What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (7 Viewers)

Not sure why they are puzzled. Conte does this routinely wherever he goes. 

PSG want Hakimi & have offered €50m for him. They could add Paredes to a deal to lower the price. The inter players are puzzled how Conte left

via Gazzetta

Here We Go 

Mike Maignan officially signs for AC Milan. The post-Donnarumma era begins

€13m + add ons to Lille with a contract until 2026, according to Fabrizio Romano

AC Milan

Allegri back to Juventus Pirlo out 

Allegri is set to join Juventus. The agreement is now imminent and Andrea Pirlo will be sacked in the next hours.

Allegri has just decided to accept because Real Madrid were still taking time after Zidane decided to leave the club.

via Fabrizio Romano

Lke I stated the other day I feel bad for Pirlo here. He was brought up to manage with zero experience. Hopefully he gets on his feet and signs for a lower level Calcio club. That or I'd love him in the Primavera at Milan coaching. 

Looks like Koeman will stay in at FCB unless Laporta can tempt Pep back. Which is....I guess OK. He elevated a lot of youth players and showed a lot of tactical flexibility. However, the team really struggled against top talent and when it mattered. He probably deserves a chance with an actual defense and #9.

cool stat

====================

Chris Smith 

@CJSmith91

Only David Beckham (4 in 2012) and Sebastian Giovinco (5 in 2015, 6 in 2017) have scored more direct free-kick goals in a single MLS season than Lucas Zelarayan (Crew) has in 2021.   And he's only played 5 games so far!

Oliver Giroud apparently has a 2 YRS contract worth 4M Euros agreed to with Milan. He's on a Bossman and free to sign whenever in July. Giroud is apparently already house hunting in Milan but the deal out of respect for Chelsea will not be made official until after the Champions league match this weekend. 

Giroud would come on as a better Veteran Ibra replacement and rotate with Ibra. Milan will apparently also look for another Strike who will be a long term fix to the CF position. Vushlavic of Fiorentina, Andrea Belotti of Torino, And Donyell Halen along with a few others have been linked to Milan. Belloti for many would be a dream because like Sandro Tonali grew up a Milan supporter and has always let his support of the club be known. 

Italian Football TV who have evolved since they started awhile back in a small garage in NYC has interviewed some amazing players over this time. They've managed to interview Fabia Cannavarro during the pandemic among other greats in football. Patrick Cutrone was another guest. Del Pero, Gussieppi Rossi are also among them

IFTV have now partnered with Serie D club Campobasso who most famously beat Juve in the 1980s. It's a club that has had numerious failed ownerships and gone to bankruptcy court numerous times. Campobasso is about an 1h and 13min southeast of where my family was from in Foggia in I had no idea this club ever existed. 

Here's IFTV on a cool doc about the club with part 2 coming soon. 

A football club they say doesn't exist

For a league that has changed its rule when ever it has been convenient this is an odd time to draw a line in the sand

============

MLS found that Miami under reported numerous salaries to squeeze everyone into the cap

MLS fines Inter Miami $2m

Miami will further lose $2.2m in salary cap money going forward

Miami owner was fined $250k

Former COO Paul McDonough suspended through the end of the 2022 season

Not a good look for Beckham to say the least.

Last edited by a moderator:
:o

============

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

MLS also found that Andres Reyes should have been a DP, too. So Inter Miami had 5 DPs, finished in 10th in the Eastern Conference and lost 3-0 to Nashville SC in the play-in round for the playoffs

For a league that has changed its rule when ever it has been convenient this is an odd time to draw a line in the sand

============

MLS found that Miami under reported numerous salaries to squeeze everyone into the cap

So MLS has to pay all of that, right? SUM and all...

But pretty shambolic work by Miami there....seems like they figured they could do what ever they wanted. And those seem like significant penalties.

============

I mentioned a few times how the Gonzo Higuian transfer was pretty shady last summer. It's ridiculous how this league only follows rules when it's convent for them. 

So MLS has to pay all of that, right? SUM and all...

But pretty shambolic work by Miami there....seems like they figured they could do what ever they wanted. And those seem like significant penalties.
This league will never be viewed as legit until BS like this stops. Then again this is kind of similar to UEFA/FIFA shenanigans so MLS is in good company there  

So MLS has to pay all of that, right? SUM and all....
I don't understand your question.  Miami has to pay to MLS, not the other way around.  This has nothing to do with the marketing arm.

In the old days this would never would have happen as everything was controlled centrally but the teams are all almost completely autonomous now.  And when that happens, corruption is not far behind.

Sadly, the more MLS becomes like other leagues the more corruption will seep in as teams try and cheat in any ways they can.

Also, I’ve had the opportunity to meet Adrian Healey and his family several times, including this week when we did a live “Soccer 101” event together aimed at new Austin FC fans. He’s as kind a person as he is an incredible announcer. Blessed to have him doing our local broadcasts.

Also, I’ve had the opportunity to meet Adrian Healey and his family several times, including this week when we did a live “Soccer 101” event together aimed at new Austin FC fans. He’s as kind a person as he is an incredible announcer. Blessed to have him doing our local broadcasts.
I still remember him from WAAAAY back when he was a radio dj here in the Boston area before moving on to call Revolution games.

He is the perfect blend of a British announcer who has a crap ton of US domestic soccer knowledge.

Can now Proudly say I watched a young American kid play live who is now a Champions League winner in Cristian Pulusic!!!!! I can't stand both teams and hopefully CP goes to a team I can easily root for one day like when he was at Dortmund. But today is a very good day for American Soccer world wide. Got to meet Pulusic and his family a few yrs back when USMNT played a match at the Link. Can't remember if it was a Gold Cup Tourney or friendly or who we played. I just remember what a down to earth person he was and grateful for the fans especially the Philly crowd that he considers his home. His family are fantastic people with his parents I can imagine being on Cloud 9 right now. 

I had a half drunk conversation about Mexican club soccer with two Mexican guys at a swim up bar here in Playa del Carmen.  Didn't get into the international  teams, but they didn't give the US any disrespect.  AMLO on the other hand...

I had a half drunk conversation about Mexican club soccer with two Mexican guys at a swim up bar here in Playa del Carmen.  Didn't get into the international  teams, but they didn't give the US any disrespect.  AMLO on the other hand...
Not surprised they hate everything about the US when it comes to soccer. Also I'm sure the political landscape of the last 4 yrs doesn't help either 

El Floppo said:
Hey guys...it's ok- Japan managed to get by Myanmar today in wcq.
In other Asian qualifying news, North Korea withdrew from qualifying due to COVID concerns.  I know it's a big blow to the entire sport.

(if I missed someone saying this earlier, apologies for the Honda)

This was really enjoyable and shambolic.  Here is a fabulous compilation of the worst goals of the season across the world.  Ranging from typical own goals to some really impossible to imagine situations.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/noa55f/the_worst_goals_of_the_20202021_season_compilation/
if you want to watch only 1, watch the one at 11:05 (this is the very end of the previous clip).  It is so brilliant from beginning to end (listen with sound for initial scream and then the color announcer while the play was happening)  :lmao:

Milan made the Tomori signing permanent today according to multiple reports in Italy. It was one of those moves that won't surprise many. 

Milan so Far Mercado

In 

Tomori

Maignan 

Caldara (end of load)

Conti (End of Loan)

Laxalt (End of Loan)

Columbo (End of Loan)

Conti (End of Loan)

Bresiciani (End of Loan)

Departures:

Antonio and Gigi Donnarumma (End of Contract)

Hakan Chanoglu (Rumored out)

Alessio Romanogli (Rumored transfer listed)

The poor Copa America this year.......................

==============

Tim Vickery

@Tim_Vickery

Brazil's Chief of Staff now says the Copa America is not yet confirmed. The soap opera goes on....

[VenêCasagrande] At least seven Brazilian states refuse to host any Copa América game as they don't think the competition should happen.

I think TAA’s crossing is superior and his set piece capability offset what James brings.  Just MO.  I’m not saying James shouldn’t be on the team - I just really like Arnold’s game.
Hearing that TAA will be left out of the side with James, Walker and Tripier set to be named.  I still think it’s a mistake but it’s not egregious or anything.   

Greenwood pulled out of the squad due to injury. 

Wish Rashford had too.  He has been slowed by them and reportedly needs surgery after the Euros.  

Users who are viewing this thread