What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official SF 49ers 2015 thread *** Chip Kelly new HC (1 Viewer)

killface said:
drummer said:
killface said:
thecatch said:
Can't blame it on injuries. Most of those were to the defense and they still finished as a top 5 unit. It's all on the offense, whether you blame that on Kaep, Roman, or Harbaugh.
This

Lots of teams had plenty of injuries and still played great ball.
Again, your offense isn't going to do anything when you have Jed York forcing Trent Baalke down your throat.

The stats post 2011 - which still spiked the offense less passing due to having Alex Smith, who has never proved himself even today as a franchise QB - has shown that even during a radical switch within offense got them to the Super Bowl. I have posted much data to show this, time and time again. Let's say Baalke sold out the entire draft 2012 on WRs, like he did on DB's in 2014. He still may have hit only one. I have said this before and I will say this even more: you draft BPA. If you have a plethora of picks, how can you blow an entire draft?

In four seasons, the 49ers under Harbaugh and Roman compiled over 21,000 yards in offense.

The previous seasons from 2005 before Harbaugh? 26,884.

Hell, I can add to this this math by 5000 yards prior to Harbaugh and Roman, and it would still mean that Roman has proved more offense - much due to the consistency at OC, which if thecatch had the balls to read my posts - than the carousel of changing OC's hurting yardage more than having Mike McCarthy, Norv Turner, Jim Hostler, Mike Martz/Ted Tollner, Jimmy Raye/Whatever in consecutive seasons.

Of course I can post all kinds of data to show how under the York era offense has declined, but why waste that on 49er fans?
Not saying you are incorrect by any means but in 2014 the average yards per season for a team was 5600 yards. In 2005 it was closer to 5000 yards. My experience watching the 49ers is that the one year that Kaep was new and nobody really tried to stop him the offense was electric. Otherwise it has been pretty terrible with occasional good game beating up on a bad team. In 2014 the 49ers has 5200 yards...same as the Jets more or less (the pack was 6100 yards). In 2013 the output was actually lower at 5100 yards (Broncos 7100 yards). In 2012 we had the spike as I discussed at 5800 yards. Then in 2011 way back at 4900 yards

We have been in the bottom 2/3 of the league 3 of the last 4 years
Now this discussion has legs. Literally, since the 49ers have not had a credible passing offense since the days of Steve Mariucci, Jeff Garcia, and Terrell Owens. The 49er offense, post the aforementioned trio, has been all about one person: Frank Gore.

Put me in the camp of wanting Frank Gore having a bust in Canton. He can be mentioned in the same breath as YA Tittle, Joe Perry, Joe Montana, and Jerry Rice easily.

Harbaugh inherited Gore, an efficiently mediocre QB in Alex Smith - which Harbaugh elevated to efficiently mediocre from NFL Bust - with only one real receiving threat in Vernon Davis. Yet every other OC who had Gore depended on Gore like Harbaugh had. Because they too had only one credible receiving threat in Davis, and an NFL Bust in Smith.

This season, Colin Kaepernick - a project/system/running QB out of Chris Ault's offense in Nevada - still had Gore, an old Vernon Davis, an aged Anquan Boldin, and a host of equal or far lesser Michael Crabtree's. Look up the TE position outside of Davis. I posted earlier how Fullback Bruce Miller has more yards than the rest of the TE's outside of Davis.

You can change as many OC's as you like. The 49ers did that almost every season until Harbaugh. He won with the offense he inherited, which others could not. Your offense ain't gonna be better with a football organization that has no clue of it. Case in point? Sticking with an NFL Bust at QB for almost all of it.

ETA: I should say NFL Bust as your Franchise QB, to show how absurd that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wingnut said:
thecatch said:
Can't blame it on injuries. Most of those were to the defense and they still finished as a top 5 unit. It's all on the offense, whether you blame that on Kaep, Roman, or Harbaugh.
Top 5 unit - maybe in yards allowed, which to me isn't a true measure of a defense. Late in the year They gave up 24 to Oakland, 38 to San Diego, barely beat Arizona (who had a 3rd string QB and nothing to play for)..and of course lost to Seattle twice...I doubt they lose all those games with Bowman and Willis healthy.As for the offense, I think the distractions played a huge part...take away the friction between the FO and coach and I think they focus on playing football and have a better season.

Just my $.02.
I agree with all of this... Add in a suspension to Aldon Smith who then played poorly and an aging Justin Smith (who is still good, but obviously starting to decline) and you've got problems. The defense was not the same unit this year.

Wingnut said:
thecatch said:
Top 5 unit - maybe in yards allowed, which to me isn't a true measure of a defense. Late in the year They gave up 24 to Oakland, 38 to San Diego, barely beat Arizona (who had a 3rd string QB and nothing to play for)..and of course lost to Seattle twice...I doubt they lose all those games with Bowman and Willis healthy.As for the offense, I think the distractions played a huge part...take away the friction between the FO and coach and I think they focus on playing football and have a better season.

Just my $.02.
I agree with all of this... Add in a suspension to Aldon Smith who then played poorly and an aging Justin Smith (who is still good, but obviously starting to decline) and you've got problems. The defense was not the same unit this year.
I agree with you guys too - a top 2 defense probably gets them to the playoffs again, but I just think that's too much to ask from the defense year in and year out. The offense has to chip in at some point.

Just my $.02.
I agree with you guys too - a top 2 defense probably gets them to the playoffs again, but I just think that's too much to ask from the defense year in and year out. The offense has to chip in at some point.
Not only that this is discussion about just how brilliant Harbough is. A great coach overcomes distractions and injuries and schemes and game plans and gets lesser player to play better...we didn't get any of that this year. Maybe he did know he was gone and gave up but that's also the sign of a bad personality...

It's interesting with a guy like Kaep and this offence. When you look at Buffalo and Orton gets signed off the street comes in and throws for 350 yards most weeks...it seems like that hasn't happened in SF in a very long time

Just my $.02.
Not only that this is discussion about just how brilliant Harbough is. A great coach overcomes distractions and injuries and schemes and game plans and gets lesser player to play better...we didn't get any of that this year. Maybe he did know he was gone and gave up but that's also the sign of a bad personality...

It's interesting with a guy like Kaep and this offence. When you look at Buffalo and Orton gets signed off the street comes in and throws for 350 yards most weeks...it seems like that hasn't happened in SF in a very long time
Give me a break. Tell me the last time a coach coming off 3 straight conference championship games had to deal with front office friction that was public and constantly mentioned on social media, TV, radio, etc, all the while knowing he would most likely be gone at the end of the year...you have no idea how hard or easy it would be, or how you would handle it because Harbaugh is the only coach its ever happened to. Blanket statements are usually pretty ridiculous, and yours is no different.

Didn't know Scot McBoozin' left SEA:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/05/former-g-m-scot-mccloughan-talking-to-teams-about-comeback/

Once viewed as one of the NFL’s rising young talent evaluators, Scot McCloughan could be nearing a comeback.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the former 49ers General Manager has talked to both Washington and Oakland about a job in personnel.

Whether he returns to the league will be interesting, though he’s doubtless qualified to scout talent.

He assembled much of the talent base the 49ers used to go to three straight NFC Championship Games, and then was part of the Seahawks front office when the defending champions are built.

He left both jobs citing the need to address “personal matters,” though the nature of those matters has been well-known in the league for years. ESPN’s Seth Wickersham wrote an excellent piece recently on McCloughan’s battles with alcohol abuse, and detailed his ambitions to get back into the league.

It wasn’t McCloughan’s skill as an evaluator that caused him to be out of the NFL, and he may be closer to getting back in.
The ESPN article is a good read as well:

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12014699/scot-mccloughan-nfl-best-talent-scout-self-employed-living-farm

He has two Super Bowl rings locked in a safe. Each of the three teams for which he has worked in his 20 years in the NFL -- the Packers, two stints with the Seahawks, and the 49ers -- has reached the Super Bowl during his tenure or shortly afterward. McCloughan had a part in drafting six players who were on the Pro Bowl roster last season, including Patrick Willis and Vernon Davis. His report on Russell Wilson for the Seahawks a few years ago read: "Obviously we are really interested in passers with better height, but this guy may just be the exception to the rule. He has the 'it' factor."
I hope he makes it back into the NFL, and can get a little more control of his life. It's pretty obvious his handprints are all over the 2010 draft. He always drafted Oline and LBs.

So does McCloughan. He has an "exceptional ... uncanny" gift, in the words of his mentor and former boss Ron Wolf. It's why he named his business Instinctive Scouting. This morning, he is consumed with an FBS middle linebacker projected by many to be a sixth- or seventh-rounder. But on a play in which the linebacker sprints to the sideline to make a tackle on a bubble screen, McCloughan sees something others might miss. The linebacker smelled a screen before anyone else and was just fast enough to get to the receiver. "You can't teach that," McCloughan says. He leans forward, quietly rewinding split seconds of the clip again and again.
Yet Baalke get's credit for Navarro Bowman.

Just my $.02.

Give me a break. Tell me the last time a coach coming off 3 straight conference championship games had to deal with front office friction that was public and constantly mentioned on social media, TV, radio, etc, all the while knowing he would most likely be gone at the end of the year...you have no idea how hard or easy it would be, or how you would handle it because Harbaugh is the only coach its ever happened to.Blanket statements are usually pretty ridiculous, and yours is no different.
Yeah, making a successful head coach a lame duck is just an asinine move from a CEO who doesn't know football.

More good news from the "how to run a Football Organization like Uber" file:

http://www.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2015/01/05/49ers-ceo-caught-in-age-discrimination-lawsuit

Two former managers of the 49ers slammed CEO Jed York and the team with an age discrimination lawsuit on Friday, years after York fired the veteran employees in an alleged effort to brand his team as the technology startup of the NFL.

Anthony Lozano and Keith Yanagi, both who were in their late 50's when they were fired, submitted a federal complaint against York for letting go "a lot" of senior managers in 2011 and 2012 to make room for younger employees from Silicon Valley, the complaint alleges.

When asked why the team wanted to hire young tech workers, the complaint says York replied, "'Because they made a lot of money, they did a lot of cool things before they turned 40 years old, and they didn't want to play golf six days a week.'"

Lozano and Yanagi had worked with the team for more than 20 years each, with Lozano being awarded employee of the month in 2010 (a year before he was dismissed) and both managers fitted with with stellar performance reviews throughout their 20-plus years of service, according to the complaint.

The 49ers told Lozano he was fired from his position as Facilities Manager because the team was "going in a different direction," and former Director of Video Operations Yanagi was told he was let go for undisclosed "performance" reasons, according to the complaint.

The two allege that the 49ers violated several federal regulations regarding firing workers over the age of 40 when they were let go, including the termination of a group of older employees without proper notification and the gathering of statistical data. That data, they say, would demonstrate "a pattern and practice of age discrimination" by the 49ers.

"Per company policy, we never comment on pending litigation," said 49ers Director of Communications Bob Lange. "I am sorry that I don’t have anything further."

Lozano and Yanagi seek punitive damages for age discrimination, wrongful firing, fraud and concealment and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Attorney David Poore, who represents the plaintiffs, was not immediately available for comment.

On a sidenote, 49ers former Coach Jim Harbaugh split up with the San Francisco team last month in what the two describe as a mutual decision to part ways. Harbaugh is 51 years old.
I'd almost think this was an article out of The Onion.

From the Jeddifogger "IT'S ALL HARBAUGH'S FAULT!" file, Kawakami....

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2015/01/05/trent-baalke-aldon-smith/

But Baalke is the one who drafted Smith, has supported him through all of Smith’s misadventuresand exercised Smith’s option for 2015.

That was all Baalke, who has full control of the 49ers roster, not Harbaugh. Baalke has acquired many sketchy characters, some who have panned out well some who have not. Baalke. Not Harbaugh.

So if York wants to change the facts now and say it was actually Harbaugh, not Baalke, who created the loose atmosphere, I guess it’s York right as a powerful person who tries to create his own truths.

By the way, it was York who let Ray McDonald remain on the team and signed off on McDonald playing every game after his arrest early this season. (I think there might have been even more tension between Harbaugh and Baalke/York on the McDonald case, given what we know about Harbaugh’s views on domestic violence.
But I can’t say that I know that there were arguments on McDonald’s status because I don’t know. I just sensed A LOT of tension on this one, more than I did with the Aldon Smith decisions.)

York, not Harbaugh. Hey, all three guys signed off on Smith AND McDonald so all three have to be part of this. But it’s Harbaugh who isn’t there any more and of course it’s Harbaugh who is the focus of the whisper campaign, still.

From the "keep saying the name Bill Walsh to convince yourself he'd actually work for you if he were alive" file:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/05/mike-holmgren-says-49ers-werent-interested/

Four years ago, 49ers G.M. Trent Baalke supposedly wanted to hire then-69-year-old Bill Parcells to be the next head coach of the team. Now with the job open again, Baalke apparently isn’t interested in 66-year-old Mike Holmgren.

That’s what Holmgren told Mitch Levy of KJR radio in Seattle on Monday, via Cam Inman of the Bay Area News Group.

And so now Holmgren has no interest in returning to coaching.

That’s it,” he said.

Holmgren, who previously coached the Packers and Seahawks, once served as offensive coordinator in San Francisco. He previously had declined to rule out a coaching comeback, after a more recent stint as the president and surrogate owner of the Browns.
They would had fired Parcells too.

More good news from the "how to run a Football Organization like Uber" file:

http://www.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2015/01/05/49ers-ceo-caught-in-age-discrimination-lawsuit

Two former managers of the 49ers slammed CEO Jed York and the team with an age discrimination lawsuit on Friday, years after York fired the veteran employees in an alleged effort to brand his team as the technology startup of the NFL.Anthony Lozano and Keith Yanagi, both who were in their late 50's when they were fired, submitted a federal complaint against York for letting go "a lot" of senior managers in 2011 and 2012 to make room for younger employees from Silicon Valley, the complaint alleges.

When asked why the team wanted to hire young tech workers, the complaint says York replied, "'Because they made a lot of money, they did a lot of cool things before they turned 40 years old, and they didn't want to play golf six days a week.'"

Lozano and Yanagi had worked with the team for more than 20 years each, with Lozano being awarded employee of the month in 2010 (a year before he was dismissed) and both managers fitted with with stellar performance reviews throughout their 20-plus years of service, according to the complaint.

The 49ers told Lozano he was fired from his position as Facilities Manager because the team was "going in a different direction," and former Director of Video Operations Yanagi was told he was let go for undisclosed "performance" reasons, according to the complaint.

The two allege that the 49ers violated several federal regulations regarding firing workers over the age of 40 when they were let go, including the termination of a group of older employees without proper notification and the gathering of statistical data. That data, they say, would demonstrate "a pattern and practice of age discrimination" by the 49ers.

"Per company policy, we never comment on pending litigation," said 49ers Director of Communications Bob Lange. "I am sorry that I don’t have anything further."

Lozano and Yanagi seek punitive damages for age discrimination, wrongful firing, fraud and concealment and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Attorney David Poore, who represents the plaintiffs, was not immediately available for comment.

On a sidenote, 49ers former Coach Jim Harbaugh split up with the San Francisco team last month in what the two describe as a mutual decision to part ways. Harbaugh is 51 years old.
I'd almost think this was an article out of The Onion.
I guess it isn't an Onion article:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/06/report-49ers-jed-york-named-in-age-discrimination-lawsuit/

[SIZE=1em]It hasn’t exactly been a banner year for the San Francisco 49ers.[/SIZE]

The list of issues for the 49ers since losing the NFC Championship game last January has been extensive. Aldon Smith and Ray McDonald’s off-field issues, a power struggle with now departed head coach Jim Harbaugh, and apparently reneging on an agreement to replace local soccer fields adjacent to their new stadium in Santa Clara are just some examples of the dysfunction over the last 12 months.

It appears you can add yet another item to the list.

According to Kale Williams of the San Francisco Chronicle, the 49ers and owner Jed York have been named in an age discrimination lawsuit by two former employees.

Anthony Lozano, 56, and Keith Yanagi, 59, claim that they, as well as other older employees, were terminated from their jobs due to York’s alleged desire to bring in a younger work that matched the workforce at tech companies in the Silicon Valley area.

Lozano, a facilities manager, and Yanagi, director of video operations, said they were told the team was “going in a different direction” with no further explanation of their dismissal despite strong evaluations over the their time with the franchise.

The pair are suing for damages stemming from wrongful termination, fraud and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

The 49ers declined comment to the Chronicle. Nevertheless, it’s yet another bad look for an organization that can’t seem to keep out of their own way. York said in a radio interview with KNBR that it wasn’t just important to win, but to win with class. If these accusations are accurate, York probably shouldn’t look in the mirror if he’s trying to find class.
Stay classy, Santa Clara!

Oh, on the soccer field article:

http://www0.pressdemocrat.com/article/20140326/sports/140329629

The soccer league was a big booster for the Niners’ new stadium. The Niners courted the soccer league. The Niners were nice to the soccer league. At the time, it seemed the Niners were being a good neighbor. The Niners pledged to create alternate soccer fields because traffic on 49ers’ game days would make it awkward for soccer kids to play their games.

The Niners have reneged on their commitment for alternate fields. I’ll get back to that in a moment. I’ll say this for now. It sure seems the 49ers needed votes of soccer parents for their stadium initiative to go through, but they didn’t really care about being good neighbors once they got their stadium.

As part of the good-neighbor policy, Jed York himself wrote a letter in 2012 to Matt Heintz, president of the 1,500-member league, saying the 49ers understood there would be thousands of fans driving and parking and milling near the soccer fields on Sundays when the soccer league plays lots of games. The Niners would be happy to fund replacement fields.

Here is Jed in 2012: “To demonstrate our commitment to our community’s young soccer players and their families we are proposing that the 49ers underwrite several regulation-sized additional soccer fields in Santa Clara. These fields would be dedicated and maintained for the use of the Santa Clara Youth Soccer League during NFL game days.”
Keep the faith, 49er Faithful!

Snaps missed by 49ers starting offensive linesman (through Dec 11th)

2012: 97

2013: 410

2014: 1,196

The oline play in pass protection was atrocious this year. Kaep had pressure before the snap got to him at times.

From the "PLEASE GOD GET RID OF GREG ROMAN!" file:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/06/report-bills-request-interview-with-greg-roman/

The Buffalo Bills continue to add to their list of candidates to replace Doug Marrone.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN.com, the Bills have requested permission to speak with San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman about their head coaching position.

Despite the departure of head coach Jim Harbaugh, Roman is still currently under contract with the 49ers and the Bills have to request permission to speak with him about the job. Roman has also interviewed with Tampa Bay regarding their offensive coordinator position.

Roman joins Seattle coordinators Darrell Bevell and Dan Quinn, Cincinnati offensive coordinator Hue Jackson, Detroit defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, Denver offensive coordinator Adam Gase, San Diego offensive coordinator Frank Reich, New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, Philadelphia offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur and former Washington head coach Mike Shanahan as candidates Buffalo has sought, or already completed, interviews with.
Did you read the part where he is still under contract?

The oline play in pass protection was atrocious this year. Kaep had pressure before the snap got to him at times.
Finally, :goodposting:

From the "how many Rats can you have in the same building?" file:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/06/report-three-teams-want-both-the-shanahans/

Two teams so far have asked the Browns permission to interview offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan for their head coaching job.

But those teams might be trying to lure him as part of a package deal with his father.

According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Bills, 49ers and Raiders are interested in Shanahan the Younger as an assistant with his father Mike as head coach. The Bills and 49ers have asked to interview Kyle for their head coaching job, so far.

Though the appeal of working with family is a wholesome American story, the Browns wouldn’t be obligated to let Kyle out of his contract to go as an assistant.

That’s likely why the Bills and 49ers are using head coaching interviews for Kyle as cover for their actual intentions.

Father and son worked together four years in Washington, and you understand why they’d like to do so again.

Just my $.02.

Give me a break. Tell me the last time a coach coming off 3 straight conference championship games had to deal with front office friction that was public and constantly mentioned on social media, TV, radio, etc, all the while knowing he would most likely be gone at the end of the year...you have no idea how hard or easy it would be, or how you would handle it because Harbaugh is the only coach its ever happened to.Blanket statements are usually pretty ridiculous, and yours is no different.
Your right I don't know how hard it would be...nobody does. All I know is this team absolutely collapsed this year - 8-8 but we could have been 4-12 with some of those games. Blame it on who you want or what you want but I don't see this loss as a huge one...again I am not going to try and change your mind. My only point in this whole conversation is to contrast the many people (not so much in this thread) acclaiming him as some sort of brilliant coach when he really hasn't proven much. Maybe he is the second coming and Michigan will win the National Championship 5 times in the next 10 years. My gut says no but I am often wrong.

I thought he was a very abrasive personality and I didn't like the 49ers under him so I am not sad to see him go.

Just my $.02.

Your right I don't know how hard it would be...nobody does. All I know is this team absolutely collapsed this year - 8-8 but we could have been 4-12 with some of those games. Blame it on who you want or what you want but I don't see this loss as a huge one...again I am not going to try and change your mind. My only point in this whole conversation is to contrast the many people (not so much in this thread) acclaiming him as some sort of brilliant coach when he really hasn't proven much. Maybe he is the second coming and Michigan will win the National Championship 5 times in the next 10 years. My gut says no but I am often wrong.

I thought he was a very abrasive personality and I didn't like the 49ers under him so I am not sad to see him go.
If you're going to play contrarian, use something other than your gut. Facts would help you with this.

Just my $.02.

If you're going to play contrarian, use something other than your gut. Facts would help you with this.
I provided some facts in terms of the 49ers being in the bottom 1/3 of the league in total yardage 3 of the last 4 years. Nobody wanted to discuss that.

Just my $.02.

I provided some facts in terms of the 49ers being in the bottom 1/3 of the league in total yardage 3 of the last 4 years. Nobody wanted to discuss that.
That's been a running theme here for years. Where have you been?

Just my $.02.

That's been a running theme here for years. Where have you been?
I know it has...I think you are missing the point. Harbough managed to take us from the bottom quarter of the league in offense to the bottom third. I don't think that makes him the second coming as a coach. He won...but barely and rode a good defense that was in place primarily before he got there. It would have been interesting to see how strong Stanford would have been post Luck if he had stayed

BTW, you want yardage? Go root for DET. I'd say they'd want the post season success Harbaugh has brought with less of it.

I know it has...I think you are missing the point. Harbough managed to take us from the bottom quarter of the league in offense to the bottom third. I don't think that makes him the second coming as a coach. He won...but barely and rode a good defense that was in place primarily before he got there. It would have been interesting to see how strong Stanford would have been post Luck if he had stayed
I've posted so much about the 49er offense since I have been here since 2006, that I can tell you don't have a point already.

I'm hoping the Bucs land Roman. I'd love to see another year of the Bucs at the bottom of the NFC South.

From the "if it ain't broke, let's completely destroy it for something worse" file:

Browns offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan may be on the way out in Cleveland over issues with some of his fellow coaches and the team’s front office.

Shanahan is hoping to get a head-coaching job, and he has been mentioned as a candidate for the vacancies in Buffalo and San Francisco. But Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com reports that Shanahan may leave Cleveland even if he doesn’t get a head-coaching gig, because the situation in Cleveland has become dysfunctional.

According to the report, the personnel side and the coaching side aren’t seeing eye to eye, and the coaches may have felt pressured to bench Brian Hoyer and start Johnny Manziel, a decision that resulted in an already struggling Cleveland offense getting worse. The report even says that the personnel side is intruding on the coaching side to such an extent that a personnel executive texted from the press box to the sidelines about play calling during a game.

Shanahan is under contract to the Browns for the 2015 season, and if he wants to leave to become an assistant on another coaching staff, the Browns don’t have to let him go. But if there’s already a toxic atmosphere inside the team, forcing a coach to stay even though he wants to leave probably wouldn’t improve the situation. It may be better for both sides if Shanahan leaves Cleveland.
This guy, along with Daddy Rat Shanahan will get along famously with Rat Marathe and "What. Me accountable?" Snot nosed Jed. Classy indeed.

I'm hoping the Bucs land Roman. I'd love to see another year of the Bucs at the bottom of the NFC South.
Isn't Harbaugh's refusal to get rid of Roman one of the 'personel' issues that led to him leaving?

I thought you wanted Roman to stay?
Roman has been part of the problem for the last 2 seasons. Been wanting him gone for a while.
You really have to unpack this better than "I hate Roman so much that I want to see him fail in Tampa too!".

The 49er rushing TD totals from 2007 forward:

2007: 8

2009: 12

2010: 10

2011: 14

2012: 17

2013: 18

2014: 10

I'm going to repost Spin's excellent point of a key stat:

Bear in mind, the offensive line that is currently built is not as athletic as one would think. It's a Zampese Cowboys offensive based line, built since the 49ers since 2006 before Harbaugh have been in a Coryell/Zampese based offense that Scot M built his idea upon. This isn't a Bobb McKittirck offensive line that was much lighter in weight to which benefits a WCO. They even added more beef for Jumbo packages, and isn't built with a true schematic as far as complex pass blocking, thus not seeing things such as a simple screen pass within the offense, due to a disconnect within the front office scouting of recent. Meaning: speed.

It has been excellent at more complex run schemes, and Roman looked to Chris Ault's offense when they started Kaepernick.

I mean, the 49ers have been in "Air Coryell" before Roman, with a QB before Kaepernick who even to this day has less yards from scrimmage beyond to the point of catch. In a WCO.

Ironically, Kaepernick is going to spend his off-season with Kurt Warner, who as I posted earlier, both have Anquan Boldin post back to back 1000 yards seasons in common. Maybe they should bring back Mike Martz. Like I said before, he would salivate if he had Kaepernick at QB.

It's funny how even I can figure this out, yet Trent "doesn't know offense from a turkey sandwich" Baalke can't. Again, your offense ain't gonna do better when Jed York is forcing Trent Baalke down your throat.

You're more enthusiastic when you post about what kind of beer arrived to you via UPS. Meaning that is more interesting than what you post here.

Its not that I hate Roman so much as it is I love seeing Tampa suck...let's face it though, Romans play calling has sucked, especially in big games.

You can only watch 3 straight passing plays from first and goal from inside the 5 so many times before you want to throw bricks at your TV.

And sorry, I don't read much of your long posts...I find my beer deliveries much more interesting and less repetitive.

Yeah, how many craft beers ya need to post ROMAN SUCKS ROMAN SUCKS ROMAN SUCKS? It would be a waste of craft beer to read, or use reason and stats in a post, in a thread you started.

Just sayin'.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled 49er newz.....

From the "Kaepernick ditches Hans and Franz this off-season" file:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/06/colin-kaepernick-to-train-with-kurt-warner-this-offseason/

Colin Kaepernick has lined up a two-time All-Pro quarterback and Super Bowl MVP to train with this offseason.

According to Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee, Kaepernick will work out with Kurt Warner and quarterback coach Dennis Gile in the Phoenix area in hopes of refining his game.

Kaepernick will study film and work on 7-on-7 drills with Warner

It’s hard to break habits in season,” Kaepernick said in December. “You don’t want to completely try to change something because it can throw off everything else you’re doing.

“There’s always things you can tighten up.”

Kaepernick appeared to regress as a passer this season in the 49ers offense. His interceptions were up, his touchdowns and yards per attempt were down and his passer rating was below 90 for the first time since replacing Alex Smith as the 49ers starter in 2012.
Good to see him work some things out this off-season other than his biceps.

Yeah, how many craft beers ya need to post ROMAN SUCKS ROMAN SUCKS ROMAN SUCKS? It would be a waste of craft beer to read, or use reason and stats in a post, in a thread you started.

Just sayin'.
How many times have you seen me post that Roman sucks? Go ahead and find em, Ill wait.....Im betting the over/under is 3.And just because I start a season thread doesnt mean I have to go into a million boring details about the past or try to prove how much I know about the history of the front office (ad nauseam) or copy and paste stats from profootballreference every post. Im just a normal fan - I have never been a writer or lived in the bay area, dont know or care about the beat writers or their agendas, dont give a rats ### about worthless, ancient info about the glory days, and I sure as hell dont bring posts/subjects from other sub forums (i.e. the beer thread in the FFA) into any Shark Pool thread.

Dont like it? Use the little ignore feature, although I doubt you ever have, even on the posters you cant stand...as Ive said before, you thrive on drama and confrontation, and would be lost without it.

Just sayin'.
How many times have you seen me post that Roman sucks? Go ahead and find em, Ill wait.....Im betting the over/under is 3.And just because I start a season thread doesnt mean I have to go into a million boring details about the past or try to prove how much I know about the history of the front office (ad nauseam) or copy and paste stats from profootballreference every post. Im just a normal fan - I have never been a writer or lived in the bay area, dont know or care about the beat writers or their agendas, dont give a rats ### about worthless, ancient info about the glory days, and I sure as hell dont bring posts/subjects from other sub forums (i.e. the beer thread in the FFA) into any Shark Pool thread.

Dont like it? Use the little ignore feature, although I doubt you ever have, even on the posters you cant stand...as Ive said before, you thrive on drama and confrontation, and would be lost without it.
1 - I'm not the one who wishes to see Roman fail in Tampa. I just posted recent information about him.

2 - Roman isn't even the sole person responsible for the passing offense, which you wanted to throw a brick at. John Morton and Geep Chryst has big hands in that part of the offense. So even if they had fired Roman, they still would have had a poor passing offense.

3 - Successful NFL franchises start with the organization itself. Do we ignore what they do on draft day? Do we ignore any internal strife that can derail the team on the field of play? I mean, you have posted ad nauseam about that issue.

4 - Knowing about the organization helps me place my faith in it. Things like buying a jersey - which I haven't since the Yorks fired Mariucci - or buying a PSL are affected by placing faith within said organization. I dunno if you buy tickets over at Raymond James. Maybe ya do, to go see if Roman can fail there.

5 - Said organization just fired their most successful head coach under their stead, and now are in the midst of another head coaching search. Again, knowing who is in that front office helps me place my faith in that as well.

6 - Posting about "ancient Glory Days" means you have lived through them.

7 - Football is about numbers - they even have them on the aforementioned jerseys - so using stats is kind of a good idea when fleshing out thoughts about football. PFR is an excellently curated almanac of those football numbers, because, well even ancient history has it's place. Especially when researching those good 'ol ancient Glory Days.

8 - I don't use the ignore function because that is censoring information, or others. It's America man. Free speech and all that. Using the ignore function is akin to putting your fingers in your ears and saying out loud "LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!".

9 - Yeah, bringing in your thoughts in the FFA about beer is like, putting a poster's alias in the thread title.

10 - thecatch - who is in "LALA" land I post - already brought his FFA thoughts in this thread first. I'm not setting a precedent here.

There it is! Your Ten Points to Ponder for the day. I hope that number ain't too big enough for ya!

Ok, Ill play along.

drummer said:
1 - I'm not the one who wishes to see Roman fail in Tampa. I just posted recent information about him. And? You asked me to unpack why I said I hope Roman goes to TB and fails. I answered by saying that I like seeing the Bucs suck because Buc fans around here are pathetic, and the more they lose, the less I have to hear them talk about their team.

2 - Roman isn't even the sole person responsible for the passing offense, which you wanted to throw a brick at. John Morton and Geep Chryst has big hands in that part of the offense. So even if they had fired Roman, they still would have had a poor passing offense. I didnt say anything about the passing offense. I referrenced how they seem to forget about the running game near the goal line, which is frustrating.

3 - Successful NFL franchises start with the organization itself. Do we ignore what they do on draft day? Do we ignore any internal strife that can derail the team on the field of play? I mean, you have posted ad nauseam about that issue. Ad nauseam? You want to see ad nauseam? Cuz I can show you that. Ive mentioned the rift this season because its RELEVANT NOW. I dont reference things from 15 years ago like it still matters.

4 - Knowing about the organization helps me place my faith in it. Things like buying a jersey - which I haven't since the Yorks fired Mariucci - or buying a PSL are affected by placing faith within said organization. I dunno if you buy tickets over at Raymond James. Maybe ya do, to go see if Roman can fail there. The only Buc games I go to are when they play SF or NO, because my friend, who has had Bucs season tickets for 10 years, gives me her 2nd ticket for those games. Ive paid for maybe 3 Buc game tickets in the last 15 years. Just so you know.

5 - Said organization just fired their most successful head coach under their stead, and now are in the midst of another head coaching search. Again, knowing who is in that front office helps me place my faith in that as well. Knowing is one thing, but bringing up Jimmy Raye, Scot M, Mooch, etc constantly has nothing to do with this team now. This aint your daddy's 49ers.

6 - Posting about "ancient Glory Days" means you have lived through them. Living through them? Most of us have. It doesnt make the rest of us post about them every other post like they matter today.

7 - Football is about numbers - they even have them on the aforementioned jerseys - so using stats is kind of a good idea when fleshing out thoughts about football. PFR is an excellently curated almanac of those football numbers, because, well even ancient history has it's place. Especially when researching those good 'ol ancient Glory Days. I do enjoy stats, but they can be used to prove almost any argument based on which stats one chooses to post. I dont feel the need to post a ton of them to explain my opinions. Im allowed to have opinions, as is everyone, if you dont like mine, good for you. But dont expect me to run a bunch of numbers to explain why I have a certain opinion. If you do, more power to you. But the fact that I choose not to doesnt make me any less of a fan.

8 - I don't use the ignore function because that is censoring information, or others. It's America man. Free speech and all that. Using the ignore function is akin to putting your fingers in your ears and saying out loud "LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!". Not buying it. You dont use ignore because you love iFighting on the internet. Plain and simple. Just my opinion, I dont have stats to back that up.

9 - Yeah, bringing in your thoughts in the FFA about beer is like, putting a poster's alias in the thread title. And who did it first? Did I besmirch your name in the title? On the contrary, I gave you the props you so desperately need/want.

10 - thecatch - who is in "LALA" land I post - already brought his FFA thoughts in this thread first. I'm not setting a precedent here. No clue what youre talking about here, but OK.

There it is! Your Ten Points to Ponder for the day. I hope that number ain't too big enough for ya!

Anyways...

I'm not huge on Shanny at all. I hate to say this (regardless any name is a downgrade to what we had), but I'd like to give Josh McDaniels a shot. It isn't so much that I like him, I just hate him a little less than the others on the list.

Anyways...

I'm not huge on Shanny at all. I hate to say this (regardless any name is a downgrade to what we had), but I'd like to give Josh McDaniels a shot. It isn't so much that I like him, I just hate him a little less than the others on the list.
Ugh, I'm torn on this. I'd like to see the 49ers let Kaep run more then he seems to in the first half of each season. I get it, they're trying to preserve him, but to what extent? I want to see the QB I watched run against the GB in the playoffs. That is the only time our offense looks "dynamic". When the lbs are playing spy on Kaep and the slant routes are open, or Kaep can escape the pocket and take off. Man is he fast.

I think McDaniels would open up the offense more, and I'm sure Shanny would bring back the read-option like RG3's rookie year.

Every coach I hear they are bringing in for interviews just depresses me.

Ok, Ill play along.

drummer said:
1 - I'm not the one who wishes to see Roman fail in Tampa. I just posted recent information about him. And? You asked me to unpack why I said I hope Roman goes to TB and fails. I answered by saying that I like seeing the Bucs suck because Buc fans around here are pathetic, and the more they lose, the less I have to hear them talk about their team.

2 - Roman isn't even the sole person responsible for the passing offense, which you wanted to throw a brick at. John Morton and Geep Chryst has big hands in that part of the offense. So even if they had fired Roman, they still would have had a poor passing offense. I didnt say anything about the passing offense. I referrenced how they seem to forget about the running game near the goal line, which is frustrating.

3 - Successful NFL franchises start with the organization itself. Do we ignore what they do on draft day? Do we ignore any internal strife that can derail the team on the field of play? I mean, you have posted ad nauseam about that issue. Ad nauseam? You want to see ad nauseam? Cuz I can show you that. Ive mentioned the rift this season because its RELEVANT NOW. I dont reference things from 15 years ago like it still matters.

4 - Knowing about the organization helps me place my faith in it. Things like buying a jersey - which I haven't since the Yorks fired Mariucci - or buying a PSL are affected by placing faith within said organization. I dunno if you buy tickets over at Raymond James. Maybe ya do, to go see if Roman can fail there. The only Buc games I go to are when they play SF or NO, because my friend, who has had Bucs season tickets for 10 years, gives me her 2nd ticket for those games. Ive paid for maybe 3 Buc game tickets in the last 15 years. Just so you know.

5 - Said organization just fired their most successful head coach under their stead, and now are in the midst of another head coaching search. Again, knowing who is in that front office helps me place my faith in that as well. Knowing is one thing, but bringing up Jimmy Raye, Scot M, Mooch, etc constantly has nothing to do with this team now. This aint your daddy's 49ers.

6 - Posting about "ancient Glory Days" means you have lived through them. Living through them? Most of us have. It doesnt make the rest of us post about them every other post like they matter today.

7 - Football is about numbers - they even have them on the aforementioned jerseys - so using stats is kind of a good idea when fleshing out thoughts about football. PFR is an excellently curated almanac of those football numbers, because, well even ancient history has it's place. Especially when researching those good 'ol ancient Glory Days. I do enjoy stats, but they can be used to prove almost any argument based on which stats one chooses to post. I dont feel the need to post a ton of them to explain my opinions. Im allowed to have opinions, as is everyone, if you dont like mine, good for you. But dont expect me to run a bunch of numbers to explain why I have a certain opinion. If you do, more power to you. But the fact that I choose not to doesnt make me any less of a fan.

8 - I don't use the ignore function because that is censoring information, or others. It's America man. Free speech and all that. Using the ignore function is akin to putting your fingers in your ears and saying out loud "LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!". Not buying it. You dont use ignore because you love iFighting on the internet. Plain and simple. Just my opinion, I dont have stats to back that up.

9 - Yeah, bringing in your thoughts in the FFA about beer is like, putting a poster's alias in the thread title. And who did it first? Did I besmirch your name in the title? On the contrary, I gave you the props you so desperately need/want.

10 - thecatch - who is in "LALA" land I post - already brought his FFA thoughts in this thread first. I'm not setting a precedent here. No clue what youre talking about here, but OK.

I guess history, even recent history post Mooch, doesn't matter when you live in Tampa. It matters to those who live here in the West Coast, and especially the Bay Area. History is what fans can hold Jed York "accountable" for, since he brings it up constantly, making that very relevant to today's discussion.

Buc fans have nothing to do with this either.

It's your thread Bubba. I'm just sayin' with you as the OP of it, you should try to drive the discussion more than just whine with one sentence posts. You didn't give any other posters here a chance to start a 2015 thread because you canned the other one in a fit, and started this one with this:

No sense in using the '14 thread any more.First order of business is a new coach. <yawn>

This sucks.
I mean, way to go man, way to go. That's the way you kick off the off-season, then into the draft, camp, and into the next.

If I come off as toolish, so be it, I don't care. I don't get paid to do this so I don't lose anything, not even time because it takes no time to write a post. Sometimes you need a "tool" to hammer a discussion, and I don't have a problem using them, like stats, offenses, coaches, and.........

Ya know, history, being that today will be history tomorrow, as last week is history, and according to you, last season is ancient history.

Kinda feel bad for 5Rings too. He may get that 6th when he is Bill Ring's age, if he isn't there already. If he is, sorry man, you're stuck on 5 until 75.
I like the bill ring call :lol:

Me and lenvil Elliot are gonna mug balkke. Can't believe anybody sees Jim leaving as a positive :(

Return to the mid 70s

Kinda feel bad for 5Rings too. He may get that 6th when he is Bill Ring's age, if he isn't there already. If he is, sorry man, you're stuck on 5 until 75.

Me and lenvil Elliot are gonna mug balkke. Can't believe anybody sees Jim leaving as a positive :(

Return to the mid 70s
Bring Fudgehammer along with ya to mug Baalke.

2015 opponents:

Home: Arizona, St. Louis, Seattle, Green Bay, Minnesota, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Atlanta

Away: Arizona, St. Louis, Seattle, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, NY Giants

Return to the mid 70s
To be fair, I don't think that it is any of the Niner fans that see it as a positive. Trolls from other teams come in to tell us how "lucky" we are to not have to deal with Harbaugh's ego and temper any more.. and any coach could take this talented team to the playoffs.... or something like that

Users who are viewing this thread