What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Philadelphia Phillies Thread (1 Viewer)

Please See Mine

Footballguy
Wow. Every year they say it is supposed to be different. Even jettisoned Wade this time and still have the same stench of failure on them. Pitching is mediocre. Lose 10-3 to the freaking Nats? :X

Last edited by a moderator:
Bobby Abreu is by far the laziest RF in baseball, that guy can't play the field at all, he is down right horrible out there, time to get rid of him......and if you don't agree get a copy of last night's phillies game and just watch him play RF....SO LAZY!

And trading Jim Thome was the right thing to do. Maybe if he had lost that 50 pounds while he was here, his back wouldn't have been killing him and he could have had more bat speed . . . but the fact is that they needed a quality defensive CF and they needed to see what Howard would do.

Just getting rid of Wade only prevents his continued stank on the team. It's going to be some time before all the stank he created while here, finally goes away.

Bobby Abreu is by far the laziest RF in baseball, that guy can't play the field at all, he is down right horrible out there, time to get rid of him......and if you don't agree get a copy of last night's phillies game and just watch him play RF....SO LAZY!
2005 home run derby down? Pretty sure he's the best player ever. (At least he thinks so). Too bad Venezuala had less violence this year so he didn't have to stay inside all winter pumping iron. (Speaking of which, did Ugy Urbina get executed yet?)

And trading Jim Thome was the right thing to do. Maybe if he had lost that 50 pounds while he was here, his back wouldn't have been killing him and he could have had more bat speed . . . but the fact is that they needed a quality defensive CF and they needed to see what Howard would do.
Really? How is Rowand doing so far this year?

And trading Jim Thome was the right thing to do.  Maybe if he had lost that 50 pounds while he was here, his back wouldn't have been killing him and he could have had more bat speed . . . but the fact is that they needed a quality defensive CF and they needed to see what Howard would do.
This isn't the "Just won the world series for the first time in 687 years" thread.

This isn't the "Just won the world series for the first time in 687 years" thread.
Christ dude, relax, I was asking a serious question.

And trading Jim Thome was the right thing to do.  Maybe if he had lost that 50 pounds while he was here, his back wouldn't have been killing him and he could have had more bat speed . . . but the fact is that they needed a quality defensive CF and they needed to see what Howard would do.
so far pretty solid defensively and is hitting .340.. he's a positive addition

And he is hitting .340 and not #####ing about not playing with a gimpy leg or assaulting police officers, so I'm still ok with it.I realize the Ken Williams will look like a genius if Thome is a major cog in another deep playoff run. I accept it. We still needed to do what we needed to do.

It probably would have been nice if he could have DH'd for us. Kind of makes it easier for him.

This guy is my official spokesman from now on so that my venom doesn't cloud my statements.

Thanks for the answer, I really had no idea. If Rowand can hit above .280 he will be a great addition to the Phils. His glove more then speaks for itself. It was fun to watch him the past few years. :thumbup:

2005 home run derby down? Pretty sure he's the best player ever. (At least he thinks so). Too bad Venezuala had less violence this year so he didn't have to stay inside all winter pumping iron. (Speaking of which, did Ugy Urbina get executed yet?)
That homerun derby was a joke.... there's just something about him i can't stand about him....he gives up on plays to much... take last night's game, there was a ball hit in the gap and aaron rowand couldn't make the play, but the man dived to atleast try and make a play.....when Abreu takes a fly ball, either he is spinning around like a dancer trying to "adjust" to the ball, or flat out doesn't hussle for the play... Philadelphia fans want effort, if anyone watched last night Rowand got cheers for making a effort for a play....we want players who will hussle and give 100%.....players like Abreu get a bronx cheer for catching a fly ball.....which he deserves....

They supposedly tried to move Abreu for a SP in the offseason but just couldn't get a good enough offer. Would have been great to see.

Frontline SP >>>>>>>>>>>>> Bobby Abreu

:lmao: :lmao: WIP RULEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

We'll take him back in St. Pete.

Just because everything The Chief says is intended to rile people up, doesn't mean he's always wrong.

You had your chance 8 years ago. Eddie Wade made a fool outta ya.

Just because everything The Chief says is intended to rile people up, doesn't mean he's always wrong.
unlike the Cuz...

You had your chance 8 years ago. Eddie Wade made a fool outta ya.
I had nothing to do with the deal.

My wife is a Phillies fan. Tomorrow is her birthday. We have tickets to the game as part of her birthday gift. We'll be in left field about 7 rows up. I'm still trying to decide if I should wear my Braves hat and jersey. :D She just really wants the Rollins beanie hat.

My wife is a Phillies fan. Tomorrow is her birthday. We have tickets to the game as part of her birthday gift. We'll be in left field about 7 rows up. I'm still trying to decide if I should wear my Braves hat and jersey. :D She just really wants the Rollins beanie hat.
1993 . . .

My wife is a Phillies fan.  Tomorrow is her birthday.  We have tickets to the game as part of her birthday gift.  We'll be in left field about 7 rows up.  I'm still trying to decide if I should wear my Braves hat and jersey.  :D   She just really wants the Rollins beanie hat.
1993 . . .
What's that, last time Philly made the playoffs?

1993 . . .
What's that, last time Philly made the playoffs?
:yes: Hmm, let's see...1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005. :towelwave:

Last edited by a moderator:
And I don't know why Phillies fans bash Abreu so much. He's a great player. No, he's not fiery and he doesn't run his mouth, but that doesn't mean that he's not a great player. That guy would fit perfectly in a Braves uniform. He's professional and he goes out and performs at an elite level every single day.

I do agree that his fielding could be somewhat better though. Although I think that a lot of Philly people go too far here though too. I'm not sure that he really deserved it, but the man won a Gold Glove last season. I think he's just a lot like Andruw Jones. He has good speed and makes excellent reads on the ball as soon as it is hit. He ends up making plays look easy even though other players would be forced to dive or not even get there.

Phillies-Bravos Playoff Record versus each other:

Phillies 1

Bravos 0

TIA
And the Braves have defeated the Devil Rays in the World Series just as many times as the Devil Rays have defeated the Braves in the World Series. Sorry, but you gotta make it to the playoffs first. If the Phillies could have made it to the playoffs more than once in the past 15 years I'm sure that record would be much different.

I went back to 1983 (the last time the Phils won the WS) and the Braves have a .566 winning percentage against the Phils in the regular season.

He has good speed and makes excellent reads on the ball as soon as it is hit. He ends up making plays look easy even though other players would be forced to dive or not even get there.
X
He's professional and he goes out and performs at an elite level every single day.
XX

Phillies 1

Bravos 0

TIA
And the Braves have defeated the Devil Rays in the World Series just as many times as the Devil Rays have defeated the Braves in the World Series. Sorry, but you gotta make it to the playoffs first. If the Phillies could have made it to the playoffs more than once in the past 15 years I'm sure that record would be much different.

I went back to 1983 (the last time the Phils won the WS) and the Braves have a .566 winning percentage against the Phils in the regular season.
Quit living in the past.

And I don't know why Phillies fans bash Abreu so much. He's a great player. No, he's not fiery and he doesn't run his mouth, but that doesn't mean that he's not a great player. That guy would fit perfectly in a Braves uniform. He's professional and he goes out and performs at an elite level every single day.

I do agree that his fielding could be somewhat better though. Although I think that a lot of Philly people go too far here though too. I'm not sure that he really deserved it, but the man won a Gold Glove last season. I think he's just a lot like Andruw Jones. He has good speed and makes excellent reads on the ball as soon as it is hit. He ends up making plays look easy even though other players would be forced to dive or not even get there.
There is noone like Andruw Jones in the field. I agree with you about the rest of what you said about Abreu though. Phillies fans are so dumb they don't even recognize their best player since Mike Schmidt.

Look, Abreu is a very talented player. That is obvious. I really do not know how he won that gold glove last year. He has a strong arm but he does not always take good routes on balls. He is not an aggressive hitter in key situations in the game. He is happy just to take a walk.

I don't doubt that any team in the league would be happy to have him. The problem the Phillies' fans have is that he seems to be happy just being a talented player and he has not shown the superstar quality of taking over the team.

And maybe that is not his fault. Maybe it is asking something of him that he doesn't have. But it is very frustrating to watch.

Phillies 1

Bravos 0

TIA

Quit living in the past.
I can't tell if you are an alias, or just a really dumb Philly fan.

Phillies 1

Bravos 0

TIA

Quit living in the past.
Let me know when you break .500.

Phillies 1

Bravos 0

TIA

Quit living in the past.
Let me know when your city wins a title. 23 years and counting. :hophead:

Phillies 1

Bravos 0

TIA

Quit living in the past.
Let me know when your city wins a title. 23 years and counting. :hophead:
Glad to know you're keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. :thumbup: You're welcome that we chose Ray Rhodes instead of Gruden.

It's not their hitting and it's not their fielding. It's their pitching. Look at last night's game, for example. The game was a very close 4-3 until Rhodes gave up 2 runs and then I think it was Geary gave up that grand slam to blow it open to 10-3. They need pitching....especially in the bullpen. Until then, they won't do much.

It's not their hitting and it's not their fielding. It's their pitching. Look at last night's game, for example. The game was a very close 4-3 until Rhodes gave up 2 runs and then I think it was Geary gave up that grand slam to blow it open to 10-3. They need pitching....especially in the bullpen. Until then, they won't do much.
See, this guy gets it. Ryan Franklin is also a stud.Somewhat surprisingly, Gordon has been very good so far.

I'm confident that if the team is still in it, Gillick will make the in-season move that Wade never could (although I liked the Urbina trade). Imagine how bad it would be if Franklin made the rotation and Floyd went to AAA.

I went back to 1983(the last time the Phils won the WS) and the Braves have a .566 winning percentage against the Phils in the regular season.
:doh: I was confusing the years Villanova won the title and when the Phillies won. Going back to 1980 lowers the winning percentage for the Braves to .555.

I went back to 1983(the last time the Phils won the WS) and the Braves have a .566 winning percentage against the Phils in the regular season.
:doh: I was confusing the years Villanova won the title and when the Phillies won. Going back to 1980 lowers the winning percentage for the Braves to .555.
See, that's much better.Except that Villanova won in 1985.

still wrong, but at least you matched the sport and the year that time.

For those keeping track.

Eagles won in 1947, 1948 and 1960

Sixers won in 1983 and 1967

Phillies won in 1980

Flyers won in 1974 and 1975

Villanova won in 1985

There is noone like Andruw Jones in the field. I agree with you about the rest of what you said about Abreu though. Phillies fans are so dumb they don't even recognize their best player since Mike Schmidt.
Oh, I agree that Abreu isn't nearly as good as Andruw in the field. I was merely comparing their style. People have given Andruw a hard time for years too because they think that he's loafing it in the outfield (I used to be one of them). But he just doesn't need to run around like crazy most of the time because he has such a long stride and he breaks on balls so quickly. I also think that Jones would be treated the same as Abreu if he played in Philly. They would say that he hits too many HRs with nobody on base, he strikes out too much and he's lazy in the outfield. Maybe not, but that's my perception.

I think that the same mentality is why there are still so many people in Philly that love Iverson. Sure he may hate the fans and make his teammates worse, but the guy plays his heart out so they respect him.

Users who are viewing this thread