What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official SF 49ers 2015 thread *** Chip Kelly new HC (1 Viewer)

Another to think over: the other 3 TE's outside of Davis caught for 188 yards.

Fullback Bruce Miller, in only 8 starts, caught for 189.

Davis caught for 245 in 14 starts

The Harbaugh love in this thread is unbelievable. You guys are acting as if he was a Belichick or Pete Carroll.
Look up Carroll's 1st 4 seasons as an NFL head coach. Then keep posting because you're hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:
drummer said:
The Yorks have had the reputation as the one of the worst owners in professional sports. How did that change?

Harbaugh.

Now they fired him for petty reasons other than winning games. Which he did, like Mooch did.
??? I had never heard of the Yorks before this. And I have heard about a lot of other meddling owners.
Of course you haven't. You've only been following the NFL for a few seasons.

I love it when Squawk fans comment over this with: "Harbaugh was our biggest rival. Too bad he is gone now".

I mean, how shallow is your team's history when Harbaugh was your biggest rival?

drummer said:
The Yorks have had the reputation as the one of the worst owners in professional sports. How did that change?

Harbaugh.

Now they fired him for petty reasons other than winning games. Which he did, like Mooch did.
??? I had never heard of the Yorks before this. And I have heard about a lot of other meddling owners.
You're quite abrassive when people have a differing opinion than you. How old are you?

People can argue without throwing insults around.

Why in the world would anyone outside of SF have heard of the Yorks before JH signed there. They haven't been a marquee franchise for 20 years. And I will admit that I only know around 10 NFL owners off the top of my head.

drummer said:

Harbaugh.

You're quite abrassive when people have a differing opinion than you. How old are you?

Why in the world would anyone outside of SF have heard of the Yorks before JH signed there. They haven't been a marquee franchise for 20 years. And I will admit that I only know around 10 NFL owners off the top of my head.
Well, you've probably never heard of Ken Behring either.

The Harbaugh love in this thread is unbelievable. You guys are acting as if he was a Belichick or Pete Carroll.
Look up Carroll's 1st 4 seasons as an NFL head coach. Then keep posting because you're hilarious.
It's much easier to do a search for National Championships and Superbowls. How many does Harbaugh have as a coach? Does he have any as a player?
It's also just as easy to search for a grilled cheese sandwich recipe too.

drummer said:

Harbaugh.

I've only heard of him because I'm a Seahawk fan. I wouldn't think a lot of fans in the NFL would know who he was outside of Seattle. Especially during those years.

drummer said:

Harbaugh.

I've only heard of him because I'm a Seahawk fan. I wouldn't think a lot of fans in the NFL would know who he was outside of Seattle. Especially during those years.
Well, I can tell how long you've been a Seahawk fan when you have only heard of him.

drummer said:

Harbaugh.

You're quite abrassive when people have a differing opinion than you. How old are you?People can argue without throwing insults around.

Yorks took over circa 1999...coincidence? Hardly.

drummer said:

Harbaugh.

You're quite abrassive when people have a differing opinion than you. How old are you?People can argue without throwing insults around.

Yorks took over circa 1999...coincidence? Hardly.
Shhhh...he's busy looking up Pete Carroll and National Championships on Bing. Because, ya know, Google is the Bay Area.

I hope he doesn't find the year 2004, and the Texas Longhorns in that search.

:lmao: I see much more York hate than Harbaugh love here. That said, Harbaugh took us deep into the playoffs 3 of 4 years, and to the postseason for the first time since 2002....what the #### is it to you if we like the guy?

:lmao: I see much more York hate than Harbaugh love here. That said, Harbaugh took us deep into the playoffs 3 of 4 years, and to the postseason for the first time since 2002....what the #### is it to you if we like the guy?
He probably doesn't know who Chuck Knox is, only has heard of him.

Anyway...

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!

I hope everybody has a fantastic new year. Seriously. Have a safe one, and let's do another year together!

From SF Chronicle today:

** Since Harbaughs departure, plenty have asked why the 49ers couldnt make things work with such a successful coach. He had a pain-in-the-rear personality? Sure, but that hardly makes him unique among the NFL head coaches. The 49ers won, but didnt do so with class? OK, but the responsibility for that ultimately falls on York.

However, if York demanded Harbaugh make changes to his staff and Harbaugh refused, well, that would qualify as a philosophical difference that wouldnt be resolved (among others, no doubt). In the end, Harbaughs exit might have become official because he wouldnt do what the 49ers and many of their fans wanted him to do: Fire Greg Roman.

From SF Chronicle today:

** Since Harbaughs departure, plenty have asked why the 49ers couldnt make things work with such a successful coach. He had a pain-in-the-rear personality? Sure, but that hardly makes him unique among the NFL head coaches. The 49ers won, but didnt do so with class? OK, but the responsibility for that ultimately falls on York.

However, if York demanded Harbaugh make changes to his staff and Harbaugh refused, well, that would qualify as a philosophical difference that wouldnt be resolved (among others, no doubt). In the end, Harbaughs exit might have become official because he wouldnt do what the 49ers and many of their fans wanted him to do: Fire Greg Roman.
I wouldn't do what 49er fans wanted either. Because most of them are idiots. Case in point? Buying PSL's in craphole Santa Clara.

You go 13-3 with a QB in Alex Smith your first season. The leading scorer was David Akers. Smith took 44 sacks while only tossing 17 TDs to 5 INTs. You remember Smith's first season under Mike McCarthy? 1 TD to 11 INTs. Under Norv Turner: 16 TDs to 16 INTs. Under Mike Martz? Lol, he couldn't make it past the pre-season without re-injuring his shoulder because he had to throw the ball deep.

Today, the KC Chiefs offense until Chase Daniels had not had a TD pass to a WR in a calendar year. In a West Coast offense. Let me repeat this: in a West Coast Offense.

In this season's offense - which the front office meddled with - Kaepernick had two WRs go over 1000 yards with Anquan Boldin, Stevie Johnson/Michael Crabtree. Why do I say two? Because Crabs and Johnson are pretty much the same WR. Seriously.

Boldin in the past two seasons had back to back 1000 yard seasons. The last time he had that? In AZ, with Kurt Warner at QB.

The reason why I would not want fans to make decisions with the team is because fans like Jeddifogger don't know football. That's why the Yorks fail every time. Well, outside of Harbaugh, because they think like fans. How the hell you think Mike Singletary was hired?

Names mentioned as possible HC candidates

Mike Shanahan, Rex Ryan, Adam Gase, Kyle Shanahan, Josh McDaniels, Teryl Austin, Todd Bowles.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2015/01/01/49ers-coaching-search-shanahan-ryan-to-interview-washington-calls-for-fangio-donatell/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

As the 49ers approach the 20th anniversary of their last Super Bowl win, their coaching search soon will take them to Mike Shanahan, offensive coordinator of that 1994 team.

Shanahan, 62, will interview this week with the 49ers in Denver, where they will meet Friday with Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase, the Denver Post reported.

Shanahan was out of the NFL last season after his four-season stint with Washington. Shanahans son, Kyle, the Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator, is also under consideration by the 49ers, the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reported earlier this week.

Also in the interview rotation is a Sunday sitdown with former New York Jets coach Rex Ryan, according to NFL.com. New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels also is expected to be interviewed.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, 49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio and secondary coach Ed Donatell have drawn interest from Washington about its vacant defensive coordinator spot, ESPN first reported. Only Donatell has received permission to interview, as Fangio remains a 49ers candidate to replace Jim Harbaugh, a league source confirmed.

Detroit Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin said the 49ers have requested to interview him next week. He and Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles are the only two known minority candidates that have surfaced in reports. Interviews with Austin and Bowles would have to wait until after their respective wild-card playoff games this weekend.

Names mentioned as possible HC candidates

Mike Shanahan, Rex Ryan, Adam Gase, Kyle Shanahan, Josh McDaniels, Teryl Austin, Todd Bowles.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2015/01/01/49ers-coaching-search-shanahan-ryan-to-interview-washington-calls-for-fangio-donatell/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

As the 49ers approach the 20th anniversary of their last Super Bowl win, their coaching search soon will take them to Mike Shanahan, offensive coordinator of that 1994 team.

Shanahan, 62, will interview this week with the 49ers in Denver, where they will meet Friday with Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase, the Denver Post reported.

Shanahan was out of the NFL last season after his four-season stint with Washington. Shanahans son, Kyle, the Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator, is also under consideration by the 49ers, the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reported earlier this week.

Also in the interview rotation is a Sunday sitdown with former New York Jets coach Rex Ryan, according to NFL.com. New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels also is expected to be interviewed.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, 49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio and secondary coach Ed Donatell have drawn interest from Washington about its vacant defensive coordinator spot, ESPN first reported. Only Donatell has received permission to interview, as Fangio remains a 49ers candidate to replace Jim Harbaugh, a league source confirmed.

Detroit Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin said the 49ers have requested to interview him next week. He and Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles are the only two known minority candidates that have surfaced in reports. Interviews with Austin and Bowles would have to wait until after their respective wild-card playoff games this weekend.
As good as Fangio is, it's weird that he isn't on the top list for a head coaching job. Probably because his success is tied to Harbaugh. Both of them, maybe.

Imagine Rex Ryan on the sideline next year.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.
Maybe they are waiting to see the outcome of BAL vs. PIT. Ya know because according to Jed "a better coach would had won that Super Bowl".

Maybe all these coaches are getting a free ticket to the Bay Area, to put feelers out over in Oakland.

It's a scary thought, i don't even know why they're interviewing him.

2 years ago, if you asked me to trade JH for Rex Ryan, I would've hunted you down and punched you in the face... Today I might just jump out the window.

I dunno why Shanny is the rotation. Snot nosed Jed is just a younger version of Danny Boy. Jed will probably hire him just to rip up Kaep's knees. Revenge for Kaep taking the job from his best bud Alex.

fantasycurse42 said:
Wingnut said:

It's a scary thought, i don't even know why they're interviewing him.

2 years ago, if you asked me to trade JH for Rex Ryan, I would've hunted you down and punched you in the face... Today I might just jump out the window.
I don't mind him as a coach generally but they better have an amazing OC lined up if they go that direction.

If the niners drop below .500 next season with this new guy he brings in, York's in serious trouble. Niners need to bring in an offensive mind for HC. That defense is good enough they'll get the job done (most of the time) regardless of who's leading them.

If the niners drop below .500 next season with this new guy he brings in, York's in serious trouble. Niners need to bring in an offensive mind for HC. That defense is good enough they'll get the job done (most of the time) regardless of who's leading them.
The defense is eroding fast too, and drafting a midget safety in the first round ain't gonna help.

Defense isn't the same as 2 years back, window is almost shut. IMO wasting a pick on Jimmie Ward just set us back as we still need to use an early pick on the secondary. Huge fan of Eric Reid, although I am concerned about his durability. One pick Trent actually did get right.

Defense isn't the same as 2 years back, window is almost shut. IMO wasting a pick on Jimmie Ward just set us back as we still need to use an early pick on the secondary. Huge fan of Eric Reid, although I am concerned about his durability. One pick Trent actually did get right.
How did Ward do this year? Liked him as a prospect and thought they'd use him like they should, as a third safety.

Defense isn't the same as 2 years back, window is almost shut. IMO wasting a pick on Jimmie Ward just set us back as we still need to use an early pick on the secondary.Huge fan of Eric Reid, although I am concerned about his durability. One pick Trent actually did get right.
How did Ward do this year? Liked him as a prospect and thought they'd use him like they should, as a third safety.
He got a little toasted when defenses picked on him, especially when matched up against bigger WRs and TEs. He only started and played in 8 games, and went out for the season with a foot injury.

Put me in the camp that thinks harbough isn't that good of a coach. I think he road the wave of a good team and a good roster (and a stellar defense). I know people will disagree with me and I don't want to argue but I for one am glad to see him gone. I found watching the 49ers difficult because i thought he was just too much of a whiny ****.

That being said Harbough or not we are entering a very dark period i think. Aging defense, nothing on offense, no direction, no personality, no qb, nobody to catch the ball....this has a decade of darkness written all over it.

Hopefully not though

He got hurt halfway through the season. He is an undersized safety/nickel CB... There was an opportunity to move up and take Fuller and they didn't. They took him over Roby too which I also hated.

Put me in the camp that thinks harbough isn't that good of a coach. I think he road the wave of a good team and a good roster (and a stellar defense). I know people will disagree with me and I don't want to argue but I for one am glad to see him gone. I found watching the 49ers difficult because i thought he was just too much of a whiny ****.

That being said Harbough or not we are entering a very dark period i think. Aging defense, nothing on offense, no direction, no personality, no qb, nobody to catch the ball....this has a decade of darkness written all over it.

Hopefully not though
So why was this same team 6-10 the year before? What shifted them from 6-10 to 13-3?

Considering what Harbaugh had done with a very unstable front office - even prior to his arrival for many many years - can't be slighted in the least. He has more experience in his job and in the NFL than Parag, Jed, and maybe even Baalke has. Just think of those three with a Jim Mora Jr, or a retread in Brian Billick.

I think I'll leave that there for y'all to ponder.

fantasycurse42 said:
killface said:

Hopefully not though
So why was this same team 6-10 the year before? What shifted them from 6-10 to 13-3?
by that same token what shifted to go from 13-3 to 8-8?

there is always something that can be pointed at. I personally think the 49ers had close to the right pieces in place by then. He brought a certain energy with him (which I thought got old pretty quick) and that helped for sure. That sheen wore off pretty fast thought didn't it?

That being said to each his own and I am not here to argue the case either way. He doesn't have enough experience yet to say whether he is brilliant or just got on with the right team at the right time

And don't get me wrong we have had some terrible coaches in the past...

fantasycurse42 said:
killface said:

Hopefully not though

there is always something that can be pointed at. I personally think the 49ers had close to the right pieces in place by then. He brought a certain energy with him (which I thought got old pretty quick) and that helped for sure. That sheen wore off pretty fast thought didn't it?

That being said to each his own and I am not here to argue the case either way. He doesn't have enough experience yet to say whether he is brilliant or just got on with the right team at the right time

You don't fire a head coach when his worst season is 8-8. That's completely asinine.

fantasycurse42 said:
killface said:

Hopefully not though

You don't fire a head coach when his worst season is 8-8. That's completely asinine.
I'm not letting upper management off the hook here...the 49ers are in dysfunctional land right now and very well may turn into the detroit lions (minus this year).

fantasycurse42 said:
killface said:

Hopefully not though
Most of the back 7, Vernon Davis turned into a ghost after getting injured early, and for some reason the team shifted away from its strength (the run game) despite investing in a top 60 back.Wouldn't be surprised if the team knew of the rift between Harbaugh and management too. Would be pretty difficult to hide.

fantasycurse42 said:
killface said:

Hopefully not though
Distractions and injuries.

Can't blame it on injuries. Most of those were to the defense and they still finished as a top 5 unit. It's all on the offense, whether you blame that on Kaep, Roman, or Harbaugh.

Can't blame it on injuries. Most of those were to the defense and they still finished as a top 5 unit. It's all on the offense, whether you blame that on Kaep, Roman, or Harbaugh.
This

Lots of teams had plenty of injuries and still played great ball.

This

Again, your offense isn't going to do anything when you have Jed York forcing Trent Baalke down your throat.

The stats post 2011 - which still spiked the offense less passing due to having Alex Smith, who has never proved himself even today as a franchise QB - has shown that even during a radical switch within offense got them to the Super Bowl. I have posted much data to show this, time and time again. Let's say Baalke sold out the entire draft 2012 on WRs, like he did on DB's in 2014. He still may have hit only one. I have said this before and I will say this even more: you draft BPA. If you have a plethora of picks, how can you blow an entire draft?

In four seasons, the 49ers under Harbaugh and Roman compiled over 21,000 yards in offense.

The previous seasons from 2005 before Harbaugh? 26,884.

Hell, I can add to this this math by 5000 yards prior to Harbaugh and Roman, and it would still mean that Roman has proved more offense - much due to the consistency at OC, which if thecatch had the balls to read my posts - than the carousel of changing OC's hurting yardage more than having Mike McCarthy, Norv Turner, Jim Hostler, Mike Martz/Ted Tollner, Jimmy Raye/Whatever in consecutive seasons.

Of course I can post all kinds of data to show how under the York era offense has declined, but why waste that on 49er fans?

This

Again, your offense isn't going to do anything when you have Jed York forcing Trent Baalke down your throat.

The stats post 2011 - which still spiked the offense less passing due to having Alex Smith, who has never proved himself even today as a franchise QB - has shown that even during a radical switch within offense got them to the Super Bowl. I have posted much data to show this, time and time again. Let's say Baalke sold out the entire draft 2012 on WRs, like he did on DB's in 2014. He still may have hit only one. I have said this before and I will say this even more: you draft BPA. If you have a plethora of picks, how can you blow an entire draft?

In four seasons, the 49ers under Harbaugh and Roman compiled over 21,000 yards in offense.

The previous seasons from 2005 before Harbaugh? 26,884.

Hell, I can add to this this math by 5000 yards prior to Harbaugh and Roman, and it would still mean that Roman has proved more offense - much due to the consistency at OC, which if thecatch had the balls to read my posts - than the carousel of changing OC's hurting yardage more than having Mike McCarthy, Norv Turner, Jim Hostler, Mike Martz/Ted Tollner, Jimmy Raye/Whatever in consecutive seasons.

Of course I can post all kinds of data to show how under the York era offense has declined, but why waste that on 49er fans?
Not saying you are incorrect by any means but in 2014 the average yards per season for a team was 5600 yards. In 2005 it was closer to 5000 yards. My experience watching the 49ers is that the one year that Kaep was new and nobody really tried to stop him the offense was electric. Otherwise it has been pretty terrible with occasional good game beating up on a bad team. In 2014 the 49ers has 5200 yards...same as the Jets more or less (the pack was 6100 yards). In 2013 the output was actually lower at 5100 yards (Broncos 7100 yards). In 2012 we had the spike as I discussed at 5800 yards. Then in 2011 way back at 4900 yards

We have been in the bottom 2/3 of the league 3 of the last 4 years

Top 5 unit - maybe in yards allowed, which to me isn't a true measure of a defense. Late in the year They gave up 24 to Oakland, 38 to San Diego, barely beat Arizona (who had a 3rd string QB and nothing to play for)..and of course lost to Seattle twice...I doubt they lose all those games with Bowman and Willis healthy.As for the offense, I think the distractions played a huge part...take away the friction between the FO and coach and I think they focus on playing football and have a better season.

Just my $.02.

Users who are viewing this thread