What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Minnesota Vikings 2016 Season Thread (1 Viewer)

A win is a win.. But dam, you can't get inside the 5 yard line and not even get 3.. Ridiculous that they keep insisting they can run it up the middle.. 13 games and they still don't want to believe that is a recipe for failure.

Rest of the season is still, IMO, setting up at least a 9-7 season.. Should beat the Colts at home next week and Chicago at home to end the season..

At GB on Christmas eve is a whole different story.. I have no clue which Packer team, or for that matter, which Viking team will show up.
Packers destroyed Seattle yesterday.. But then again so did Tampa a few weeks back.. 

Vikings D continues to try and carry this team, but you can sense the "tiredness" of watching the Offense continue to be mediocre.

Did like seeing Bradford throw deep( 20+ yards in the air) and connect on those passes yesterday. If he can do that a few more times it will open up the middle more as defenders won't be able to "sit" on the routes.

Onto the Colts! :popcorn:

Bradford did more roll outs yesterday too, right? Minus the OL shortcomings, I think he's looked decent when he's had time to at least think about looking past his first read. I don't think our line is any better than Seattle's (or Philly's for that matter) and we haven't had any 5 INT games. There's a crap ton of guys that a lot of us would've taken over Braford for the same price at the beginning of the year that are having less than stellar years (Palmer, Rivers, Flacco) with better lines. And he showed some Russel Wilson in him on those scrambles. OK  may not so much. 

They really need to try and use that Asiata slamming into the DL wall as a set up for something other than next Asiata slamming into a DL wall or a 3rd and 9 and a half. He definitely looked like he was channeling his inner Eddie Lacy with the spin moves there. The Rudolph TD was a play action wasn't it?

I was shocked when I saw McKinnon actually make a couple guys miss and the team finally getting him more involved in the passing game. I still think they need to have more sets with both RBs in there and make the defense guess some. 

All in all, a good game, but with Stafford dinged I still would like to have had that Detroit game as a W.

Bradford is ok but he does resort to the check down too often, when he is capable of pushing the ball downfield. Now a lot of this is the game plan, getting the ball out quickly and not taking the time to set up longer developing plays. Some of it is just Bradford punking out and taking the easy check down.

The Rudolph TD was play action then roll to the right. This is a play they have been running to him all year long and one of the more effective ones. It is an easy read for the QB, either Rudolph gets separation on the roll out or he doesn't.

Not being able to score or gain yards on short yardage is almost completely on the offensive line not getting any push. Asiata is fine if you block a little bit.The Vikings just generating no push at all for the RB to work with. RB are so used to being met in the backfield they are running defensively, instead of having the expectation that blocking will be there for them to follow with a head of steam.

Bradford is ok but he does resort to the check down too often, when he is capable of pushing the ball downfield. Now a lot of this is the game plan, getting the ball out quickly and not taking the time to set up longer developing plays. Some of it is just Bradford punking out and taking the easy check down.

The Rudolph TD was play action then roll to the right. This is a play they have been running to him all year long and one of the more effective ones. It is an easy read for the QB, either Rudolph gets separation on the roll out or he doesn't.

Not being able to score or gain yards on short yardage is almost completely on the offensive line not getting any push. Asiata is fine if you block a little bit.The Vikings just generating no push at all for the RB to work with. RB are so used to being met in the backfield they are running defensively, instead of having the expectation that blocking will be there for them to follow with a head of steam.
Well there is a reason they are on the depth charts as the 3rd LT, 3rd RT, 2nd LG, 2nd RG, 2nd Center.. You are not 2nd or 3rd if you are starting material ;)

Yeah the only starter who may actually be of starting quality on the offensive line is Joe Berger, and he is pretty old already.

I guess the Vikings decided to put Sharrif Floyd on IR and promoted Toby Johnson to the active roster as the 4th DT. People are speculating that this means the Vikings will not retain Floyd next season. He is however under contract, for something close to 7 million as part of the 5 year extension they put in last spring. This contract is only garunteed for injury however, which Floyd has been injured more than he has been healthy. Given how much the Vikings cap space is tied up with injured players right now, this is something they may be looking to avoid with Floyd in the future. I think that is reasonable. Floyd has been a impact player at times when he has been healthy, and likely not concerned about finding a new contract if the Vikings do decide to let him go.

My main reservation about letting Floyd go would be that Tom Johnson is getting older, so if his play should fall off, the Vikings would need another under tackle. This is something that also can be addressed through the draft, if they do let Floyd walk. Shamar Stephen has played very well at times this season. Providing quality depth and usually pretty good against the run, just not as good as a pass rusher, which is kind of what Floyd was for the Vikings also. Tom Johnson a better pass rusher than Floyd, but Floyd perhaps better than Joseph, although I doubt it. I like having Joseph on the field. You have Robison coming in as a DT in more obvious pass rushing situations along with Johnson.

What did you all think of the play of Anthony Harris replacing Harrison Smith?

My guess is ADP gets at most 10 carries. Thinking today is all about him getting his "Game Legs" to be ready for Christmas Eve at GB..

The D should be able to take advantage of a weak Colt OL to get pressure on Luck to force a turnover or two, possibly score a TD to help the Vikes to a much needed victory.. 24-13 Vikes! :popcorn:

Adrian Peterson signed a 3 year, $42,000,000 contract with the Minnesota Vikings, including $20,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $14,000,000. In 2016, Peterson will earn a base salary of $7,750,000, a roster bonus of $4,000,000 and a workout bonus of $250,000.

Nice return on investment Rick.  Time to get a GM who realizes that star running backs are not a significant factor in winning ball games. 

So many things to fix in the off season.. 90% of it on the Offensive side of the ball.

The very first thing will be to find an Offensive Coordinator that can be a little inventive. No idea why Patterson was being used so little yet again today. Sweeps, end around, etc.. he has the ability to break big plays and the fact they refuse to be inventive in using him is beyond confusing.

Then they'll need to look for a RB as pretty sure they won't keep ADP at his salary and it has been proven that McKinnon and Asiata are not starters.

The OL... LT is top priority.. Even before the injuries it was a weak spot going into this season.

A lot of what happens though, other then a OC, will all depend on how Teddy looks come March. :oldunsure:

Can I just say WTF. Not a question really. More of a statement born out of frustration. Are the Vikes an elite D or not? Well clearly not. Sucks to find this out during the fantasy playoffs. The inconsistency is terrible. Fix it!

Last edited by a moderator:
bang up job today guys.  Way to put forth the effort with the season on the line.
Well, the "funny" thing is.. even with this embarrassing loss, they are not eliminated.. They lose control of their own destiny, and it would take a lights out, best game of the year next week win at GB to keep it alive.. But alive they are ;)

Well, the "funny" thing is.. even with this embarrassing loss, they are not eliminated.. They lose control of their own destiny, and it would take a lights out, best game of the year next week win at GB to keep it alive.. But alive they are ;)
Oh they are eliminated.  Whether you realize it or not...

Today was ridiculously bad.. Almost felt like the Defense thought.. ADP is back so no need to bring our A game.. :oldunsure:

Yeah man. Sorry it sucks.  Just feel like for so many reasons this should not have happened.
The Vikings are good at this. Whenever the Vikings are favored, I get nervous, because they have lost so many games they were favored in, in colorful ways that you would never expect. The flip side of this is the Vikings will win games they have no business winning at times as well.

This is a game they should have won. I heard all week how bad their offensive line is and the Vikings defensive line had been played great the past couple weeks as well. Didn't matter. Luck is good.

Today was ridiculously bad.. Almost felt like the Defense thought.. ADP is back so no need to bring our A game.. :oldunsure:
tbh I didn't really want Peterson to come back. I felt that move was all about energizing the fans for the second to last home game, but Peterson does not fit what the offense has been doing.

I can't explain why the defense didn't show up. This seems like as a good an explanation as any for that.

I won't be saying much about the game though since I slept through most of it.

Yet another :yawn: offensive game plan.. Just no imagination at all.. Pocket 5 yard passes.. The few times they actually "went deep" they connected. But those calls are so far and between that it really doesn't cause the Defense to worry..

Lot's to do in the Off Season starting with finding a Offensive Coordinator. The deciding if the injured OL players can recover and are good enough to stay as starters,, Next find a Running back as I don't see Peterson staying, and McKinnon and Asiata have proven to be at best 3rd down backs.

Clemmings needs to be the first "causality" he sucked at Guard and has been even worse at Tackle.

And that's just on the Offensive side of the ball.

I hate the Patriots but I do believe they are the best run organization in football.  They would have parted ways with Peterson years ago.  I wish the Vikings would part ways with Speilman and get a GM that isn't afraid to make unpopular decisions that will make the Vikings a better football team.  

A monkey pulling names out of a hat could have drafted better than Spielman did last year.  

I hate the Patriots but I do believe they are the best run organization in football.  They would have parted ways with Peterson years ago.  I wish the Vikings would part ways with Speilman and get a GM that isn't afraid to make unpopular decisions that will make the Vikings a better football team.  

A monkey pulling names out of a hat could have drafted better than Spielman did last year.  
Spielman has made a few mistakes but he's a top-10 GM. I agree re:Peterson  

Judging a draft less than a full season in? 

The Vikings have had some failed draft picks. Ponder for sure. Patterson Barr and Kalil, it kind of depends I think how you judge if they were successful players for the investment or not. Kalil and Barr were very early picks, that I was hoping for a bit more from based on their draft position. Floyd has missed a lot of playing time. Waynes seems to still struggle at times, but too early to really judge him yet.

There have been a lot of good picks, such as Smith, Hunter, Kendricks, Rhodes. I think Spielman has done a good job of getting the players the coaches want to work with. A lot of these players are being drafted for their athleticism, and need to be coached into good football players, which takes time, or maybe never happens.

I do think Bridgewater was the answer as far as QB of the present and future, but with his injury, that is no longer certain or settled. 

I have seen enough of Bradford that I don't consider him the long term answer. I still like having him on the team and I don't regret the pick they gave up to get him, but ideally he would be a back up QB who could win games for you if the starter goes down.

What is this stuff about the DB's disregarding the gameplan on the field?
DB's go "Rogue"...

The Minnesota Vikings’ defensive backs heard head coach Mike Zimmer’s game plan heading into Saturday’s game against the Green Bay Packers. The Vikings chose not to listen to it.

Zimmer wanted top cornerback Xavier Rhodes to follow receiver Jordy Nelson for the entire game, but the Vikings corners decided on their own they would stick to their respective sides of the field.

At first, Rhodes didn’t want to talk about it after the game. But then he told The Star Tribune that the players decided Zimmer’s plan was a bad one. In essence, they went rogue on their coach.

It didn’t work. Nelson torched the Vikings for nine catches (on 11 targets) for 154 yards and two touchdowns in the Packers victory. But in the second half, with Rhodes on Nelson exclusively, the receiver was held to two catches for 9 yards.

“That’s what he was supposed to do the whole game,” Zimmer said. “Someone decided they wouldn’t do that.”
:shock: Just unbelievable and something needs to be done before he "loses the team".. Have to believe Zimmer will come down hard on them this week with either a large fine, or if I were him, 2 a day practices for the DB's..

How does that go on for a whole half...hard to imagine a coach allowing insubordination for more than a series.  Why no shots of Zimmer reaming the two out on the sidelines?

Seems like he's already lost part of the team...

I'm seeing all sorts of crazy talk on Purple Thoughts about Zimmer being done over this mutiny. Ridiculous. This season was lost, regardless, and seems like it was a good teachable moment and he shined a spotlight on it. Zimmer is a fine coach, he simply had nothing to work with on the offensive line.

As far as the Green Bay game, it was pretty obvious early on where it was going. When the Vikes keep Rodgers in the pocket, they win. When he buys 6 seconds rolling out, they lose. Simple as that. I don't care what the DBs are scheming, it is all moot when Rodgers has 8 seconds. 

DB's go "Rogue"...

:shock: Just unbelievable and something needs to be done before he "loses the team".. Have to believe Zimmer will come down hard on them this week with either a large fine, or if I were him, 2 a day practices for the DB's..
If that's a true story, Spielman needs to cut someone today.
Doubt they cut anyone... But would not be surprised if the Vikings start putting feelers out for trade offers.. They need a lot of rebuilding on the offensive side of the ball.. Can't imagine Zimmer just :shrug:   this off.

I am not sure what to make of the yahoo story where Rhodes is saying they did not stick with the game plan.

I do recall some talk about Munnerlyn not always playing the way Zimmer wanted him to, and that he was on the hot seat because of it. Munnerlyn changed his ways and played within the system last season.

Early on this year there was talk from Zimmer about giving the players more freedom in how they play within the defense. So perhaps the players have more liberty than we might think?

In any case I think Zimmer has certain techniques and ways he wants his players to play. He coaches them on that all the time. I am pretty sure they know what they are supposed to do and how to do it under many different situations.

Munnerlyn is a free agent that I am not sure if the Vikings give a new contract or not. I think he has played well enough to deserve one, but not sure how Zimmer feels about that. Newman is obviously very old to still be playing, but he has played well for the most part. Not sure if he will be back next season or not.

Considering the disaster that was the OL and Running back I think Bradford exceeded expectations. With so many questions on whether Teddy will recover in time for next year it is nice to know Bradford will be around. :thumbup:

With two 2nd & two 3rd round picks it should be interesting to see if they make moves in the draft.

I just started looking at rookie offensive linemen prospects and I don't think the talent is as poor as some (Such as Ben Leber) have made it seem recently. There are some first round talents at tackle this year and if one of those should fall towards the end of the 1st round, then sure the Vikings have been known to trade up for a player they really like before.

The Vikings only have one second round pick which should be pick 46-48 depending on how the three 8-8 teams picks are assigned.

Draft picks

2nd round3rd round3rd round (from Miami)4th round4th round (from Miami)5th round6th round7th round

I throught the Vikings owe the Eagles a 2nd to fourth round pick for Bradofrd also. Not sure if this is accounted for or not.

A 2nd and 3rd round pick might not be enough to move into the end of the first round though. I recall the Vikings paying a 2nd 3rd and 4th to move up for Patterson.

Considering the disaster that was the OL and Running back I think Bradford exceeded expectations. With so many questions on whether Teddy will recover in time for next year it is nice to know Bradford will be around. :thumbup:

With two 2nd & two 3rd round picks it should be interesting to see if they make moves in the draft.
Interesting, I did not know the Vikes had extra draft capital in those rounds.

I just started looking at rookie offensive linemen prospects and I don't think the talent is as poor as some (Such as Ben Leber) have made it seem recently. There are some first round talents at tackle this year and if one of those should fall towards the end of the 1st round, then sure the Vikings have been known to trade up for a player they really like before.

The Vikings only have one second round pick which should be pick 46-48 depending on how the three 8-8 teams picks are assigned.

Draft picks

2nd round3rd round3rd round (from Miami)4th round4th round (from Miami)5th round6th round7th round

I throught the Vikings owe the Eagles a 2nd to fourth round pick for Bradofrd also. Not sure if this is accounted for or not.

A 2nd and 3rd round pick might not be enough to move into the end of the first round though. I recall the Vikings paying a 2nd 3rd and 4th to move up for Patterson.
I believe it's a 4th in 2018 to finish off the Bradford trade. Would have been a 3rd if made the NFCC and a 2nd if Super Bowl. 

Interesting, I did not know the Vikes had extra draft capital in those rounds.
Based on the post above mine I guess they only have one 2nd round.. It is two 3rd round and two 4th round..

Watching the game on Sunday the announcers mentioned two 2nd round picks.. Guess I should know better then believe announcers ;)

Damn, I bet they wish they hadn't traded for Bradford. They'd have rolled out some scrub QB and probably gotten a top 5 pick. They need a ton on offense to compete with GB and the Lions in coming years.

Damn, I bet they wish they hadn't traded for Bradford. They'd have rolled out some scrub QB and probably gotten a top 5 pick. They need a ton on offense to compete with GB and the Lions in coming years.
Except NFL franchises don't work this way. This year's team isn't playing/not playing for next year's.

Except for the Browns, of course. They're always playing for their next top five pick.

Except NFL franchises don't work this way. This year's team isn't playing/not playing for next year's.

Except for the Browns, of course. They're always playing for their next top five pick.
It's not very common for teams to trade a first round pick for a QB when theirs goes down, is it?  Usually teams roll with their backup.  I'm guessing they did it for 3 reasons; AP, amazing D, and how serious the injury is. 

And it's the job of the GM to plan for future years, even if the players aren't.

For sure IMO. Terrible trade and all for the fact that they rolled into the season with a terrible backup. Both are on the GM.

Users who are viewing this thread