What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (8 Viewers)

I wonder if there will be any repercussions to Spain and France voting for Blatter when scheduling friendlies etc.. leading up to WC2018? Probably not. But, with them both voting for Blatter, I doubt there'll be any UEFA led exodus away from Fifa

I wonder if there will be any repercussions to Spain and France voting for Blatter when scheduling friendlies etc.. leading up to WC2018? Probably not. But, with them both voting for Blatter, I doubt there'll be any UEFA led exodus away from Fifa
Didn't the day before the vote Platini declare that UEFA would vote as a block for Ali? While that was unlikely, you would think if he made that statement, his own country would have voted for Ali.

Do you have a link showing which country voted for which candidate?

Didn't the day before the vote Platini declare that UEFA would vote as a block for Ali? While that was unlikely, you would think if he made that statement, his own country would have voted for Ali.

Do you have a link showing which country voted for which candidate?
I haven't found a link to which country voted for whom... but I had read earlier about Spain and then saw this tweet about France going Blatter this morning - https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/604568308151558146

I can't wait for Blatter to get arrested or UEFA to leave. ####er is so arrogant it's not even funny.
I love how yesterday it was all "we will fix FIFA" and less than 24 hours later he is blaming everyone but FiFA basically saying the arrests were all a ruse to affect the election. So disgusting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blatters most interesting comment today was

"UEFA can't live with out us and we can't live with out UEFA"

Financially UEFA seems secure to me because of the Euro Championships and Champions League. Their biggest worry would be non Euro players being banished from the WC should UEFA secede. But the WC itself would hardly be a carrot for many players if the Euro countries are not in.

But any tiny hope of UEFA seceding seems dashed with Blends news that Spain and France both voted for Blatter.

DFB Pokal final today in Berlin

Borussia Dortmund v Wolfsburg

This is Dortmund's 7th trip to the final ('63, '65, '89, '08, '12, '14), and they've won it three times ('65, '89, '12).

This will be only Wolfsburg's 2nd final, they were runners up in '95.

In Promotion/Relegation news:

BL1/BL2 - Hamburg and Karlsruher 1:1 on Thursday. 2nd leg on Monday

BL2/BL3 - 1860 München and Holstein Kiel 0:0 on Friday. 2nd leg on Tuesday

Congrats to Arsenal - back to back FA CUP trophies is quite the accomplishment.

Good grief. What do you do?

btw... has Neymar ever made a goal on his own? I think about 80% of the goals I've seen from him are Messi or Suarez switching the play to an open net.

ETA: just saw the Messi goal. Wow.

btw... has Neymar ever made a goal on his own? I think about 80% of the goals I've seen from him are Messi or Suarez switching the play to an open net.
Yes, but Messi ad Suarez dragging the defense to the right has been a big part of the Barcelona tactics recently.

ETA: Great setup from Neymar right there.

Looks like the Boston contingent is meeting on Wednesday to decide Rodgers fate for the Liverpool coaching job. Obviously Liverpool fans everywhere want him out, and want Jurgen Klopp in.

You have to think that with Klopp season ending today, any potential negotiations can now begin in earnest.

Judging by what I've seen in this sport so far, 3 years is a long time to go without trophies of any kind. If you believe the owners, they want to win and win big. They have spent a lot and aren't getting the right results.

From what I can tell, Klopp would be a great hire, as he would inherit a team with plenty of money, and he's made his mark on a team that isn't really on the same playing field, and produced a ton of great talent along the way.

I was a huge Rodgers fan earlier this year, but in any sport it's easy to see when a manager has lost the club. I think 90% of Liverpool fans realize that he's lost the club, and now he's lost the fans. If he stays, he's gonna be on thin ice all year long, unless Liverpool explode out of the gate. Barring a big signing at forward, Sturridge's injury makes that seem really difficult.

A change seems like the smart move.

Klopp can't fight the fact that there are at least 4 other teams with better squads in their league. They can't spend big enough to overcome anyone but Arsenal, and Arsenal seems to have a death grip on a top 4 spot regardless of injuries or the in/out transfers in the off-season.

Liverpool are who we thought they were. An above average team that had a world class striker on it. Without that class up top, they are simply above average and not real contenders.

Klopp can't fight the fact that there are at least 4 other teams with better squads in their league. They can't spend big enough to overcome anyone but Arsenal, and Arsenal seems to have a death grip on a top 4 spot regardless of injuries or the in/out transfers in the off-season.

Liverpool are who we thought they were. An above average team that had a world class striker on it. Without that class up top, they are simply above average and not real contenders.
It's obvious that they aren't real contenders this year. I don't know who is arguing that. But it is possible to "build" in the Premier league. Liverpool has shown that they will spend money, it just hasn't necessarily been spent wisely.

Despite an absolutely horrid season, they were close to Arsenal, Man City and Man U going into the final month and a half before the team just completely crapped the bed.

Get some better strikers in here, get a change in philosophy, and anything is possible.

If you are against Blatter and Qatar, you should be against Barça.

Next week we are all Juve and Pirlo fans.*

*except you Barça lubbers

Quality strikers that can score 20+ domestic goals per season don't grow on trees. And that's the player that Liverpool lost in Suárez. For that player, you either have to spend a ton on a proven one (and pool don't have the pull to do so if others are calling, and you know United will be calling), or develop one though the youth system, or buy an up and comer and hope his progress continues. The last option is the only one available, so I hope they have some great (or lucky) scouts.

Quality strikers that can score 20+ domestic goals per season don't grow on trees. And that's the player that Liverpool lost in Suárez. For that player, you either have to spend a ton on a proven one (and pool don't have the pull to do so if others are calling, and you know United will be calling), or develop one though the youth system, or buy an up and comer and hope his progress continues. The last option is the only one available, so I hope they have some great (or lucky) scouts.
Well, buying an up and comer is how Liverpool got both Suarez (some guys who dominate in Holland are Suarez, some are Bas Dost or Bony, some are Jozy Altidore, its a risk) and Sturridge.

Now, I think that Benteke is the wrong guy if that's really who Liverpool is after, but I don't think it would take all that much for them to find the right guy. If Alexis Sanchez had taken their higher bid, things might look a lot different. If I'm the Fenway Sports guys, my first call is to Carlos Bacca's agent. He strikes me as the poor man's Suarez. Not that fast. Not that physical. But always moving and offering tasty runs.

As a neutral, I don't care if the Barcelona board feasts on the blood of virgins (also if we're tarring Barcelona for being sponsored by Qatar we should mention that Azerbaijan, "The Land of Fire", isn't exactly a human rights paradise). This may or may not be the best team of the last 20 or 30 years (its up there with Pep's peak Barca and Jupp's Bayern), but its undoubtedly the most entertaining team I've ever seen.

As a neutral, I don't care if the Barcelona board feasts on the blood of virgins (also if we're tarring Barcelona for being sponsored by Qatar we should mention that Azerbaijan, "The Land of Fire", isn't exactly a human rights paradise). This may or may not be the best team of the last 20 or 30 years (its up there with Pep's peak Barca and Jupp's Bayern), but its undoubtedly the most entertaining team I've ever seen.
Love the direct play we're seeing from this squad...something that we only saw in Pep's first year with Henry, Eto'o, and Messi up there.

Juventus is still a tough side, should be a good game. I just can't wait to see Busquets and Iniesta going against Pirlo and Pogba in the midfield. Then a legend like Buffon trying to stop the MSN trident. Just not sure if Juve has quite enough in attack to win, but an early goal could change it all. :popcorn:

So allocations will be the same for 2018. And 2022 as well.

European countries will be allowed to bid for 2026 (or basically screw you USA).

Blatter being a maximum dche to UEFA.

In other words :coffee:

-QG

European countries will be allowed to bid for 2026 (or basically screw you USA).

-QG
That for sure Seppy would give CONCACAF's half slot to Oceania so I'll take the status quo there.

But I won't be planning to see a WC here anytime soon :sadbanana:

-QG
That for sure Seppy would give CONCACAF's half slot to Oceania so I'll take the status quo there.

But I won't be planning to see a WC here anytime soon :sadbanana:
Yeah, I am happy the qual spots stayed the same too.

I have a feeling 1 year from now when we add everythng up, the US will have been the biggest loser in this mess.

If you are against Blatter and Qatar, you should be against Barça.

Next week we are all Juve and Pirlo fans.*

*except you Barça lubbers
You are you still pay attention to anything? You are just in the way now.
They really laid down this year.
Which team are you talking about? Atletico? Agreed, they did not play well at the end of the season. Simply grinding out draws to preserve 3rd isn't pretty. It's going to be an interesting offseason. Let's see how many more players Chelsea will buy from Atleti. Oh, and scoob, call me when Azerbaijan has multiple thousand migrant worker deaths or it rigs a World Cup bidding process embroiling world football in the biggest scandal in its history.

With the online soccer community aligned 99.9% against Blatter and Qatar, the knee-jerk contrarian in me has caused me to look for angles to support FIFA, Qatar 2022 and Blatter. Looking at it with a fresh perspective, I think I can get behind this guy. Why do you Americans always think you know what's best for everyone else anyway? The Arabs get their first small bit of inclusion in world soccer and you've got to go tear it down, right? As if the Clinton bid was squeaky clean ...

Users who are viewing this thread