What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

That sucks - I’d rather see the fans get rewarded with a match.  KSU’s field is nice but playing it without fans is crazy to me.
I read that it was being played that way because there wasn't enough time to staff the facility for the event.  Lousy situation any way you look at it.
I feel for any Atlanta fans that made the drive to Charleston just for the match.

If this has been discussed in this thread already, apologies but I'll take a link.

Going to Scotland/Ireland in September. I'll be in Glasgow on the 20th and 21st. Manchester City is 2.5 hours by train and it just so happens that they host Brighton on the 21st. I'd like to go and want to see if anybody has advice on the best way to buy tickets, how far in advance I'm able to buy so I can plan around it, etc.

If this has been discussed in this thread already, apologies but I'll take a link.

Going to Scotland/Ireland in September. I'll be in Glasgow on the 20th and 21st. Manchester City is 2.5 hours by train and it just so happens that they host Brighton on the 21st. I'd like to go and want to see if anybody has advice on the best way to buy tickets, how far in advance I'm able to buy so I can plan around it, etc.
you could also get lucky with an old firm matchup (the release SPL schedule on the 21st).

congrats @bentley sounds like you are off to a great start

Chris Bils‏ @ChrisBils

BREAKING: #AustinFC announces it has set an MLS record for the largest number of season ticket membership deposits secured in a single day
Thanks! 30K deposits already. Been a #### ton of work getting here. It was obviously a huge week for us selling SG memberships. Shipping out a lot of grackle scarves in the next couple weeks.

Looking forward to talking about it on the next edition of the Austin Anthem Podcast, which you can find on Apple podcasts, Google Play, Podbean, Stitcher and wherever else you find your podcasts.

Can’t wait to actually watch some games in......20 months or so. 

Thanks! 30K deposits already. Been a #### ton of work getting here. It was obviously a huge week for us selling SG memberships. Shipping out a lot of grackle scarves in the next couple weeks.

Looking forward to talking about it on the next edition of the Austin Anthem Podcast, which you can find on Apple podcasts, Google Play, Podbean, Stitcher and wherever else you find your podcasts.

Can’t wait to actually watch some games in......20 months or so. 
I assume with each deposit, a priority number was given, since I don't think you can actually hold 30k seats right now?  I figure people must get their deposit back if they get shut out but I am unsure.

This type of news creates a snowball effect.  Both Seattle and Atlanta used large pre sales to boost their visibility in the community to great effect and Austin appears to be ahead of both of them.

From your talks to people in the know, is anyone reconsidering the size of the stadium that will be built?

I assume with each deposit, a priority number was given, since I don't think you can actually hold 30k seats right now?  I figure people must get their deposit back if they get shut out but I am unsure.

This type of news creates a snowball effect.  Both Seattle and Atlanta used large pre sales to boost their visibility in the community to great effect and Austin appears to be ahead of both of them.

From your talks to people in the know, is anyone reconsidering the size of the stadium that will be built?

The deposit guaranteed a spot in line. People could request up to 8. Atlanta used the same system and converted 31K in seat deposits to 22K actual season tickets in year one. In Atlanta, the average person requested 2.3 tickets.

20Kish seats in the stadium. I think it’s being built with the infrastructure for some expansion, but they’ve been clear about sticking with the original capacity in year one, no matter what. At least, that was the story before yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
US Open Cup match between Charleston Battery and Atlanta United was a wash on Tuesday night.  

The announcement came out late yesterday that the match was rescheduled to tonight (Thursday) in Kennesaw before a closed stadium.  What a bummer.
The Battery scored in the 20th minute, and Atlanta scored in the 79th to equalize.  The goal scorer for Atlanta was Romario Williams ... who scored 25 times for the Battery in 2016 and 2017 while on loan.

Atlanta then scored twice in Extra Time (110th and 120th) to take it 3-1.

This is both sad and interesting.

https://www.kctv5.com/news/man-still-impacted-after-getting-hit-in-face-by-ball/article_811bcb1c-8e3e-11e9-826c-5336860d4793.html

TL:DR Long time fan of KC, been going to games for many years.  Was sitting in 4th row of KC NY game when Kaku from NY got frustrated with a call and rocketed a ball into the stands in frustration.  Ball hit the fan square in the head, knocking him out.  Long term ramifications is that he has not been able to return to work and is in therapy for motion and cognitive stuff a few times a week.

He has a lawyer but has not yet decided whether to sue but has asked NY and MLS for a meeting.   Kaku was ejected from game and then suspended and fined by MLS for his actions.

This is both sad and interesting.

https://www.kctv5.com/news/man-still-impacted-after-getting-hit-in-face-by-ball/article_811bcb1c-8e3e-11e9-826c-5336860d4793.html

TL:DR Long time fan of KC, been going to games for many years.  Was sitting in 4th row of KC NY game when Kaku from NY got frustrated with a call and rocketed a ball into the stands in frustration.  Ball hit the fan square in the head, knocking him out.  Long term ramifications is that he has not been able to return to work and is in therapy for motion and cognitive stuff a few times a week.

He has a lawyer but has not yet decided whether to sue but has asked NY and MLS for a meeting.   Kaku was ejected from game and then suspended and fined by MLS for his actions.
I remember seeing this happen live on TV.  Not surprised there are lingering effects from that shot.  Kaku was way out of line and should be doing whatever he can to help the guy.

The last few years they have signed galacticos and failed.  Now they seem to be going back to the SAF world of signing up and coming players at reasonable prices.  If he fits in and grows, they sell him to Real Madrid for 80mill in 5 years.  Everyone wins.  If he fails, they are out a few bucks and his modest fee balances out the cost of Fred.  Will he make up the difference between them and City? No.  But hopefully its a start. And hes probably already a better winger then Lingard.

But they do have more work to do.  And if they have to overpay for a few quality players, I'm ok with that IF they are the right players and guys who will play for the name on the front and not the one on the back.
All they need to do is promote five long-term starters from their academy at the same time again.  WA-LA!

It's confirmed Chelsea's manager Maurizio Sarri is indeed leaving England for Juventus FC.  Perhaps he didn't like the abuse he received from a vocal contingent of the club's supporters at home games.  More likely I think, he's an Italian football manager and can't resist the Old Lady's allure, a dream come true for him.  In any event, arrivederci Maurizio, buona fortuna.  Gianfranco Zola seems destined for Turin as well.  Sad day for Chelsea imo.  Frank Lampard seems the likely replacement, which for me is most likely a mistake.

From the Feva for the Flava vid fella:

Si‏ @PhantomGoal

Me during sex: hurt me

Her: Oh Gerrard slipped, Demba Ba onto it. Ba against Mignolet here for Chelsea... And Ba scores!

Me: w h a t

Her: Kroos sends it forward here to Benzema, he's got the option to Marcel-OH, and Karius! It's gone in! Oh my word!

Me: s t o p

This just seems odd:

Police investigating the death of Emiliano Sala have arrested a 64-year-old man from North Yorkshire on suspicion of manslaughter by an unlawful act.

I wonder if this is just a weird charge related to something post-crash - as opposed to something that led to the crash.  :shrug:   I don't know where the plane was based - but maybe he was a mechanic who fudged some repairs?

Lazio's Player of the Year awards... -

2017/18: Lucas Leiva (71% of votes) -

2018/19:  Lucas Leiva (94% of votes) He's won the award despite missing 15 games for Lazio this season, due to Liverpool fans voting for him in their online poll!

Sinn Fein said:
This just seems odd:

Police investigating the death of Emiliano Sala have arrested a 64-year-old man from North Yorkshire on suspicion of manslaughter by an unlawful act.

I wonder if this is just a weird charge related to something post-crash - as opposed to something that led to the crash.  :shrug:   I don't know where the plane was based - but maybe he was a mechanic who fudged some repairs?
I would guess fraud related to the operations and/or safety of the craft.

Union Acquire Andrew Wooten. Union put up on Facebook Men in Blazers introducing him. They need another striker with Serginho coming back from Injury and only Fara and Accam. Corey Burke is possible gone for the year with VISA issues and is home in Jamaica till it's taken care of. The VISA is a non Union Fudge up 

New at @ProSoccerUSAcom: Andrew Wooten is finalizing a deal with the Philadelphia Union, according to multiple sources. https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/andrew-wooten-finalizing-deal-with-philadelphia-union/ … #DOOP

We (Austin Anthem) threw a WWC Watch Party on Sunday that attracted 300 or so people. Went on our local Fox affiliate yesterday morning to talk about our upcoming watch parties. Fox Sports national called me a couple hours later to say that they saw the segment and want to send a camera to our party on Monday. You may get a little screaming Bentley in the background if you watch the game Monday.

You will get a kick out of this rumor @El Floppo

===========

Pablo Maurer‏Verified account @MLSist

I'm aware, rumor swirling around out there as we speak that Rocco is interested in buying RBNY

Once again, soccer never ceases to make one shake their heads.

The IFAB has issued an emergency addendum to the rules, right in the middle of the WWC, to remove the penalty of a yellow card for keepers that encroach during a pk.  

I guessed some one realized that if and when a knock out round game goes to PK's, the refs could be forced to start tossing keepers left and right.

The yellow cards already given out will not be rescinded.  

Once again, soccer never ceases to make one shake their heads.

The IFAB has issued an emergency addendum to the rules, right in the middle of the WWC, to remove the penalty of a yellow card for keepers that encroach during a pk.  

I guessed some one realized that if and when a knock out round game goes to PK's, the refs could be forced to start tossing keepers left and right.

The yellow cards already given out will not be rescinded.  
That is not exactly true.

The new "rule" only applies to penalties taken to decide a match - not regular penalty kicks.  The letter specifically mentions that it would be unfair to include the new rule for normal penalties - given that they have already been handed out in the competition.

http://theifab.com/news/temporary-dispensation-related-to-cautions-for-goalkeeper-encroachment-during-kicks-from-the-penalty-mark-at-the-fifa-womens-world-cup-2019

You will get a kick out of this rumor @El Floppo

===========

Pablo Maurer‏Verified account @MLSist

I'm aware, rumor swirling around out there as we speak that Rocco is interested in buying RBNY
whoa. 

from what I understood, he really didn't like the single entity structure, which is why he pushed for Cosmos to be NASL.

... but I don't remember if he made a bid for MLS with the Cosmos and got rejected- so the above was an after the fact rationale than a reason.

either way... they've obviously had a great academy in place and are producing some solid to great pros and it's hard to argue with their usual finish in the league (outside of winning the damned thing). but the senior team is stagnating a bit, IMO, due to lack of star players (don't care if they're name-brand stars or just high-quality pros- the team needs some difference makers) and not filling the DP spots with them. Rocco might bring that. would also keep a foot in europe with fiorentina... I think he's official there?

OK, 9/21, I could see either:

Celtic vs. Kilmarnock at Celtic Park

or

Newcastle United vs. Brighton at St. James Park

For a soccer noob who has recently fallen in love with the sport and won't have these opportunities often, what would be the best overall experience? Celtic would be more convenient but I would definitely make the trip to Newcastle if we're talking a huge difference in the experience. 

or

For a soccer noob who has recently fallen in love with the sport and won't have these opportunities often, what would be the best overall experience? Celtic would be more convenient but I would definitely make the trip to Newcastle if we're talking a huge difference in the experience. 
With Mike Ashley finally gone, a starting 11 with some fun players to watch (Almiron! Perez!) and a large and vocal crowd smelling fresh fish in the form of a floundering Brighton (we assume), I don't think you can go wrong by going to St. James.

or

Never been to either, but I would go with St. James' here.  Premier league match at a classic stadium is tough to pass up.  Celtic would be cool and it looks like Kilmarnock is a good squad (finished 3rd)...but I just don't care much about the Scottish League.

or

St James for me.  I admit I don't know about the scottish league and the atmosphere at the games, but despite not being a Newcastle Fan, its one of the stadiums I would want to see a game at.

or

If you have no allegiances to any of the clubs playing, both have advantages and disadvantages.  Celtic Park is in the heart of Glasgow and will offer a ton of things to do other than see the game both before and after (Glasgow is kind of a hole, but plenty of places to drink and sites to see).  Ticket prices will most certainly be a lot cheaper.  Although not a rivalry game, Celtic games are always an event so there will surely be a crowd and good atmosphere.  

St James Park is pretty iconic and Toon Army will be in full effect.  It is still early in the season so there will be a good mood in the crowd.  I'm not familiar with that area at all, so I'm not sure what there is to do around town so to speak, but it will most certainly be a pricier affair.  If budget/travel time comes into play at all, I think the game in Scotland is a good choice.  But all in all, the Newcastle game will be a bit grander.  Just my :2cents:

or

Do you follow US Soccer at all as a fan?  If so DeAndre Yedlin plays for Newcastle, so if you wear any American colors, you can kind of fit in.  There is usually an American flag or three at St. James for Yedlin.

Do you follow US Soccer at all as a fan?  If so DeAndre Yedlin plays for Newcastle, so if you wear any American colors, you can kind of fit in.  There is usually an American flag or three at St. James for Yedlin.
Just started to learn everyone, so this is great! Hell, I started following Jamaica because there's two Phoenix Rising players on the team 

Users who are viewing this thread