What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Minnesota Vikings 2015 Season Thread (1 Viewer)

snellman said:
Anyone else notice the Packers haven't won since Ditka donned the sweater?
You may be on to something there. Cowboys haven't won since Jerry Rice donned the Cowboy hat etc. :)

Great win on the road.

Sunday... Packers @ Vikings ii's going to be an intense chess match :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to come here to say FU Kyle Rudolph. I bet $25 at 3-1 that he would outscore Eifert this week. All he had to do was catch a ball my girlfriend could have caught. Vikings should have cut him before the ball hit the ground.

It's been quite a while since a Viking/Packer week had meaning for both teams ..

Defense and ADP are good enough to keep it close..

Slightly concerned of the "hype" that comes from a big game getting to Teddy so hopefully Norv doesn't try to start the game trying to "fool" the Packers with deep passes.. Stick to the short game and ADP early on..

Here's to the DItka Bad luck charm :banned:

I just wanted to come here to say FU Kyle Rudolph. I bet $25 at 3-1 that he would outscore Eifert this week. All he had to do was catch a ball my girlfriend could have caught. Vikings should have cut him before the ball hit the ground.
Your girlfriend easily catches balls. Got it.

First time in years that I feel the Vikings are the better team. The Vikings have a better defense, better special teams and dont miss tackles. With next to zero running game, the Packers could actually be in for a long day. They need a running game and simply dont have it. They have hurt the Vikings in the past with dump passes and big gashes rushing the football. I think the Vikings D is built to stop those two things. It should be close because the Vikings arent really built to run away with many games unless they get scores on D or special teams. In any case, I expect a purple victory on Sunday.

The Vikings defense has been great against the WR screens all season. This defense is nothing like our defenses in the past that would give up a lot of big plays to screens and also to TEs. Even Chad Greenway has been playing well in coverage recently. They are playing very good team defense all around. The Vikings could have given up less yards if games were not out of reach and the Vikings playing prevent and giving up easy yards at the end of games. I think this defense can beat any team in the league right now.

Injury Report: Matt Kalil Returns to Practice, Questionable Sunday

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. – The Vikings turn their attention to divisional foe Green Bay after using a week of preparation and recovery. LB Eric Kendricks (ribs) was able to return to practice this week and was a full participant in Friday’s practice; he is listed as probable for Sunday’s game.

T Matt Kalil (toe) returned to practice Friday on a limited basis after sitting out Wednesday and Thursday. He is listed as questionable to play against the Packers on Sunday. S Robert Blanton (back) was limited in Friday’s practice, he is also questionable to play on Sunday.

Other players listed on the Vikings injury report are: DT Tom Johnson (concussion), RB Matt Asiata(quadriceps), RB Adrian Peterson (hamstring), DT Sharrif Floyd (knee/ankle), LB Anthony Barr(hand), WR Adam Thielen (shoulder), CB Marcus Sherels (shoulder), DE Justin Trattou (foot) and QB Teddy Bridgewater (left shoulder). All were full participants in Friday’s practice and are all listed as probable for Sunday’s game.
Looks like the Vikings have most everyone healthy. Hopefully Tom Johnson can play.

Meet Matt Kalil's Backup: Rookie Austin Shepherd

I just don't see Green Bay hanging with Minnesota.

Sad but true. Vikings win here and the Packers will be fighting for a WC after Sunday.

I think Minn could be the lock of the week, definitely betting them at a Pick

Sad but true. Vikings win here and the Packers will be fighting for a WC after Sunday.

Mr Pack going for the reverse psychology angle here....lol. I like it and I have used this myself from time to time. While I love where the Vikings are headed, I am still scared to death of Aaron Rodgers especially when everyone is down on him. I am going to go 23-20 Vikings but we have to play perfect. If we turn the ball over a couple of times or miss a fg or 2 it will be a long day.

Mr Pack going for the reverse psychology angle here....lol. I like it and I have used this myself from time to time. While I love where the Vikings are headed, I am still scared to death of Aaron Rodgers especially when everyone is down on him. I am going to go 23-20 Vikings but we have to play perfect. If we turn the ball over a couple of times or miss a fg or 2 it will be a long day.
Call it what you like. I just can't see a scenario where the Packers win, short of putting everything together and playing a perfect game. Not going to happen. And come 6:30ish tonight, I'll be pretty freaking depressed

I have heard a lot of groaning of Packers fans the past couple days. Justis on Arifs podcast for example. Then I listened to a couple other packers podcasts since I enjoyed hearing this moaning so much. It seems to be pretty universal amongst their fans right now. I went and listened to some Packers talking heads talking about they need Eddie Lacy to return to form to help them win this game. :D

I thought the moaning would come after they lost to the Vikings but the Packers fans are already in full blow things up mode already. That's awesome.

Should the over/under for Adrian Peterson be 150 or 200 yards?

Matt Kalil Active and Starting Today vs. Green Bay

Link

Josh Robinson inactive.

Both Abbrederis and Montgomery inactive for the Packers.

Guess they need one more year before they are ready for prime time... :kicksrock:

The OL looked as bad as they have all year and the Packers knew to take advantage of it... No idea why a 4 man rush was the game plan on defense.. Should have done the same as the Packers and taken advantage of a poor GB OL.

Call it what you like. I just can't see a scenario where the Packers win, short of putting everything together and playing a perfect game. Not going to happen. And come 6:30ish tonight, I'll be pretty freaking depressed
iCould you just go ahead and change your user name kthanks!

I have heard a lot of groaning of Packers fans the past couple days. Justis on Arifs podcast for example. Then I listened to a couple other packers podcasts since I enjoyed hearing this moaning so much. It seems to be pretty universal amongst their fans right now. I went and listened to some Packers talking heads talking about they need Eddie Lacy to return to form to help them win this game. :D

I thought the moaning would come after they lost to the Vikings but the Packers fans are already in full blow things up mode already. That's awesome.

Should the over/under for Adrian Peterson be 150 or 200 yards?
Or 50??

I haven't questioned much of what Zimmer has done on defense in his time here, but yesterday I certainly did. We've seen three weeks of teams frustrating Aaron Rodgers by blitzing up the middle and forcing him to make quick throws. Mike Zimmer practically invented the double A gap blitz, yet didn't seem to use it much at all yesterday, despite getting GB into a lot of third and longs. Well, Rodgers took advantage of that lack of pressure and looked comfortable and confident for the first time in 4 weeks.

Not sure why our gameplan on 3rd down was coverage based, but it didn't work in the first half and it upset me that we didn't get aggressive after halftime either.

Still, without the incredible amount of stupid penalties, the Vikings might've still been in that game. First time all year that we've been undisciplined and unfocused. Not a good time for it. Hope we rebound well in Atlanta.

Guess they need one more year before they are ready for prime time... :kicksrock:

The OL looked as bad as they have all year and the Packers knew to take advantage of it... No idea why a 4 man rush was the game plan on defense.. Should have done the same as the Packers and taken advantage of a poor GB OL.
It felt like they were playing back on their heels all day. Like they game planned to keep GB's Offense in front of them and not get beat deep . Worked for the most part (212 for AR & 5 FG), but sacks (certainly looks like Kalil shoulda sat)penalties & not being able to get them off the field on 3rd down were killers.

How did Detroit manhandle these guys and the Vikes get taken out behind the woodshed?

I'm still very happy this team is 7-3... I think it is a testament to the coaching and rebuilding of the defense, which keep me hopeful for the future.

The team is definitely on the rise, but this offensive line remains brutal and that just can't be overcome every week. I'm just glad it doesn't seem to be ruining Bridgewater, who despite taking a beating seems much more resilient than TJack/Ponder. Aside from the penalties, my one huge disappointment is I keep waiting for the game with Green Bay where we finally stop Rodgers from rolling away from the pass rush into what looks like a 15 yard void to navigate from. Seems like it has been happening for years, and yesterday unfortunately was no different. Take the penalties and the bad protection out and I still don't think we beat Green Bay until we collapse pockets on Rodgers.

I'm feeling like we match up fairly well with Atlanta. I do not see them stopping Peterson, and although their offense will get its share of big passing plays, it is sort of soft and surprisingly weak scoring lately. Wouldn't surprise me if we see a repeat of our 2014 game. Our performance last year was a surprise to me, but the Viking defensive is better this season, and McKinnon flourished even without Peterson.

I'm feeling more glass is half empty.....Atlanta, Seattle, Arizona, Chicago, Giants, Packers..........might go 0-6 with this offensive line.

I'm feeling more glass is half empty.....Atlanta, Seattle, Arizona, Chicago, Giants, Packers..........might go 0-6 with this offensive line.
Eh, Bears and Giants don't scare me. This has 9-7 written all over it.
Still see a chance at 10-6 or if I get real greedy 11-5...Seattle gave up 13 points to gabbert and some running back the 49ers found off the streets and that was in Seattle.. At home I give them a small edge...

plus I think they can beat the Falcons this week.. Giants and Bears at home... 11-5 is definitely within reach. :banned:

I can't figure out why they didn't blitz more????

Those penalties kill the offense - takes the threat of the run out and the o-line isn't good enough pass blocking to help Teddy out.

Those penalties kill the offense - takes the threat of the run out and the o-line isn't good enough pass blocking to help Teddy out.
:goodposting: Offense killed themselves in the first half with the penalties. Defense was playing fairly good in the first half with the bend but don't break and holding GB to field goals. The PI on Newman was the back breaker and a call I did not agree with. Let's be honest, this offense is not built to come from behind at this point.

Everyone including that squirrel knows that Aaron Rodgers will roll out to the right and the WR run a scramble drill.

So why the hell is our defense not ready to counter that??

Everything else does not matter until the Vikings learn how to stop Rodgers from doing this.

Everyone including that squirrel knows that Aaron Rodgers will roll out to the right and the WR run a scramble drill.

So why the hell is our defense not ready to counter that??

Everything else does not matter until the Vikings learn how to stop Rodgers from doing this.
Worse than that is they didn't jam the GB WR even though it's been shown they suck betting it.

The entire game plan was questionable. They didn't challenge receivers at the line even though the Vikings defensive backs are pretty good at that. Teams have been playing receivers behind the LOS and use rubs and things to prevent Rhodes from playing press because he is very good at that.

The offense gave up on the run too quickly and pass drops were too long for our offensive line to protect Teddy. Teddy himself keeps holding the ball too long, the windows that receivers are open for is very short. He needs to read this quick enough that he can anticipate it and get the ball there on time before the opening closes.

That drop by Mike Wallace is something I have seen too much of from him this season.

The Vikings gave up on the run too quickly and Peterson still cannot protect the football. It is like he has gone back to 2009 again as far as holding on to the football. Kirby Wilson doesn't seem to be doing a good job that Peterson continues to have these flaws in areas that need to be corrected. Peterson did actually have some good blocks in pass protection so hopefully he and the coach keep working on his technique there.

The offensive line needs an infushion of talent. It takes awhile for offensive lines to gel and become a good unit. The Vikings need better personnel on the offensive line to work with.

There is plenty of blame all around but I still don't think any of that matters as much as the defense being able to stop Rodgers from scrambling to the right every freakin play.

I'm just not sure the conventional gap blitz would help with how Green Bay runs its offense against the Vikes. If you look at how they are pass protecting... they actually block to keep our guys trapped in the pocket while Rodgers rolls. Gap blitz results in one more defender to get swallowed into a pocket Rodgers has already run away from, and one less defender in pass protection. What we need is Joey Browner waiting for Rodgers in that right void. One time.

Better safety play would help. Harrison Smith had that missed tackle on Lacy that looked like he didn't want to take him head on. Like he was trying to grab him from the side and just hold on waiting for help like he did aganst Gurley. Smith is a great safety but I didn't like how he played on these.

Kenricks didn't play as well as he was before the injury but I think he is going to be very good in time.

Barr is the guy I think you want shadowing Rodgers.

I think the defense is very close to being great. A good safety would really help. Maybe Newman will move to safety at some point is an interesting idea I have heard some suggest but the Vikings need a long term solution there.

Hopefully Waynes will pan out and be able to start opposite Rhodes at some point. Another corner could still help but I think the Vikings depth at the position is the best it has been in a long time.

The Vikings need another DE because Robison is getting up there. Hunter has played well and Crichton has at times as well. Maybe they will develop into players as good as Griffen in time.

I think offensive line is a greater priority than defense however so I hope the Vikings can find more help there than they have relying on Clemmings who still cannot pass protect. Some think the Vikings still need a WR and maybe they do but I think the offensive line is a bigger problem than the WR.

I'm a Packer fan. I saw a Viking's team with need of work along their offensive line, but I also saw a young Q.B. look sharp and poised, and a young W.R. running great, sharp, and fearless routes. I saw a defense with some ability and a coaching staff that kept its head in the game. A break or two here, a withheld call or two there by the Refs and that game turns out differently. To me the Vikings are clearly on an ascending path.

This year may be one year too early to really consider the Vikings serious contenders for anything other than to slip into a wild card spot, but who knows, other teams have arrived ahead of schedule and the Vikings may do so as well. At any rate I do know that they would take great relish in dumping a steamer all over the Packers playoff hopes in their next meeting, and they just may have the goods to do so. The Vikes are a team to respect and even fear again, good for them.

Film: One-dimensional Vikings can’t overcome porous play up front

Personnel groupings (#)
3 receivers / tight end (11): 36
2 receivers / 2 tight ends (12): 8
2 receivers / tight end / fullback (21): 8
1 receiver / 2 tight ends / fullback (22): 7
1 receiver / 3 tight ends (13): 3
Total: 62 plays

With Kalil playing through an injury and the Packers defense being stronger against the pass than the run I was expecting the Vikings to use more 2 and 3 TE sets as they had been doing the previous two games.

The holding penalties took the Vikings out of these bigger formations in the early going and then being behind in the score led to more passing. Not the kind of game the Vikings want to play using their weakness against the defenses strength.

Users who are viewing this thread