What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (6 Viewers)

It is so odd how CBS ignored soccer for decades and now can't stop buying soccer properties.  Having unlimited inventory for streaming must be so critical to the business plan

==================

CBS Sports PR

@CBSSportsGang

CBS Sports Acquires Exclusive Rights to Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Competitions
Have to admit that CBSSports Golazo is pretty good branding.

It is so odd how CBS ignored soccer for decades and now can't stop buying soccer properties.  Having unlimited inventory for streaming must be so critical to the business plan

==================

CBS Sports PR

@CBSSportsGang

CBS Sports Acquires Exclusive Rights to Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Competitions
I think NBC showed the way moving everything to Peacock to drive subscriptions.  CBS looks to be doing the same with Paramount+

Do we know if he is really hurt or if this is a cover for cutting him?
That seems unlikely to me but this is soccer so who knows :)

The injury was a non contact injury and he could be heard telling the trainer "it's gone" when he got hurt and was subbed out yesterday against Austria.

He started for England in that game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this is insanity

===================

Houston Texans running back Mark Ingram II is buying a minority stake in D.C. United in a deal that values the club at $710 million, among the highest totals ever for an MLS franchise, according to people familiar with the deal.

The former Heisman Trophy winner is one of a trio of investors taking equity in the team controlled by Jason Levien and Steve Kaplan, said the people, who were granted anonymity because the matter is private. The $710 million valuation is among the highest ever for an MLS franchise during a minority stake transaction. 

La Gazzetta Dello Sports is reporting Chelsea Striker Olivier Giroud has snubbed a Chelsea contract Extension to come to Milan. According to a source of the paper he snubbed West Ham as well. He wants to try and new league and Experience and Milan is a perfect choice for the Frenchmen the paper reports given the French Speaking players from Theo Hernandez, Mike Maignan, Frank El Presidente Kessie, Isamael Bennacer and Pierre Kalulu already in the Squad. 

I found some one with knowledge on the situation for those interested

The italicized part is from the article that was behind the pay wall.  After that is commentary from a guy who follows closely

================

New York City, the New York Yankees and investment manager Nuveen LLC struck a preliminary agreement to restructure debt sold for troubled parking garages at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, removing a potential obstacle to the construction of a new soccer arena.

The Dec. 30 agreement, first disclosed in a bond filing Tuesday (6/1), would resolve the long-running default on the $238 million of municipal bonds issued in 2007 to finance the construction of three parking garages and the renovation of other parking facilities at the new stadium. Revenue from the garages and lots wasn't sufficient to pay debt service as fans preferred public transportation or ride-sharing services or sought out cheaper spots to park. Nuveen held $156 million of the bonds as of April 30, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Bronx Parking Development Co., a non-profit, operated 13 new and existing parking facilities near the stadium under a lease with the city. The agreement calls for Bronx Parking to assign part of the lease to Maddd Equities, which has proposed building a 25,000-seat soccer arena for New York City Football Club.

Maddd Equities is the group partnering with CFG/NYCFC/Yankees to build the new stadium, and this basically guarantees their lease for the stadium site. The remaining obstacles are centered around relocating the GAL Elevator Manufacturing site (which the company and NYCFC are working on jointly to find a new location and seems inevitable), and deciding who is responsible for the removal of the off-ramp near the parking garages that will have to be removed as well (which is the bigger obstacle remaining). This is a significant step in the right direction though.

I found some one with knowledge on the situation for those interested

The italicized part is from the article that was behind the pay wall.  After that is commentary from a guy who follows closely

================

New York City, the New York Yankees and investment manager Nuveen LLC struck a preliminary agreement to restructure debt sold for troubled parking garages at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, removing a potential obstacle to the construction of a new soccer arena.

The Dec. 30 agreement, first disclosed in a bond filing Tuesday (6/1), would resolve the long-running default on the $238 million of municipal bonds issued in 2007 to finance the construction of three parking garages and the renovation of other parking facilities at the new stadium. Revenue from the garages and lots wasn't sufficient to pay debt service as fans preferred public transportation or ride-sharing services or sought out cheaper spots to park. Nuveen held $156 million of the bonds as of April 30, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Bronx Parking Development Co., a non-profit, operated 13 new and existing parking facilities near the stadium under a lease with the city. The agreement calls for Bronx Parking to assign part of the lease to Maddd Equities, which has proposed building a 25,000-seat soccer arena for New York City Football Club.

Maddd Equities is the group partnering with CFG/NYCFC/Yankees to build the new stadium, and this basically guarantees their lease for the stadium site. The remaining obstacles are centered around relocating the GAL Elevator Manufacturing site (which the company and NYCFC are working on jointly to find a new location and seems inevitable), and deciding who is responsible for the removal of the off-ramp near the parking garages that will have to be removed as well (which is the bigger obstacle remaining). This is a significant step in the right direction though.
Over under on 5 years before anything gets done.... @Sammy3469

Over under on 5 years before anything gets done.... @Sammy3469
I'll take the under (I'd guess 4 years).  From what I can gather (I've actually been following along for years now on the NYCFC boards) they've been going at this plot fairly methodically for the past 3 years already and have everything lined up from a land ownership/leases perspective.  What they're waiting on now is all the formal city approvals which are slowly happening (there different CB and Bronx level approvals that have to come in succession over time).  So pending the mayoral election they seem to be on a path to have the necessary approvals in the next 12-18 months. 

How long a build takes after that is anyone's guess, but if this falls apart I'd be surprised.  There was even a vague tweet from the CB the other day on how the SB won't look like the current aerial photo in 5 years.  

I'll take the under (I'd guess 4 years).  From what I can gather (I've actually been following along for years now on the NYCFC boards) they've been going at this plot fairly methodically for the past 3 years already and have everything lined up from a land ownership/leases perspective.  What they're waiting on now is all the formal city approvals which are slowly happening (there different CB and Bronx level approvals that have to come in succession over time).  So pending the mayoral election they seem to be on a path to have the necessary approvals in the next 12-18 months. 

How long a build takes after that is anyone's guess, but if this falls apart I'd be surprised.  There was even a vague tweet from the CB the other day on how the SB won't look like the current aerial photo in 5 years.  
Great to hear. Whenever I hear something (and I'm not following as closely as I know you are) it seems like a brand new plan every time... So I figured years in NYC bureaucratic quagmire before the first shovel his the ground.

La Gazzetta Dello Sports is reporting Chelsea Striker Olivier Giroud has snubbed a Chelsea contract Extension to come to Milan. According to a source of the paper he snubbed West Ham as well. He wants to try and new league and Experience and Milan is a perfect choice for the Frenchmen the paper reports given the French Speaking players from Theo Hernandez, Mike Maignan, Frank El Presidente Kessie, Isamael Bennacer and Pierre Kalulu already in the Squad. 
Zlatan also deemed this a good idea, and you don't say no to Zlatan

Chelsea exercised a one year extension in April, so he's signed through June '22.  It wasn't up to him to snub or not snub, although admittedly I would happily watch video of Olivier snubbing contract offers over and over.

Zlatan might still get him, but it won't be a free transfer.

https://twitter.com/Dan_KP/status/1400922666773659655

#thfc Breaking: Told Conte to Spurs is not happening as it stands

#thfc Told Spurs were concerned at some of Conte’s demands during talks, including his reluctance to work with young players and no offer was made

#thfc Widespread reports in Italy suggesting Conte also has concerns about Spurs’ proposal, so sounds like not enough common ground to reach a deal. More

@standardsport

https://twitter.com/Dan_KP/status/1400922666773659655

#thfc Breaking: Told Conte to Spurs is not happening as it stands

#thfc Told Spurs were concerned at some of Conte’s demands during talks, including his reluctance to work with young players and no offer was made

#thfc Widespread reports in Italy suggesting Conte also has concerns about Spurs’ proposal, so sounds like not enough common ground to reach a deal. More

@standardsport
Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

· 11m

Antonio Conte wanted to bring more than 4 staff members to Tottenham, Spurs reluctant on this point. Salary proposal difference around €3m. Investments and project to win ‘as soon as possible’, another issue. That’s why talks with Conte have stalled - no agreement.

Holy hell, imagine Conte the first time he sees the MLS roster rules?  :hot: :rant:

I think he might try and kill his agent lol

==========

[DAZN] Antonio Conte on where does he see himself in five years: "I'd like to have experiences abroad. I'd like to go to America."

The Z Machine said:
Spurs not serious about challenging.  They are content to stay a "little club" instead of mixing it up with the big boys. 
Maybe, but I don't see Conte as someone that helps them really. Feels like they didn't make enough moves to compete when their window was open a few years ago. And Mourinho was such a poor fit.

Maybe, but I don't see Conte as someone that helps them really. Feels like they didn't make enough moves to compete when their window was open a few years ago. And Mourinho was such a poor fit.
He's a quality manager with a history of winning titles.  He has managed in the Prem before so he understands some of the dynamics of the league. I certainly don't think there's a better unemployed manager out there. 

Former AC Milan Academy Player Seid Visin was found dead at 20 a few days ago. Visin was adopted from Ethiopia and played at Benevento before quitting to return home. He unfortunately died of suicide in a note that has been made public do to the nature of the reason for suicide. Visin recently had a waiter job but quit do to racism and growing racism he received. Now Former Milan Keeper Gigi Donnarumma was taken aback as they had roomed together in the Milan Academy school and were very good friends. 

Gigi Remember former acadmey player Visin

He's a quality manager with a history of winning titles.  He has managed in the Prem before so he understands some of the dynamics of the league. I certainly don't think there's a better unemployed manager out there. 
Just hard to see how Conte would leave Inter after having done the work of bringing them back to only come to a situation that is just as hard.  Conte's not going to walk into just any situation.  I think it would take a lot of incentives to get him to come to any team that isn't already a title contender.  He can just do some TV until the perfect situation opens up.

Chelsea may let Hakem Ziyech leave. Milan are on his tracks and have been admires of Hakem since his Days in the Dutch League at AJAX 

Real Madrid must really be out of money... interesting.
Seems that way.  And its going to get worse when UEFA levies some fines for staying in the ESL.

Rumors may just be deluded Chelsea fans, and the Mirror (english newspaper).  Also saw that there is 0% chance he goes to Chelsea from other rumor mills.

Real Madrid must really be out of money... interesting.
Seems that way.  And its going to get worse when UEFA levies some fines for staying in the ESL.

Rumors may just be deluded Chelsea fans, and the Mirror (english newspaper).  Also saw that there is 0% chance he goes to Chelsea from other rumor mills.
I get the sense this is pure silly season stuff. Like the Ziyech to milan rumor because tuchel doesnt rate him. (which i think is a planted seed from italy to try to leverage him away from chelsea)

I have a question. When a player like Dike is loaned out how do contracts work? He had already played a full season for Orlando. Does he play under terms of Orlando contract. Also how does this selling of players rights work. The club wants 20 million.  Does that sound right?

I have a question. When a player like Dike is loaned out how do contracts work? He had already played a full season for Orlando. Does he play under terms of Orlando contract. Also how does this selling of players rights work. The club wants 20 million.  Does that sound right?
1.  Loans - they can vary, but typically, the team that gets the player pays his wages, per his original contract.  They also often pay a fee to the original team - so Orlando presumably got a fee for Dike for this season.

2.  $20m in this market (post-covid) is probably a little steep, but it really amounts to an opening offer to sell, subject to negotiations.

Loans can also be for less than 100% of a player's wage.  The team that owns the contract might decide it's in their best interest to loan a player out to another team for a season and still pay 50% of his wages, while the team that loans him also pays 50%.  They will do this for the player to gain experience and possibly increase his value due to greater exposure.

Looks like Spurs have given up on a top manager, and are going for Eric ten Hag from Ajax.

#### knows if they will get this over the line.  He was an early favorite (after Nagelsmann and Rodgers turned them down), but then Levy chased Flick, Poch and Conte - along with talking to Potter, Parker and Klinsmann.  Now they are back in for ten Hag - I'm sure he feels honored...

Loans can also be for less than 100% of a player's wage.  The team that owns the contract might decide it's in their best interest to loan a player out to another team for a season and still pay 50% of his wages, while the team that loans him also pays 50%.  They will do this for the player to gain experience and possibly increase his value due to greater exposure.
Bale says :hey:

I am pretty sure this is how Chelsea's loan army has worked for the most part.  Many of the smaller teams that players get loaned to can't afford the wages a team like Chelsea will pay.

Looks like Spurs have given up on a top manager, and are going for Eric ten Hag from Ajax.

#### knows if they will get this over the line.  He was an early favorite (after Nagelsmann and Rodgers turned them down), but then Levy chased Flick, Poch and Conte - along with talking to Potter, Parker and Klinsmann.  Now they are back in for ten Hag - I'm sure he feels honored...
They were talking about this on Grumpy Pundits this morning.  Tommy Smith and Gary O'Reilly.  Gary mentioned Ajax extended ten Hag as soon as Jose was fired by Spurs.  His point was more about teams planning and knowing who their coach is where Spurs fired Jose, went caretaker then chased Poch and Conte.  No plan.  Ajax prepped for this by extending their coach.

They were talking about this on Grumpy Pundits this morning.  Tommy Smith and Gary O'Reilly.  Gary mentioned Ajax extended ten Hag as soon as Jose was fired by Spurs.  His point was more about teams planning and knowing who their coach is where Spurs fired Jose, went caretaker then chased Poch and Conte.  No plan.  Ajax prepped for this by extending their coach.
For better or worse, Ajax are one of the few teams that have a good relationship with Levy/Spurs.

Its still going to be cheaper than the options that showed ambition.

Spurs new DOF, Paratici will be starting soon, so we will see if the is the dawn of a new era, or the sunset of an old era.

I think Kane had until yesterday to force himself out of the club via the Webster Rule.  So, now I expect him to stay at least one more year, but if Spurs were smart, they would sell this summer to Man City, and then buy into a depressed market.

Users who are viewing this thread