanobots, I don't care what they say.

Unconfirmed Spoiler of Large Porportions

Desmond is on the sailboat. He made it back to civilization, but has returned to the island because civilization is apparently gone. The people on the island are among the only surviving humans on the planet.
Don't know if its true. But if it is :eek:

hulk, can you please let us know where you got that spoiler from

its the first ive heard of it and im on the spoiler forums all day

hulk, can you please let us know where you got that spoiler from

its the first ive heard of it and im on the spoiler forums all day
In several posts from several different posters here.No idea if its complete BS or not.

Unconfirmed Spoiler of Large Porportions

Desmond is on the sailboat.  He made it back to civilization, but has returned to the island because civilization is apparently gone.  The people on the island are among the only surviving humans on the planet.
Don't know if its true. But if it is :eek:
That's been discussed as a theory before.Would love that.

Doesn't make a lot of sense though..

Where does the food come from then?

cap's right.. also..

what happened in the last 50 days that would cause all of civilization to end? we saw a ton of people at the airport as everyone was boarding so we know that people were on earth at that point.. also how does desmond know everyone is gone, did he go around the world?? doubt it.. maybe went to one place at most in that short a time (20 days)

Users who are viewing this thread