What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Isn't that 100%*

*I'm really bad at math and statistics
Actually just the inverse percentage that the selected team would make the knockout rounds.  So not really a proxy of anything.

But I think we all understand that there's very few teams with non-trivial chances to win the tournament.  It might be as low as four (I'm not sure I'd take the field against Real, Barca, PSG, and Bayern).  That's going to mostly drive the cumulative percentage of other teams to win the tournament.  And of course, if you're one of those teams, the remaining 3 teams in your group are going to have a low chance to win the tournament.  Which means it's not really rating the toughness of the group if it shows Real with a relatively easy draw and Tottenham with a hard draw.  They're in the same group. 

You often have a group with two heavyweights and two whipping posts.  Because the other heavyweight might have a greater than 5% chance to win the tournament, this would seem to correlate to a "hard group."  But for those teams, it's just a matter of playing for the draws and spanking the minnows.  They are, IMO, the most boring groups you can get. 

Most true "groups of death", IMO, have one team that is pretty much assured of going through and then three teams that are pick em's for the second spot. 

Well considering they don't have a home field advantage (Wembley :bye:) I think they are at a big disadvantage.

FWIW Ladbrokes has Tot at 6:5 to advance and Dortmund at 1:2
I'm not just blowing smoke up Sinn's butt - Tottenham is a stronger, more disciplined side IMO.  I think they match up well with Dortmund.

What's with all the Dortmund disrespect?

Is this what @Kafka always feels like?
I'm not sure it's disrespect to note that it's been a few seasons since Dortmund won the BL or made the CL final.  They finished below Leipzig and only two points above Hoffenheim last year.  It's not as if they had a clearly superior GD to those two teams either .  They were  +32 and RBL and Hoff were +27.  Bayern were +67!  And Bayern were 18 points ahead of them in the table.  So they were light years below Bayern.

Tottenham were 7 points below Chelsea but a league best +60 in GD.  I think we can all agree that La Liga is the strongest league, by far, at this time.  But the Prem doesn't strike me as significantly easier than the Bundesliga

Always up for an avatar bet.  Just got to decide whether you'll be sporting Gervinho or Lord Bendtner.
Avatar bet it is...I think this sets up nicely for one of the Manchester clubs to win.  At least, thats what my thoughts on the field boiled down to...

PSG and Bayern in the same group makes for a difficult knockout stage match for one of them, and I think Barça is going to have an off-year.  PSG probably have the easiest route - since they can ignore the league all season, and Madrid will obviously take an upset to knock out - but I am banking on United or City to focus on CL next spring...

Avatar bet it is...I think this sets up nicely for one of the Manchester clubs to win.  At least, thats what my thoughts on the field boiled down to...

PSG and Bayern in the same group makes for a difficult knockout stage match for one of them, and I think Barça is going to have an off-year.  PSG probably have the easiest route - since they can ignore the league all season, and Madrid will obviously take an upset to knock out - but I am banking on United or City to focus on CL next spring...
Real finished second to Dortmund in their group last year.  They still won the competition.  I just don't see top heavy groups as a problem.  For PSG and Bayern, it's stomp Anderlecht and Celtic and then play four glorified friendlies against each other. 

Real finished second to Dortmund in their group last year.  They still won the competition.  I just don't see top heavy groups as a problem.  For PSG and Bayern, it's stomp Anderlecht and Celtic and then play four glorified friendlies against each other. 
Yeah - its not an issue getting through - but finishing 2nd means you get a group winner in the first round - so slightly harder match than the group winner will get.

At that point, they are all difficult matches...

Push comes to shove - I think United will win the league, and Man City will win Champions League - and then Pep and Jose can argue about who had the better season.

Yeah - its not an issue getting through - but finishing 2nd means you get a group winner in the first round - so slightly harder match than the group winner will get.

At that point, they are all difficult matches...
To win the tournament, you're still going to have to presumably beat those teams in a knockout tie.  And that matchup would presumably increase your chances of a relatively easy QF draw.

Apropos to both @Eephus's comment and Sinn and my friendly wager, here is a chart from 538. Awesomely, if you add up Real, Bayern, Barca, and PSG's chances to win the tourney versus the field, it's 50/50. 
I'm disappointed that the word count on the methodology article is only about 1000 words, not 12000.  Maybe they could add a section on the best burrito in Donetsk

I'm disappointed that the word count on the methodology article is only about 1000 words, not 12000.  Maybe they could add a section on the best burrito in Donetsk
I don't think I've ever read an actual 538 article.  I check out the graphs occasionally.  And I cringe every time I see one of their "data analysis approach to non-analytic topic" articles promoted on Twitter.  I think the current on en vogue is about The Bachelor. 

United travel to Moscow for a Wed 9/27/17 match. Its in between Sat 9/23 away at Southampton and Sat 9/30 at home vs Palace.  Neither EPL game will be a pushover but at least neither vs the other top 6.  

Looks like a busy Sept for United though.  Will Zlatan be ready?

International Break then
Sat 9/9 @ Stoke
Tue 9/12 vs Basel
Sunday 9/17 vs Everton
Tue 9/19 vs Burton Albion (league Cup)
Sat 9/23 @ Southampton
Wed 9/27 @ Moscow
Sat 9/30 vs Palace
International Break

Then off to ANFIELD sat 10/14

United travel to Moscow for a Wed 9/27/17 match. Its in between Sat 9/23 away at Southampton and Sat 9/30 at home vs Palace.  Neither EPL game will be a pushover but at least neither vs the other top 6.  

International Break then
Sat 9/9 @ Stoke
Tue 9/12 vs Basel
Sunday 9/17 vs Everton
Sat 9/23 @ Southampton
Wed 9/27 @ Moscow
Sat 9/30 vs Palace
International Break

Burton Albion is a classic trap game

International Break then
Sat 9/9 @ Stoke
Tue 9/12 vs Basel
Sunday 9/17 vs Everton
Sat 9/23 @ Southampton
Wed 9/27 @ Moscow
Sat 9/30 vs Palace
International Break

I thought the zlat wasn't ready until Jan? 

Users who are viewing this thread