What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Skiing Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Ikon pass. ?  On same skis and in same boots for 20+ years now.  Might upgrade but I still like my boards.  Salomon pocket rockets.
So pumped for the Ikon Pass.  Bought them early, so less than $2,000 for the whole family this year.  Great excuse to take the family on weekend road trips to check out new ski areas, that we get to ski for free.  Kids are 11 and 14 so figure we only have a few more years of quality family trips and the timing of this new pass couldn't have come at a better time.

Thinking about hitting Tahoe for a few days, and spending a day in Mammoth on our way down to SoCal for Xmas...

We live in Winter Park, so easy day trips to Steamboat and Copper Mountain are on the agenda...

Can make a weekend trip to Aspen fairly easily... 

But I'm most excited for planning separate weekend trips to Taos, Big Sky, and Jackson Hole...  I haven't skied those areas for over 20 years, but they are all epic in their own way. 

The IKON pass is awesome. I’m doing deer valley for a week because of it.  I just need to pick my other destination trip. Mammoth is my home mountain. 

deer valley was pretty cool.  you'll like it.    

check Canada,   Red Mountain, Revelstoke, Big White, Kicking Horse, for non whistler options.   Revelstoke is the nicest resort, Red mtn is like a throwback to the 70's but great snow and terrain.   Kicking Horse is mostly advanced./expert skiing.    Big white is similar to Red Mtn

or alberta- there's several, main one is Sunshine then lake Louise

canadian exchange rate currently .76

deer valley was pretty cool.  you'll like it.    

check Canada,   Red Mountain, Revelstoke, Big White, Kicking Horse, for non whistler options.   Revelstoke is the nicest resort, Red mtn is like a throwback to the 70's but great snow and terrain.   Kicking Horse is mostly advanced./expert skiing.    Big white is similar to Red Mtn

or alberta- there's several, main one is Sunshine then lake Louise

canadian exchange rate currently .76
That exchange rate is interesting.  Any thoughts on which of the Canadian resorts on the IKON pass is most accessible from the States (plan on flying)?

I met a Canadian couple in Hawaii this year, and they pushed Revelstoke as a place I would love, but it also seemed like a PITA to get to.

Revelstoke is the hardest. The others are easy. We drove 9 hrs from Spokane to get to Revelstoke. Involves a ferry to cross a giant lake. 

Going to Chamonix in January and kicking horse in February. Can't freaking wait.

From what I've read and heard, the snow tends to be wetter at revelstoke than kicking horse, which is why we're going there instead. All the powder highway resorts look great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't go nearly as much anymore.  I blame equipment costs and lift ticket costs, but a good portion is laziness since by being in Virginia I have to drive a ways to even find anything passable.  My kids both love to go skiing, but trying to keep up with equipment when we go so few times is a losing battle.  It bums me out a bit that they don't get to go as much as I did when I was a kid.  For awhile my parents used to take my brother and I up to Canada to ski almost every weekend.  Blows my mind that they used to get season passes to a little place in Ontario for $100 each.

Going to Chamonix in January and kicking horse in February. Can't freaking wait.

From what I've read and heard, the snow tends to be wetter at revelstoke than kicking horse, which is why we're going there instead. All the powder highway resorts look great.
I've skied both. 

I don't think that's true, personally.  Revelstoke has a fairly big bowl to the left of the highest run that for sure will be powder most days. Kicking horse has several bowls, is just more terrain. 

The skiing is comparable. Revelstoke has a better resort on site, so if I had to go back for a few days I'd go there. Also the city is much larger if you need to go into town for stuff.

I would say the mountain itself is better at kicking horse, plenty of steeps and lots of area. Both places it takes 20-25 minutes to ski out the final run to the bottom. Revelstoke has a brew pub halfway down, genius.

Whistler is expecting 3-6 feet through Tuesday. I'm thinking about booking, but the fact that air temps at the base are expected to be above freezing through that time has me hesitant. So it will be raining at the bottom of the hill? That sounds to me like wet snow on the mountain. Anybody familiar with the weather at Whistler? Going out there only to find it's cement would suck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know how I missed this thread.  I only get up about 15 times most years but this year I'm going to try to hit 30.  I've got 3 so far with another coming this Saturday.  I'm in CO and have the Epic pass but have only done Breck so far but am planning to hit Vail Saturday.  We'll do a 5 day trip over MLK weekend and a 9 day in March during spring break.  The snow thus far in the year has been better than the last few years so here's hoping we keep it up!

pray for snow!

headed to deer valley 1/1, for a full week.  

got a couple feet when we were in mammoth, over thanksgiving!  may we get the same in UT

Heading to Okemo in VT on Friday for all of next week.  Next year I think we take the plunge and bring the kids out West.  They have skied basically the entire lives but always local (2 hours from NYC) or in VT.  Leaning towards Telluride for their first trip out west. 

Heading to Crested Butte in a week and a half. Anything I should know? Looks like there is going to be plenty of fresh pow this week and next. 
:pickle:  
Love Crested Butte. Where are you staying? What is your ability level? The family that owned it recently sold it to Vail, so I'm curious to what extent that is noticeable. Last year you could get two for one lift tickets at Costco in Denver. I doubt that's a thing anymore.

We’re renting a house. 1/2 mile to one of the lifts. My wife and I are beginners and our friends are probably intermediate. We have the epic 4 day pass so the three days we’ll be there is perfect.
Like beginner, beginners? If so, I'd take lessons first thing. That should get you to a point where you can at least ski from the top of the mountain by the end of the trip. Iirc, there is an intermediate way down.

Town is killer. There's a shuttle that goes back and forth from the resort, so I'd take advantage of that at night. Great food and bars if you're into that sort of thing.

i've got 15 days in so far.  looking to plan my next trip.  where to go....
Come to Colorado for a long weekend.  But just FYI - Skiing in jeans is looked down on here.  Figured you're a Raiders fan so you must be 100% jeans on the slopes!

yes and yes.  big sky is part of my pass as well.  can you fly right in?
We've rented a ski-in ski-out house with a few other families at Big Sky over the kids Spring Break this year. First time going, all about the Ikon Pass.  Can't wait.  Looks like Bozeman Airport is about 1 hour from Big Sky. 

5-7 days.  jackson hole, aspen, revelstoke, alta/snowbird  price and travel time are factors.  I'm in socal  probably end up mammoth, which i love!

got it.   :lmao:
I'm guessing you're a pretty good skier and like steep terrain, so I would absolutely recommend Alta.  I brought my family there right before XMas, and I fell in love with it, again.  I hadn't skied there for over 20 years, and it's still awesome.  Not the biggest mountain, but the terrain is incredible, tons of steep chutes/runs that are short hikes, and most importantly the quality of snow is the best I've ever skied (yes, better than CO), and they've been getting a lot of snow this year. Flights into SLC are cheap.  Stay south of SLC and it's a 30 minute drive up the canyon.

We also skied Snowbird while we were there, but didn't enjoy it as much because there was heavy fog up high (at the steep stuff), which is evidently fairly common.   But I've also skied Snowbird on better days and was blown away.

We've rented a ski-in ski-out house with a few other families at Big Sky over the kids Spring Break this year. First time going, all about the Ikon Pass.  Can't wait.  Looks like Bozeman Airport is about 1 hour from Big Sky. 

I'm guessing you're a pretty good skier and like steep terrain, so I would absolutely recommend Alta.  I brought my family there right before XMas, and I fell in love with it, again.  I hadn't skied there for over 20 years, and it's still awesome.  Not the biggest mountain, but the terrain is incredible, tons of steep chutes/runs that are short hikes, and most importantly the quality of snow is the best I've ever skied (yes, better than CO), and they've been getting a lot of snow this year. Flights into SLC are cheap.  Stay south of SLC and it's a 30 minute drive up the canyon.

We also skied Snowbird while we were there, but didn't enjoy it as much because there was heavy fog up high (at the steep stuff), which is evidently fairly common.   But I've also skied Snowbird on better days and was blown away.
Yeah...if you like steep and deep, Utah is amazing.

i've got 15 days in so far.  looking to plan my next trip.  where to go....
i've only got 10 in so far but I've done 4 in the last 6 days.    I'm on a freakin roll here.

went night skiing last night it was terrible,  they had 3 feet of snow dump the last 3 days and it was supposed to be cold and fluffy up there.  Instead we got some warm air that came in during the day and melted and compacted that snow then it was refreezing by the time we got on the slopes around 5:30PM.     Very technical tough skiing, the entire mountain was bumpy, stiff with sticky snow on top of packed concrete.   good leg breaking material and a lot of exercise on the quads.   Legs are sore today

I’d love to go back to Utah. We did deer valley for New Years and got a couple nice storms. The bowls at deer valley were very very nice. The snow and the spacing of the trees, was incredible. I know they’re not known for there advanced terrain, but it was awesome. 

One of my issues of where to go, is my kid(12) is struggling in school and we don’t like to do holidays/weekends. She has 4 days off this weekend, no way am I getting near a ski resort. #spoiled

I’d love to go back to Utah. We did deer valley for New Years and got a couple nice storms. The bowls at deer valley were very very nice. The snow and the spacing of the trees, was incredible. I know they’re not known for there advanced terrain, but it was awesome. 

One of my issues of where to go, is my kid(12) is struggling in school and we don’t like to do holidays/weekends. She has 4 days off this weekend, no way am I getting near a ski resort. #spoiled
Yeah...double edged sword.  You get the time, but so does the rest of the world.

my vote for next year:  I know you are vested in the Ikon resorts (which offers great options)..... Arlberg, Val Gardena, Zermatt

Yeah...double edged sword.  You get the time, but so does the rest of the world.

my vote for next year:  I know you are vested in the Ikon resorts (which offers great options)..... Arlberg, Val Gardena, Zermatt
wife and i are seriously considering valle nevados, in chile, this august.

and yes!  gotta do a euro trip.  maybe take a month off.

Heading to Okemo in VT on Friday for all of next week.  Next year I think we take the plunge and bring the kids out West.  They have skied basically the entire lives but always local (2 hours from NYC) or in VT.  Leaning towards Telluride for their first trip out west. 
Had a great week in VT with great conditions for the east coast. Snowed during Presidents’ Day and got about 4 inches that day. Later in the week got another 2 or 3. Not big powder days but not the typical northeast ice fest. 

My kids were greatly improved and I had them sking all over the mountain with my 6 year old daughter doing glades and dumps!  

Definately going out west next year for a week. 

Had a great week in VT with great conditions for the east coast. Snowed during Presidents’ Day and got about 4 inches that day. Later in the week got another 2 or 3. Not big powder days but not the typical northeast ice fest. 

My kids were greatly improved and I had them sking all over the mountain with my 6 year old daughter doing glades and dumps!  

Definately going out west next year for a week. 
hit me up.  i need to up my days.  i seem to be stuck around 30.  next week, i go for 6 days, getting the total to 21, so far.  should be able to knock out 9 more by the end of april.  but i'd like to hit 45!  i plan on skiing mammoth on the 4th of july this year 

Was in Taos this past week.  Snowed 5 of the 6 days with 15 inches over Friday night.  Just an incredible week of fun skiing even if I’m a lowly intermediate skier. 

Was in Taos this past week.  Snowed 5 of the 6 days with 15 inches over Friday night.  Just an incredible week of fun skiing even if I’m a lowly intermediate skier. 
Taos rocks when they have snow, which obviously they have this year. One of my favorite mountains.

night skiing tomorrow night on Mt Hood

went up thurdsay night -  on mountain at 4PM, left at 6:15 and never got dark.    

we have about 5 feet of new snow the last week or so

Users who are viewing this thread