What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (12 Viewers)

It's appropriate to give him a high five and congratulate him for supporting a club that actually wins titles. 

This year in the Erste Divisie, Jong PSV finished 3rd, but is not eligible for the Nacompetitie because reserve teams can't play in the Ere Divisie.

The club I glommed onto when I lived in The Netherlands, Go Ahead Eagles, are well familiar with the relegation/promotion process.  They made the playoffs again this season (5th) and got a bye into the second round; beat Den Bosch over 2 legs (a mild upset) and are in the 3rd round against Waalwijk.  Waalwijk upset Excelsior (one of the Ere Divisie teams) in the last round.
For those interested, massive gut punch for the Eagles in the promotion/relegation playoffs on Tuesday. After securing a scoreless draw away, GAE lost 4-5 on two stoppage time goals at the Eagle's Nest on Tuesday.  The Eagles went ahead 4-3 in the 89th. Waalwijk then scored in the 95th and 98th (pen) to advance 4-5 on agg.  Its a great run for Waalwijk, having finished 8th in the Eerste Divisie to win promotion.  Sparta Rotterdam, who finished 2nd in the Eerste Divisie, was also promoted through the playoffs while Twente won promotion by winning the league.

Some news for Newcastle 

Hmmm!! So the latest news today from the Middle East is that The Bin Zayed Group have put a timescale of around a month to get the Takeover completed, they may send a delegation over to Newcastle to try and hurry things up.

They have also indicated the transfer kitty would be around £150 million and would be looking to challenge for the Champions League places within the next 3-5 years.

Im starting to think this is really happening why go to all this trouble it can't be a PR stunt can it

There were also 5-6 sporty fancy SUV'/BMW type cars outside the Tynne airport today 

Maldini has given some things he wants to see at Milan in order to stay there 

Conditions Paolo Maldini reportedly wants in order to say yes to technical director role at Milan.

- Specific budget to operate on market
- Broad decision-making autonomy
- Salary increase
- Alessandro Costacurta as team manager/Angelo Carbone in charge of youth sector

Answer expected today/this weekend.

[La Gazzetta dello Sport] + [Corriere della Sera]

Maldini has given some things he wants to see at Milan in order to stay there 

Conditions Paolo Maldini reportedly wants in order to say yes to technical director role at Milan.

- Specific budget to operate on market
- Broad decision-making autonomy
- Salary increase
- Alessandro Costacurta as team manager/Angelo Carbone in charge of youth sector

- Assurances the team won't continue to suck balls and be just awful in perpetuity

Answer expected today/this weekend.

[La Gazzetta dello Sport] + [Corriere della Sera]

One of the teams in the African Champions League final left the field after having an equalizing goal disallowed.   The ref initially refused Wydad Casablanca's appeal to check VAR.  Then it turned out the VAR isn't working.  The delay in play has been going on for over an hour.

I've got a new song that everyone can sing! 

To the tune of Farmer in the Dell:

You'll never walk alone. 

You'll never walk alone. 

You'll always be a %^&*@!, but you'll never walk alone!
Does anyone who's not a Liverpool fan even like the club? It seems even most people in the city are Everton fans anyway 

Ok so I missed the Final yesterday. Honestly had no horse in this race but would've been nice to see Pocchetino (SP) win and didn't. I had the match on at work but go so busy I really had very little time to see it. I saw the final score. However how was the match overall because I heard it was a garbage final shouldn't waste my time watching it. One of the reasons I didn't take off for it this year was I have zero interest in either club and honestly thought it'd be a garbage final 

Does anyone who's not a Liverpool fan even like the club? It seems even most people in the city are Everton fans anyway 
I've always heard that the only actual polls on this were ~70/30 for Liverpool inside the city itself.  No idea if that's right.

Liverpool has the most fans in the UK, but is also the most hated team in the UK.  Which is kind of hard to believe given how long it's been since they were good.  It's like the Patriots went 30 years without winning another SB, but were still the most hated team in the US.

I've always heard that the only actual polls on this were ~70/30 for Liverpool inside the city itself.  No idea if that's right.

Liverpool has the most fans in the UK, but is also the most hated team in the UK.  Which is kind of hard to believe given how long it's been since they were good.  It's like the Patriots went 30 years without winning another SB, but were still the most hated team in the US.
Domestically, LFC have not won much in a long time. 4 Champions League finals in 15 years is pretty good though, even if it doesn’t sound all that impressive. No team has played more finals in that time period, although Barca and Real have also both played 4.  United fans will argue the point, but I think it’s a pretty easy argument that Liverpool are the most successful club in English football history. I can’t really speak to the love/hate aspect of it though, it seems too subjective to draw any meaningful conclusions. 

Domestically, LFC have not won much in a long time. 4 Champions League finals in 15 years is pretty good though, even if it doesn’t sound all that impressive. No team has played more finals in that time period, although Barca and Real have also both played 4.  United fans will argue the point, but I think it’s a pretty easy argument that Liverpool are the most successful club in English football history. I can’t really speak to the love/hate aspect of it though, it seems too subjective to draw any meaningful conclusions. 
I'm definitely guilty of over-weighting the league title since I've never seen them win one, but...

It's +3 Champions League titles for Liverpool vs +2 League Titles and +5 FA Cups for United.  Seems too close to call for me.  (I'm leaving out UEFA League and League Cup wins.  They'd shade things to Liverpool, but both are afterthoughts to a big team when they're running well.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Milner putting in a 12KM shift has got nothing on his stamina at the front of the bus leading the cheers, banging on the side of it, and waving his scarf.  Dude's a machine.

Think Dallas Cowboys.

I've got a new song that everyone can sing! 

To the tune of Farmer in the Dell:

You'll never walk alone. 

You'll never walk alone. 

You'll always be a %^&*@!, but you'll never walk alone!
Kings of fond of the new "Let's talk about six baby!" To salt n peppas let's talk about sex. 

S

I

X

Zlatan is amazing.  He scores a goal like that at age 37 and he's probably had what? 20 or 30 better goals than that over the course of his career.

Zlatan is amazing.  He scores a goal like that at age 37 and he's probably had what? 20 or 30 better goals than that over the course of his career.
Easily. And I absolutely think he flicked it behind himself like that intending to setup the bike. But that’s not even his best goal in MLS, IMO. The roundhouse kick from last season was better. 

Swiss Ramble did his $$ summary from the Champions League:  https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1135446833705209856

Suffice it to say LFC made an incredible amount of money, and Spurs did pretty well themselves.

I wonder what Gillete and Hicks are thinking these days ...

So #LFC have earned an incredible £251m TV income from the Premier League & Europe – the first time a club has received more than a quarter of a billion pounds from this revenue stream. In fact, 4 English clubs are above £200m, including #THFC £235m, #MCFC £233m & #MUFC £225m.
Also noted the strong financial incentive to play champions league over Europa League.

In 2018/19 English CL clubs earned well over twice as much as EL clubs - even though #CFC & #AFC reached the final:

#LFC £98m

#THFC £90m

#MUFC £83m

#MCFC £82m

#CFC £39m

#AFC £32m

One other interesting Champions League point I thought of this morning.  Danny Sturridge now has two CL medals, while being a healthy NDP on the reserves in both finals games.  I can't offhand think of any other players who have won the CL for two different English clubs, perhaps putting Studgy in a league of his own.

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
Outside the NFC East, no one hates the Cowboys any more, do they?  I'd have thought they were just irrelevant at this point.
Most people in other cities when they see a Cowgirls fan will #### on them but it's mostly just the NFC East teams who hate them because of how the fans act like they are still in their glory days and are in denial. At the draft in Philly when I went 2 yrs ago the one thing Redskins, Giants and Eagles fans agreed on was "Dallas Sucks" chant that you heard through most of the broadcasts. It wasn't just Philly fans but Was and NYG fans too. 

Eephus said:
Zlatan is King of the world. Never doubt him. 

Some interesting news on SMS of Lazio 

Paolo Scaroni and Claudio Lotito, the presidents of AC Milan and Lazio respectively, reportedly have an agreement in place over Sergej Milinkovic-Savic.

Lotito told Scaroni that If Milan backed off on trying to sign Inzaghi that Milan had first priority signing of SMS if he were to leave the club. SMS according to reports this past summer and winter had already talked to and agreed to contract terms with Milan. however given no CL next year and the BS FFP not sure how Milan can get this. Possible Loan plus buy move formula Milan has done with others could be something that happens as it's the only way I see that going through and Milan hope to get into CL position by the end of next year

Also Union extend Montero's loan another 6 months 

Philadelphia Union midfielder Jamiro Monteiro’s loan from FC Metz has been extended through the end of the season, but his future with the club beyond 2019 remains uncertain.

FC Metz announced the loan extension this morning.

It will keep the 25-year-old midfielder in Chester through the end of the year. Beyond that, the Union hold a club option to make the move permanent but it will require a big payout somewhere in the neighborhood of the $3 million Metz paid in a transfer fee to acquire him from Heracles Almelo last summer. That’s if the Cape Verde international wants to stay. 

If this all sounds a little too familiar, it’s because a similar situation happened with 2018 MLS assist leader Bořek Dočkal, who returned to the Czech Republic after his loan from the Chinese Super League expired at the end of last season. Dočkal ended up being transferred back to Sparta Prague for about $1.4 million U.S. just two years after HN Jianye paid around $9.5 million to acquire him. 

Monteiro converted a first half penalty in Sunday’s 3-2 win over Minnesota United for his third goal of the season in 12 appearances and 10 starts. His two-way play has helped solidify the Union midfield and contributed to them becoming a top team in the league despite missing Mexican international Marco Fabián for half of their games so far.

CletiusMaximus said:
One other interesting Champions League point I thought of this morning.  Danny Sturridge now has two CL medals, while being a healthy NDP on the reserves in both finals games.  I can't offhand think of any other players who have won the CL for two different English clubs, perhaps putting Studgy in a league of his own.
There's one other guy that has done it. As a hint: he holds the record for biggest gap between titles too. I'll put it in spoilers in case anyone wants to guess. 

Dinsy Ejotuz said:

70/30 in favor of Liverpool in the city is pretty accurate. I could probably write an essay or two on the historical background and basis of the hatred/dislike, but winning stuff is only a small part of it. Maybe I'll have some time this summer to expand. 

The oddest thing for me is how this is now propagated on the Internet, by kids who have no idea about what has happened, or why they feel the way they do. Most of the time they are not even based in the UK.

Sure, the winning thing plays a small part, but this is nothing like the Cowboys or the Patriots.

Austin FC taking season ticket deposits for 2021 starting next week. Happy to throw my money at them, but it seems awfully early.

MLS Buzz‏ @MLS_Buzz

A Catalonia-based reporter considered Tier 1 for Barcelona news has reported in the last hour that Luis Suarez has an offer from Inter Miami to be their first DP. He would start in 2020, his contract would be for 4 years, and has not responded to the offer yet.

The reporter, Xavi Campos, was ranked by Barcelona fans as being "tier 1". Specifically saying "he's very rarely wrong, rarely reports."

Campos also mentioned that there is another player on Barcelona's squad that Beckham is targeting, but did not give a name.

Last edited by a moderator:
MLS Buzz‏ @MLS_Buzz

A Catalonia-based reporter considered Tier 1 for Barcelona news has reported in the last hour that Luis Suarez has an offer from Inter Miami to be their first DP. He would start in 2020, his contract would be for 4 years, and has not responded to the offer yet.

The reporter, Xavi Campos, was ranked by Barcelona fans as being "tier 1". Specifically saying "he's very rarely wrong, rarely reports."

Campos also mentioned that there is another player on Barcelona's squad that Beckham is targeting, but did not give a name.
It's somebody old.

Users who are viewing this thread