What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (4 Viewers)

HBO showing a Diego maradona doc...is it new? Anybody see it?
Debuted yesterday. From the guy who made Senna and one about Amy Winehouse. Apparently there’s a ton of footage that nobody has seen before from Napoli. His agent had two guys following him around the whole time with cameras. Pretty thorough look about this rise and fall, with the fall being the most interesting part, of course. MiB had a special podcast this week where they interviewed the director, which is a nice companion piece.

Didn’t really know the details of his story before, so I’ve enjoyed it. Downside being that there’s no narrator. Docs without narrators throw me off for some reason. And none of it is in English, obviously.

I made the mistake of starting it last night...couldn't stop- It was excellent. and unlike Bentley, to me the playing and rise is more interesting than the fall. I liked the no-narrator approach with the filmmakers using editing and a handful of voice overed interviews (mostly with Diego himself, but with sports news people and others close to him to give some depth) to tell the story.

Mostly, just amazing to see and learn more about the man. Got to see him play live once- like zidane, that changed my view of him, even though the view was already pretty high. But I had no idea about anything else...especially the juggling on his heel- how the hell have I missed that!?

I made the mistake of starting it last night...couldn't stop- It was excellent. and unlike Bentley, to me the playing and rise is more interesting than the fall. I liked the no-narrator approach with the filmmakers using editing and a handful of voice overed interviews (mostly with Diego himself, but with sports news people and others close to him to give some depth) to tell the story.

Mostly, just amazing to see and learn more about the man. Got to see him play live once- like zidane, that changed my view of him, even though the view was already pretty high. But I had no idea about anything else...especially the juggling on his heel- how the hell have I missed that!?
I also started last night but had to tap out and go to bed 20 minutes in. I’ll finish it tonight. I’m also much less interested in the downfall. They skipped past the Boca and Barca years pretty quickly, but I suppose the Napoli and World Cup ‘86 and ‘90 are the highlights.  I started watching soccer in 1986 while  living in Germany and Diego is still my favorite player ever and the best I’ve seen, with Ronaldo Fenomeno a close second. 

I did like the part about his upbringing. As someone who became a soccer fan after he retired, I found his personal story to be way more interesting than the soccer stuff. For example, I really enjoyed the characterization of Napoli and the awful stuff they faced with other fans, but don’t find 80s game footage and table results particularly compelling. Approached it from the perspective of learning the life of an interesting and tragic figure. All the way to seeing him waddle around a 5 a side pickup game today.

Last edited by a moderator:
An example of how VAR works on a red card in rugby.  This was a huge moment in a huge game earlier today.  The referee stays on the field and is watching on the large screen in the stadium, speaking with the VAR ref in the booth, and the entire discussion, including discussion with the player, is mic'd and broadcast for television viewers.  You can hear the referee going through all the elements of the ruling with the VAR ref.

This one is not a close call.  It gets really interesting when the VAR ref in the booth and the referee on the field are dissecting a close call live on television. Even on a simple penalty, they will go through it very methodically then explain it to the captains.  The respect the players have for the referee is in huge contrast to soccer.

Rounding back to Spurs issues:

Interesting note from Alasdair Gold - 

"This is one of the occasions where we have to see a club sticking by the manager rather than the players."

Gold is the Spurs beat writer for Football London, and is widely regarded as simply being a mouthpiece for the Club.  So, this seems to be a signal that Levy will back Poch - for now at least - and try to clear some of the players in January.  

Its going to be a long, painful year....

WORST UNITED TEAM I CAN EVER REMEMBER.

Maybe a relegation battle will wake the board up and get them to hire a director of football, get Woodward out of the players/recruitment side, and maybe get invested in players and winning again.

WORST UNITED TEAM I CAN EVER REMEMBER.

Maybe a relegation battle will wake the board up and get them to hire a director of football, get Woodward out of the players/recruitment side, and maybe get invested in players and winning again.
No way they're relegation fodder. Midtable sure, but won't be near the bottom three.

No way they're relegation fodder. Midtable sure, but won't be near the bottom three.
Fortunes have changed since ManUnited opened its season with a 4-0 thrashing of Chelsea, and they'll change again, and again after that.  That's why I don't look at the table until Thanksgiving (or was it Boxing Day?)  Its not that these results don't count,  because they obviously do, but its hard to draw any meaningful conclusions from these first few weeks. United and Spurs are down now, but they will most likely both be fighting for top 4 in May. 

I think the most telling part of the game yesterday was a key set piece in a dangerous position late in the game and United have two players standing over the ball.

Peirera and Fred

:X
Pereria is better then Young or Rashford standing over the ball.  At least Pereira may hit something closer then 20 rows up like the others do.

Fortunes have changed since ManUnited opened its season with a 4-0 thrashing of Chelsea, and they'll change again, and again after that.  That's why I don't look at the table until Thanksgiving (or was it Boxing Day?)  Its not that these results don't count,  because they obviously do, but its hard to draw any meaningful conclusions from these first few weeks. United and Spurs are down now, but they will most likely both be fighting for top 4 in May. 
Your overall sentiment is correct although I am not sure either will be fighting for top 4.  A win would have put them in 6th, a loss put them in 12th. So yes there is a lot of congestion from 2 to 19 so everything will change as the fixture list piles up with Euro, CL, FA Cup, etc.  

SAF always used to say as long as they were in striking distance at Christmas they knew they had a shot.  United is 5 points out of 4th and 2 points above 18th.  And Pool is 15 points ahead and has 8 on 2nd. 

Pogba, Martial, AWB coming back will help.  But they are still missing too many pieces and depth to challenge anything.  And one of the biggest is no leader.  They all talk about the class of 92, but what they don't talk about is is the Keanes, Stams, Cantonas, Bruces that kept everyone focused and going the right direction.  Someone you would run through the wall for possibly because you were scared not too.  No backbone or leadership on this team.

I had this exact same thought.  Rock bottom.
As I said above, I was actually relieved it wasn't Young or Rashford.  And I knew it wouldn't be Fred.  Even the announcers were throwing shade saying he can't take it since it would mean playing the ball forward.  I was ok with Pereria taking the kick.  Overall he needs to not play but of those on the field he had the best chance of doing something good with it.

Ole is in a poor spot.  The board only partially backed him and he is trying to clean up the mess created by 3 previous managers and Woodward.  He has done well getting some of the dead weight out.  And unlike Jose, he isn't creating a toxic environment.  However, he is not doing himself any favors by constantly starting or playing players that are not performing.  Pereira, Lingard, Rashford, Fred are the main issues.  The first three are sent out no matter how bad their form is.  And your other choice is Fred or Matic (both Jose buys).  He keepd talking about the youth and if you are good enough you are old enough.... Time to put up or shut up.  The "veterans" arent doing the job.  Start playing the youth.  Lampard has been forced too and they are starting to get it going. What is Ole waiting for?  

And then theres the Pogba issue.  When he wants to he can be world class and take over a game.  He doesn't always play like it or want to though.  United are better with him now, but may not be as good as they could be if they replaced him.  But if they sell him they need to replace him.  Along with the 4-5 other players they need. So we are back to the board backing a manager.  

Schweinsteiger announces retirement.  From his FB post:

Dear Fans, the time has now come, and I will be finishing my active career at the end of this season. I would like to thank both, you and my teams FC Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Chicago Fire and Germany Football Team - Die Mannschaft. You made this unbelievable time possible for me! And of course, I would also like to thank my wife Ana Ivanovic and my family for their support. Saying goodbye as an active player makes me feel a little nostalgic, but I am also looking forward to the exciting challenges that await me soon. I will remain faithful to football. Many, many thanks for the time we spent together, I will always have a place for you in my heart! Yours, Basti.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it - even OptaJoe getting in on the action:

OptaJoe @OptaJoe · 1h

0 - Despite spending four hours & 22 minutes together on the pitch for England in total, Jamie Vardy and Wayne Rooney never created a single goalscoring chance for one another. Awkward.

I think the saddest part - it feels like Levy is playing a game of Chicken with United - waiting to see if they will sack Solskjaer and then pay Spurs to hire Poch.
I was all for giving Ole some time and it’s obvious he doesn’t have the horses but I’d jump at the chance to get Pooch and then get rid of Woodward 

:oldunsure:

i guess the Rooney’s and Vardy’s will not be going on holiday together.  

ETA: https://twitter.com/ColeenRoo/status/1181864136155828224

https://twitter.com/RebekahVardy/status/1181871914081509376
Absolutely my two favorite WAGs of all time.  It has been such a pleasure watching them grow and mature over the years, desperately trying, against all odds and reality, to be Posh Spice.  Rebekah's reference at the end to being "heavily pregnant" is just perfect. I love her so much.

Absolutely my two favorite WAGs of all time.  It has been such a pleasure watching them grow and mature over the years, desperately trying, against all odds and reality, to be Posh Spice.  Rebekah's reference at the end to being "heavily pregnant" is just perfect. I love her so much.
:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread