What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Minnesota Vikings 2015 Season Thread (1 Viewer)

It has been a bit of a tug of war between what works well for the passing game and what works well for the running game. Peterson obviously won that battle so the offense has adapted to him. When the Vikings get behind then they try to revert back to what works well for Teddy and the passing offense but the offensive line does not provide enough protection.

The Seahawks do a lot of wide nine so having Teddy line up in the shotgun is actually making the pass protection a bit more difficult. Norv talked about this after the Rams game that he didn't want to expose Teddy to their pass rush by using a lot of shotgun formations. I think that likely applied against Seattle as well.

Tough game to watch. Wilson made the Vikes look like clowns. The refs made the refs look like clowns.

Last edited by a moderator:
sports_fan said:
Teddy has to get the ball out faster. He waits and waits then gets in trouble and either throws it away or takes the checkdown. I like the guy but it's getting harder to continue to make excuses for him.
mr roboto said:
sports_fan said:
Teddy has to get the ball out faster. He waits and waits then gets in trouble and either throws it away or takes the checkdown. I like the guy but it's getting harder to continue to make excuses for him.
I want someone to give a real breakdown on the all-22. Hell look at Rodgers last few games he 'holds' the ball too. Anyone open?
There was an article a few weeks ago looking at the all-22 and breaking it down, and it basically said that Bridgewater isn't generally holding the ball longer than average for the league, and when he is, it's usually because he's trying to make a play - main problems, WRs aren't getting open and the OLine is breaking down. Missing 2 starters and people playing out of their normal position will make an OLine look bad in a hurry.

I don't think you can definitively say that Bridgewater is holding the ball too long given the other struggles on offense. He is being told to protect the ball, so he's not going to just sling it in to try to make a play, he's doing what he is coached to. Should the Vikings open it up? Probably going to need to, but that's their current game plan.

This loss hurts, but it was an entire team loss, from the injuries on both O and D, to bad tackling on DF, as well as just no ability to get any offense going (good play from the Seattle DF there as well). Good news is, they are still 8-4 and still control their own destiny for any playoffs.

To be honest, regardless of what they do the rest of the way (and I'd love to see some wins, a playoff berth, etc), I think this season has been good. Need to see more growth from Bridgewater and need to see Norv adjust when things aren't working for him, probably need a few more playmakers (and to get healthy). I'm still happy generally, although tough to watch today.

Hearing a lot of angst on Turner on fan line, including suspicion that is who AP was referring to. I'm not sure what was to be expected bringing in a downfield passing guru and giving his QB 3 seconds to throw. I am curious about OL coach Jeff Davidson... anyone want to educate me on why his job is never on the chop block despite years of pass protection futility? Reading his bio almost made me cringe... "Jeff Davidson’s reputation for technical expertise and fitting schemes to personnel has proved effective... " and then basically going on to credit him for APs hall of fame talent. I'd take back Mike Tice in a heartbeat at OL coach.

So I watched the game.

It is seems like a lowlight reel for Antone Exum who misses tackle after tackle as well as not being in position in the passing game.

The offensive pass interference calls I do not really get. The first one on Wright was not even really near the play. So how is it interference? The second one I couldn't really see. That first one takes away a 1st down. Something the Vikings struggled to get in this game.

The color commentator mentions something about Teddys elbow not being in the right position when he threw the interception. I dpn't understand throwing mechanics well enough to identify stuff like this, but supposedly the position of his elbow caused the ball to sail on him. When Teddy talked about that throw, he was asked if he used wrong technique, he said no that the ball just sailed on him. So if it was bad technique, Teddy does not seem to know about it.

TJ Clemmings still does not know how to protect the outside on stunts. He is so bad in pass protection.

sports_fan said:
mr roboto said:
sports_fan said:
I want someone to give a real breakdown on the all-22. Hell look at Rodgers last few games he 'holds' the ball too. Anyone open?
There was an article a few weeks ago looking at the all-22 and breaking it down, and it basically said that Bridgewater isn't generally holding the ball longer than average for the league, and when he is, it's usually because he's trying to make a play - main problems, WRs aren't getting open and the OLine is breaking down. Missing 2 starters and people playing out of their normal position will make an OLine look bad in a hurry.

I don't think you can definitively say that Bridgewater is holding the ball too long given the other struggles on offense. He is being told to protect the ball, so he's not going to just sling it in to try to make a play, he's doing what he is coached to. Should the Vikings open it up? Probably going to need to, but that's their current game plan.

This loss hurts, but it was an entire team loss, from the injuries on both O and D, to bad tackling on DF, as well as just no ability to get any offense going (good play from the Seattle DF there as well). Good news is, they are still 8-4 and still control their own destiny for any playoffs.

To be honest, regardless of what they do the rest of the way (and I'd love to see some wins, a playoff berth, etc), I think this season has been good. Need to see more growth from Bridgewater and need to see Norv adjust when things aren't working for him, probably need a few more playmakers (and to get healthy). I'm still happy generally, although tough to watch today.
:goodposting:

At the start of the season I predicted a 11-5 record ( I know purple colored glasses and all ;) ) but if not for the stinker of a game @49ers it would be well within the reach..

Now, unless they pull off a major :shock: @ Arizona on Thursday they'll have to win the last 3.. the last one being @ Green Bay..

I believe they will beat the Bears and the Giants @ home which would give them a 10-6 record at worst..

At the beginning of the season if someone said they'd go 10-6 and "probably" a playoff spot I think 95% of Viking fans would have been happy. :thumbup:

For next year we need to get the coaches "protect the ball at all costs" talk out of Teddy's head and open the offense a bit.. and as mentioned above, the commentator yesterday kept mentioning mechanics, and if true more then likely fixable, just need to bring in someone to work with him in the off season.

Of course none of that helps if they don't spend, spend and spend some more on the OL, as well as use draft picks..

sports_fan said:
mr roboto said:
sports_fan said:

At the start of the season I predicted a 11-5 record ( I know purple colored glasses and all ;) ) but if not for the stinker of a game @49ers it would be well within the reach..

Now, unless they pull off a major :shock: @ Arizona on Thursday they'll have to win the last 3.. the last one being @ Green Bay..

I believe they will beat the Bears and the Giants @ home which would give them a 10-6 record at worst..

At the beginning of the season if someone said they'd go 10-6 and "probably" a playoff spot I think 95% of Viking fans would have been happy. :thumbup:

For next year we need to get the coaches "protect the ball at all costs" talk out of Teddy's head and open the offense a bit.. and as mentioned above, the commentator yesterday kept mentioning mechanics, and if true more then likely fixable, just need to bring in someone to work with him in the off season.

Of course none of that helps if they don't spend, spend and spend some more on the OL, as well as use draft picks..
I think we are forgetting that we have not had our 2 best O-linemen at all this season. Fusco has also not looked the same since moving to LG. I think getting Sullivan and Loadholt back will give a big boost to this o-line and they can use picks to fill in depth or possibly sign a LG and move Fusco back to RG.

Yesterday showed that while their first team talent is good, the team still lacks depth.

I don't know too many teams that could win without their three top defenders.

I was at a Vikings Bar here in Phoenix yesterday and after the fumble, the next Defensive series I believe, when they showed Barr and Smith both still standing on the sidelines you could feel the air just go out of the room. Those 2 are so important to our team and already being down Joseph we had no chance. Our practice squad right now should consist of all Offensive lineman. We should be turning over any rock to find someone who can block at all. Our draft should consist of a SS in 1st round and then O-line the rest of the way.

Diggs is a nice player. Wallace, meh. Wright is a good WR3/4. Theilen is a WR4/5 ST player. CPatt is hopeless IMO (except for returns).

What happened to Johnson? He looked the part for stretches last year.

Exum Expected to Miss 2-3 Weeks

Speculation is that Exum was injured in the second quarter after a violent hit on Seahawks wide receiver Tyler Lockett. The play resulted in Exum drawing a 14 yard penalty for unnecessary roughness which helped lead Seattle to its second touchdown of the game.

The injuries did not prevent Exum from playing 66 of Minnesota’s 67 defensive snaps. But now he will not play any snaps on defense for at least two weeks.
Not that Exum played well prior to the injury, but if he was injured at this point it certainly didn't help him play better.

But opposing defenses know that Adrian Peterson doesn't like to run out of the shotgun. So, it stands to reason that they know if the Vikings are lined up with Bridgewater under center and Peterson in the backfield, they're going to be running the football. If they're lined up in the shotgun and Peterson stays on the field. . .a fairly rare occurrence. . .they're probably going to throw the football.
Coaches can read trends, and seeing what is written here teams are playing based on the tendencies.. Norv needs to call more screen/draws/play action and roll outs when Teddy is under center so teams can't target based on tendencies.

This ESPN Article about sums it up:

But Pro Football Focus also shared an interesting stat on Monday morning, pointing out Bridgewater has taken more seven-step dropbacks than any quarterback in the league.

The Vikings have mixed in quick-hitting passes at times this season, but that's not going to be the heart of Norv Turner's Air Coryell offensive scheme.

Unless that changes, or unless Bridgewater and his offense get better at executing what's called, the Vikings could be in for a long night in the desert on Thursday -- especially if Peterson isn't able to carry them against the Cardinals' stout defense.
and this on the Swiss Cheese OL:

Bridgewater was pressured on 39.4 percent of his dropbacks on Sunday, despite the Seahawks sending extra pressure just 6.1 percent of the time. When any team is capable of affecting an opposing quarterback that much with four pass rushers, it's tough to be productive on offense.
Add both up and you'd think Norv would change.. But the "can't teach an old dog new tricks" seems to be about right when it comes to Norv.. :kicksrock:

But opposing defenses know that Adrian Peterson doesn't like to run out of the shotgun. So, it stands to reason that they know if the Vikings are lined up with Bridgewater under center and Peterson in the backfield, they're going to be running the football. If they're lined up in the shotgun and Peterson stays on the field. . .a fairly rare occurrence. . .they're probably going to throw the football.
Coaches can read trends, and seeing what is written here teams are playing based on the tendencies.. Norv needs to call more screen/draws/play action and roll outs when Teddy is under center so teams can't target based on tendencies.
I thought the numbers for Bridgewater out of the shotgun compared to under center were very telling, as well as the numbers for Peterson out of the shotgun. These two things do not mesh together well.

Brdigewater does need to learn to throw from under center however, as part of his continued development.

The deeper drops are part of the problem. That takes more time and Teddy has to turn his back to the defense while doing play action, so this gives him less time to read the defense post snap. Being in the shotgun reduces that time (he is already at the point of his drop when the ball is snapped) and Bridgewater is in position to watch the post snap reaction of the defense, instead of having to process that after he turns around following the play action.

The shotgun formations can be attacked by pass rushers lining up wide nine and getting the outside angle against the offensive tackle, they can pass rush to the spot where Teddy is set up, and as you know the Vikings offensive tackles are not very good at blocking the outside pass rush right now.

Early on in the game on a third and I think three or four yards to go, I saw Bridgewater try to run for the first down taking off up the middle of the pocket. However Clark Seattles DE met Teddy in the hole and prevented him from running for the 1st down. The Seahawks defense was well coached and Clark was in the right place at the right time to stop Teddy from doing this, I am sure based on watching past tendencies. The expression on Teddy's face after the sack was a bit surprised and disappointed.

He needs to make some plays downfield. Until Bridgewater does that, through whatever formation the Vikings use to accomplish it, the defense has no reason to respect it and they will continue to play the defense tight to the line to stop Peterson and the short passing game.

Wow Barr, Smith, Joseph, and Exum all already declared out? Newman practicing at FS? Maybe we should just sit Rhodes, Floyd, Griffen, Teddy, and AP also and just punt this game and get healthy for the last 3 games push to the playoffs. I hate thinking like that but after seeing what the Seahawks just did to us this Cardinals game could get ugly quick.

Wow Barr, Smith, Joseph, and Exum all already declared out? Newman practicing at FS? Maybe we should just sit Rhodes, Floyd, Griffen, Teddy, and AP also and just punt this game and get healthy for the last 3 games push to the playoffs. I hate thinking like that but after seeing what the Seahawks just did to us this Cardinals game could get ugly quick.
Where are you hearing that Newman is moving to safety?

The Hodges trade is coming back to bite us now that Barr and Cole are out. Not that Hodges is a great player, but he is significantly better than Trusnik. Although Greenway has played well at times this year he doesn't have the speed to replace Barr. Hodges would likely be a better option. I think part of the reason they traded Hodges was so they wouldn't feel compelled to start him over Greenway.

Beo said:
Doesn't surprise me at all.. All would have been long shots to play even if the game was on Sunday..

Maybe Norv will shock us all and come out with Teddy in Shotgun 85% of the time and tell ADP to deal with it.. :mellow:

Injuries force backups into big roles, other Vikings snap count observations

Trusnik, meanwhile, replaced Barr in the base defense and played 30 snaps, 10 times as many as he played in his first three games with the team.
I wonder why Trusnik is playing over Edmon Robinson or Watts?

With the Vikings trailing for most of the game, second-year running back Jerick McKinnon out-snapped Adrian Peterson, 22-20. Peterson, of course,was not happy with how he was used. Matt Asiata got just 10 snaps and fullback Zach Line saw the field for just four offensive plays.

They need to get Patterson in the backfield for runs out of the shotgun - also have him run a wheel route from the backfield on a linebacker. If the defense wants to go nickel/dime then run him...I don't see a downside...

They need to get Patterson in the backfield for runs out of the shotgun - also have him run a wheel route from the backfield on a linebacker. If the defense wants to go nickel/dime then run him...I don't see a downside...
Yeah, watching Patterson gallop down the field in and out of traffic on kick returns is really, really frustrating. For me, his upside should be beyond being a threat out of the backfield. What Teddy needs is a 6'4" WR who can take it to the house when defenses go man coverage to blitz. I just find it so hard to accept that Patterson is such a knucklehead that his talents are unusable as an offense threat. Really feels like he's in the permanent dog house because he sometimes zigs when he should zag. If the alternative is 3 yard sideline outs to Kyle Rudolph and an unlimited array of other checkdowns, gotta say I'd take my chances with a dynamic playmaker. You can't teach size and speed.

Biabreakable said:
Desperate times if you guys are looking to Patterson for help.
I guess I am thinking more of seeing if he has any value to the team on offense at all...not necessarily saying he will be an offensive savior.

Biabreakable said:
Desperate times if you guys are looking to Patterson for help.
Meh, call it what you like. I hate myself for feeling that way. I don't know how anyone can see Patterson with the ball in his hands and not feel exasperated that there's no way to coach him into a greater role over 3 years. And it is not as if he never contributed anything... he was showing promise as a rookie and a late season game last year where he had 4-5 catches for 80 yards. Obviously we don't know the whole story, and his decision not to work out with Troy Brown as the coaches wanted is beyond befuddling.

As a Packer fan I will be watching tonight's game with great interest. Obviously it has great implications for the teams involved, but for my team as well. Also, the Packers will have to face each team in the coming weeks so it may shed some light on how those games will go.

I have not yet decided on my rooting interest in the game. I do think the Vikes will have a difficult time given their current injury situation. I know this, if the Vikes win I will be getting a phone call from an old room mate from my time in the Twin Cities. The call will consist of the playing of the Vikings horn, a chortle or two, and then he will hang up. It is a tradition now in its 29th year.

My kids (7 and 5 yo girls) have learned the Viking horn. They've made little horns out of card stock to yell into magnifying the sound.

Wooooo-ooooooo!

I am interested in seeing Anthony Harris play which seems likely considering Blanton is the only healthy safety who has played this season.

Harris has decent size and supposedly good ball skills. More of a free safety than a strong. With the Cardinals passing game I expect the safety play to matter a lot in defending the deep pass.

Blanton is questionable and did not practice all week.

Brandon Watts is also out and supposedly Robinson will be active.

I just don't know how to feel this morning. Pissed we lost in that fashion? Impressed we hung with the Cards with all those injuries? Hopeful for the future given the offense stepped up a bit? Disheartened because Teddy still couldn't finish it out?

Bridgewater was put in a bad position by the coaching staff on that last play.

You know the Cards are bringing the house on that last play.. Why the heck Norv didn't call a roll-out to his right to give him options is beyond :wall:

Loved the gutsy performance.. Down 4 starters of Defense, Swiss Chess OL that hung in there against a fierce Blitzing Cardinal team, Bridgewater throwing for over 300 yards.. so many good things to build on.. Yea, it was disappointing to have that last play end the game.. But compared to how badly they lost to the Seahawks last week this was a lot of fun to watch. :thumbup:

Re-watch the play. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap3000000598884/Can-t-Miss-Play-Vintage-Freeney-seals-victory-for-Cardinals People can blame the coaches or Teddy but I don't see how Matt Kalil doesn't get 95% of the blame for that play. It called the blindside for a reason. Teddy never sees Freeney coming. Kalil does a face plant in 2.5 seconds after the snap.
IMO, if the play had been called as a Roll out to give Teddy time, instead of sitting in the pocket like a dead duck, Kalil's lack of blocking skills never come into affect :)

Captian M needs to walk around wearing a :bag: for the lack of tackling on John Brown's TD catch..

It sure looked to me Captain slowed down and barley attempted to touch him.. Seemed he thought John Brown would just run out of bounds so no need to make sure.. :thumbdown:

Also, wonder if Rhodes hand injury is what cost him an easy pick 6, or he was so shocked to have the ball right there, and the open field he just lost concentration and dropped it?

Re-watch the play. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap3000000598884/Can-t-Miss-Play-Vintage-Freeney-seals-victory-for-Cardinals People can blame the coaches or Teddy but I don't see how Matt Kalil doesn't get 95% of the blame for that play. It called the blindside for a reason. Teddy never sees Freeney coming. Kalil does a face plant in 2.5 seconds after the snap.
IMO, if the play had been called as a Roll out to give Teddy time, instead of sitting in the pocket like a dead duck, Kalil's lack of blocking skills never come into affect :)
I don't know how effective Teddy has been on roll outs but I am guessing it isn't high.

I don't know how effective Teddy has been on roll outs but I am guessing it isn't high.
Did you watch the game last night? Highly effective.

:thumbup: Yea, he has been very effective on roll-outs.. and it certainly couldn't be any worse then sitting in the pocket..

At least with the roll out he has options of throwing it away, running out of bounds, etc..

You mean when he rolled to his left and threw it directly to Patrick Peterson - luckily Diggs managed to knock it away.

You mean when he rolled to his left and threw it directly to Patrick Peterson - luckily Diggs managed to knock it away.
Ok?

Didn't watch the whole "highlight reel" but a Roll out to his right seems right up his alley ...

There are others this year I've seen.. Rolling to his left is :shrug: but he has shown that rolling to his right he can succeed and it gets him away from the rush. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread