What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

PSG had to do something to keep up with Lille.
Yeah, I figured Donnarumma on a free was probably enough to keep up.

Then adding Hakimi, probably made PSG a slight favorite.

Winjaldum and Ramos - just a little extra depth for the domestic cups.

This Messi kid though, that could be the key - all depends on how he adapts to the new league, and playing with all of his big-name teammates.

I just didn't watch enough of him last year (didn't watch many non-Liverpool matches in general), but is the Grealish hype deserved? What is it about him that's so good?

I know I can go back and watch some highlights of him (and probably will), but is he this legit?

I just didn't watch enough of him last year (didn't watch many non-Liverpool matches in general), but is the Grealish hype deserved? What is it about him that's so good?

I know I can go back and watch some highlights of him (and probably will), but is he this legit?
He's always been really good. He's developed into kind of a D Silva/Hazard mix of abilities as a pretty pure 10- great skills off the dribble, pass and shot. Plus, those calves

so ESPN finally wrangles La Liga TV rights away from beIn Sports.  Messi no doubt was a huge driver of ESPN’s interest.  Messi leaves Barca for PSG in Ligue 1, whose TV rights are owned by.....bein sports 

I think CBS is the big winner here - they still hold Champions League rights, correct?

Nobody is going to watch Ligue 1, but PSG will be must-watch TV when the knock out stages begin next spring.  

He has excellent skill but I think he is going to drive Pep crazy.  You don't become the most fouled player in the EPL by playing quick passes and interchanging.  

I am curious how he fits.  Seems to have been playing more on the left.  I am guessing he replaces Sterling with Foden on the opposite side.  You aren't taking of KDB for Graelish.  With no pure striker anymore (jesus?) there are no run in behind attacking types.  

He's always been really good. He's developed into kind of a D Silva/Hazard mix of abilities as a pretty pure 10- great skills off the dribble, pass and shot. Plus, those calves

:wub:

Not sure how he gets away with shinguards smaller than AYSO U6 players....

Does anyone have a good link to who owns what in terms of broadcast right? Looking to make sure my subscriptions are in order 

Does anyone have a good link to who owns what in terms of broadcast right? Looking to make sure my subscriptions are in order 
Original link

1) Peacock -- $49.99/year (or $4.99/month) -- Gets you EPL

2) Paramount+ -- $49.99/year (or $4.99/month) -- Gets you Serie A and UEFA Champions League/Europa League plus NWSL, Argentina's Primera Division, WCQ, and Brasileirao League

3) ESPN+ -- $59.99/year (or $5.99/month) -- (It's included with Verizon unlimited plans FYI) -- La Liga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, English Championship

So, for $100 for the year ($160 if you don't have Verizon) should be covered with everything. Our YouTubeTV has NBCSports and Fox Sports to cover everything else.

ETA -- For ESPN+, there's the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle. This is actually what is included with Verizon. If you don't have them but may have Disney, then look at the bundle as it should save you $. 

As the typical Spurs fan loves to thump their chests about how they won the transfer season, yet again, I think they'll be hard pressed to top PSG's transfers this year:

Achraf Hakimi (£54m)

Gianluigi Donnarumma (free)

Leo Messi (free)

Sergio Ramos (free)

Gini Wijnaldum (free)

And sure that's a lot of wages there, but ffs, ManCity throwing around crazy money as well.  Stones is second highest paid CB in league and Grealish is now the highest paid English soccer player, ever. :loco:
UEFA and FFP should probably start some investigations here on these clubs then 

2) Paramount+ -- $49.99/year (or $4.99/month) -- Gets you Serie A and UEFA Champions League/Europa League plus NWSL, Argentina's Primera Division, WCQ, and Brasileirao League

For US fans, part of those WCQ's are 6 away games that US will play in the Ocho (I think ESPN/Fox still has the rights to the Mexico away game but I am not sure).

What's this now?  Are we going to be able to see the 9/2 first qualifier in ELS?
Sure, with Paramount+...  which is my point.  All our WCQs should be mainstream.  FFS, we're a Top 10 team!

I still have bad memories of watching 'wet and bumpy' on an iPad in my home office while also being mad about having to watch it on an iPad and also mad because of the game...  

As the typical Spurs fan loves to thump their chests about how they won the transfer season, yet again, I think they'll be hard pressed to top PSG's transfers this year:

Achraf Hakimi (£54m)

Gianluigi Donnarumma (free)

Leo Messi (free)

Sergio Ramos (free)

Gini Wijnaldum (free)

And sure that's a lot of wages there, but ffs, ManCity throwing around crazy money as well.  Stones is second highest paid CB in league and Grealish is now the highest paid English soccer player, ever. :loco:
Pretty sure the massive Neymar and Mbappe transfer fees are probably almost off the books by now as well. I thought I remembered some weird fancy pants scheme where Neymar's salary was largely linked to him being a goodwill ambassador for Qatar's World Cup when he transferred, and I can't recall whether they were forced to get him without the off the books shenanigans.  

Pretty sure the massive Neymar and Mbappe transfer fees are probably almost off the books by now as well. I thought I remembered some weird fancy pants scheme where Neymar's salary was largely linked to him being a goodwill ambassador for Qatar's World Cup when he transferred, and I can't recall whether they were forced to get him without the off the books shenanigans.  
My memory is a little fuzzy - but I think the "Ambassador" job was sufficient for Neymar to cut a check to Barça to cover his contract buy-out - which had to be paid by the player himself.

I think its possible that PSG technically signed Neymar on a free transfer.

I wonder how much of that is him and how much is him playing on a team with lesser talent and forced into needing to do much more with the ball. 
That is a good question.  Saw shades of his normal dribble into fouls in the Euros as well.  Can he cut it down and play Pep style?  We'll see.  

Dest linked to a different top team every day. From Bayern to Arsenal to even some lower league teams like Milan and Arsenal.
Fixed

#Mbappe2021

Sure, with Paramount+...  which is my point.  All our WCQs should be mainstream.  FFS, we're a Top 10 team!

I still have bad memories of watching 'wet and bumpy' on an iPad in my home office while also being mad about having to watch it on an iPad and also mad because of the game...  
In case people don’t know, the away qualifiers are not controlled by US Soccer. They are controlled by Concacaf and they have never cared about where they are shown on US tv.

I am hoping that CBSSN will be showing the games along with paramount+. 

Any good reads for an EPL preview? I can guess who is probably near the top and bottom of the table but the middle is quite muddled.

SAINTS have reportedly recieved a bid worth up to £15m from Leicester City for centre-back Jannik Vestergaard. 

The Athletic report goes on to detail how the club have not yet accepted the offer and are holding out for something worth up to £18m.

Lukaku is in London to sign with Chelsea.

If Kane is going to City - this should be the catalyst.  City could well fall behind Chelsea in the local arms race, after already falling behind PSG in the global arms race.

Lukaku is in London to sign with Chelsea.

If Kane is going to City - this should be the catalyst.  City could well fall behind Chelsea in the local arms race, after already falling behind PSG in the global arms race.
Will be fun to see how the top 4 plays out with all eyes on City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea....

Chelsea's issues last seasons seemingly was coaching and goal scoring.  Tuechel came in and improved one, Lukaku should come in and change the other.

United's big issues was conceding goals and breaking down low blocks.  Varane and the new set piece coach should help with the first.  Sancho and the switch to a 4-3-3 should help the other.

Liverpool had a long injury list including their main man in VVD.  Getting VVD back and a healthy Jota, helps all aspects, but what else have they done?  

City bring in Graelish.  How does he fit in?  Sterling, Bernardo Silva and La Porte all seemingly want out.  Do they go for Kane? If not, what formation and who are they looking to for goals?

Beyond that:

Does Leicester continue to flirt with the top 4?
Is Arteta the man to lead Arsenal? Does Lacazette stay and does Aub rebound?
Does Kane actually leave Spurs? Does the Europa Conf League cause a dip in league form?
Can West Ham build on last years success (BUY LINGARD PLEASE)
Everton... forever a top 7 tease....

Will be fun to see how the top 4 plays out with all eyes on City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea....

Chelsea's issues last seasons seemingly was coaching and goal scoring.  Tuechel came in and improved one, Lukaku should come in and change the other.

United's big issues was conceding goals and breaking down low blocks.  Varane and the new set piece coach should help with the first.  Sancho and the switch to a 4-3-3 should help the other.

Liverpool had a long injury list including their main man in VVD.  Getting VVD back and a healthy Jota, helps all aspects, but what else have they done?  

City bring in Graelish.  How does he fit in?  Sterling, Bernardo Silva and La Porte all seemingly want out.  Do they go for Kane? If not, what formation and who are they looking to for goals?

Beyond that:

Does Leicester continue to flirt with the top 4?
Is Arteta the man to lead Arsenal? Does Lacazette stay and does Aub rebound?
Does Kane actually leave Spurs? Does the Europa Conf League cause a dip in league form?
Can West Ham build on last years success (BUY LINGARD PLEASE)
Everton... forever a top 7 tease....

Who's Champion's league spot will Leeds take?
fixed

They got him as Neymar paid his own release clause or some part of the transfer at the time. It was some loophole scheme that allowed them because I remember reading back then the full transfer PSG couldn't do on their own as it would've been illegal. 

Any good reads for an EPL preview? I can guess who is probably near the top and bottom of the table but the middle is quite muddled.
Here's the preview you need and @McBokonon can agree with it. The Big 6 in the EPL are a bunch of corrupt hypocrites D-bags who blocked Newcastle United from a legal sell to someone since they didn't want anymore competition and why all 6 EPL clubs tried to help create the SuperLeague. One of the 6 will win the League, someone will find out their teammate is shagging their wife or GF, big name coach will be sacked mid season, Spurs still won't win anything, Mike Ashley will be cheaper then ever. 

Here's the preview you need and @McBokonon can agree with it. The Big 6 in the EPL are a bunch of corrupt hypocrites D-bags who blocked Newcastle United from a legal sell to someone since they didn't want anymore competition and why all 6 EPL clubs tried to help create the SuperLeague. One of the 6 will win the League, someone will find out their teammate is shagging their wife or GF, big name coach will be sacked mid season, Spurs still won't win anything, Mike Ashley will be cheaper then ever. 
6?

So after Chelsea, both Manchester squads and Liverpool,  you have Leicester and who else?

Users who are viewing this thread