What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (3 Viewers)

Isn't this sort of canard.  Out of the big 6 in England, only 4-5 can make it any one year anyway, so almost by definition, two must be just getting by.  I mean ManU's missed the CL 3 of the last 7 years and failed to get out the group once, and it hasn't destroyed them.

Not sure your point (or "canard"  :lmao: ) but any team that is out of the top 4 takes a financial hit for not making CL.  ESL makes it so that doesn't matter, they get the money and are in the competition anyway.  To them the bigger reward is winning the ESL.  So now the EPL gets treated like the top clubs treat the FA Cup or the League Cup.  Of course this is just my speculation on what could happen.

I don't think we should focus only on the EPL here.  What this does is it reduces the "other" leagues and other bigger clubs to a perpetual second tier status.  I brought up Porto and Ajax, two clubs with strong CL historical performances, not to mention up and comers like RBL, Leicester, and Napoli.

Locking in revenues like this is anti-competitive and collusive. Things that should be avoided IMO.   
There are the 5 invites every year - so a small number of these clubs will be rewarded.  If Leicester City wins England again, they would presumably get an invite to the following season's ESL.  If they finish 2nd or 3rd?  Probably not.  The teams that get hurt bad are the winners of the smaller leagues - e.g. Midtjylland, Olympiacos, Zenit, Shaktar - who will probably not get an invite, and the 2nd or 3rd place teams in Italy, Germany, France, Spain, England, if not part of the 15 - all of whom have to share the 5 invite spots.

Okay, I'm pretty sure this Super League is happening, it's simply inevitable.  The owners of these teams are getting a massive revenue stream, why in the world would they turn it down?  NFL owners move their TEAMS to a new city if they don't get their way, cough cough.  This is a no-brainer, surprised it took so long to happen.

The FA's would be foolish to kick the teams out of domestic leagues/cups and I'm sure they will allow the Super League to happen, so long as it's been played outside of league play.  The Italian teams have already confirmed that that is exactly what they intend to do.  What kind of television contract is the EPL going to get if they push out United, Liverpool, et al.  You're looking at pennies on the dollar as to what they get now.

What you're going to have is 15 or so teams with enough money to pretty much get the best players in the world and you'll get to see these teams square off often.  What would you rather watch mid-November, a Leicester/Burnley match or Liverpool/Barcelona?  

Yeah, UEFA is going to get screwed here, as they will ultimately end up with a much lesser tourney to crown the "champions of Europe".  But whatever.  They can still have a tournament.  

I'm really surprised that the likes of PSG, Bayern, Dortmund have passed on joining.  I know the initial fall out here is pretty anti-Super League, but I'm not sure why.  I wonder what they're fans are going to do when their best players move to Super League teams that can be 2-3x the salary, along with the prestige of being in the Super League.  

I'm not saying I'm particularly for the league, because I do like tradition and if it aint broke, why fix it, imho.  But change is inevitable I suppose. I'm willing to give it a watch.  I mean, at the end of the day, you'll basically have a league with super star clashes every game. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Liverpool/Barcelona or whatever just isn't special anymore when it's merely part of a schedule and happens all the time. IMO anyway, it'll just be another game, eventually. I could be in the minority there, IDK
To a neutral if I'm given a choice of watching say Liverpool and Barcelona (both teams of which I hate with the burning fury of 10,000 suns) or Leicester/Burnley, let's just say I'm rooting for cards/injuries in the game I'll be watching. 

Here's my opinion.  I try try try each year to get into MLS.  I have a local team.  I want to watch the league and see some good matches.  But, each team has like 2-3 good players.  3-4 decent players and the rest of the club is garbage.  And then MLS feels the need to expand, and thus dilute the talent even further.  So, the quality of play is worse, and I just simply cannot watch.  I'd watch Bundesliga II, Eredivise, Championship matches before I would watch an MLS game if they were on at the same time.  I think the LigaMX/MLS merger with 20 teams would be outstanding, because I watch a lot more Mexican soccer games (which suffer from the same issue that MLS does in that there is not enough quality to fill the league)  just my humble opinion.

The more I think about this, the more I think most football fans don't understand what is going on.

This is simply a thinly disguised sponsorship deal for clubs with world-wide appeal.  Instead of a logo on a shirt, or stadium, the sponsor wants these teams to play each other in a tournament, that the sponsor will monetize via broadcast revenue.

Nobody blinks an eye when a Man United can get a massive world-wide sponsor that dwarfs what 75% of the PL teams can get. You just shrug and say - world-wide appeal = $$$.  This is really no different.

When I remove the emotion from the sport I love in this issue, I think this is going to be a fascinating battle of who blinks first.

The clubs are absolutely correct in thinking that the leagues they are in currently will need them to stay and play.

But there also seems to be some ways the leagues (and possibly local governments) can intervene and put a huge clog in the ESL's hopes.

I figured this gets solved the way everything in soccer gets solved, and that being enough people getting paid on both sides of the issue.

The more I think about this, the more I think most football fans don't understand what is going on.

This is simply a thinly disguised sponsorship deal for clubs with world-wide appeal.  Instead of a logo on a shirt, or stadium, the sponsor wants these teams to play each other in a tournament, that the sponsor will monetize via broadcast revenue.

Nobody blinks an eye when a Man United can get a massive world-wide sponsor that dwarfs what 75% of the PL teams can get. You just shrug and say - world-wide appeal = $$$.  This is really no different.
Are sponsorships guaranteed in perpetuity?

well I guess we knew this would be an obvious rebuttal.   

====================

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez says that players involved in the Super League will NOT be banned from international competitions and national teams. "Our players will NOT be banned from the World Cup. I guarantee it. They can be 100% certain of it."

Yes it is. As this takes the place of an existing competition that has true qualification and meritocracy with something that codifies strata into the game.  It's a bull#### money grab and everyone knows it. 

Yes it is. As this takes the place of an existing competition that has true qualification and meritocracy with something that codifies strata into the game.  It's a bull#### money grab and everyone knows it. 
Sure it is.

But, it does not fundamentally change anything.

If UEFA want to put on a CL, they can still do so - its just won't make the same amount of money for UEFA.

For La Liga - Atletico, Madrid and Barcelona will continue to have more revenue than anyone else.  How has that changed?

People confuse "Super League" with some UEFA-sanctioned league to determine the best club in Europe.  Its simple a self-contained tournament for teams to maximize their revenue.  Its no different than getting a big sponsor - because that is exactly what they have done.

Of course its a money grab.  Welcome to the 21st century.  Everything about the sport - at this level - is a money grab.

I think the bold is largely true, assuming the leagues/UEFA/FIFA don't actually pull off banning these teams or players. The cool thing about CL/Europa league is that you have to qualify every year. The downside is that there are a ton of teams in it that have no realistic chance.

What it does is entrench the existing powers. Maybe that doesn't matter in Spain as it is hard to see what could ever dislodge the top 3 right now. Juventus (until this year) won 8 straight. PSG 7 of the last 8. Bayern the last 8.

English fans have the most to complain about here. City is running away with the EPL, but there is a lot of competition for the European spots. Their recent massive contract has really allowed the mid-table teams to compete and elevate their game. Based on results, Leicester has as much a claim as Arsenal. When have Spurs won anything that makes them worthy of a permanent inclusions? It solely is down to their branding. And I think that is what is what people are reacting to. I also think AC Milan is in that bucket.

:2cents:  
Milan are the record holder for European Championships and are on the rise again They aren't fully there yet but getting there. The New league generates a club who has struggled for money since the fake China Owners are getting 350M Euros out of this. I can see the reasoning for Italian Clubs doing this. They are far behind economically competing with the other leagues. Most clubs outside of Juventus right now don't own their own stadiums and pay rent to the city they play in. So that is income they aren't getting especially for any other outside of Football events like concerts and stuff that happen there the stadium is rented for. Milan  is also a world brand. A poll showed that Milan Since Ibra went back is amongst the most popular clubs in America right now including kit sales. Spurs well they haven't won anything in yrs. Last trophy I think was 08 a domestic league cup. Besides a Sexy New Stadium what does Spurs have to offer right now? Go ask any soccer fan about Spurs and Milan and you could probably get most non supporters of both to name more accomplishments from player and managers to club success at Milan then Spurs. 

Is 8 points "running away with"?  ;)

I think this may play a part.  But some articles I've seen indicate its more about the share of the money between the clubs and UEFA in the CL.  Either way, its still all about the  :moneybag:
I mean we're talking about the same Elite EPL clubs that denied the Newcastle Sale because they don't want more competition. 

And the Americans that bought these clubs expect a return on their investment that isn't coming. Of course, football clubs shouldn't be investment vehicles. 
I've been listening/watching a Milan podcast for well over 4 yrs now called SempreMilan. They've harped on this constantly that if you are trying to buy a football club you better already be filthy rich because you aren't gonna earn any money on the club. You are gonna operate at a loss (In your own money) most yrs. David Amayol who does the CalcioLand Podcast is a stock broker and really does well talking economics for Italian clubs (really interested in his take tomorrow on his Tuesday pod on all of this in terms of economics), is always talking about this too. The American owners don't understand that. 

Milan CEO and former Arsenal Man Ivan Gazidis was part of the founding of MLS. He was on Grant Wahl's podcast in Feb and they talked about his time in the US and how different US Sports economics are from Europe. He said there's a few things the US does better that Europe could learn from. 

Agree. 

I'm so happy Dortmund turned down the ESL.  I already have some Dortmund gear from the Pulisic days.  If this ESL crap comes to fruition I'll just burn my Spurs gear and go full in Dortmund.  
I'm mostly siding on the Bayern side. One a customer of mine is a big fan of them and 2 a local German Beer Garden in South Philly is a huge Bayern establishment already. 

I only care to the point that it screws up the international game.  I have been waiting a life time as a US fan to see American's get to top teams and now we will be severely punished for it if these threats hold true.

I mentioned in the US thread, I think a Bosman like figure will emerge through this.  I have a hard time seeing this held up in court that you can be banned from a competition based on a contract you signed BEFORE this all hit the fan.
Could see UEFA allowing players a window to have some control. Say like moving to another club if they so choose. Also how long is the ban? Is it life time or only as long as you are playing for the SL club? 

This is a really interesting take that I need to think about more because I am not sure how I feel about it,  It has just enough truth in it to make me go "hmmmmmm"

========

Regal Soccer

@Regal_Soccer

When you have no financial restrictions in place in the open market of football, clubs being able to buy trophies and just increase the wealth gap to preposterous amounts, was inevitable. That will always be the end result of pro/rel unless you put financial restrictions & caps
I always have said Soccer in Europe needs some sort of salary cap structure. The FFP was suppose to help calm things down but it didn't and UEFA has always played favoritism to certain clubs, while ignoring major loopholes in the rules like the one that allowed PSG to Buy Neymar and so fourth 

My interest in tracking Pitt basketball pretty much evaporated to nothing when they left the Big East.
As a Nova fan I pretty much agree with the exception Big East Basketball in general. I follow and support Nova and the campus is 10 mins from my house without traffic driving. However since the Pitts/Cuses' etc left the Big East it hasn't been the same basketball wise. 

I don't care about the pass, I just want to play other bluebloods and want that extra revenue to reinvest in the school (I mean line my coaches pockets).  Similarly I just want to see more (any) Chelsea-Barca or Manu-Juventus matches.
Not me and I agree with Gary Neville's take today. I think a lot of fans are losing interest in soccer these days because of the big money clubs ruining everything. Also the more we see the big clubs play one another the more it deludes the spectacle of these clubs playing one another. Neville brought up Liverpool vs I think Barca for the first time since like 2009-10 season about 2 or so yrs ago and being very excited about it. He thinks the more these clubs play each other outside of the knockout rounds of CL competition and other such events, the illustriousness and aroma of it will ware off. Fans and supporters will get bored. 

I kind of agree because the NBA has fallen into that regard for me with Playoffs and finals yearly. 

What does the rest of the internet have to say?  They think this is a good thing?
I've seen a lot of difference of opinion from fans. Casuals and those on the American side seem to like the Superleague aspect where the snobs of European soccer and thumbing their noises at the very idea of it's existence. Supporters of the actual clubs involved many are not supporting their clubs in this outcome. It's a mixed bag of balls from all over. Fans threatening to support new clubs, wanting players who participate in this to be banned from International comp,clubs banned from UEFA, etc etc. 

Norway NT Manager Ståle Solbakken:
Same reason as Inter. The money. Conte outside of last years Euros has been horrible in European comp and Juve can't win anything outside of Italy because they don't have the refs helping them and giving them gifts in certain matches. Juve has been dominate in Italy domestically for yes 10 yrs however there's more then a few matches you can look back on and say well Juve got a gift from the refs What might have been standings or points wise if that was called or not called. Every Milan fan Juve's first title run remembers the Sully Muntari disallowed goal that clearly went in. With VAR/Goalline tech that is reviewed and given as a goal. Milan probably wins that match and wins the title that year and who knows where both clubs would be now or maybe it just delays the inevitable that finally happened at Milan a few yrs after that. 

So Poch gets a trophy with PSG (the one they have craved since buying Neymar) and Jose gets sacked a week before he plays for the one trophy Spurs could get, and their first in how many years?
13 yrs. 08 without a trophy. I think it was one of the cups they won. 

Don't envy Klopp in the pre- and post-match scrums today.

Liverpool probably counting their good fortune there are no fans in the stadium.
I heard about the shirts Leeds left them. I laughed. As someone who despises Liverpool as a Milan fan and Newcastle fan one of the few bright spots in all of this today 

That is the same basic pushback I see on Spurs boards.

if you really want to throw a grenade into the situation - suggest a play-off system to decide the champion...
Europeans would have a fit. I've had several friends from College from Germany, Spain, Italy and elsewhere while in America (a few still here), don't get the playoff system at all. Think it's stupid and unfair to the club/team who has the best record in the league for them to lose in one game and not be declared winners and some team with less wins is crowned "champion". I thought maybe most Europeans without the playoff system would've been more interested in College Football back in the day because of it. But they also don't get the college sports thing for the most part. 

:)

======================

Marc Stein

@TheSteinLine

Will never, ever, ever tire of watch @Pele bicycle home the equalizer for the Allies against the Germans and @TheSlyStallone save the ensuing pen. Thanks for showing it, @FS1

THAT is Super League!

Isn't this sort of canard.  Out of the big 6 in England, only 4-5 can make it any one year anyway, so almost by definition, two must be just getting by.  I mean ManU's missed the CL 3 of the last 7 years and failed to get out the group once, and it hasn't destroyed them.

Same with Milan. They haven't been in CL for awhile. It destroyed them economically which is why you saw them selling Silva, Ibra and the likes when they did. Of corse bad investments on players and free transfers didn't help in the long run and Silvio giving the club to fake owners didn't help. Right now Milan's transfer budget predicates them getting a top 4 spot for Champions league (As of now till this SL starts up). 

Okay, I'm pretty sure this Super League is happening, it's simply inevitable.  The owners of these teams are getting a massive revenue stream, why in the world would they turn it down?  NFL owners move their TEAMS to a new city if they don't get their way, cough cough.  This is a no-brainer, surprised it took so long to happen.

The FA's would be foolish to kick the teams out of domestic leagues/cups and I'm sure they will allow the Super League to happen, so long as it's been played outside of league play.  The Italian teams have already confirmed that that is exactly what they intend to do.  What kind of television contract is the EPL going to get if they push out United, Liverpool, et al.  You're looking at pennies on the dollar as to what they get now.

What you're going to have is 15 or so teams with enough money to pretty much get the best players in the world and you'll get to see these teams square off often.  What would you rather watch mid-November, a Leicester/Burnley match or Liverpool/Barcelona?  

Yeah, UEFA is going to get screwed here, as they will ultimately end up with a much lesser tourney to crown the "champions of Europe".  But whatever.  They can still have a tournament.  

I'm really surprised that the likes of PSG, Bayern, Dortmund have passed on joining.  I know the initial fall out here is pretty anti-Super League, but I'm not sure why.  I wonder what they're fans are going to do when their best players move to Super League teams that can be 2-3x the salary, along with the prestige of being in the Super League.  

I'm not saying I'm particularly for the league, because I do like tradition and if it aint broke, why fix it, imho.  But change is inevitable I suppose. I'm willing to give it a watch.  I mean, at the end of the day, you'll basically have a league with super star clashes every game. :shrug:
To the bolded. Its a watered down league. I posted in another comment the aroma and initial interest of these clubs playing each other so many times a year now rather than in spurts over 5-6 yrs will kill the atmosphere and aroma and just make them simple another match/game similar to the NBA today. The NBA playoffs I could not care about unless Chicago is in it. I don't want to watch the same teams yearly in the conference finals and finals yearly unless it's really my team in it. Just doesn't interest me. 

As for the soccer aspect @B Maverick probably had the same feelings as me when our two clubs (ManU and Milan) played each other in the Europa League match. Two clubs who should be in CL yearly with similar hardships the last few yrs. We haven't played one another since 2010 or so. I was pretty excited and I know most supporters of both clubs were too. It was a travesty these two games were played without fans involved because the atmosphere would've been off the charts making it that much more memorable. ManU playing in the San Siro for the first time in over a decade with 70K plus and Curva going crazy. Milan in Old Trafford with Diago Dalot who is on loan at Milan from ManU returning to play his parent club in European competition. That was very exciting. We play these matches every year now? That's gonna get boring real fast. Not everyone wants to see the Super teams constantly play one another. I always liked the excitement of a minnow coming up and shocking an elite team. Parma almost beat Juve a few weeks ago. I believe Spezia beat Juve not too long ago by 2 goals. Newcastle Yesterday came away with a late draw vs Spurs. A few months back Newcastle played Man United well enough it probably should've been a draw. I like that. 

To a neutral if I'm given a choice of watching say Liverpool and Barcelona (both teams of which I hate with the burning fury of 10,000 suns) or Leicester/Burnley, let's just say I'm rooting for cards/injuries in the game I'll be watching. 

Here's my opinion.  I try try try each year to get into MLS.  I have a local team.  I want to watch the league and see some good matches.  But, each team has like 2-3 good players.  3-4 decent players and the rest of the club is garbage.  And then MLS feels the need to expand, and thus dilute the talent even further.  So, the quality of play is worse, and I just simply cannot watch.  I'd watch Bundesliga II, Eredivise, Championship matches before I would watch an MLS game if they were on at the same time.  I think the LigaMX/MLS merger with 20 teams would be outstanding, because I watch a lot more Mexican soccer games (which suffer from the same issue that MLS does in that there is not enough quality to fill the league)  just my humble opinion.
I like MLS in the fact that every year as long as your club is run well enough you have a chance to win the cup. I know the MLS rules some suck but I also believe without some of these Rules the Likes of clubs like NYRB (Back in the day), NYFC, Inter Mia, Both LA clubs, Sea, and maybe Orlando would run away from the competition yearly. MLS has done well with the competitive balance that works financially and keeps league competitive balance to an extent. My Local club the Union are allergic to buying DP's that cost a lot. We aren't gonna bring home some European US player (when Brendan Aaronson is older and ready to comeback past his prime I doubt we bring him in), the big young South American prospect that cost a record transfer fee to buy isn't happening. We did the Red Bull model (not surprising since our TD is Ernest Tanner a former Director for them), buy young cheap players, traded draft picks away for allocation money and TAM and other finances to establish better academy set up etc. We bought a few cheaper DP players and last year lifted our first club trophy the supporters shield. If we win the cup it's gonna be way more satisfying than had we bought like 4 DP players like MIA has done and then won. Yes MLS isn't the greatest quality but to me it's still soccer, I got a local team I can invest in and proud to support now and we have a great supporters group. 

Same with Milan for me these days. We're investing in youth and say this super league doesn't happen we win CL and Domestic league combined in another few yrs. That's gonna be more satisfying to me given the amount I've invested in supporting some of these young players, then had we decided screw it and went out and bought Ronaldo, Neymar, Sancho, etc and won. 

To me what you are describing is a casual fan. I don't know if you have an allegiance of any kind to a European team (I would say most of us here are diehard supporters of whatever club we support) and are soccer junkies already. 

Well it looks like Perez was already caught in his first lie.  And while it was a minor one, it certainly adds a tinge to every thing else he said today.

The small lie was that he stated emphatically that PSG, Bayern and Dortmund were not invited to the Super League.  A German news group got their hands on the official document which shows all 3 teams were formally invited to join.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzX0pnwVEAI4k6W?format=jpg&name=small

Perez is just trying to dunk on everyone at this point :)   This is going to amazingly entertaining if it is not tragic.

================

Madrid Zone

@theMadridZone

The Super League clubs have decided to transfer their #UCL trophies over to the Super League. Real Madrid will start with 13 Super League championships.

Well it looks like Perez was already caught in his first lie.  And while it was a minor one, it certainly adds a tinge to every thing else he said today.

The small lie was that he stated emphatically that PSG, Bayern and Dortmund were not invited to the Super League.  A German news group got their hands on the official document which shows all 3 teams were formally invited to join.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzX0pnwVEAI4k6W?format=jpg&name=900x900
Doesn't seem minor to me.

Will be interesting to see if all 12 <s>teams</s> owners hold their nerve long enough to push this through.

Doesn't seem minor to me.
It kind of reads to me like a middle school kid asking a girl to a dance and when she says no, he tells every one he never asked to begin with to save face.

The petulance on both sides should be fairly entertaining because they are all just shooting from the hip.   Even the normally reserve British government went in with both feet today in a Concacaf like tackle

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-56807515

Will be interesting to see if all 12 teams hold their nerve long enough to push this through.
This is the head sports writer of the Mail (so take with a grain of salt)

Oliver Holt

@OllieHolt22

Hearing the first cracks may be beginning to appear in the ugly, misshapen edifice of the ESL. Told two English clubs are close to losing their nerve.

This is the head sports writer of the Mail (so take with a grain of salt)

Oliver Holt @OllieHolt22

Hearing the first cracks may be beginning to appear in the ugly, misshapen edifice of the ESL. Told two English clubs are close to losing their nerve.
John Henry may be the biggest loser out of this - especially if it doesn't go through.  Unlike the other five (I think?), Henry was fairly well respected going into this.  There was always suspicion as an American Hedgie, but he hired a perfect manager, turned the team around, put it on stable footing, got the new stadium construction through, said all the right things while doing it, and has the club in a great spot for the long-run.  He'll never get past it now IMO.

John Henry may be the biggest loser out of this - especially if it doesn't go through.  Unlike the other five (I think?), Henry was fairly well respected going into this.  There was always suspicion as an American Hedgie, but he hired a perfect manager, turned the team around, put it on stable footing, got the new stadium construction through, said all the right things while doing it, and has the club in a great spot for the long-run.  He'll never get past it now IMO.
This was almost exactly what he did with the Red Sox too, but for some reason both the media and fans never cared for the guy here.

Milan are the record holder for European Championships and are on the rise again They aren't fully there yet but getting there. The New league generates a club who has struggled for money since the fake China Owners are getting 350M Euros out of this. I can see the reasoning for Italian Clubs doing this. They are far behind economically competing with the other leagues. Most clubs outside of Juventus right now don't own their own stadiums and pay rent to the city they play in. So that is income they aren't getting especially for any other outside of Football events like concerts and stuff that happen there the stadium is rented for. Milan  is also a world brand. A poll showed that Milan Since Ibra went back is amongst the most popular clubs in America right now including kit sales. Spurs well they haven't won anything in yrs. Last trophy I think was 08 a domestic league cup. Besides a Sexy New Stadium what does Spurs have to offer right now? Go ask any soccer fan about Spurs and Milan and you could probably get most non supporters of both to name more accomplishments from player and managers to club success at Milan then Spurs. 
I don't think what AC Milan did decades ago nor how big their brand is should qualify them for the top Euro tournament every year. Only results on the pitch should matter.

Perez is now saying that the sport does not appeal to younger viewers the way it once did and they are going to look at items like shortening the games.

I personally think FIFA moves like a tectonic plate in terms of keeping the game up to date with rule changes but I don't want a rogue league making changes on their own either.

And as a related comment, for the problems that the sport has, fitting itself perfectly into a 2 hour window is not one of them.

Jordan Henderson has called an emergency meeting of all the EPL captains to discuss how they want to handle the ESL issue.  

This is going to get cringe worthy if the players themselves unite against the league but I am unsure what the out come will be.

It is clear now that no coaches or players were consulted about this move and I still feel punishing either makes no sense.

Just for kicks, the last 20 years in CL history:
In Finals
Real Madrid 5-0
Barcelona 4-0
Bayern 3-2
Liverpool 2-2
Milan 2-1
Manchester United 1-2
Chelsea 1-1
Inter, Porto 1-0
Juventus 0-3
Atletico Madrid 0-2
Arsenal, Dortmund, Leverkusen, Monaco, PSG, Tottenham, Valencia all 0-1

Spain 9-3 4 clubs
England 4-7 5 clubs
Germany 3-4 3 clubs
Italy 3-4 3 clubs
Portugal 1-0 1 club
France 0-2 2 clubs

Throw in teams that lost in the Semis those 20 years:
Barcelona 7, Real Madrid 6, Bayern & Chelsea 5, Manchester United 3
Ajax, Lyon, Monaco 2
Arsenal, Atletico Madrid, Deportivo, Dortmund, Inter, Juventus, Kiev, Leeds, Leipzig, Liverpool, Man City, Milan, Eindhoven, Roma, Schalke Villareal all 1

Just thought it was interesting while looking at the names of clubs being thrown out.

Users who are viewing this thread