What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official* Marvel's Black Panther movie (1 Viewer)

I'd say so, yes. 
Interesting.  Like I said, we are on the more prudish end of the spectrum with movies and I didn't think much of it.   I think there is less overall violence, but maybe it's a bit more realistic and they deal with death a little bit differently.  Ie instead of fighting a large number of faceless aliens and blowing up a bunch of stuff, there is more close contact one on one violence?  

Overall I am just surprised at the lackluster reviews in here and comments like yours that it was a bit more violent than the others.  

I thought it was on par with what we have seen from Marvel. It is the first movie featuring Black Panther so it should be compared to the likes of the first movie of each character. I'm not up to date with Black Panther and his origins or anything like that however I did find the movie to be a refreshing movie that was not too cliche per comic book movies. The only cringe I had during the movie was the amount of CGI and how some of the CGI was too over the top, as in, not good. The movie was not spectacular but it was far from bad. The bad guy, the actor, I think, could have used someone else. He just didn't fit in with the motif of the movie, to me.

Anyway, I thought posted about in in the other threads, but might as well here too.  I thought this was a top level Marvel movie and for me ranks up with the last couple Cpt America movies, Spider-Man: Homecoming, and Iron Man.   I might be forgetting some, but I would guess it's in the top 5 for me.  

I really loved the energy of the movie and the ones in the MU that I gravitate to are the ones with a self contained story and world and ones with a human bad guy.  I am getting bored with the dull alien baddies chasing around for glowing orbs.  I also joked that whoever hates all the broads in the SW movies probably should stay away from this one as the female character are numerous, great, and probably overshadow the main superhero.  
It’s definitely top tier for me, along with GOTG, Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Avengers, and Ragnarok. 

Just got back from it. Enjoyed it a lot.  It's getting to the point there's just about too many movies for me to rank, but the "above Dr Strange and below Ragnarok" someone else gave it works well for me. 

Until just now when I googled Okoye's actress, I had no idea she was Michonne from Walking Dead.  So different without hair!  She looked really good with the wig, should get her hair like that all the time.

NewlyRetired said:
Daughter and I both liked it.

Am I correct in saying?

Black Panther is set before Spiderman Homecoming
anyone know?

Don't recall this myself, but apparently the news report in Black Panther that recaps the UN bombing and T'Chaka's death, dates that as having happened a week ago. So that would set Black Panther a week after Civil War.

Homecoming apparently references 2 months pass since Spidey helped in the Civil War fight at the airport.  Again, don't recall this myself right now.  But if so, yes that would put Panther a month plus before Spidey.

The most try hard and forced scene I can recall in some time.

There were few of these that distracted from an otherwise good time for me.

I’m not sure why you think that line was forced. It was completely consistent with the character’s motivations. And he wanted to die rather than be imprisoned.

I’m not sure why you think that line was forced. It was completely consistent with the character’s motivations. And he wanted to die rather than be imprisoned.
Let me walk out to the cliff overlooking the sunset with a spear in my heart so I can say this before I die.  Forced.

Let me walk out to the cliff overlooking the sunset with a spear in my heart so I can say this before I die.  Forced.

He didn't walk out there, BP took him out there out of respect, then offered to keep him alive.  It goes right along with him wanting to right the wrongs he felt his father did.  Bad guy knew that if he was kept alive he probably would be a prisoner and said the line.  

I thought the ending was beautiful. T'Challa knew Killmonger had been wronged by his father, and by taking him to see the sunset he was fulfilling the promise that Killmonger's father made him as a child. As for the line itself, Killmonger was ready to lead a global revolution 20 minutes earlier. He knows he can't be redeemed so he'd rather die, seemed totally in character.

Disney is a movie studio. They own rights to several marvel characters which make up MCU (iron man, avenger, black panther, captain America, etc).

Fox is another movie studio. They own rights to several marvel characters (X-Men, deadpool, fantastic four, etc). Disney recently purchased fox. It remains to be seen what will happen to xmen. Prior to the sale, characters owned by fox couldn't appear in MCU movies despite both being in marvel comics.

Sony is another studio. They own rights to Spiderman and venom. They reached a deal last year with Disney that allowed Spiderman to be part of MCU but technically Sony still owns the rights. It's why prior to captain America 3, Spiderman hasn't appeared in any avenger movies.

The whole thing is very confusing.
Wolverine vs hulk throwdown.  Ohh, it's coming. 

I thought the ending was beautiful. T'Challa knew Killmonger had been wronged by his father, and by taking him to see the sunset he was fulfilling the promise that Killmonger's father made him as a child. As for the line itself, Killmonger was ready to lead a global revolution 20 minutes earlier. He knows he can't be redeemed so he'd rather die, seemed totally in character.
Maybe it was the acting.  Didn't go off well for me.  :shrug:

**Spoilerific**

I am overly critical of most movies and this one is no exception. 

There were just too many characters and too many "hit the checkbox" decisions by the director.  In my opinion the hardest part of any hero movie is getting the villain correct and they got this one right, which is why I think this should have been much better.  MBJ was great and Chadwick Boseman was just as good as always.  To me though there wasn't enough of either of them and too much of everyone else, except Serkis who was better than everyone.  Martin Freeman should have been left back at the interrogation room.  Other than "we" need a white guy, for me, it felt like his time could have been cut short and given to more back story of MBJ.  

The sister was given way too much time as well.  I get the whole show a young girl in tech decision, but I believe she should have been handled more like a 'Q' type bond character and limited to showing the cool tech and less time overall.  They also bungled what could have been her best line.  Instead of telling Martin Freeman to "Get out now" and then cutting to Daniel Kaluuya, a crisper "Get out" would have been more comical.

I agree with Matuski that the last scene was cheesy.  I know there isn't a great way to throw in a slavery line, but they didn't execute it well.  Obviously the guy was King for a while, so it wasn't like he would have just missed ever seeing a Wakandan sunset, which was a key memory of his father.

A better use of time might have been showing the stealing of the initial vibranium heist.  Having Sterline K Brown and Serkis working together would have been fantastic.  I did go to the bathroom so I may have missed what the purpose of the museum robbery was.  They needed the vibranium to get money, but later MBJ said they didn't need it.  What they really needed was Serkis to take them to Wakanda, but then they really just needed his body because he could gain support of W'Kabi (Daniel Kaluuya).  But he didn't need that either, because once he got to Wakanda he had an actual claim to the throne. 

To me this was kind of like one of the bad Star Wars movies where they seemed to care more about having characters that would work to sell more toys, rather than focusing on making a great movie and assume that if they did that, that the kids would buy them anyway.  This movie instead of toys they subbed in checking the social issues boxes.  Which if it was packaged in a great movie and not what it is being portrayed by the critics, as a great movie because it hit all the boxes, would have been much better.

We went and saw BP and it was ok. For me, I liked Antman better. 

However, I can understand why black kids can appreciate and need this movie. It gives them something that I never even ever considered. A superhero that looks like them. Although in my youth I never considered color with superheros- green lantern, flash, hulk, etc.

I'm whitey, aged 59. I recently was going through old photos from my childhood. I noticed that in many photos I was wearing a batman tshirt and remember playing batman as a boy. It was back when  Adam West was playing batman on the tv series from the 60's. I loved the show. My black childhood friends loved it too...

Wow, 40 years and now the black superhero makes the bigs. About time. 

Went and seen it Friday night, really liked it. Am I the only one that thought Black Panthers quote in front of the U.N. at the end was a shot at our current president?

Just got back. It was okay. Middle of the pack MCU for me. I thought it had a different vibe than the recent movies since it was normal human good guy/bad guy. No aliens or mystical arts. Unlike someone above, I do enjoy those movies more; GOTG and Ragnarok were great IMO.

I am go pumped for Infinity War. 

Went and seen it Friday night, really liked it. Am I the only one that thought Black Panthers quote in front of the U.N. at the end was a shot at our current president?
Nah. The rest of the world's view of Wakanda was established at several points during the movie. 

Alluding to fictitious African scientific achievements isn't much of a real world shot.  It was certainly a stupid enough comment for US interests that it deserves some shots, though.

Good movie, not great. A little slow at the beginning but picked up towards the end. Overall a very nice origin story. My critic hat thinks the music score could have been a lot better. I need to rewatch Civil War because I can’t remember why a certain thing happened in this one.

We went and saw BP and it was ok. For me, I liked Antman better. 

However, I can understand why black kids can appreciate and need this movie. It gives them something that I never even ever considered. A superhero that looks like them. Although in my youth I never considered color with superheros- green lantern, flash, hulk, etc.

I'm whitey, aged 59. I recently was going through old photos from my childhood. I noticed that in many photos I was wearing a batman tshirt and remember playing batman as a boy. It was back when  Adam West was playing batman on the tv series from the 60's. I loved the show. My black childhood friends loved it too...

Wow, 40 years and now the black superhero makes the bigs. About time. 
But this wasn’t the first movie featuring a black superhero...

Saw this on Friday night with my two sons (12/10).  All three of us really enjoyed the movie.  Theater was packed and overall crowd seemed into it and enjoyed it.

It was a solid action packed movie that told a single storyline very well.  BP didn't need any supporting heroes to win the day, which was good to see for a change.  Marvel has gotten a little too into the "buddy team-up" type of movies recently.  Really enjoyed this one.  Maybe I'm just there to enjoy the movie  experience, but I didn't pick up on the "civil/social undertones" or any "agenda pushing" that others have talked about online.  I feel that people are looking for things and trying to take anything they see to fit their own agenda.  It was an enjoyable movie, action packed, and had a good flow.  I was entertained, which is all I want from a movie.

Definitely a top tier Marvel movie for me.  

shadyridr said:
Its not even the first marvel movie starring a black superhero. Blade was
and in non Marvel, there was Spawn before Blade.

=============

Also some strong supporting characters in Nick Fury, Storm, War Machine, Falcon and Heimdall

Last edited by a moderator:
Really interesting to see the phenomenon of this, hoping to sneak in this week.  

I live in a white town basically, and we close to some black town.  Got stopped on the street by a car full of older black folks asking me if I knew where the movie theater was on Saturday afternoon.  Now if you're from town you can't miss it, so I'm guessing they weren't from town or didn't come around much and probably only came to our rinky dink theater because all the other ones were sold out.  And then last night I go to Alamo Drafthouse, a hipster theater movie nerd theater for the most part for those who aren't familar but they show 80 percent "normal" movies to pay the bills for the 20 percent arty/geek/revival movies they show.  Always looks like little williambsburg in there.  Anyway, I went last night to see a showing of Petey Wheatstraw and there were all of these black grandmother looking types in the lobby.  They would have been in the demo for Petey but of course they were there to see Black Panther.  10:30 on a Sunday night.  Really interesting stuff, I haven't seen a cultural movie hit the zeitgeist like this since Passion of the Christ in terms of seeing people at the movies who don't usually go to the movies (both cases middle class and older folks who look pretty amazed at the modern movie set up).  

:thumbup:  cool stuff to see

The movie "agenda" was well done. That speech at the end there was something we should be striving for.

- T'grunge

It may be the first mega­budget movie—not just about superheroes, but about anyone—to have an African-American director and a predominantly black cast. Hollywood has never produced a blockbuster this black.

Around here people are showing up in African clothing & celebrating this movie. “About time!” I realize NYC is a bubble & I doubt that sort of thing is widespread in many parts of the country. But it’s def a thing here & the number one cultural topic. It’s more of a movement than just another movie.

Ok, so maybe the first on that people actually went to see? ;)
Spawn was a poor movie but the first Blade was ok and did well enough at the box office to make two more.  And this was before the Superhero movie craze really took over. 

Blade is generally considered Marvel's first box office success.

Users who are viewing this thread