What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (4 Viewers)

I know about the Juve incident Was that the Hillsboro (SP) disaster or am I thinking of something different? This was when they let too many fans at one of the ends and the Stands collapsed, netting fell over etc. Security was blamed as well as the Liverpool supporters section I believe. After that rules were changed on amount of fans allowed over on the ends I believe 
hillsborough was pool vs nottingham forrest in fa cup. 

eta: you should watch the espn 30/30 on it to clear up your history/media induced misconceptions.

Last edited by a moderator:
The disputed African Champions League tie will now be replayed but only the second leg and this time in a neutral venue over 6000 miles away from either team's home.  And oh yeah, it'll have to wait until after AFCON 2019 which concludes in mid-July.

Esperance Tunis already lifted the trophy and got the medals after the suspended match last week.

CAF can always be counted on to make the wrong decision :bag:

I was mistaken about the African Champions League.  They're apparently going to throw out the result from the first leg as well and replay the final as a single match.

A bunch of players on both sides will be out of contract by the time the final kicks off, if it ever does.

I was mistaken about the African Champions League.  They're apparently going to throw out the result from the first leg as well and replay the final as a single match.

A bunch of players on both sides will be out of contract by the time the final kicks off, if it ever does.
### #### it, now Concacaf has to do something equally stupid so that they stay close in the race for worst run Confederation....

NewlyRetired said:
### #### it, now Concacaf has to do something equally stupid so that they stay close in the race for worst run Confederation....
CAF president Ahmad Ahmad was taken into custody in Paris today amidst allegations that he breached the federation's contract with Puma in favor of a new supplier that lined his pockets.

Your move CONCACAF

Should probably start a new thread for the transfer season because there are way too few soccer threads.

Hazard to Real Madrid is pricey, but I really do love what Real Madrid has done this offseason.  Being that Barcelona has already grabbed de Jong and seem the clubhouse favorites to grab de Light, Real Madrid really needed to make a splash and adding Jovic, Hazard, and Rodrygo to bolster the attack with Junior - that's going to be solid.  They just now need to unload James and Bale quick- they still seem to be in the market to add even more players.

Speaking of adding players, Man United have make a stunning deal, surely the kind of move to turn the tables of their misfortune toward the end of last year - singing Daniel James :mellow:   Missing CL play has pretty much killed any chance they had to get a guy like Sancho (a move I wasn't necessarily on board with anyway), but I mean htf are they going to lure players there without massively overpaying.  I guess they can take the Liverpool method of using a feeder club (southampton) but I mean, Swansea?  oof, how times have changed.

Speaking of adding players, Man United have make a stunning deal, surely the kind of move to turn the tables of their misfortune toward the end of last year - singing Daniel James :mellow:   Missing CL play has pretty much killed any chance they had to get a guy like Sancho (a move I wasn't necessarily on board with anyway), but I mean htf are they going to lure players there without massively overpaying.  I guess they can take the Liverpool method of using a feeder club (southampton) but I mean, Swansea?  oof, how times have changed.
I saw a quote on twitter a few days ago, comparing ManUnited to China as a destination.  You will be well-paid, but its probably not a great career move, seems like a sell-out, and you won't be competing with the top clubs for the top cups.

RIP Justin Edinburgh 

Former Spurs player, had just managed Leyton Orient to promotion this season.  Attended CL final with a number of other former Spurs.- and was hospitalized shortly upon returning after a cardiac arrest.  Passed away today.

If anyone has a chance to record the U20 S.Korea Senegal game - do.  The most entertaining game since the Ajax Tottenham game.  Completely nutty.  Record a healthy amount of time.

I saw a quote on twitter a few days ago, comparing ManUnited to China as a destination.  You will be well-paid, but its probably not a great career move, seems like a sell-out, and you won't be competing with the top clubs for the top cups.
And it's a #### place to live. 

Not a fan of VAR making judgement calls. Goal/no goal and offsides yes. Any kind of ball completely over line call , yes. Assessing fouls and or cards after the fact, no.
I agree in terms of game flow.

That said...I'd love to see it used to punish divers/embellishers. Would hopefully nip that out pdq

Today in African football

DZ Football‏ @DZFootball_en

BREAKING: Algeria send home Haris Belkebla after he exposed his bum live on a Fortnite stream. Belmadi is expected to replace him with another central midfielder; Saphir Taider the favourite.

congrats @bentley sounds like you are off to a great start

Chris Bils‏ @ChrisBils

BREAKING: #AustinFC announces it has set an MLS record for the largest number of season ticket membership deposits secured in a single day

The last few years they have signed galacticos and failed.  Now they seem to be going back to the SAF world of signing up and coming players at reasonable prices.  If he fits in and grows, they sell him to Real Madrid for 80mill in 5 years.  Everyone wins.  If he fails, they are out a few bucks and his modest fee balances out the cost of Fred.  Will he make up the difference between them and City? No.  But hopefully its a start. And hes probably already a better winger then Lingard.

But they do have more work to do.  And if they have to overpay for a few quality players, I'm ok with that IF they are the right players and guys who will play for the name on the front and not the one on the back.

The last few years they have signed galacticos and failed.  Now they seem to be going back to the SAF world of signing up and coming players at reasonable prices.  If he fits in and grows, they sell him to Real Madrid for 80mill in 5 years.  Everyone wins.  If he fails, they are out a few bucks and his modest fee balances out the cost of Fred.  Will he make up the difference between them and City? No.  But hopefully its a start. And hes probably already a better winger then Lingard.

But they do have more work to do.  And if they have to overpay for a few quality players, I'm ok with that IF they are the right players and guys who will play for the name on the front and not the one on the back.
look... if you pronounce it hahm-ez, CL is in your future.

EPL fixtures are out. 

Spurs have an interesting start - finally open at home, but first 4 matches include Man City and Arsenal away. 

For you Atlanta fans, Barco looks fantastic today for Argentina in the U20 WC.  

I know he has been good this year in MLS.  He looks like a completely different player from last year.
Just catching up on the thread - I think it took him time to settle in.  He’s so young and he had really high expectations and honestly, despite the lack of goals he had some good moments last year and the advanced stats showed he created a lot of chances.  He’s been great so far this year, glad he’s continuing that.  

US Open Cup match between Charleston Battery and Atlanta United was a wash on Tuesday night.  Days of rain in Charleston left  the field unplayable.
The field did not look great, but the players were warming up on it Tuesday night.  About 30 minutes before kickoff they scrubbed the match.

The announcement came out late yesterday that the match was rescheduled to tonight (Thursday) in Kennesaw before a closed stadium.  What a bummer.

The stands were filling for what looked to be a good gate for the Battery.  They had played the first two rounds away and we were all excited to get a home match AND it was against the defending champs.  Now, a third away match, and the smaller club has to travel  on short notice. :kicksrock:

Battery's statement

US Open Cup match between Charleston Battery and Atlanta United was a wash on Tuesday night.  Days of rain in Charleston left  the field unplayable.
The field did not look great, but the players were warming up on it Tuesday night.  About 30 minutes before kickoff they scrubbed the match.

The announcement came out late yesterday that the match was rescheduled to tonight (Thursday) in Kennesaw before a closed stadium.  What a bummer.

The stands were filling for what looked to be a good gate for the Battery.  They had played the first two rounds away and we were all excited to get a home match AND it was against the defending champs.  Now, a third away match, and the smaller club has to travel  on short notice. :kicksrock:

Battery's statement
That sucks - I’d rather see the fans get rewarded with a match.  KSU’s field is nice but playing it without fans is crazy to me.

Users who are viewing this thread