What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (3 Viewers)

I have pics....if anyone wants to see one, I can post....she is 12....so be careful...

Here is the full Copa America schedule from a BigSoccer post

Tuesday June 26, 2007

Venezuela vs Bolivia San Cristobal, Venezuela

Uruguay vs Peru Merida, Venezuela

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Mexico vs Brazil Puerto Ordaz, Venezuela

Ecuador vs Chile Puerto Ordaz, Venezuela

Thursday, June 28, 2007

USA vs Argentina Maracaibo, Venezuela

Paraguay vs Colombia Maracaibo, Venezuela

Friday, June 29, 2007

Rest Day

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Bolivia vs Uruguay San Cristobal, Venezuela

Venezuela vs Peru San Cristobal, Venezuela

Sunday, July 1, 2007

Mexico vs Ecuador Maturin, Venezuela

Brazil vs Chile Maturin, Venezuela

Monday July 2, 2007

USA vs Paraguay Barinas, Venezuela

Argentina vs Colombia Maracaibo, Venezuela

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Bolivia vs Peru Merida, Venezuela

Venezuela vs Uruguay Merida, Venezuela

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Mexico vs Chile Barcelona, Venezuela

Brazil vs Ecuador Barcelona, Venezuela

Thursday, July 5, 2007

USA vs Colombia Barquisimeto, Venezuela

Argentina vs Paraguay Barquisimeto, Venezuela

Friday, July 6, 2007

Rest Day

Saturday, July 7, 2007

Quarterfinal: 1st Group A vs 2nd Best 3rd in San Cristobal, Venezuela

Quarterfinal: 2nd Group B vs Best 3rd in Maracaibo, Venezuela

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Quarterfinal: 1st Group C vs 2nd Group A in Barquisimeto, Venezuela

Quarterfinal: 1st Group B vs 2nd Group C in Maturin, Venezuela

Monday, July 9, 2007

Rest Day

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Semifinal: Winner of (1st Group A vs 2nd Best 3rd) vs Winner of (2nd Group B vs Best 3rd) in Caracas, Venezuela

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Semifinal: Winner of (1st Group C vs 2nd Group A) vs Winner of (1st Group B vs 2nd Group C) in Puerto Ordaz, Venezuela

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Rest Day

Friday, July 13, 2007

Rest Day

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Rest Day

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Final in Maracaibo, Venezuela

3rd Place Match in Caracas, Venezuela

Most likely, if we get through with a 2nd place finish in our group, we'll face Brazil in the quarters. This set up benefits the host country's group, but makes no sense in the grand scheme of things. We'd do better in the draw to finish 3rd in our group and still go through: we'd meet either the winner of (Venezuela, Uruguay, Peru, or Bolivia)'s group or the second place team in Brazil's group (probably either Ecuador or Mexico, both of which teams we will have played in the spring) in the quarters. Should be an interesting proposition, especially since we'll be sending our B or C squad as it turns out.

From the SBJ

ESPN going all-HD for 7 sports

By JOHN OURAND

Staff writer

Published February 19, 2007 : Page 07

In a nod to the growing popularity of its high-definition broadcasts, ESPN plans to produce all game coverage from seven sports entirely in HD this year.

The commitment means that ESPN’s event programming of the NFL, NBA, MLB, NASCAR, MLS, college football and the National Hot Rod Association will be completely in HD this year.

From the SBJ

By JOHN OURAND

Staff writer

In a nod to the growing popularity of its high-definition broadcasts, ESPN plans to produce all game coverage from seven sports entirely in HD this year.

The commitment means that ESPN’s event programming of the NFL, NBA, MLB, NASCAR, MLS, college football and the National Hot Rod Association will be completely in HD this year.
I can't wait for the popularity of MLS soccer to surpass hockey, NASCAR, and the NBA, but I don't think it's there yet.

I have pics....if anyone wants to see one, I can post....she is 12....so be careful...
My daughter is 11. She's also a terrific soccer player. She plays club-level right now. The next step is premier or select. She's already being "recruited", but the caveat is that the closest premier league is the PAGS league (Philadelphia Area Girls Soccer League). All the road games would be an hour and a half-two hours away. We're still deciding. Pics available, but she's even younger than 4's daughter.

From the SBJ

By JOHN OURAND

Staff writer

I can't wait for the popularity of MLS soccer to surpass hockey, NASCAR, and the NBA, but I don't think it's there yet.
:goodposting: turning ESPNHD on and seeing a regular broadcast is almost as bad as going hiring a stripper and having her be butt ugly when she arrives.

My daughter plays on the only "non-club" team in the Premier division in Nevada. Last year they won 3rd place in the State (I don' think they could have hung with the top 2), this year, I think they are capable of challenging, but are down to 11 girls because of 1 quitter and 2 broken legs. :sad:

My daughter plays on the only "non-club" team in the Premier division in Nevada. Last year they won 3rd place in the State (I don' think they could have hung with the top 2), this year, I think they are capable of challenging, but are down to 11 girls because of 1 quitter and 2 broken legs. :sad:
I played on a local premier team a few years ago.....it was way too competitive.....is it like that with girls or no?

The Z Machine said:
andy_b said:
From the SBJ

By JOHN OURAND

Staff writer

I think you will have to wait a very very long time to pass NASCAR and the NBA, if ever.However, soccer, especially when you factor in the ENORMOUS following of the Mexican league, is not all the far from hockey IMO already. And the two sports seem to be headed in different directions.

It might take another 10-15 years for MLS (by itself) to be more popular than the NHL (by itself), but I would bet less than 5 years before soccer (as a whole) is more popular than hockey (as a whole).

Safe to say hockey only dreams about the type of ratings that the World Cup got.

I played on a local premier team a few years ago.....it was way too competitive.....is it like that with girls or no?
The club teams are. Thats why we play non-club. They pay $2000 to be on the team, plus uniforms and every other expense related to playing a season and tournaments. We have a sponsor who pays for warm-ups, practice equipment, t-shirts, bags etc....we just pay for uniforms and tournament fees. Our biggest problem is that the clubs create a feeder system that keeps their teams full - if we lose a player we have to scrounge around middle school gym classes for kids who "look" athletic and plug them in. At U13 which she plays now, there are probably 10 club teams and us. By U16 most of the girls are so burned out there are only enough girls left to field about 4-6 teams (this is in a city of almost 2 million people!!).

From the San Diego Union Tribune this morning

"A more likely blockbuster announcement from MLS is the jersey sponsorship for David Beckham's Los Angeles Galaxy. Two sources have confirmed that the bidding is down to Citibank and Herbalife (and, interestingly, not Beckham sponsor adidas). The Citibank offer to have its name across the front of Galaxy shirt, the sources said, is a monster: five years, $49 million. A decision is expected any day."

Holy crap! If this is true, the shirt sponsorship alone will almost entirely pay for Beck's $10M a year salary.

"A more likely blockbuster announcement from MLS is the jersey sponsorship for David Beckham's Los Angeles Galaxy. Two sources have confirmed that the bidding is down to Citibank and Herbalife (and, interestingly, not Beckham sponsor adidas). The Citibank offer to have its name across the front of Galaxy shirt, the sources said, is a monster: five years, $49 million. A decision is expected any day."

Holy crap! If this is true, the shirt sponsorship alone will almost entirely pay for Beck's $10M a year salary.
Oy, time to unload my Citibank stock.

That's one of the reasons I always thought the Beckham deal was a good one...it shouldn't be too hard to come up with other ways to capitalize on him in any case and his recent resurgence at Real Madrid and calls to put him back on the English squad is doing nothing but helping MLS's cause. Hopefully the Red Bull guys get their act together and pay Zidane what he wants. Anyone see the ManU goal/controversy yesterday...is Lille blowing it out of proportion...I really wish they'd show more of those games...the RM/BM was fun too watch last night.

That's one of the reasons I always thought the Beckham deal was a good one...it shouldn't be too hard to come up with other ways to capitalize on him in any case and his recent resurgence at Real Madrid and calls to put him back on the English squad is doing nothing but helping MLS's cause. Hopefully the Red Bull guys get their act together and pay Zidane what he wants. Anyone see the ManU goal/controversy yesterday...is Lille blowing it out of proportion...I really wish they'd show more of those games...the RM/BM was fun too watch last night.
The Zidane stuff seems to have moved to the "off again" stage. From recent reports I think all talks have broken off.Do you have link to the ManU goal? Crap, never mind, work blocks Youtube :unsure:

re: Becks... no suprise at all that sponsors are lining up to get behind him and the Galaxy- those shirts are going worldwide in a huge way.re: Man U... I've only seen the replays on the news- can't tell what the ref's instructions to Lille were, or if he ever blew or needed to blow the whistle. Cheeky stuff though (gb Giggs).

Just saw that Preki is taking over coaching for Chivas. Always liked him as a player- be interesting to see what he does as a coach.

ESPN is reporting today that Patrik Berger, currently with Villa, is considering a move to MLS in the offseason, as he's fallen out of favor with O'Neill.

Oh, and United kicked ### last night in Honduras. MLS, beware of the Magic Triangle!

Boy did United look good last night. To win with that much ease in DC's offseason away to a strong Honduran side was very impressive.

I did not get to see the Houston game but from reports it seems they got out played by not only their opponents but by the refs (as usual when an MLS team travels).

Luckily they are only one goal down and hopefully can make that up in the return leg at home and move on.

Unless DC has a melt down, they should progress with ease.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy did United look good last night. To win with that much ease in DC's offseason away to a strong Honduran side was very impressive.I did not get to see the Houston game but from reports it seems they got out played by not only their opponents but by the refs (as usual when an MLS team travels).Luckily they are only one goal down and hopefully can make that up in the return leg at home and move on.Unless DC has a melt down, they should progress with ease.
Something I noticed in that DC game... the Honduran team really looked bad. DC had some nice moments, particularly when they moved the ball quickly. They held their shape defensively pretty well- which is what I noticed in relation to the Honduran team- how the hell could they be in mid-season form and defend so very very badly? Mexico's complaints about the USMNT last game hold true for the MLS teams as well- they've been very well trained to defend the last third. That Honduran team? not so much. Fortunately, DC exhibited some class in the offensive third (those were some fantastic goals!) that the Honduran team just didn't seem to have. Really glad to see the MLS pull an away win in such dramatic fashion. That Dynamo game was horrible... they were done in (yet again) by some typically shady reffing (2nd yellow on Dynamo player for "time wasting" as he somehow faked the bloody gash in his head). I grew up playing with and around Dominic Kinear and was amazed that he didn't go more ballistic with the crap going against his team (he was an over the top freaky kinda guy as a young man).

I grew up playing with and around Dominic Kinear and was amazed that he didn't go more ballistic with the crap going against his team (he was an over the top freaky kinda guy as a young man).
Floppo, where are you from? Was Kinnear a top player as a youth or did he grow into the role?The closest to a "good" player I played against out here in Mass was playing againt Mike Burns in High School. He was a good player but he was couple of years younger and had not yet blossomed into what one would have considered to be a future marginal national team player.

The club teams are. Thats why we play non-club. They pay $2000 to be on the team, plus uniforms and every other expense related to playing a season and tournaments. We have a sponsor who pays for warm-ups, practice equipment, t-shirts, bags etc....we just pay for uniforms and tournament fees. Our biggest problem is that the clubs create a feeder system that keeps their teams full - if we lose a player we have to scrounge around middle school gym classes for kids who "look" athletic and plug them in. At U13 which she plays now, there are probably 10 club teams and us. By U16 most of the girls are so burned out there are only enough girls left to field about 4-6 teams (this is in a city of almost 2 million people!!).
I suffered severe burnout from premier soccer fast. I played from ages like 13-15 for Buffalo Premier Soccer Club.....we were the best team in Western NY (out of a whopping 2) but we never could beat our statewide rivals (Rochester, Syracuse, Broome County) on a consistent basis.I didn't particularly like it because of the cliques. I'm not going to sit here and lie and say I was this awesome player....I was dominant on the local travel soccer scene, but I was a backup CM (occasionally outside M or sweeper) who didn't see a lot of playing time. The starters would have various cliques and sort of torment the rest of us because we weren't as good. I mean, I realize now that it was childish and stupid, but at the time, that really hurt me. Eventually I quit the team after three years, it just wasn't fun playing for them anymore.I still play, but due to that Buffalo Premier experience and a problem with my high school coach (despite the fact that I started at midfield for our JV team, the Varsity coach flat out told me that he cut me because I was too small and too injury prone to cut it at a Varsity level....not based on my skill at all), I never played on the top level past my junior year of high school. I still dominated the travel soccer ranks which included dominating my high school teammates and rivals. But it didn't matter. I now play club soccer at my university. It's fun, but it's not the same. I don't think I'd ever want to play at that high level anymore, it's just not for me. I love the game and I still play it all the time, but it's a purely recreational/club/intramural level now. Just a side note, many players who I played with now start for their college teams.Don't let your daughter turn out like this.

My good buddy has a brother that was drafted by RSL and suffered a bad knee injury in training camp prior to playing for them. He's been rehabbing it ever since with them and now he's running and playing on it (no contact yet). he's here in Madrid to train at the Real Madrid training facilities (along with the rest of RSL). I'm trying to finagle a pass to come and see him practice and to check out Real's practice area.

I told him to try and hook me up with tix for a game at Bernabéu.

Robbie Fowler possible to MLS???????
This is at the very very early stages. Even Nicol himself said that Fowler is doing nothing more than dipping his toes in the water.Its not likely the Kraft's are going to pay him what he may want unless his price is much much cheaper than I would guess.

This is at the very very early stages. Even Nicol himself said that Fowler is doing nothing more than dipping his toes in the water.Its not likely the Kraft's are going to pay him what he may want unless his price is much much cheaper than I would guess.
Yeah, I see that they are denying this now though. Fowler would have been a very good score for the MLS. I think there would have been a huge backlash in England too. Fowler is huge.

Yeah, I see that they are denying this now though. Fowler would have been a very good score for the MLS. I think there would have been a huge backlash in England too. Fowler is huge.
The ironic thing is that a striker is the last position the Revs need, as Noonan and Twellman will form one of the better strike forces in MLS this season.

The second leg of the CCC is tonight.

Both MLS teams (DC and Houston) are at home.

DC has nice 3 goal lead, where as Houston is down a goal.

Both Mexican teams (PACHUCA CF and Chivas) won their quarter final games on aggregate and have advanced to the semis.

Brian Ching is still questionable as to whether he will play for Houston tonight.

Both games are on FSC (at 7:00pm and 9:00pm)

The second leg of the CCC is tonight.Both MLS teams (DC and Houston) are at home.DC has nice 3 goal lead, where as Houston is down a goal.Both Mexican teams (PACHUCA CF and Chivas) won their quarter final games on aggregate and have advanced to the semis.Brian Ching is still questionable as to whether he will play for Houston tonight.Both games are on FSC (at 7:00pm and 9:00pm)
Nice.Will watch the Houston game..... :towelwave:

I grew up playing with and around Dominic Kinear and was amazed that he didn't go more ballistic with the crap going against his team (he was an over the top freaky kinda guy as a young man).
Floppo, where are you from? Was Kinnear a top player as a youth or did he grow into the role?The closest to a "good" player I played against out here in Mass was playing againt Mike Burns in High School. He was a good player but he was couple of years younger and had not yet blossomed into what one would have considered to be a future marginal national team player.
Grew up in N Cal (SF area).Kinnear was a few years older- team-mates with former USMNTer John Doyle. They both worked a soccer camp run by my youth coach that I worked, and were on the older NCal state team when I played on the younger team. Dom was a superstar from early on- might have been on the youth national scene... was definitely on the west regional team. Think he played in early MLS too before moving on to coaching.I also played against Marcello Balboa every year at least once (he was on the SCal team, same age as me) and played with him at regional camps. One of my club team-mates, who could never even make the youth state team, had an incredible college career (at Cal), went to Germany and ended up playing for Hamburg! Played around Europe a bit and then came back and played with the Revs for a few years at the beginning of MLS. There were a handful of early MLS guys who were NCal players Bravo, Billy Thompson. Oh yeah... played with/against Jeff Agoos at the US Macabiah (jewish national team, if you can believe it) camps.Can't think of anybody else... Alexi Lalas in college- his Rutgers knocked us out of the NCAAs.Mike Burns... I remember that guy. Part of the USMNT's humble origins at the WC, right? Hard worker who didn't do much but didn't do much harm, which counted for a lot back then.

:unsure: Fowler is the quintessential MLS signing of the mid 90's- a former decent name who hasn't done much for a while and won't do anything in the league. He's a guy who always seems to be hurt or out of favor with the coach... neither things leading me to think he'd try to make a genuine go of things in the US. I REALLY hope they stear clear of Fowler.

I suffered severe burnout from premier soccer fast. I played from ages like 13-15 for Buffalo Premier Soccer Club.....we were the best team in Western NY (out of a whopping 2) but we never could beat our statewide rivals (Rochester, Syracuse, Broome County) on a consistent basis.I didn't particularly like it because of the cliques. I'm not going to sit here and lie and say I was this awesome player....I was dominant on the local travel soccer scene, but I was a backup CM (occasionally outside M or sweeper) who didn't see a lot of playing time. The starters would have various cliques and sort of torment the rest of us because we weren't as good. I mean, I realize now that it was childish and stupid, but at the time, that really hurt me. Eventually I quit the team after three years, it just wasn't fun playing for them anymore.I still play, but due to that Buffalo Premier experience and a problem with my high school coach (despite the fact that I started at midfield for our JV team, the Varsity coach flat out told me that he cut me because I was too small and too injury prone to cut it at a Varsity level....not based on my skill at all), I never played on the top level past my junior year of high school. I still dominated the travel soccer ranks which included dominating my high school teammates and rivals. But it didn't matter. I now play club soccer at my university. It's fun, but it's not the same. I don't think I'd ever want to play at that high level anymore, it's just not for me. I love the game and I still play it all the time, but it's a purely recreational/club/intramural level now. Just a side note, many players who I played with now start for their college teams.Don't let your daughter turn out like this.
Kind of a sad story... especially the HS idiot of a coach who cut you.Which part of it do you not want his daughter to turn out like?

:( Fowler is the quintessential MLS signing of the mid 90's- a former decent name who hasn't done much for a while and won't do anything in the league. He's a guy who always seems to be hurt or out of favor with the coach... neither things leading me to think he'd try to make a genuine go of things in the US. I REALLY hope they stear clear of Fowler.
I meant he is huge in England. Plus he's still a more accomplished striker then 99% of what the MLS has to offer, even at present. I don't think he's leaving England, just posturing.

One of my club team-mates, who could never even make the youth state team, had an incredible college career (at Cal), went to Germany and ended up playing for Hamburg! Played around Europe a bit and then came back and played with the Revs for a few years at the beginning of MLS.

Mike Burns... I remember that guy. Part of the USMNT's humble origins at the WC, right? Hard worker who didn't do much but didn't do much harm, which counted for a lot back then.
Peter Woodring? He is the only guy I can think of that fit the description.Burns was not on either the 1990 team (assuming thats what you mean by origins). He was on the 1994(did not play) and 1998 team though and had a poor tournament.

He was one of the Revs initial allocations back in 1996 and played in MLS through the 2002 season. He is now the Director of Soccer for the Revs in the front office

http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/team/index...o&bio=31983

Andy

One of my club team-mates, who could never even make the youth state team, had an incredible college career (at Cal), went to Germany and ended up playing for Hamburg! Played around Europe a bit and then came back and played with the Revs for a few years at the beginning of MLS.

Mike Burns... I remember that guy. Part of the USMNT's humble origins at the WC, right? Hard worker who didn't do much but didn't do much harm, which counted for a lot back then.
Peter Woodring? He is the only guy I can think of that fit the description.Burns was not on either the 1990 team (assuming thats what you mean by origins). He was on the 1994(did not play) and 1998 team though and had a poor tournament.

He was one of the Revs initial allocations back in 1996 and played in MLS through the 2002 season. He is now the Director of Soccer for the Revs in the front office

http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/team/index...o&bio=31983

Andy
Woody IS the guy! nice one! I actually cried watching him play for the USMNT vs Brazil in a friendly doing something we trained on over and over again at the youth level.Burns... thought he was older. Guess I got used to watching him in qualifiers? When would I have seen him play for the USMNT? I feel like he was one of the guys I'd watch and think- I could do that- why on earth is he on the USMNT? Of course, that was most of the team- and of course, they were still all WAY better than I was.

Burns... thought he was older. Guess I got used to watching him in qualifiers? When would I have seen him play for the USMNT? I feel like he was one of the guys I'd watch and think- I could do that- why on earth is he on the USMNT? Of course, that was most of the team- and of course, they were still all WAY better than I was.
Burns earned 75 caps (many back in the day before MLS).His first came as part of a D group of players back in 1992. His last was in 1998.You would have seen him play only in the 1998 qualifiers as there were none for 1994.

I meant he is huge in England. Plus he's still a more accomplished striker then 99% of what the MLS has to offer, even at present. I don't think he's leaving England, just posturing.
I hear ya... I guess I just disagree with you about Fowler. He used to be a striker's striker- always there to poach a goal, make a goal happen. I don't remember him doing that recently- seems like he'll get a call up to the starting team on occasion, look ok as a sub for a couple games and then disappear again. Leads me to believe he's either injury prone, a head-case or done. I'd like to think there are better guys to use a spot on than him (although watching the Dynamo CONCACAF CL game last night, bleh... maybe I'm wrong).

Burns... thought he was older. Guess I got used to watching him in qualifiers? When would I have seen him play for the USMNT? I feel like he was one of the guys I'd watch and think- I could do that- why on earth is he on the USMNT? Of course, that was most of the team- and of course, they were still all WAY better than I was.
Burns earned 75 caps (many back in the day before MLS).His first came as part of a D group of players back in 1992. His last was in 1998.You would have seen him play only in the 1998 qualifiers as there were none for 1994.
Meh... no idea. I remember the name- and know I saw him play... no qualifiers for 94, but they played friendlies- wouldn't he have played in those?

CONCACAF CHAMPIONS' CUP

MLS Cup champs advance to play Pachuca

COLLEGE STATION - In the end, it wasn't dominance or a flashy play that gave the Dynamo their first — and so far most important — victory at the international level.

Instead it was teamwork, grit and simply being at the right place at the right time that propelled the Dynamo to the semifinals of CONCACAF's Champions' Cup.

If not, just ask Paul Dalglish and Kelly Gray, who managed to score from point-blank range off rebounds to lift the Dynamo to a 2-0 victory against Costa Rican side Puntarenas FC on Thursday night in the second and decisive leg of the home-and-home quarterfinal series before 4,286 at the Aggie Soccer Stadium on the campus of Texas A&M.

"We knew it was going to be difficult," Dynamo coach Dominic Kinnear said. "Our will was strong tonight."

In their first Champions' Cup, the Dynamo will next face Mexico's Pachuca, one of the tournament's toughest opponents, in a two-match series starting March 14 at Robertson Stadium. The away leg will be April 5 in Mexico.

The Dynamo join fellow MLS club D.C. United in the four-team field after the 2006 Supporters' Shield winners eliminated Guatemala's Olimpia earlier Thursday.

The Dynamo entered the match at a disadvantage following a 1-0 loss last week at Puntarenas, where the heat took its toll on a team far from optimal fitness. Playing in milder conditions, they attacked from the onset.

"We knew we had to come in and battle; we had to attack, play a little more risky," Gray said.

Dalglish gave his team a breather in the 26th minute, coming across a deflection off Puntarenas keeper Shane Orio inside the goalie box and pushing the ball in for the 1-0 advantage in the match and 1-1 in the series.

The goal came after nearly 15 minutes of constant pressure by the Dynamo, who, particularly in the first half, relied on winger Brian Mullan's speed and crossing ability to threaten Puntarenas.

It was Mullan who took off down the right flank and sent a tight cross that Brad Davis kicked from 5 yards before the deflection by Orio and score by Dalglish.

It was another chance encounter with a ball at point-blank range that would put the MLS champions ahead for good nearly 50 minutes later.

And it couldn't have come at a more crucial time. With the Dynamo beginning to tire up front, Kinnear substituted Alejandro Moreno with Brian Ching in the 70th minute.

The move proved key as Ching headed a cross off a corner kick by Davis that bounced off the near post and into the feet of Gray, who sealed the score in the 74th minute.

"We had just talked about the runs that we were going to make. Ching did all the hard work," said Gray. "I just happened to be at the right place at the right time and pushed it in."

Both teams had their moments in the evenly played match, with the Costa Ricans relying on the dribbling skills of Jorge Barboza, the speed of Mario Camacho and the dead-ball expertise of Kurt Bernard.

The Dynamo edged Puntarenas on shots 7-6, including a 6-4 advantage on shots on goal. The difference was the team's ability to finish off its chances.

"The team tried," Puntarenas midfielder Kurt Bernard said. "We had our chances but failed to convert; they had them and took advantage of them."

Meh... no idea. I remember the name- and know I saw him play... no qualifiers for 94, but they played friendlies- wouldn't he have played in those?
yes you likely saw him in a ton of friendlies, mostly at right back, sometimes in the midfield.

Final 2 teams of the U20 World Cup qualified, Mexico and Costa Rica. The draw for the groups is tomorrow in Toronto.

El Floppo said:
Any of you guys watch the Dynamo or United games yesterday? thoughts?
I was out so I missed both of them. I heard both games were pretty sloppy though.Good job to MLS though putting both teams through to the semis against two strong Mexican teams, especially when the MLS teams are so out of season.

El Floppo said:
I was out so I missed both of them. I heard both games were pretty sloppy though.Good job to MLS though putting both teams through to the semis against two strong Mexican teams, especially when the MLS teams are so out of season.
I caught the last 20 mins of the Dynamo game... yuck. Derosario has caught el suck big time- I've never seen such a good player look SO bad two games in a row. Hard to attribute it just to fitness too. And other than him, I don't know who else there would be to get things going for the Dynamo... oh yeah- Ching if he stays healthy.

El Floppo said:
I caught the last 20 mins of the Dynamo game... yuck. Derosario has caught el suck big time- I've never seen such a good player look SO bad two games in a row. Hard to attribute it just to fitness too. And other than him, I don't know who else there would be to get things going for the Dynamo... oh yeah- Ching if he stays healthy.
I watched the end of the DC game which was actually pretty entertaining, Gomez and Moreno are still good, and the beginning of the Dynamo game before I realized the UNC-Ga tech game was on...the Dynamo game was ugly from what I saw.

I watched the end of the DC game which was actually pretty entertaining, Gomez and Moreno are still good, and the beginning of the Dynamo game before I realized the UNC-Ga tech game was on...the Dynamo game was ugly from what I saw.
I've seen enough of United in two games to see that Gomez, Moreno and the new Brazilian cat make up a genuinely productive and entertaining side. If they can stay healthy and the defense can hold their shape, that team has a good shot at going places.Caught a couple of EPL games today with US flavor- Newcastle vs Borough, Man City vs Wigan.Gooch was an absolute monster- he and Bramble completely shut down Yakubu and Viduka, physically and tactically. Gooch barely had his name called, as he completely shut out his man (usually Viduka). Also had a nice touch-header back into the middle onto an on-running team-mate who was either hacked or flubbed it. Caught the opposition offsides numerous times and never lost his man or position- I was completely in awe.Beasley got the start and was dreadful... and I mean down-right horrible. Had no touch, no vision, no pace, no nothing. Lost almost every ball that came to him unless he passed off quickly (and ineffectually) and un/fortunately, he was involved on the ball a lot during the game. Had a late good shot on a rebound, but other than that should've been subbed out in the first half. Downright embarrassing.

Beasley got the start and was dreadful... and I mean down-right horrible. Had no touch, no vision, no pace, no nothing. Lost almost every ball that came to him unless he passed off quickly (and ineffectually) and un/fortunately, he was involved on the ball a lot during the game. Had a late good shot on a rebound, but other than that should've been subbed out in the first half. Downright embarrassing.
Saw the Man City game, and in Beasley's defense, the entire side was awful. But Beasley's been entirely ineffective all year long. Fulham has the good US players :thumbdown:

Users who are viewing this thread