What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Minnesota Vikings 2015 Season Thread (1 Viewer)

I watched the Rams against the Seahawks in week 15 to see how they pulled off a victory against them recently.

The Seahawks are missing LT Okung and the replacement has a false start on the Seahawks 1st drive. The Rams are using a lot of pressure to force the LT to pick who to block and he cant block both pass rushers. Wilson does a good job of getting the ball away. The Seahawks punt and give the Rams good field position.

The Rams get one explosive play from Austin who lines up in the backfield 3TE to the right and Austin is covered by a LB in the flat. Austin uses a spin move to get extra yardage and a first down. Gurley has a nice run on 2nd down but Keenum fails to convert the 1st down on a 3rd down scramble and the Rams kick a field goal.

On the following drive the Seahawks get backed up by a high snap that Michael recovers losing yardage. Russell gets the ball to Baldwin on 2nd down almost getting all that yardage back. The Seahawks run a FB dive play but the FB fumbles the ball which is recovered by Ayers for a TD.

The Seahawks offense made a lot of mistakes on these first two drives. A false start, a high snap and then a fumble.

The Seahawks flip the field with a nice punt downed at the 2 or 3 yard line. The Rams are able to get a 1st down but when they do punt the Seahawks still have pretty good field position. On 2nd down Wilson throws the ball after he crossed the line of scrimmage putting them in 3rd and long. Wilson is intercepted on the next play which is a bomb to Lockett who is double covered. This interception functionally becomes a punt.

The Rams get a roughness call as a defender hits QB Keenum after he had slid. Somewhat similar to the penalty the Rams had for doing the same thing to Bridgewater. The Rams get another first down from a good run by Gurley but they piss the drive away with an attempted reverse that fails and a WR screen to Austin that also fails.

The Rams do use 3 safeties and have had 7 defensive backs on the field on 2 separate 3rd down plays. The Vikings weakest link of their defense is at safety, so this is not something they will do. You don’t take Barr or Kendricks off the field.

After the Rams punt they do a good job of stopping the run and Ayers gets to Wilson on a blitz on 3rd down forcing Seattle to punt. Austin gets a nice return setting the Rams up in field goal range.

On the Rams 1st play Keenum makes a nice throw to Britt who just beats Sherman on a go route. Sherman tries to give Britt a shove at the beginning of his release but kind of loses on the exchange. Britt shows some nice juice to accelerate and get to the ball at the end of the route. The kicker misses the extra point.

16-0 Rams

After this Seahawks are able to drive into FG range before half time. There are penalties that go back and forth but the defense is able to make a stand in the end.

In the second half the Seahawks are able to put together a long drive that at one point was stopped on 3rd down but Fisher decides to accept a holding call and push them back to 3rd and 31 to help get better field position. Wilson gets the ball to Baldwin setting up a 4th and 3 which they go for and convert on, extending the drive. Some more penalties on both sides but eventually the Seahawks are able to score a TD reducing the Rams lead to six points.

The Rams put together a drive by using some come back routes against the cover 3 and some good running from Gurley. The Rams have two fumbles on the drive but their center recovers both of them eventually setting up Gurley for the score.

The Rams offensive line is not that good, but they are still able to block well enough for Gurley to find a gap. I can see Peterson being just as if not more successful running against their defense. The Vikings have done well with come back routes to the receivers at times so they may have success with that. So many teams have opted to play man coverage against the Vikings is part of why we have been seeing so many crossing patterns. I still see Seattle playing more zone against the Rams than man.

I think Brian Robison and Hunter should have a good match up against their right tackle who seemed to be unable to block the Rams LDE all game.

According to Pete Carrol Russell Okung should be back to play LT. They will need him because Griffen is playing some really good football right now.

I don't think Floyd and Johnson are as good as Donald and Brockers, but Seattle really struggled to block these guys all game. The Vikings defensive line should be able to get pressure on WIlson. The difficult part is containing him just as it is with Rodgers. Wilson has that spin move that lets him escape pressure so well. He has counter moves to this also. Really difficult to bring him down. So having Barr or Kendricks blitz and spy him is a way that I think they can try to do that. I saw some of this in the Packers game. The Rams were doing this by sending an extra LB loading up one side then having the opposite DE play contain, expecting Wilson to roll away from the pass rush. Also keeping their MLB as a spy at times to prevent him from running up the middle.

On offense try to be patient, run the ball and don't turn it over.

It's going to be very cold for this game. Projected temp around 1/zero for the game with 10-15 mph winds making it feel much colder.

Will it help the home team? Hopefully Peterson will have a monster day and they can keep it on the ground.

It's going to be very cold for this game. Projected temp around 1/zero for the game with 10-15 mph winds making it feel much colder.

Will it help the home team? Hopefully Peterson will have a monster day and they can keep it on the ground.
I certainly think it will.

It's definitely an interesting dynamic to this game. I'm not sure whether it actually favors either team after seeing Captain Munnerlyn talk about having never seen snow until he became a Viking. Reality is Viking players haven't played in this sort of cold either, and no NFL player is accustomed to that brutal environment. It will come down to which team is tougher minded, but both of these coaches seem to be good motivators. I don't consider Seattle to be overly reliant on intricate play calling... seems to me they will prefer to run although the elements could hamper downfield passing to the Vikes benefit (since they have none to begin with, and Seattle has recently). However, when all is said and done I think this game hinges on the Vikes ability to keep Russell Wilson in the pocket. If he's rolling out and picking up 10 yards and demoralizing 1st downs, it will be a long day regardless of the elements. If they keep him in the pocket, I could see a 17-13 coin flip.

I don't care what anyone says. You can't get used to bitter cold. I suppose you can mentally, but your body doesn't adjust any better.

BusterTBronco said:
I wonder how much the Vikings and their dumb fans will "like" their new outdoor stadium when game time temp is zero degrees and they are getting their butts kicked by a superior team.

Probably not very much.
TCF Bank Stadium opened in 2009.

BusterTBronco said:
I wonder how much the Vikings and their dumb fans will "like" their new outdoor stadium when game time temp is zero degrees and they are getting their butts kicked by a superior team.

Probably not very much.
Yea.. Not sure who these posters are but they are showing they are quite clueless to where the Vikings are playing..

I guess in their minds they should have just moved to a different state in the south until their new stadium was built.. :loco:

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Klingon proverb.

The table is set for the Vikings to serve up a season ending loss to the Seahawks. They just need to seize the moment.

Go Vikings!! Fight Fight Fight!!

BusterTBronco said:

Probably not very much.
Yea.. Not sure who these posters are but they are showing they are quite clueless to where the Vikings are playing..

I guess in their minds they should have just moved to a different state in the south until their new stadium was built.. :loco:
The only thing I will say in defense of the morons is the City/State should have built the stadium in a new area (Arden Hills anyone?). Then they could have played in the dump dome while the new stadium was being built.

It has been kind of fun watching outdoor football the last couple of years though. I should have gone to the game tomorrow, but I am a wimp in my old age so will be watching from the comfort of my recliner.

BusterTBronco said:

Probably not very much.
Yea.. Not sure who these posters are but they are showing they are quite clueless to where the Vikings are playing..I guess in their minds they should have just moved to a different state in the south until their new stadium was built.. :loco:
The only thing I will say in defense of the morons is the City/State should have built the stadium in a new area (Arden Hills anyone?). Then they could have played in the dump dome while the new stadium was being built.

It has been kind of fun watching outdoor football the last couple of years though. I should have gone to the game tomorrow, but I am a wimp in my old age so will be watching from the comfort of my recliner.
The Arden hills one looked Great........ on paper.. but the cost to fix the infrastructure as well as cleanup the ground made it a dead idea before the ink dried. :kicksrock:

But now they've cleaned up that area anyway.

It's about five minutes from my house.

I was going to open a shuttle service.

No. No one wants Arden Hills. I went to Bethel. It's the most boring part of a fairly boring metro. And also the mercury.

Downtown will be far superior.

We are getting a new stadium so that is the main thing, but it would have been nice to have an area with more parking area and tailgating area much like Arrowhead.

No. No one wants Arden Hills. I went to Bethel. It's the most boring part of a fairly boring metro. And also the mercury.

Downtown will be far superior.
Well it wouldn't have been boring if a Vikings stadium was built there.Anyway, I've been working downtown for most of the last 1.5 years and it's been fun watching it go up. Come March I'll be in the new Wells Fargo buildings that are by the new stadium...the ones that the Vikes were mad had such big signs on them.

The Vieks are going to win this game.

The Vikes are nuts for not playing outdoors.
If the owners had paid for it themselves it may have been.. But when they asked for Public :moneybag: it all but guaranteed it would be a dome as it will be used for more then just football.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering no one had the Vikings anywhere close to winning the North or even making the playoffs I'm still happy with the way the season went. Sucks to have it come down to a missed FG, but they at least had a chance there.. :thumbup:

Need to find a WR,, some more depth at OL and get Norv to get out of his comfort zone and call more roll outs.

:banned:

Horrible luck with the bad snap turning into a big play and also the AP fumble. Few kickers in the league are better than Walsh, that was unbelievable how that ended.

Considering no one had the Vikings anywhere close to winning the North or even making the playoffs I'm still happy with the way the season went. Sucks to have it come down to a missed FG, but they at least had a chance there.. :thumbup:

Need to find a WR,, some more depth at OL and get Norv to get out of his comfort zone and call more roll outs.

no. #### you. None of this 'well we outperformed expectations' bull####. AP should be gone. This was nothing but him choking.

Disappointing end to an otherwise great season by the Vikings.

This is a game the Vikings could have won. They beat themselves again.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I'm so ready for the Adrian Peterson era to be over with in Minnesota. I feel they would be a better team without him, and that money could be used for so OL. It would be Teddy's team then.

Take a breath, have a :banned: and be happy.. It is, in the end, just a game and it was a fun season... we as fans have a lot to look forward to with such a young team. :thumbup:

no. #### you. None of this 'well we outperformed expectations' bull####. AP should be gone. This was nothing but him choking.
We always hear "it's Peterson's team" or "his running opens up the passing game". Yet he can't block for ####, frequently coughs up the ball and can't run out of the shotgun. He's holding Teddy back as much as anything. He was downright horrible today.

Disappointing end to an otherwise great season by the Vikings.

This is a game the Vikings could have won. They beat themselves again.
:goodposting:

Really good season. Sorry it ended that way, played well enough to get the win.

The best coach in the division accomplished a lot this year.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I'm so ready for the Adrian Peterson era to be over with in Minnesota. I feel they would be a better team without him, and that money could be used for so OL. It would be Teddy's team then.
This team doesn't win the North, or make it to the playoffs this year without AP.. Teddy is still learning the game and the OL is not good enough.. and releasing/trading him wouldn't have saved enough money this year to help that..

Saying that.. With the season he had, his value is higher then it was last year and you just know Jerry Jones will pay up for him..

Doug Martin is "only" 26 and is a free agent.. If you can work out a trade to Dallas for a OL and a draft pick... then go after Doug Martin, resign Asista and draft a RB later in the draft.

:shrug:

i'm done with these ####s.

#### the positive future. you win now win you have the chance. bull ####.
:shrug: No matter how many times you look through your Purple colored glasses you had to see they weren't winning the Super Bowl this year.. right.. :oldunsure: .. the Swiss Cheese OL was never going to allow that.

I remember back before 1998 when this would have affected my mood for days/weeks.. and it wasn't the Gary Anderson miss that changed me... it was my daughter's birth about two months before that missed kick..

After that point, although I still bleed Purple, I don't take it nearly as serious as I did before she came into my life.

Perspective folks, perspective :)

We always hear "it's Peterson's team" or "his running opens up the passing game". Yet he can't block for ####, frequently coughs up the ball and can't run out of the shotgun. He's holding Teddy back as much as anything. He was downright horrible today.
Remember the New Orleans game a few years back? All Peterson had to do was not cough it up MULTIPLE times in the red zone and we would have taken NO to the wood shed.Yes, he'll make the HOF just on career yards, but forever be known as a choke in the important games.

So, in the draft...
OL.. WR .. CB/Safety... In that order..

Diggs was a GREAT find.. Wallace is just OK in this scheme and well... all the rest are just fillers..

Of course some of that maybe addressed in Free Agency and/or trades.. :popcorn:

ETA link to free agent list..

IF, they decide to trade AP while his value is high enough, then could see them making a run for Doug Martin at RB..

Not a Lot of WR's to chase, so probably better off working the draft.

I remember back before 1998 when this would have affected my mood for days/weeks.. and it wasn't the Gary Anderson miss that changed me... it was my daughter's birth about two months before that missed kick..

After that point, although I still bleed Purple, I don't take it nearly as serious as I did before she came into my life.

This is me almost exactly. My daughter was about a month old when the Anderson miss happened and I've really never really had the intensity I had back then.

This is me almost exactly. My daughter was about a month old when the Anderson miss happened and I've really never really had the intensity I had back then.
:hifive:

Users who are viewing this thread