What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (6 Viewers)

Are people in agreement with the following two statements?

1) no need to start another soccer thread as suggested in the first post. this current thread should suffice

2) no need to have it pinned as others are starting to unpin.

If so, I can pm Keith and just tell him to unpin this.

That is my understanding - in response to Europa spots: 5th, Capitol One winner or 6th, FA Cup Winner or Runner-up or 7th)

Last edited by a moderator:
UEFA Europa LeagueGenerally speaking there are three UEFA Europa League places given to English clubs who fulfil the following criteria: winning the FA Cup, winning the Capital One Cup and finishing fifth in the Barclays Premier League.

However, if the Capital One Cup winners finish in the top four, their UEFA Europa League place goes to the next-highest ranked team in the Barclays Premier League (nominally the sixth-placed team).

If the FA Cup winners finish in the top four, their UEFA Europa League place goes to the runners-up. However, if the FA Cup winners finish outside the top four, their UEFA Europa League place goes to the next-highest ranked team in the Barclays Premier League (nominally the seventh-placed team).
So, if I read the bolded accurately, if Blackburn wins the FA Cup, they wouldn't get Europa League, it would go to the 6th or 7th placed EPL team?

I think Europa is the kiss of death. Without the Champions League money it's tough to keep the depth required to play on all fronts at a high level. It inevitably leads to dropped points.

I think Europa is the kiss of death. Without the Champions League money it's tough to keep the depth required to play on all fronts at a high level. It inevitably leads to dropped points.
Until they added the CL entrance it was completely useless. I loved the year 'Arry just said screw it and played the youth.

It is definitely tough on the smaller teams. Swansea really struggled last year in the EPL after they had Europa games.

UEFA Europa LeagueGenerally speaking there are three UEFA Europa League places given to English clubs who fulfil the following criteria: winning the FA Cup, winning the Capital One Cup and finishing fifth in the Barclays Premier League.

However, if the Capital One Cup winners finish in the top four, their UEFA Europa League place goes to the next-highest ranked team in the Barclays Premier League (nominally the sixth-placed team).

If the FA Cup winners finish in the top four, their UEFA Europa League place goes to the runners-up. However, if the FA Cup winners finish outside the top four, their UEFA Europa League place goes to the next-highest ranked team in the Barclays Premier League (nominally the seventh-placed team).
So, if I read the bolded accurately, if Blackburn wins the FA Cup, they wouldn't get Europa League, it would go to the 6th or 7th placed EPL team?
No - I think that is a misprint. I am pretty sure the FA cup winner gets a berth in Europa - no matter their standing or level.

UEFA Europa League

Generally speaking there are three UEFA Europa League places given to English clubs who fulfil the following criteria: winning the FA Cup, winning the Capital One Cup and finishing fifth in the Barclays Premier League.

No - I think that is a misprint. I am pretty sure the FA cup winner gets a berth in Europa - no matter their standing or level.
This

Matic suspension reduced from 3 games to two - essentially a meaningless reduction. Still out for the Capital One Cup Final

Sinn Fein said:
Matic suspension reduced from 3 games to two - essentially a meaningless reduction. Still out for the Capital One Cup Final
It shouldn't have been reduced at all. He attacked a player. They both deserved red cards. Maybe because Barnes didn't get a red? Seems an odd justification.

Sinn Fein said:
It shouldn't have been reduced at all. He attacked a player. They both deserved red cards. Maybe because Barnes didn't get a red? Seems an odd justification.
I don't think the FA will provide a justification. For me not much more than typical handbags - a shove in the chest. It could be an entertaining game, obviously open for either team to win.

NewlyRetired said:
Are people in agreement with the following two statements?

1) no need to start another soccer thread as suggested in the first post. this current thread should suffice

2) no need to have it pinned as others are starting to unpin.

If so, I can pm Keith and just tell him to unpin this.
Does have it in pinned help the board speedwise? :)

-QG

Sinn Fein said:
That sends a good message to the rest of the league: next time you feel the need to retaliate, you may as well go all throwing fists as a the longest you will get banned is 3 games.

I am kinda hoping that Borussia Dortmund run away with the UCL while still tanking the Bundesliga.

Barca putting on a clinic now
No kidding. I don't watch much La Liga, due to availability on TV, but I definitely would enjoy it based on this.
They actually show 2-3 La Liga Games every week (including every Barca match) via many cable tv packages.

Barca are just decimating City here in the first half. Playing in Europe has become a mental hang up for City. They are so much better than this. You can hear the fans groan with each Barca attack forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing in Europe has become a mental hang up for City. They are so much better than this. You can hear the fans groan with each Barca attack forward.
I think it's the absence of Yaya more than anything. They just look really disjointed without him, and Barcelona's in total control of midfield.

Playing in Europe has become a mental hang up for City. They are so much better than this. You can hear the fans groan with each Barca attack forward.
I think it's the absence of Yaya more than anything. They just look really disjointed without him, and Barcelona's in total control of midfield.
No reason to have Dzeko in over Fernandinho today either....

I think City's tactics are playing right into Barca's hands. Barca is pressing high and getting their full backs forward with impunity. And City doesn't have the quality wide to punish them. Nobody's getting wide on the right and only Clichy is getting wide on the left (and Barca will let Clichy butcher crosses all game). I know he's out of favor, but maybe get Navas in there or something. Somebody to give Alba something to think of.

Correct. Writing was on the wall as soon as the starting XI's were announced. Very bold to play an attack minded lineup today

Dzeko's physical presence would be valuable except that, as Ramsay said, they have no wide threat to get crosses in for him.

No kidding. I don't watch much La Liga, due to availability on TV, but I definitely would enjoy it based on this.
They actually show 2-3 La Liga Games every week (including every Barca match) via many cable tv packages.

Barca are just decimating City here in the first half. Playing in Europe has become a mental hang up for City. They are so much better than this. You can hear the fans groan with each Barca attack forward.
yeah, I know, I just don't have those channels...I am actually considering throwing out Comcast and going u-verse. Anyone here with experience from both, from a EPL perspective primarily, but also soccer in general.

Manuel - Great idea to take out your dangerous playmaker in exchange for your defensive mid. Must protect the lead!

yeah, I know, I just don't have those channels...I am actually considering throwing out Comcast and going u-verse. Anyone here with experience from both, from a EPL perspective primarily, but also soccer in general.
Uverse guy here. They have more soccer than you are able to watch in a week. Fox Sports (multiple Champions League games on now), BEIN (La Liga, Serie A), NBCNH (EPL) GOL (Bundesliga) and so much more.

Uverse guy here. They have more soccer than you are able to watch in a week. Fox Sports (multiple Champions League games on now), BEIN (La Liga, Serie A), NBCNH (EPL) GOL (Bundesliga) and so much more.
Do they have EPL on demand via NBC Sports too? (showing All epl games)

<3 Messi on the right, btw.

Barca subs in Mathieu for Rakitic. Not really a fan of this, the best way for Barca to salt away a lead is to keep possession.

Im not sure. I'll bet you NR can answer that.

I don't have uverse but looking at the schedule I think they do have EPL Extra time.

http://uverse.com/uverse/barclays

I don't have uverse but looking at the schedule I think they do have EPL Extra time.

http://uverse.com/uverse/barclays
confirmed - I have the NBC app on my tablet and can watch games and highlights using my Uverse account info.

Users who are viewing this thread