What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

Future Golden Boot winner, Hatrick Bamford's take on this is my favorite take on this Super Cup noise:

The forward also questioned why clubs have put so much effort into forming a breakaway league for more money but seem hesitant to act on areas such as racism in football.

“We’ve just seen pretty much what everyone else has seen on Twitter and stuff. It’s amazing the things that they’re talking about, I can’t quite comprehend it, it’s amazing the amount of uproar that comes into the game when some of these pockets are being hurt.  So, it’s a shame it’s not like that with all the things that go wrong at the minute with racism and stuff like that."

high five emoji

Last edited by a moderator:
Sam Lee @SamLee

Guardiola: "It's not sport when there is no relation between effort and success, it's not sport. It's not sport if it doesn't matter if you lose. I've said many times I want the best competition as possible. It's not fair if teams fight at the top and cannot qualify.'
The Man City PR people ended the press conference asap once they saw what Guardiola was saying even though Pep was willing to answer many more questions.

It seems clear that very few outside of the owners and highest levels of the front office think this is a good idea and that is on the teams that are joining, much less every other team hating it from the top down.

The meme's write themselves :)

=========

[FC Dallas] Just in case anybody wants to leave the Super League. FC Dallas has acquired a 2021 international roster spot from Toronto FC in exchange for $225,000 in General Allocation Money

Perez is now saying that the sport does not appeal to younger viewers the way it once did and they are going to look at items like shortening the games.

I personally think FIFA moves like a tectonic plate in terms of keeping the game up to date with rule changes but I don't want a rogue league making changes on their own either.

And as a related comment, for the problems that the sport has, fitting itself perfectly into a 2 hour window is not one of them.
Letting Perez run the Super League makes the whole idea even worse.

Substitute "owners" for "clubs" and it makes a lot more sense.
I don't even think that is true.  There is backlash every time a super league idea is floated.

From what I am reading - this has been 2 years in the making, and that the owners are prepared to move forward.  They already got a favorable court ruling in Spain, effectively barring UEFA and/or FIFA from imposing any sanctions on the teams until there has been a full hearing.

I think the owners are prepared to ride out the storm, and will be prepared to start play in the fall.

Simon Evans@sgevans

The Madrid court (prelim) ruling also says UEFA and FIFA must not impose sanctions (ie bans) on clubs or players until the court has fully considered the Super League case.

To the bolded. Its a watered down league. I posted in another comment the aroma and initial interest of these clubs playing each other so many times a year now rather than in spurts over 5-6 yrs will kill the atmosphere and aroma and just make them simple another match/game similar to the NBA today. The NBA playoffs I could not care about unless Chicago is in it. I don't want to watch the same teams yearly in the conference finals and finals yearly unless it's really my team in it. Just doesn't interest me. 

As for the soccer aspect @B Maverick probably had the same feelings as me when our two clubs (ManU and Milan) played each other in the Europa League match. Two clubs who should be in CL yearly with similar hardships the last few yrs. We haven't played one another since 2010 or so. I was pretty excited and I know most supporters of both clubs were too. It was a travesty these two games were played without fans involved because the atmosphere would've been off the charts making it that much more memorable. ManU playing in the San Siro for the first time in over a decade with 70K plus and Curva going crazy. Milan in Old Trafford with Diago Dalot who is on loan at Milan from ManU returning to play his parent club in European competition. That was very exciting. We play these matches every year now? That's gonna get boring real fast. Not everyone wants to see the Super teams constantly play one another. I always liked the excitement of a minnow coming up and shocking an elite team. Parma almost beat Juve a few weeks ago. I believe Spezia beat Juve not too long ago by 2 goals. Newcastle Yesterday came away with a late draw vs Spurs. A few months back Newcastle played Man United well enough it probably should've been a draw. I like that. 
I've been thinking about this over the last couple days.  Your United v Milan sentiment is true.  This week should have been filled with United v Roma talk and how United overturned a 2-1 home deficit and went to Rome and won 7-1 to advance 8-3 on aggregate.  How its been 14 years since that night and what it means for Roma.

Sure we get the Manchester Derby and United Liverpool rivalry games twice a year (or more in domestic cups) and you need that.  But you also need the European Nights, the prestige and the years long holding of a grudge.  

Sure I like going to the Angels v Dodgers games every year, but it bigger when the Yankees come to town once every 4 years....

As I read and hear more, I think one of the biggest issues is the potential "Americanization" of the sport.  I don't mean that as anti-American, I just mean a move toward the playoff model that American sport uses.  Don't get me wrong, I love playoff baseball and football.  I would not ask the US sports leagues (except MLS  :D ) to change their ways.  They have a history in how they have run their leagues.  Most Europeans don't like that model.  They don't understand how you crown a champion who didn't win the most games, and the season long best team can lose 1 game and not be title holders.  Their history is pro/rel, qualification, etc.  They fear that being lost by introducing a league that the majority of members can not miss out on.

It feels super weird to be pulling for the Premier League. They alone can really scuttle this. RFEF and Italy won't. 

Would be really fun to see UEFA kick these guys out of the CL/Europa semis....
The Newcastle United pages/forums are saying the same thing, especially since they effectively scuttled the takeover, probably in part due to lobbying by the same six teams who are now screwing over the PL as a thank you. 

And I hate the idea of shorter matches.  45 mins of action and no commercials, followed by 15 mins to hit the restroom/eat/whatever, followed by 45 mins of action and no commercials....

When I tell someone the game will be over in 2 hours, it really is over in 2 hours.  Don't mess with perfection.

As I read and hear more, I think one of the biggest issues is the potential "Americanization" of the sport.  I don't mean that as anti-American, I just mean a move toward the playoff model that American sport uses.  Don't get me wrong, I love playoff baseball and football.  I would not ask the US sports leagues (except MLS  :D ) to change their ways.  They have a history in how they have run their leagues.  Most Europeans don't like that model.  They don't understand how you crown a champion who didn't win the most games, and the season long best team can lose 1 game and not be title holders.  Their history is pro/rel, qualification, etc.  They fear that being lost by introducing a league that the majority of members can not miss out on.
The CL and WC already use the playoff model.  Hell that's the only good part of the CL.

The CL and WC already use the playoff model.  Hell that's the only good part of the CL.
Yes but its a qualification process to get to these. Anyone can still get there.

The ESL, for the top 15 teams at least, doesn't.  Its a closed league for all intensive purposes.

I tell my wife that all the time - even if the game is already in extra time..."It will be over in 2 hours!"
:lmao:  My ex wife preferred when I watched soccer to the NFL.  5 mins left on the clock means 5 mins, not 30+

It might be an issue, but the biggest is clearly the closed, non- competetive aspect.

I'd they restructured it to favor the top teams...best last three years, or some other method to better ensure the top teams get an advantage- there'd be a lot less problem with anything else imo. I'm pretty sure argentina's top flight already does this.

“It’s time for another Sherwin-Williams Corner Kick. Sherwin-Williams paint will make the walls in your new nursery look amazing, including those tough to reach corners. Looks like the Real Madrid Thunderbolts will allow the third quarter to end before delivering the corner rather than use one of their timeouts. Let’s send it over to Michelle Williams on the Manchester United Tigercats sideline for an update. Michelle?” “Hi John. I was talking to Tigercats’ manager Pepe Ferguson about what went wrong in the third quarter when his team collapsed and gave up 3 straight 5-point goals to fall behind 34-30, and he said he felt his team just came out of the locker room flat and just need to try and focus. Back to you, John.” “Thanks, Michelle. That brings us to the end of the third quarter with the Thunderbolts hanging on to that 4 point lead. Will they go for a traditional single point goal or try to really extend their lead with another 5-point attempt? We’ll find out right after these words from Chrysler.”

Yes but its a qualification process to get to these. Anyone can still get there.

The ESL, for the top 15 teams at least, doesn't.  Its a closed league for all intensive purposes.

:lmao:  My ex wife preferred when I watched soccer to the NFL.  5 mins left on the clock means 5 mins, not 30+
That's a different issue entirely.  At its heart what European fans are pissed off at is that these 12 clubs have a guaranteed 420 million dollars a year.  That I can understand, but the actual sporting aspects seem like English fans wanting the EPL to remain the predominate competition when in reality for the rest of the world its already the CL (sic Superleague).

“It’s time for another Sherwin-Williams Corner Kick. Sherwin-Williams paint will make the walls in your new nursery look amazing, including those tough to reach corners. Looks like the Real Madrid Thunderbolts will allow the third quarter to end before delivering the corner rather than use one of their timeouts. Let’s send it over to Michelle Williams on the Manchester United Tigercats sideline for an update. Michelle?” “Hi John. I was talking to Tigercats’ manager Pepe Ferguson about what went wrong in the third quarter when his team collapsed and gave up 3 straight 5-point goals to fall behind 34-30, and he said he felt his team just came out of the locker room flat and just need to try and focus. Back to you, John.” “Thanks, Michelle. That brings us to the end of the third quarter with the Thunderbolts hanging on to that 4 point lead. Will they go for a traditional single point goal or try to really extend their lead with another 5-point attempt? We’ll find out right after these words from Chrysler.”
Oh wow, I did not put two and two together.

When Perez was talking about making the game "shorter", I now think that was code for keeping the window still at two hours but shortening the play to get more commercials in place.

The whole pitch to the investors has to be increased revenues and the biggest revenue growth they can offer is more commercial time to increase the TV profits.

At its heart what European fans are pissed off at is that these 12 clubs have a guaranteed 420 million dollars a year.  
Nope.

It's the severing of the money from merit and closing the system.

The EPL teams broke away to get more money, but in order to benefit from the additional money you had to remain in the EPL by winning. 

And over the years 16 of the 22 EPL founding teams have been relegated, and lost access to that sweet EPL $$ until they earned it again.

It might be an issue, but the biggest is clearly the closed, non- competetive aspect.

I'd they restructured it to favor the top teams...best last three years, or some other method to better ensure the top teams get an advantage- there'd be a lot less problem with anything else imo. I'm pretty sure argentina's top flight already does this.
Oh I agree with you that this is the biggest issue.  Just also seeing concern that this is the first step toward that American Sports model, esp when its being led by American owners of United and Liverpool. And backed by JP Morgan

That's a different issue entirely.  At its heart what European fans are pissed off at is that these 12 clubs have a guaranteed 420 million dollars a year.  That I can understand, but the actual sporting aspects seem like English fans wanting the EPL to remain the predominate competition when in reality for the rest of the world its already the CL (sic Superleague).
The fans of those 12 clubs being guaranteed 420 million a year absolutely hate it. I think you are dramatically under emphasizing the real issue here. Man U is still going to be super rich either way. 

Martin Lipton @MartinLipton

Manchester City pulling out of Super League. City have told organisers they no longer want to be part of the £4.6billion scheme.

The fans of those 12 clubs being guaranteed 420 million a year absolutely hate it. I think you are dramatically under emphasizing the real issue here. Man U is still going to be super rich either way. 
ManU's English fans absolutely hate it.  That I get.  Hell I as a resident of Tobacco Road I, wasn't happy when the NC State-Duke home and home was obliterated either.  But, would the vast majority of Chinese or casual American fans where the growth in the future is going to come from unhappy with it?  I get that 65 million English aren't happy, but are the 1.5 billion elsewhere.  

ManU's English fans absolutely hate it.  That I get.  Hell I as a resident of Tobacco Road I, wasn't happy when the NC State-Duke home and home was obliterated either.  But, would the vast majority of Chinese or casual American fans where the growth in the future is going to come from unhappy with it?  I get that 65 million English aren't happy, but are the 1.5 billion elsewhere.  
I mean, they shouldn’t have expanded the ACC either. If American fans were as passionate as the brits we wouldn’t have this crappy college football and hoops experience either. 

as for the 1.5 billion elsewhere, I doubt it’s wise business to openly antagonize your most loyal fans closest to your home base. They’re usually the ticket buyers. 

Atletico pulling out now too.

If I were really, really cynical I'd swear all this was just to let UEFA announce the expanded CL format starting in 2023 with as little blowback as possible.

Why would they have announced this without PSG or the Germans on board?  Also, the PR was terrible from the club side.  I'm not saying it was ever going to be welcomed with open arms, but it seems to me much of the opposition was based on misunderstanding and rumor.  The EPL was never going to kick its top 6 teams out, and FIFA was never going to ban its most popular 100 players from the world cup.

Why would they have announced this without PSG or the Germans on board?  Also, the PR was terrible from the club side.  I'm not saying it was ever going to be welcomed with open arms, but it seems to me much of the opposition was based on misunderstanding and rumor.  The EPL was never going to kick its top 6 teams out, and FIFA was never going to ban its most popular 100 players from the world cup.
I thought this was about as bad of a business rollout that I have seen in my career.

ok now that this looks to be dying the fastest death in history, lets change the parameters of the Super League.  It is clear that the players, coaches and fans were unusually unified against the Super League.

If the Super League was presented this way instead, would more have been in favor iof it?  I know UEFA would have to fight this tooth and nail but I am more thinking about players/coaches/fans buy in.

* Super League to start in 2027

* At the end of the 2026 season, the top 20 ranked UEFA teams will make up the first season of the Super League.  If any don't wish to join, the next highest ranked team will be invited

* All 20 teams will not play in the UCL

* 4 teams will be relegated each year from the Super League

* the 4 teams that make UCL semi finals will be promoted

* All teams in the Super League stay in their domestic leagues as well

Users who are viewing this thread