What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (6 Viewers)

Somewhat related question, anyone have a good backyard soccer goal that they like?  Our old one was in bad shape so got rid of it last year.  8x24 would be nice but not sure if too big for yard, maybe 12x6?  Would like something somewhat sturdy but movable for mowing and not crazy expensive.  You guys have anything that you'd recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:
MILAN - FC Internazionale Milano can confirm that an agreement has been reached with Antonio Conte for the termination of his contract by mutual consent. The Club would like to thank Antonio for the extraordinary work that he has done, culminating in Inter’s 19th top-flight title. Antonio Conte will forever remain a part of our Club’s history.

I don't get why these teams won't back down.  The financial picture must be even more dire that what has been said.

================

UEFA statement: “Following an investigation conducted by UEFA Ethics and Disciplinary Inspectors in connection with the so-called ‘Super League’ project, disciplinary proceedings have been opened against Real, Barça & Juventus for a potential violation of UEFA’s legal framework”
Because at its heart, this is really a FIFA vs UEFA kerfuffle and they've made a bet on the FIFA side.  

Somewhat related question, anyone have a good backyard soccer goal that they like?  Our old one was in bad shape so got rid of it last year.  8x24 would be nice but not sure if too big for yard, maybe 12x6?  Would like something somewhat sturdy but movable for mowing and not crazy expensive.  You guys have anything that you'd recommend?
It looks like you're going for more official sized goals, so maybe typically playing with goal keepers and 8-10 players or more?  For our yard, the 6' Pugg pop-up goals are great.  We got some barely used ones on craigslist years ago.

This is interesting

==================

Uefa is to consider scrapping the away goals rule for its European competitions 56 years after it was first introduced.

The rule — first brought into European competitions in 1965 — is used in the Champions League and Europa League when the score of a two-legged match is level on aggregate after 180 minutes of play with the team who has scored more away goals going through.

There is a growing feeling however that the rule is outdated and a move to scrap it will be considered at Friday’s meeting of Uefa’s club competitions committee in Porto ahead of the Champions League final. If there is enough support to abolish it then Uefa will look to start the process to change the rule.

MILAN - FC Internazionale Milano can confirm that an agreement has been reached with Antonio Conte for the termination of his contract by mutual consent. The Club would like to thank Antonio for the extraordinary work that he has done, culminating in Inter’s 19th top-flight title. Antonio Conte will forever remain a part of our Club’s history.
This is crazy. Its troubling what is happening in this game.

That’s what Conte does.  He wins titles and moves on. :shrug:   now can we concentrate on the biggest game of the year which is about to kick off?   

I think you have to take things like this with a grain of salt in today's world.  I doubt Inter is in the same financial situation without COVID.  Things are gonna look a little different for a couple of years, but things should look better after fans are back and teams resume their regular revenue streams.

Conte is a winner and not cancerous like Mou.
Not without his issues though. He's ended several manager jobs on bad terms.

Speaking of Conte and Mourinho - that was honestly fantastic when they were both in England.  Conte calling Jose a "little man" repeatedly in one interview and saying he is senile; Jose calling Conte a "clown" and joking about Conte's hairpiece.

I think you have to take things like this with a grain of salt in today's world.  I doubt Inter is in the same financial situation without COVID.  Things are gonna look a little different for a couple of years, but things should look better after fans are back and teams resume their regular revenue streams.
Inter’s financial distress is not directly related to COVID  - I think their Chinese owners have financial stress that is impacting Inter. 

Probably the moves that make most sense for all clubs:

Conte -> Real Madrid

Zidane -> PSG

Poch -> Spurs
Are you just wanting Pooch back or is PSG ready to give up on him already?  I still think he’s a quality manager and I think he’s better than Ole (for example).

It looks like you're going for more official sized goals, so maybe typically playing with goal keepers and 8-10 players or more?  For our yard, the 6' Pugg pop-up goals are great.  We got some barely used ones on craigslist years ago.
We have some nice small popups for small sided games but my 13yo son wants to work on his free kicks and finishing so looking for something more like what he'll be using in games.

Are you just wanting Pooch back or is PSG ready to give up on him already?  I still think he’s a quality manager and I think he’s better than Ole (for example).
I want Poch and he has been talking to Spurs about returning. 

I’d rather have Conte, but I could see him want RM if Zidane left. 

We'll see.  Italian clubs weren't that fine even before COVID and their new deal with DAZN for domestic rights doesn't give them much more (if any additional funds)....

Inter’s financial distress is not directly related to COVID  - I think their Chinese owners have financial stress that is impacting Inter. 
I know some of Suning's problems were self made or were caused by government getting involved, but the pandemic HAS to have affected their business as much as any other issues have.

This is interesting

==================

Uefa is to consider scrapping the away goals rule for its European competitions 56 years after it was first introduced.

The rule — first brought into European competitions in 1965 — is used in the Champions League and Europa League when the score of a two-legged match is level on aggregate after 180 minutes of play with the team who has scored more away goals going through.

There is a growing feeling however that the rule is outdated and a move to scrap it will be considered at Friday’s meeting of Uefa’s club competitions committee in Porto ahead of the Champions League final. If there is enough support to abolish it then Uefa will look to start the process to change the rule.
I must be the only one left who likes the away goal rule

Because at its heart, this is really a FIFA vs UEFA kerfuffle and they've made a bet on the FIFA side.  
IMO, FIFA has already lost and lost big. 

This simply can not work with out the English teams no matter what FIFA says and there is no way in hell any English clubs will attempt a pure break away league again in the next ten years after that major kerfuffle.

I think the English clubs played it perfectly.  They put their hand in the cookie jar, it got nearly cut off, they pulled back and said "I am sorry" and now will simply wait patiently until UEFA unveils their own version of the Super League in the next 5 years that has every ones backing.

I don't see any end game for the remaining 3 teams that are holding out.   FIFA is absolutely toothless in this specific issue, which is why they even went to the lengths to use code names in the official Super League documents to try and hide their involvement. 

If FIFA had even the remotest clout for the Super League, they would have been front and center, instead of hiding behind the curtain like the Great Oz.

If FIFA had even the remotest clout for the Super League, they would have been front and center, instead of hiding behind the curtain like the Great Oz.
Pretty sad that you have to pull for UEFA on this...

Oh, BTW, UEFA refunded my € for my EURO 2020 tickets.  I didn't win the lottery for the seats at Wembley for the ENG/CRO match.  I think they will be at 25% capacity.

I’m mostly ok with it except when you have an ET away goal eliminate a team - especially in a scenario where the team at home in the 2nd leg was supposed to be “rewarded”.
Agreed that ET goals shouldn't count as away, but otherwise love the rule.  Beats extra time or a shootout and (IMO).

IMO, FIFA has already lost and lost big. 

This simply can not work with out the English teams no matter what FIFA says and there is no way in hell any English clubs will attempt a pure break away league again in the next ten years after that major kerfuffle.

I think the English clubs played it perfectly.  They put their hand in the cookie jar, it got nearly cut off, they pulled back and said "I am sorry" and now will simply wait patiently until UEFA unveils their own version of the Super League in the next 5 years that has every ones backing.

I don't see any end game for the remaining 3 teams that are holding out.   FIFA is absolutely toothless in this specific issue, which is why they even went to the lengths to use code names in the official Super League documents to try and hide their involvement. 

We'll see...this is just the first salvo.  The bigger salvo is the WC every two years which effectively takes money from UEFA and reallocates it to the rest of the world.  Granted the Euro's could move to off-years even then, but they loose their luster.  

Exclusive. Zinedine Zidane has decided to LEAVE Real Madrid with immediate effect. ⚪🚨 #RealMadrid #Zidane

per fabrizio romano
Things moving quickly - Allegri to Madrid

Rumors heating up on Spurs forums that a manager has been signed.  Sounds like it is probably Conte.

But, rumors are also out there that Poch's job is not secure at PSG at the moment. 

Conte apparently out at Inter.

:oldunsure:

Spurs have done so well with previous Chelsea managers....why not another?
Conte does this every so many yrs. He'll have some success make some demands and then when said demands aren't meant he'll threaten to leave. I guess Cote decided he had enough of Inter and empty promises. Theres some speculation amongst Calcio that Conte left as he knows Inter's Owners Chineese Suining is in bigger financial trouble then whats been led on. Also lukaku and Conte are really close and one of the only reasons he went to inter was Conte. So now there's speculation if Lukaku ask's for out

What happened with Conte? 
Inter's Ownership is bankrupt. China also told all big companies to stop any big foreign financial and economical transactions outside of the country. There's rumors that Inter have yet to pay Lukaku transfer in full and may not be able too as well. There's also been speculation that Inter may not be able to afford to pay player wages too. It's a mess. There's some rumblings if Inter can't pay the player and coaching wages Serie A might dock them Points that would strip the Scudetto from them as well, but we haven't gotten nearly that far yet. 

Short answer Suining the Owners need to sell the club and fast before Inter goes into a tailspin. There's a vulture financial group who would takeover if Suining can't pay similar to the Milan situation when Elliot took over If I had read correctly recently. 

Fifa and UEFA did nothing to really solve and protect club owners from themselves. This is one of the good things the Super League wanted to incorporate that their economical ruling would protect clubs from themselves. The bigger issue is you don't get into owning a football club to make money. If you do, then you clearly have no idea how soccer works from a financial standpoint.  Big clubs pay huge fees to take younger players and ok with paying agent fees. Lets take Paul Pogba and Mino Rialo for example. He went to ManU and they paid a huge fee for him plus a huge commission to Riola. That started a downward spiral of bigger transfer and agent commissions. This is why Gigi Donnarumma will not be Milan's Keeper next year because of this. 

I don't blame the smaller clubs for accepting these transfers. Some of these fees probably have helped a few small clubs stay afloat for yrs. I blame owners of the big clubs like PSG/Barca/RM/Juve and the big 6 in the EPL for accepting to pay these transfers and commissions. They expect to win at all cost. It took a pandemic to really knock some ownerships back down to reality. 

Also FIFA Financial Fair Play has never worked. Way too many loopholes and they picked and chose who had to follow the rules. This is why Milan and Inter chose to join the Super League. Despite Milan working with FIFA to get out of the red and balance the books Fifa continued to Sh** in their hand while allowing other clubs to break rules. FIFA only put a band aid on the big issue, never closed the loop holes and gave special treatment to certain clubs. FFP has been a financial catastrophe and bust in general 

They were having issues before Covid. The Chineese Government has some impact on this as they told Companies to stop big financial investments outside the country. 

We'll see.  Italian clubs weren't that fine even before COVID and their new deal with DAZN for domestic rights doesn't give them much more (if any additional funds)....
If Inter and Milan can get their New stadium and Inter fix their ownership issues both those clubs would be in a lot better shape. 

Exclusive. Zinedine Zidane has decided to LEAVE Real Madrid with immediate effect. ⚪🚨 #RealMadrid #Zidane

per fabrizio romano
Good news for Milan and Diaz depending on the new manager at Madrid. Brahim wants to stay at Milan and they want him. Depending if he has a future with the new manager or not Milan might ask for another loan with Option to buy this time around. 

Just saw that Donamurra is out....is that true?
Yes we can thank Mino Rialo. There's talk he's going to Juve or Barca as they are offering 10M a year and big commission to Mino. This is what I was talking about above why some of these clubs are in terrible financial shape. 

Maldini announced he was leaving today which is why they Signed Mike Mangnian. I hate it because I think GIGI is getting horrible advise from people. Rumor from Di Marzio Maldini tried to get GIGI to stay and he told Paolo "I listen to what Mino tells me to do." He's a great kid and he's been a fantastic leader but he really needs better advisor and mentorship and get a better agent. Guys like Rialo I can't respect. After the Bryce Harper signing with the Phillies and Bryce praising Scott Boras doing what Harper wanted (He wanted 10 yrs with a full no trade clause and wanted it to be his last contract for good), I got a new found respect for the guy. Thats how its suppose to be done. Player tells agent his preferences and agent does the leg work and negotiating to get them there. Asks said player if this is good and if so lets get this done. No push or shove or agent telling the player he knows whats best. 

Also saw gattuso is taking over at Napoli. Because #### that guy.

Eta....Fiorentina. because #### me for remembering anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rumors heating up on Spurs forums that a manager has been signed.  Sounds like it is probably Conte.

But, rumors are also out there that Poch's job is not secure at PSG at the moment. 
Inter in talks  Simone Inzaghi & Allegri (who is negotiating a contract with Juventus) according to Di Marzio

Zidane is also rumored to be Juve's coach if Pirlo were to leave

The Managing carousel in World Football is hot right now 

https://sempremilan.com/watch-amazing-gopro-footage-of-milans-post-game-celebrations-our-home

Look out for the Poalo Maldini coming into celebrate out of nowhere. I was laughing so hard

The Rossoneri have set a new all-time record for away wins in a Serie A season: 16 – no side has ever done better in Europe’s ‘top five’ leagues in a single campaign (16 also for Real Madrid 2011-12 and Manchester City 2017-18).

Milan also beat all 19 other Serie A Clubs for the first time since the 1961-62 campaign

Users who are viewing this thread