What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Pep Hamilton is killing FF teams (1 Viewer)

NajehHejan

Footballguy
Luck is not putting up the QB1 numbers anticipated. Who cares if the real life Colts are winning games? Magic football owners everywhere are the real losers here.

I became worried when Irsay started tweeting about protecting Luck and got really worried when they acquired Richardson and professed it was because they wanted to run a power running attack. Power running attack usually being synonymous with high volume wear defenses down running attack.

So yea I think it's stock down for every single fantasy player for the Colts. Lucks going to get saved a lot with his running ability for fantasy purposes but still I'm starting to think he's going to be a far superior NFL QB than fantasy QB.

It's unfortunate for fantasy people but it's a wise move by the Colts. Luck impressed me a great deal last year not just with his play but how tough he was to keep getting back after taking some huge shots. Going to a power running attack with two high caliber RB's is a great way to protect Luck and that should be the primary concern.

Luck = Aikman

A fine QB who may never need the fantasy numbers to win in real football.

Luck = Aikman

A fine QB who may never need the fantasy numbers to win in real football.
This.

Richardson may not benefit from the change of scenery as much either. I suspect he'll have a shot at a TD a ga. But the yards will be down as long as Bradshaw and even Brown get in on the act.

I was originally really high on Luck and still had him as one of my targets at QB going into my auction draft. I ended up getting Matt Ryan for what I thought was a great price and $1 more than Luck went for. After 3 weeks its looking like I was fortunate in that regard.

I didnt do nearly as much prep work this summer as I usually do and didnt really pay attention to the Hamilton hire. Luck will have weeks where he gets his FF numbers but it's looking more and more like his upside is limited in this offense.

Colts OC: Less 'run-1st' & more 'score-1st' O

Colts OC Pep Hamilton said he's taken a "score-first" mindset heading into his second season on the job.
Hamilton unsuccessfully preached and practiced a run-first, physical style of offense as a rookie NFL coordinator. He's come to realize he can't jam a square peg into a round hole. Hamilton has one of the game's better quarterbacks in Andrew Luck and a loaded arsenal of pass catchers. "We’re going to do whatever we need to do to score one more point than our opponent," Hamilton said. Luck won't drop back 700 times, but he could flirt with 600 attempts and remains in the bottom half of the QB1 mix, with upside for more. The Colts have personnel to play spread offense if they can't kick start Trent Richardson.

Rotoworld
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/288302/colts-oc-less-run-1st--and--more-score-1st-o

Colts OC Pep Hamilton said he's taken a "score-first" mindset heading into his second season on the job.

Hamilton unsuccessfully preached and practiced a run-first, physical style of offense as a rookie NFL coordinator. He's come to realize he can't jam a square peg into a round hole. Hamilton has one of the game's better quarterbacks in Andrew Luck and a loaded arsenal of pass catchers. "We’re going to do whatever we need to do to score one more point than our opponent," Hamilton said. Luck won't drop back 700 times, but he could flirt with 600 attempts and remains in the bottom half of the QB1 mix, with upside for more. The Colts have personnel to play spread offense if they can't kick start Trent Richardson.

Rotoworld

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/288302/colts-oc-less-run-1st--and--more-score-1st-o
Let's hope so. I like the Colts but watching them the last couple of years has been :yawn:

Rotoworld
Interesting. I think I posted something about all the WRs, especially if Wayne comes back, in a TRich thread, but I can't recall. If the coaching staff is smart, they should feature Luck, not a terrible running game with TRich. Wayne (if healthy), Hilton, Nicks, Rogers, Fleener, Allen, Moncrief and Brazil is not a bad receiving corps.

Rotoworld
Interesting. I think I posted something about all the WRs, especially if Wayne comes back, in a TRich thread, but I can't recall. If the coaching staff is smart, they should feature Luck, not a terrible running game with TRich. Wayne (if healthy), Hilton, Nicks, Rogers, Fleener, Allen, Moncrief and Brazil is not a bad receiving corps.
...as they say here in Minnesota, you got that right.

Well, Pep sucks but Luck is the #1 QB in fantasy right now so he isn't killing my fantasy team.

This guy is terrible. Runs twice on his own 20 with less than three minutes left in a tie game, giving Luck one shot on 3rd down to convert instead of 2-3 shots. Then they punt, predictably giving up great field position and a FG for the loss.

Just so dumb.

It's kind of unfortunate for Colts fans that they made the playoffs last season primarily as a result of being in a terrible division. Otherwise, Grigson would rightfully be on the hot seat. He gives up a 1st-rounder for Richardson, and he seems to be the only person in the country who doesn't notice Pep's incompetency.

The 2 trent runs on the last drive weren't even the worst calls. The playcall to pass on 3rd and 9 well within FG range while up 7 was much more egregious (which led to the INT). Run the ball, go up by 10 and call it a night.

I have watched football for a long, long time and it still amazes me that some guys like Pep Hamilton can somehow seem to hang onto a job as long as they do when it is obvious to the entire world that they are putting square pegs in round holes.

In the NFL, you survive and thrive by matchups. To go a little John Madden, you use the best stuff you got to beat the best stuff the other guy's got. And here is a team with almost undoubtedly the best young QB in the game who has at his disposal some WRs that have great hands, run great routes, have great size, and have great speed (as a collection of WRs). Yet, they want to live and die by Trent Richardson.

Bradshaw was great last night and TRICH wasn't terrible. And there is a place for a great running game. But less than 200 yards passing by Luck in a game against Philly is borderline criminal activity. Yes, I am speaking with fantasy bias here but even as a pure fan, that game should have been a game where the teams were moving up and down the field regularly and in big chunks, creating a pressure on Foles to have to win that game. THe COlts let one get away and I don't know how excited I can be for Indy until they solve the Pep Hamilton problem.

Reminds me of the days when Paul Hackett was running the Jets offense. Absolutely maddening to see such lack of creativity. Use the run game to wear down the defense, but if it's not working by the 4th quarter make an adjustment.

Reminds me of the days when Paul Hackett was running the Jets offense. Absolutely maddening to see such lack of creativity. Use the run game to wear down the defense, but if it's not working by the 4th quarter make an adjustment.
Not working? Richardson and Bradshaw combined for 34 - 149, guy. I'd agree that the split should be more in favor of Bradshaw, obviously, but the Indy ground game was just fine last night. The offense as a whole put up 27 points and controlled most of the game. That loss is on the defense not being able to tackle Darren Sproles far more than on Hamilton for sticking with a ground game that had been gashing the Philly defense all night.

Not working? Richardson and Bradshaw combined for 34 - 149, guy. I'd agree that the split should be more in favor of Bradshaw, obviously, but the Indy ground game was just fine last night. The offense as a whole put up 27 points and controlled most of the game. That loss is on the defense not being able to tackle Darren Sproles far more than on Hamilton for sticking with a ground game that had been gashing the Philly defense all night.
Could not disagree more. The problem that Indy has run into with Pep as a coordinator is balance and creativity. Luck can run any play book in the NFL. Yet with the game on the line and one of the best players in the NFL you don't turn to Luck? That is ludicrous and you should be called out for that as a coordinator. I don't know if Luck has the ability to do so but he should have audibled into a pass.

Luck is as elite as they come but watch the formations and game plan from last night. It was awful and looked like a high school run team for much of the game. Luck admittedly was not as sharp as he has been last night, but part of that is on him and part of that is that very brutal game plan. Then with game on the line you pound it on 1st and 2nd down deep in your own territory with one of the least creative and skilled offensive players on your team. Recipe for losing, which they did.

Could not disagree more. The problem that Indy has run into with Pep as a coordinator is balance and creativity. Luck can run any play book in the NFL. Yet with the game on the line and one of the best players in the NFL you don't turn to Luck? That is ludicrous and you should be called out for that as a coordinator. I don't know if Luck has the ability to do so but he should have audibled into a pass. Luck is as elite as they come but watch the formations and game plan from last night. It was awful and looked like a high school run team for much of the game. Luck admittedly was not as sharp as he has been last night, but part of that is on him and part of that is that very brutal game plan. Then with game on the line you pound it on 1st and 2nd down deep in your own territory with one of the least creative and skilled offensive players on your team. Recipe for losing, which they did.
No, he's not. Luck is a great young QB, and it certainly looks like he's got a good shot to get there some day, but he's not in the elite tier with Manning / Rodgers / Brees yet.

If you want to say using Richardson over Bradshaw on that last drive was dumb, then have at it -- but let's not act like the run calls were awful in and of themselves. The Colts ran for 169 yards last night. That's a great way to win most of your games.

Could not disagree more. The problem that Indy has run into with Pep as a coordinator is balance and creativity. Luck can run any play book in the NFL. Yet with the game on the line and one of the best players in the NFL you don't turn to Luck? That is ludicrous and you should be called out for that as a coordinator. I don't know if Luck has the ability to do so but he should have audibled into a pass. Luck is as elite as they come but watch the formations and game plan from last night. It was awful and looked like a high school run team for much of the game. Luck admittedly was not as sharp as he has been last night, but part of that is on him and part of that is that very brutal game plan. Then with game on the line you pound it on 1st and 2nd down deep in your own territory with one of the least creative and skilled offensive players on your team. Recipe for losing, which they did.
No, he's not. Luck is a great young QB, and it certainly looks like he's got a good shot to get there some day, but he's not in the elite tier with Manning / Rodgers / Brees yet.

If you want to say using Richardson over Bradshaw on that last drive was dumb, then have at it -- but let's not act like the run calls were awful in and of themselves. The Colts ran for 169 yards last night. That's a great way to win most of your games.
I think Luck is as close to Manning, Rodgers and Brees as there is right now.

The run calls were not good even had Bradshaw been in the game. The Colts ran the ball quite effectively last night. The rb's racked up 149 yards on 34 carries which for them might be good but that still is only a 4.3 ypc.

Call me crazy but with the game on the line and after getting stuffed on 1st down, I automatically pass there on 2nd down with my best player. Seems pretty clear.

No, he's not. Luck is a great young QB, and it certainly looks like he's got a good shot to get there some day, but he's not in the elite tier with Manning / Rodgers / Brees yet.If you want to say using Richardson over Bradshaw on that last drive was dumb, then have at it -- but let's not act like the run calls were awful in and of themselves. The Colts ran for 169 yards last night. That's a great way to win most of your games.
I think Luck is as close to Manning, Rodgers and Brees as there is right now.The run calls were not good even had Bradshaw been in the game. The Colts ran the ball quite effectively last night. The rb's racked up 149 yards on 34 carries which for them might be good but that still is only a 4.3 ypc.

Call me crazy but with the game on the line and after getting stuffed on 1st down, I automatically pass there on 2nd down with my best player. Seems pretty clear.
So essentially you're blasting Hamilton over a single play call on 2nd down on Indy's last possession of the game? Personally, it takes a bit more than one iffy play for me to pin a loss entirely on the OC, but YMMV. I'd also guess that Luck has the ability to audible to a pass there if the Eagles come out with 7 or 8 in the box -- he didn't because the Eagles weren't in a base defense.

The run calls were not good even had Bradshaw been in the game. The Colts ran the ball quite effectively last night. The rb's racked up 149 yards on 34 carries which for them might be good but that still is only a 4.3 ypc.

I am not trying to be mean, but did you even watch the game? The 1st down carry by Trent got 6 yards, since when is that being stuffed? I think Pep was horrible last night as well, but averaging 4.3 a carry as a team is good. Like that would put them right around top 10 for the year and as bad as the Eagles defense is they are actually pretty good against the run.

I honestly believe with the game on the line you put the ball in your best players hand. Let Luck decide whether to audible out of a pass or run.

Last edited by a moderator:
My point wasn't really focused on just last night, but more so over the last year. The offense they run seems very bland. So much talent seems to go to waste on this team. Seems like they usually run on first down, never run a reverse, just old school football. I just think they have the talent to do more and it's frustrating to not see it. But who knows who is really making the calls. I know when Paul Hackett was calling the Jets plays 10 years ago, it was run run pass punt 90% of the time. So did the defenses. Frustrating

I am not trying to be mean, but did you even watch the game? The 1st down carry by Trent got 6 yards, since when is that being stuffed? I think Pep was horrible last night as well, but averaging 4.3 a carry as a team is good. Like that would put them right around top 10 for the year and as bad as the Eagles defense is they are actually pretty good against the run.

I honestly believe with the game on the line you put the ball in your best players hand. Let Luck decide whether to audible out of a pass or run.
Agree the first carry was fine. Got 6 yards, and with three minutes left needed to burn some clock. However, if you choose to run on second down and don't get the first down, you are in a real tough spot. And if you're really set on running on second down probably better to not have your RB on the field who already fumbled twice and is probably only focused on holding onto the ball. But like you said, maybe it was left up to Luck to call the play and he didn't see anything in the passing game.

Don't worry I am not easily offended.

I watched the game, and my recollection was wrong on that last series. He did gain 6 yards on that 1st down carry and then minus 1 yard on the 2nd.

The Colts play calling last night was elementary. They had 31 1st down plays and only passed on 9 of those. There was no rhythm to the passing game partially because of the way the game was called.

I think they went to conservative all second half. The problem with Indy and Pep last year was they would fall behind due to being conservative early which lead to Luck having to play miraculous in the 2nd half and pull it out. Last night the Colts just reversed what happened last year. They finally got a lead and instead of being aggressive and icing the game, they then went conservative and let Philly hang around. Pep has to go.

Pat\rt of it is the contrast to Philly's offense was stark. Philly's plays looked creative and looked like they could break any play for a TD. Indy's O looked like a college team.

The game plan was good, but the play calling on the last two drives was bad. The play that led to the INT should have been a run call. They are in FG range and could have potentially put the game away. The last series...calling two runs...terrible.

As a Colts fan who's watched games for so many years here are my thoughts:

I truly believe that Irsay has mandated the Colts be a balanced run-oriented team with a run-stopping defense. I think he's clearly stated he's tired of Star Wars offense without Super Bowls. I think this is incredibly short-sighted and a losing proposition until you have all of the pieces in place to do this. Maybe in 2 more years through the draft.

Luck is NOT Manning. He's a great QB, but Manning masked many faults of the team over the years. Again, Luck is very good at overcoming but not there (yet).

Pep Hamilton is not an NFL-caliber OC. He lacks imagination.

Pagano is a rah rah guy and a yes-man. He's using Irsay's playbook but with the wrong pieces.

Maybe, just maybe Hamilton will be gone if/when the Colts miss the playoffs this year. The Colts will NOT have a better set of WRs/TEs than they do right now. They are wasting the opportunity.

Side bar: I foresee Moncrief starting to eat into Nicks' targets. I was a big believer in Nicks in the preseason. However, now that they're full speed, he cannot get separation. Moncrief will not have that issue.

Side bar II: Bradshaw should be getting 75% of the touches. WTF was TRich in there on the final series after fumbling twice and knowing you're going to do 2 running plays? EFF that!

Pat\rt of it is the contrast to Philly's offense was stark. Philly's plays looked creative and looked like they could break any play for a TD. Indy's O looked like a college team.

The game plan was good, but the play calling on the last two drives was bad. The play that led to the INT should have been a run call. They are in FG range and could have potentially put the game away. The last series...calling two runs...terrible.
Agree,the game plan was working,my only thought was that a few times during the game The Colts could have used play action and taken some deep shots looking for a big play. The way the running game was dominating they could have hit something downfield a few times. imop.

pizzatyme said:

I truly believe that Irsay has mandated the Colts be a balanced run-oriented team with a run-stopping defense. I think he's clearly stated he's tired of Star Wars offense without Super Bowls. I think this is incredibly short-sighted and a losing proposition until you have all of the pieces in place to do this. Maybe in 2 more years through the draft.

Luck is NOT Manning. He's a great QB, but Manning masked many faults of the team over the years. Again, Luck is very good at overcoming but not there (yet).

Pagano is a rah rah guy and a yes-man. He's using Irsay's playbook but with the wrong pieces.

Maybe, just maybe Hamilton will be gone if/when the Colts miss the playoffs this year. The Colts will NOT have a better set of WRs/TEs than they do right now. They are wasting the opportunity.

Side bar: I foresee Moncrief starting to eat into Nicks' targets. I was a big believer in Nicks in the preseason. However, now that they're full speed, he cannot get separation. Moncrief will not have that issue.

Side bar II: Bradshaw should be getting 75% of the touches. WTF was TRich in there on the final series after fumbling twice and knowing you're going to do 2 running plays? EFF that!
I disagree with just one thing you said and it is Bradshaw. If they give Bradshaw that many touches he won't be around by week 8. Then it will be the TRich and random unproven guys show (Herron and whoever else they have)

pizzatyme said:

I disagree with just one thing you said and it is Bradshaw. If they give Bradshaw that many touches he won't be around by week 8. Then it will be the TRich and random unproven guys show (Herron and whoever else they have)
Ok, 50%. :)

pizzatyme said:

This! Crazy that TRich was the RB under those conditions that you pointed out on that last drive and the fact that Bradshaw gives them their best chance to produce

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone want to venture a guess at what the catalyst was that led to Pep calling more aggressive plays?

Anyone want to venture a guess at what the catalyst was that led to Pep calling more aggressive plays?
The likelihood that he would lose his job should he waste the obvious resources available to him. Andrew Luck is one, if not THE best young player in the league right now. You would have to be an idiot to have reigns on this teams and somehow actually believe that running the ball is the ticket to success.

This is a passing league where franchise QBs are the Alpha option and stats and rules support the notion of passing. Maybe he just realized.

Luck was very good last year but was still only in his second year. I think it's just letting him roll with things - he still does some odd things (throwing away the ball into the middle of the field last night), but he's pretty elite.

The likelihood that he would lose his job should he waste the obvious resources available to him. Andrew Luck is one, if not THE best young player in the league right now. You would have to be an idiot to have reigns on this teams and somehow actually believe that running the ball is the ticket to success.

This is a passing league where franchise QBs are the Alpha option and stats and rules support the notion of passing. Maybe he just realized.
I was going to say, this thread, but your answer works too

Users who are viewing this thread