What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official *** Rogue One - A Star Wars Story (1 Viewer)

I have to be honest. The level of not ####ing around Disney is doing with this franchise is incredible. I'm blown away. 
Nitpick but...

It's Lucasfilm and ILM that are kicking ### on this stuff. Disney owns Lucasfilm now, but it's the Lucasfilm story and production  teams that are running the show on all these Star Wars movies, not Disney. 

Nitpick but...

It's Lucasfilm and ILM that are kicking ### on this stuff. Disney owns Lucasfilm now, but it's the Lucasfilm story and production  teams that are running the show on all these Star Wars movies, not Disney. 
one and the same. Kathleen Kennedy was put in charge of Lucasfilms by Disney. 

Nitpick but...

True, but I'm sure they had to get approval on the direction they're taking it, I would assume Disney could have told them to keep it "kiddy" and more geared toward the 6-14 age range. 

True, but I'm sure they had to get approval on the direction they're taking it, I would assume Disney could have told them to keep it "kiddy" and more geared toward the 6-14 age range. 
Disney seems to be pretty smart these days. They have their kid focused content (zootopia, frozen, etc) and they know how to handle their Marvel and Star Wars products so far. They aim towards the big kids who actually want to use their wallet instead of being forced to for kiddy stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
one and the same. Kathleen Kennedy was put in charge of Lucasfilms by Disney. 
Near miss. 

George Lucas hired Kathy Kennedy himself for her to be President and him to stay on as CEO. That was June 2012. 

Later that year, October 2012, was when Lucas sold to Disney. 

Near miss. 

George Lucas hired Kathy Kennedy himself for her to be President and him to stay on as CEO. That was June 2012. 

She's been a producer on like every hit movie of the last 30 years I think. 

joey said:
Near miss. 

Right off her wiki page -- "October 30, 2012, she became the president of Lucasfilm, and the brand manager of the Star Warsfranchise, after The Walt Disney Company acquired the company for over $4 billion.[3] It was then announced that the first project under her authority would be Episode VII of the Star Wars saga, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which was released on December 18, 2015."

Lucas hired her previously but Disney put her in charge of everything when they bought it. 

Lucasfilms makes the movies. Disney owns Lucasfilms. Ergo, the Disney corporation is doing a good job making these movies. Don't know why this is so difficult for you. 

joey said:
Nitpick but...

This is kind of a silly argument. When Disney took over lucasfilm, It went in a completely different direction. In fact IIRC Lucas was kind of butt hurt about them rejecting his ideas.   

Right off her wiki page -- "October 30, 2012, she became the president of Lucasfilm, and the brand manager of the Star Warsfranchise, after The Walt Disney Company acquired the company for over $4 billion.[3] It was then announced that the first project under her authority would be Episode VII of the Star Wars saga, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which was released on December 18, 2015."

Lucas hired her previously but Disney put her in charge of everything when they bought it. 

Lucasfilms makes the movies. Disney owns Lucasfilms. Ergo, the Disney corporation is doing a good job making these movies. Don't know why this is so difficult for you. 

I'm just trying to define the difference between "Lucasfilm doing a great job conceiving of, writing, producing, creating....EVERYTHING... with these movies and the Star Wars universe", and what Disney has to do with the process. But what do I know. I just work there. 

I'm just trying to define the difference between "Lucasfilm doing a great job conceiving of, writing, producing, creating....EVERYTHING... with these movies and the Star Wars universe", and what Disney has to do with the process. But what do I know. I just work there. 
Sounds like you should know a lot more then. 

You are sounding like an amazing expert on this stuff and how these movies are made, so I'll just leave you to it. 
Great conversation man, glad we got to derail the thread with your inside scoop of who owns Lucasfilms. 

No sure what's so hard to understand.

Lucasfilm is making great Star Wars movies. Disney has no day-to-day control over Lucasfilm, or Pixar or Marvel for that matter. Each makes their own great movies. Disney's genius was buying these excellent companies to create movies that make them tons of cash. 

Lucasfilm is making great Star Wars movies. Disney has no day-to-day control over Lucasfilm, or Pixar or Marvel for that matter. Each makes their own great movies. Disney's genius was buying these excellent companies to create movies that make them tons of cash. 
The difference between force awakens and episodes 1 -3 was ginormous 

The difference is not Lucasfilms vs Disney. It's Lucas. He's gone. Love that he brought us the original idea but it's been known for awhile that he had a lot of trouble translating his ideas to film without a strong group around him.

Their genius is also putting and keeping good people in place to run these things, and also allowing for the budget to be expanded to reach out into other enterprises than just the movies. 

I understand Mickey Mouse himself isn't directing these movies but you are severely underestimating their impact. 

Anyone know what Lucas envisioned for the sequals?
[SIZE=10.5pt]The film tells the story of Captain Skywalker and the ragtag crew of his spaceship on a mission to deliver a gift to "The Supreme Leader" who lives on a world of rotting, twisted metal and steaming vents. Captain Skywalker's alien crew consists of his small flying sidekick Fuzzball, the double-headed navigator and pilot Idey and Ody, robotic security officer Major Domo , a small robot, and the clumsy elephant-like shipmate Hooter who always manages to upset the crew's missions. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Upon arriving on the planet, the crew is captured by the henchmen of the Supreme Leader, and brought before her. She sentences the crew to be turned into trash cans, and Captain Skywalker to 100 years of torture in her deepest dungeon. Before being sent away, Captain Skywalker tells the Supreme Leader that he sees the beauty hidden within her, and that he brings her the key to unlock it: his song, "We Are Here to Change the World".[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The two robot members of the crew transform into musical instruments, and the crew members begin to play the various instruments. As Hooter runs toward his instrument, he trips over Skywalker's cape and breaks it, stopping the music. The spell broken, the Supreme Leader orders her guards to capture Captain Skywalker and his crew.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Hooter manages to repair his instrument and sends out a blast of music, providing Skywalker with the power to throw off the guards. He uses his power to transform the dark hulking guards into agile dancers who fall into step behind him for a dance number. As Skywalker presses forward toward the Supreme Leader, she unleashes her Whip Warriors, two cybernetic defenders each with a whip and shield that can deflect Skywalker's power.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The others all run away, leaving Captain Skywalker to fight the Whip Warriors alone. Skywalker is trapped by a closing gate and is preparing for a last stand as both the whip warriors draw their whips back for a final blow. Fuzzball drops his instrument and speedily flies over to tie the two whips together, causing the Whip Warriors to be thrown off balance and giving Skywalker an opportunity to transform them as well. With no further obstacles, Skywalker uses his power to transform the remaining four henchmen (not yet unleashed) and they, the transformed whip warriors and the other dancers, press forward in dance before Skywalker transforms the Supreme Leader into a beautiful woman, her lair into a peaceful Greek temple, and the planet into a verdant paradise.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]A celebration breaks out to "Another Part of Me", as Captain Skywalker and his crew triumphantly exit and fly off into space.[/SIZE]

Their genius is also putting and keeping good people in place to run these things, and also allowing for the budget to be expanded to reach out into other enterprises than just the movies. 

I understand Mickey Mouse himself isn't directing these movies but you are severely underestimating their impact. 
This is really leadership 101. Hire  good people or buy good businesses and give them enough guidance and leeway to execute their greatness.  

Every part of Disney is excelling right now, it's almost enough to make me want to visit the parks.

:lol: at the captain and tinbots routine. @parasaurolophus

Watching an interview with Kennedy and Edwards at the SW conference it sounds like there won't be opening crawls attached to the individual movies. 

Watching an interview with Kennedy and Edwards at the SW conference it sounds like there won't be opening crawls attached to the individual movies. 
I'm ok with this. Only the episodes need the crawl and after TFAs completely useless one as far as filling in back story, who cares.

There was also another teaser trailer shown at the conference that has yet to be released to the general public, and no one is sure it ever will be unless it's shown as a theater teaser. Read about it here, but there's a character spoiler warning....

There was also another teaser trailer shown at the conference that has yet to be released to the general public, and no one is sure it ever will be unless it's shown as a theater teaser. Read about it here, but there's a character spoiler warning....

ool

Anyone that's paying attention knows Vader is in the movie by now
This is the place where people freaked out saying next week's scenes in Lost were spoilers and shouldn't be discussed. But you are completely reasonable in that statement. 

This is the place where people freaked out saying next week's scenes in Lost were spoilers and shouldn't be discussed. But you are completely reasonable in that statement. 
Not really.  I didn't know.  Not a big deal, really, but I don't think it is reasonable to expect that everyone knew that already.

Not really.  I didn't know.  Not a big deal, really but I don't think it is reasonable to expect that everyone knew that already.
Not sure why not.. End of episode 3 Darth Vader is "born"... Beginning of episode 4 Darth Vader is feared throughout the Galaxy..

NOT having him be part of a movie that spans the space between those two episodes would have been more of a shock then having him in it..

:shrug:

From what I read, Vader will be on their posters and last big trailer. You would have to work really hard to avoid that going in. This isn't a Luke /father or Han Solo thing. 

Users who are viewing this thread