What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (7 Viewers)

With regards to choosing an EPL side, I just don't think I can watch a sport for any length of time without having rooting interests. I ended up choosing Swansea as my #1 team mostly because the first Premier League game I saw was them beating United last August. The whole David vs. Goliath thing appeals to me, and also I thought Garry Monk exuded the type of look and attitude that I guess I wanted from a European soccer manager.

There are other things about Swansea that appealed to me - the fact that they seem to be a team on the upswing after many hard years, and the fact the fans really do have a voice in how the team is run. Also I have basically zero connection to England itself so the idea of rooting for a Welsh side in an English league appeals to the contrarian in me. I guess I just like the way Swansea do things, although I have voiced here how I've already found it frustrating to root for a "selling" club. Losing Bony stung hard and still does a bit, despite the team setting a record for points in a PL campaign.

The other side for me is that while I am not naive about the role money plays in pro sports now, I just have an instinctual aversion to franchises that start out on third base money wise and act like they hit a triple. The fact that some oil baron can swoop in and buy titles makes my stomach turn just a bit, as I've seen what a negative impact the likes of Dan Snyder and other new-money rich boys have had on the NFL. And honestly, I stopped being a Yankees fan because I got tired of feeling more like a customer than a fan. But yeah, I know that means I'm probably never going to root for a team that wins a championship.

That said, as a still-new soccer fan I'm hedging my bets somewhat in terms of who I root for. So while I pull for Swansea above all others, I'm not rooting for them at the complete exclusion of other squads. I would say that I pull for Liverpool out of the Big Clubs, and I'm very much hoping to see Norwich City get promoted this year as I feel drawn to them as well. I think I'm at a point in my life where I don't care about all these unwritten rules of sports fandom, such as that you can only pick one team and you're locked in for life. That's how I ended up shackled to a flaming dumpster fire of a team like the Oakland Raiders, who I finally ditched last year.
:rant: I hate you, I hope you and Jonjo end up in a flaming dumpster together

With regards to choosing an EPL side, I just don't think I can watch a sport for any length of time without having rooting interests. I ended up choosing Swansea as my #1 team mostly because the first Premier League game I saw was them beating United last August. The whole David vs. Goliath thing appeals to me, and also I thought Garry Monk exuded the type of look and attitude that I guess I wanted from a European soccer manager.

There are other things about Swansea that appealed to me - the fact that they seem to be a team on the upswing after many hard years, and the fact the fans really do have a voice in how the team is run. Also I have basically zero connection to England itself so the idea of rooting for a Welsh side in an English league appeals to the contrarian in me. I guess I just like the way Swansea do things, although I have voiced here how I've already found it frustrating to root for a "selling" club. Losing Bony stung hard and still does a bit, despite the team setting a record for points in a PL campaign.

The other side for me is that while I am not naive about the role money plays in pro sports now, I just have an instinctual aversion to franchises that start out on third base money wise and act like they hit a triple. The fact that some oil baron can swoop in and buy titles makes my stomach turn just a bit, as I've seen what a negative impact the likes of Dan Snyder and other new-money rich boys have had on the NFL. And honestly, I stopped being a Yankees fan because I got tired of feeling more like a customer than a fan. But yeah, I know that means I'm probably never going to root for a team that wins a championship.

That said, as a still-new soccer fan I'm hedging my bets somewhat in terms of who I root for. So while I pull for Swansea above all others, I'm not rooting for them at the complete exclusion of other squads. I would say that I pull for Liverpool out of the Big Clubs, and I'm very much hoping to see Norwich City get promoted this year as I feel drawn to them as well. I think I'm at a point in my life where I don't care about all these unwritten rules of sports fandom, such as that you can only pick one team and you're locked in for life. That's how I ended up shackled to a flaming dumpster fire of a team like the Oakland Raiders, who I finally ditched last year.
Was enjoying this read until this part. :boxing:

15 U.S. markets with the highest combined full-season NBC/NBCSN rating for Premier League:
1. Washington, DC
2. New York
3. Columbus, OH
4. Denver
5. Philadelphia
6. Miami
7. Boston
8. West Palm Beach
9. Knoxville
10. Indianapolis
11. Providence
12. Dallas
13. Seattle
14. Albuquerque
15. Sacramento

15 U.S. markets with the highest combined full-season NBC/NBCSN rating for Premier League:

1. Washington, DC

2. New York

3. Columbus, OH

4. Denver

5. Philadelphia

6. Miami

7. Boston

8. West Palm Beach

9. Knoxville

10. Indianapolis

11. Providence

12. Dallas

13. Seattle

14. Albuquerque

15. Sacramento
I only know a few people that like soccer. I'm obviously hanging out in the wrong places.

1. Washington, DC

2. New York

3. Columbus, OH

4. Denver

5. Philadelphia

6. Miami

7. Boston

8. West Palm Beach

9. Knoxville

10. Indianapolis

11. Providence

12. Dallas

13. Seattle

14. Albuquerque

15. Sacramento
I only know a few people that like soccer. I'm obviously hanging out in the wrong places.
Either that, or you have a lot of TVs...

1. Washington, DC

2. New York

3. Columbus, OH

4. Denver

5. Philadelphia

6. Miami

7. Boston

8. West Palm Beach

9. Knoxville

10. Indianapolis

11. Providence

12. Dallas

13. Seattle

14. Albuquerque

15. Sacramento
Columbus, Denver, Seattle, Albuquerque, and Sacramento stand out to me.

1. Washington, DC

2. New York

3. Columbus, OH

4. Denver

5. Philadelphia

6. Miami

7. Boston

8. West Palm Beach9. Knoxville

10. Indianapolis

11. Providence

12. Dallas

13. Seattle

14. Albuquerque

15. Sacramento
You probably know this but don't confuse ratings with number of viewers. They are two different things.

One city can have a higher rating than another city but still have fewer viewers. For example neither Chicago or LA show up on this list but they both likely have many more viewers for EPL than Knoxville does.

The rating is a percentage of households tuning in for the given DMA. The Knoxville market has ~515k tv households and is the 61st largest tv market in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Washington, DC

2. New York

3. Columbus, OH

4. Denver

5. Philadelphia

6. Miami

7. Boston

8. West Palm Beach

9. Knoxville

10. Indianapolis

11. Providence

12. Dallas

13. Seattle

14. Albuquerque

15. Sacramento
Columbus, Denver, Seattle, Albuquerque, and Sacramento stand out to me.
I see some MLS affiliations in there but overall that's a pretty eclectic bunch.

I idly calculated one day that if my Baltimore suburban county contained an average number of PL viewers that on Saturday mornings about 1600 of my neighbors would be watching the matches along with me. But damfino any of 'em or even where to look for 'em. That's why I have to come in here and talk to people like Christo.

and there it is, @DiMarzio correct as always.

Carlo and Madrid have torn up their contract w the help of Ernesto Bronzetti (Milan's agent).

Now, after 2 days of meetings, Milan will try to put the nail in the coffin to bring him home w a guaranteed project and heavy investment (finally)

Autumn Wind said:
I'm very much hoping to see Norwich City get promoted this year as I feel drawn to them as well.
If you feel drawn to Norwich, it's because you are an evil person with no soul. :tractorboys:

Rafa Benitez? Why? I know he's been successful at Napoli, but still. I wish him the worst of luck at Real.
they wanted him years ago (09, I believe) and now they want him again...

As for a bombshell... Marca and some other sources saying Milan offering Carlo a 5yr deal (10m gross/year) and 150m for the transfer market this summer.

(the rumor is silvio is either ready to get serious again, or a huge portion of the team has been sold to China)

will be very interesting

Rafa Benitez? Why? I know he's been successful at Napoli, but still. I wish him the worst of luck at Real.
He really hasn't been successful at Napoli, though...given the talent at his disposal. In my highly esteemed & professional opinion, he's just a big, fat(plus-sized), four-eyed crybaby. Don't see him being successful at Real Madrid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Berlusconi: "I'm not in for bringing coaches back, we already did it before and it didn't work."
Berlusconi: "But I'm bound with Carletto by a strong personal friendship."

Berlusconi: "If Real frees Ancelotti, he will come back to us"

-----------------------------------

REPORT: "Rafa Benitez has reached an agreement in principle to coach Real Madrid next season."

Real Zaragoza is tentatively clinging to the 6th & last playoff spot in Segundo division...would love to see them back in La Liga...their 22 yr old Spanish striker Borja has been a revelation ( on loan from Atletico) but won't stay if they fail promotion.

1. Washington, DC

2. New York

3. Columbus, OH

4. Denver

5. Philadelphia

6. Miami

7. Boston

8. West Palm Beach

9. Knoxville

10. Indianapolis

11. Providence

12. Dallas

13. Seattle

14. Albuquerque

15. Sacramento
Either that, or you have a lot of TVs...
I got Providence up to 11 myself.

so I made it to Parc Des Princes to watch PSG vs Reims. :thumbup:

the stadium wasn't that impressive to look at it

lots of staff (that speak English) outside the stadium to help answer any questions

last game of the year and they were celebrating winning the Ligue 1 title.

So the game starts at 8 so I figure to get there by 6 so I can hit the bars and soak in the atmosphere. Wow what a disappointment :(

the bars were 1/4 full at most , great because I never had to wait in line for a beer but not what I was expecting or hoping for .

the only interesting thing from the bar was that some drink beer with a strawberry grenadine added to it :loco:

so now in the stadium

the pitch looks amazing but the inside was blah and they don't let you walk through the concourse . you stay in your section area

so I go to concession to order a beer and they don't serve me :rant: and no one there speaks English to explain why.

I step back to look around and watch and see no one else is drinking :confused: so I was thinking that they were expaling to me that they don't serve beer . doesn't make sense but ok. 10 min later I see someone with a beer and another 5 later the 1 that didn't pour me a beer serves a beer to another but still looking around and less then 5% are drinking

anyway I finally find some that serves me a beer :)

now gametime

no zlatan because they clinched the league title last week and play in the French fa cup next week :angry: he was the reason I wanted to see PSG

the seats are small , uncomfortable and packed in

the game as a neutral was decent to watch . lots of chances on both sides

the game ended 3-2 PSG

now time to celebrate the league title ...nope have to set up :sleep: (just music and videos of the season during that break)

45/60 min after the game ended finally the fireworks which were pretty decent

then the speeches and 1 by 1 player introduction

way to long and drawn out for me

don't think ill go back unless i absolutely have to see zlatan

Users who are viewing this thread