What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

The only people less happy than Sinn Finn are the Apoel people.  
In truth, Spurs shouldn't consider themselves an underdog to a talented, but young Dortmund team.  Real is a big ask for anyone, but if Spurs are as good as we think they are, they should be competitive with any no title winning team from a top league with the possible exception of Barca (assuming Barca isn't about to implode).

In truth, Spurs shouldn't consider themselves an underdog to a talented, but young Dortmund team.  Real is a big ask for anyone, but if Spurs are as good as we think they are, they should be competitive with any no title winning team from a top league with the possible exception of Barca (assuming Barca isn't about to implode).
I ##### - but I agree.  Dortmund and Spurs should be on even footing - making 2nd up for grabs.  

Nice draw for United

couple of 2 hour flights to Benfica and Basel.  5 hours to Moscow but nothing to complain about.  Tough teams but better then the drawing the big boys

I would expect them to advance at the very least.

nice draw for liverpool

Group A: Benfica, Manchester United, FC Basel, CSKA Moscow.

Group B: Bayern Munich, Paris Saint-Germain, Anderlecht, Celtic.

Group C: Chelsea, Atletico Madrid, Roma, FK Qarabag.

Group D: Juventus, Barcelona, Olympiakos, Sporting CP.

Group E: Spartak Moscow, Sevilla, Liverpool, NK Maribor.

Group F: Shakhtar Donetsk, Manchester City, Napoli, Feyenoord.

Group G: Monaco, FC Porto, Besiktas, RB Leipzig.

Group H: Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Tottenham, APOEL Nicosia.

Most Difficult Group - H

Most Balanced Group - G

Most Intriguing Match - Chelsea v Atletico (if Costa moves - he may murder a Chelsea player on the pitch)

Easiest Group - A  (god I hope I don't jinx us but that's about as good as it could get save the trip to Moscow which it seems like United get a lot)

A: United, Benfica

B: Bayern, PSG

C: Chelsea, Atletico

D: Barca, Juventus

E: Sevilla, Liverpool

F: City, Napoli

G: Monaco, Porto

H: Madrid, Totts

Even with a couple of tough groups it still seems like the top 2 is pretty much set except for group C and group H

Said to be €120mm plus a potential €30mm in add-ons.  What a 1 year return for Dortmund.
To get that amount for a player who does not even want to come to practice for your club has to be a great feeling for their front office.  

And as was mentioned earlier, he was far from their only good player, they are still loaded and now have a huge cash injection to spend during the winter to plug what ever hole inevitably will show up in the team by that time.

Roma has a shot of coming out of that group.  Chelsea's depth is concerning right now, so squad rotation will be hard for the CL.  Not sure Atletico will maintain last year's level either.  That will be a fun one to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
A: United, Benfica

B: Bayern, PSG

C: Chelsea, Atletico

D: Barca, Juventus

E: Sevilla, Liverpool

F: City, Napoli

G: Monaco, Porto

H: Madrid, Totts

Even with a couple of tough groups it still seems like the top 2 is pretty much set except for group C and group H
I agree with all of this.  Roma vs. Chelsea will be interested in Group C (I think Atletico takes the group).  Other than Group H, I'd be shocked by any other results. 

Scheduling will be important for Spurs - Dele is suspended for the first 3 matches - so I hope Dortmund is home first, away second.  Spurs beat Dortmund at home, and draw on the road - its on to the knockout stages.

If there's any group that might surprise, I think it's Group F.

Shakhtar Donetsk and Feyenoord could realistically come out of that group.

Leipzig is going to rasen their sport balls all over group G
Leipzig v Monaco = speed

Yeah, if PL wants to talk the talk, Spurs can't be shuckin' the underdog role.

Roma has a shot of coming out of that group.  Chelsea's depth is concerning right now, so squad rotation will be hard for the CL.  Not sure Atletico will maintain last year's level either.  That will be a fun one to watch.
Although in truth a Conte-Simeone game is probably not great for the neutrals, other than the tactics nerds.

Approximate measure of each team's luck in draw -- the cumulative chance that one of the OTHER three teams in each team's group wins the CL:

United 1.09%

Liverpool 1.37%

Monaco 2.15%

City 2.36%

Leipzig 2.38%

Porto 2.68%

Besiktas 2.68%

Real 4.15%

Sevilla 4.26%

Spartak 5.23%

Maribor 5.37%

Chelsea 5.39%

Atletico 5.86%

Barca 6.52%

Benfica 8.22%

Napoli 8.29%

CSKA 8.49%

Basel 8.70%

Roma 9.37%

Shaktar 9.74%

Feyenoord 9.94%

Karabakh 10.24%

Bayern 11.25%

PSG 11.93%

Juventus 11.95%

Lisbon 17.91%

Olympiakos 18.05%

Tottenham 18.79%

Dortmund 19.23%

Apoel 20.99%

Celtic 22.68%

Anderlecht 22.74%

Monaco might be a stripped whale carcass of a team by the time the group stage starts.  Mbappe and Fabinho to PSG may be done (Lucas Moura coming the other way).  Lemar still on a lot of radars.

Approximate measure of each team's luck in draw -- the cumulative chance that one of the OTHER three teams in each team's group wins the CL:

United 1.09%

Liverpool 1.37%

Monaco 2.15%

City 2.36%

Leipzig 2.38%

Porto 2.68%

Besiktas 2.68%

Real 4.15%

Sevilla 4.26%

Spartak 5.23%

Maribor 5.37%

Chelsea 5.39%

Atletico 5.86%

Barca 6.52%

Benfica 8.22%

Napoli 8.29%

CSKA 8.49%

Basel 8.70%

Roma 9.37%

Shaktar 9.74%

Feyenoord 9.94%

Karabakh 10.24%

Bayern 11.25%

PSG 11.93%

Juventus 11.95%

Lisbon 17.91%

Olympiakos 18.05%

Tottenham 18.79%

Dortmund 19.23%

Apoel 20.99%

Celtic 22.68%

Anderlecht 22.74%

Once the first two pots were out, i was only hoping Liverpool would be drawn before Spores 

To get that amount for a player who does not even want to come to practice for your club has to be a great feeling for their front office.  

And as was mentioned earlier, he was far from their only good player, they are still loaded and now have a huge cash injection to spend during the winter to plug what ever hole inevitably will show up in the team by that time.
I guess going on strike works. 

Honestly have not watched much of Dortmund this past year, so Dembele is pretty unknown to me.

I will say that I think there should be a way to make these groups and take into account how each team finished in their respective domestic league.  Chelsea and Tottenham SHOULD have easier draws than City, United, or Liverpool.  The top teams from each league shouldn't be going up against the top teams from other leagues in the group stage.  It should be a permanent number/group/seeding thing that only changes when coefficients change the ranking of each league, I think.

I would think the true measure would be to show the cumulative chance that one of the other three teams would reach the knockout rounds. 
It would def be better, but probably not wildly different (since you have to get out of group to win and the two will correlate) but I didn't have easy access to data where I was.

What's with all the Dortmund disrespect?

Is this what @Kafka always feels like?
I'm not seeing that - I hope Pulisic tears it up and despite being really exciting team to watch they are seen as a selling club and their defense needs some work.  The games in this group will be must-watch.

I expect them to but had forgotten about Dele suspension.  That may makes things tough but I would still favor them for 2nd over Dortmund
Well considering they don't have a home field advantage (Wembley :bye:) I think they are at a big disadvantage.

FWIW Ladbrokes has Tot at 6:5 to advance and Dortmund at 1:2

Users who are viewing this thread