What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Spurs have their best chance to win group in a long time. Even on their run to the Final a few years back, they came second in group to Barça.

Bayern, Barça, and Inter together should be fun but one of those is better than the rest... and Lewa doesn't play for them anymore.

Good draw for Atlético. Glad they won't have terrible travel distances.

yikes

=================

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang was assaulted as an armed gang equipped with iron bars targeted the Barcelona striker's house on Monday, the club have confirmed.

Aubameyang and his wife were handcuffed and tied up for a sustained period during the burglary, although club sources say neither suffered serious injuries.

The thieves broke into Aubameyang's home just outside of Barcelona in Castelldefels, where he lives with his wife and two children, in the early hours of Monday morning.

The house is about 200 metres away from properties still owned by ex-Barca stars Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez, who both use private security firms to safeguard their homes.

Aubameyang, 33, had just returned home from Barca's 4-0 win against Real Valladolid on Sunday, where he was an unused substitute.

Sources confirmed the gang forced him to open a safe that contained jewelry, among other expensive items, which they took.

The gang have not yet been caught, according to police sources.

Just last week, Aubameyang's teammate Robert Lewandowski had his watch, worth €70,000, stolen from his car as he arrived for training at Barca's Ciutat Esportiva base.

I mean, I don't even know where to start.... :lmao:

======

https://twitter.com/GFFN
Get French Football News
@GFFN

Kylian Mbappé & his entourage are “keeping a close eye from a distance” on the Paul Pogba affair - if video evidence emerges of Pogba using a witch doctor to curse Mbappé, L’Équipe believe that there may be a problem between Pogba & Mbappé & Deschamps may have to make a decision.
Read today that Pogba told investigators he had hired a witch doctor, but only to protect him from injury, not to curse Mbappe. I ****ing love this sport.

Four of the last five World Cup winners haven't gotten out of the ensuing group stage, I think I read this past week (feel free to correct). Is France looking at another 2010-like meltdown?

I was not emotionally prepared for witch doctors being a factor this cycle. :lmao:

Four of the last five World Cup winners haven't gotten out of the ensuing group stage, I think I read this past week (feel free to correct). Is France looking at another 2010-like meltdown?

I was not emotionally prepared for witch doctors being a factor this cycle. :lmao:

I could see a scenario where Denmark takes the group but I just don't see how France doesn't progress out of the group with Australia and Tunisia being the other 2.

DEADLINE MADNESS!!!

DaveOCKOP@DaveOCKOP
Moises Caicedo has casually decided to follow the Liverpool squad and Arthur on Instagram with a couple of hours to go in the transfer window.

Anfield Edition@AnfieldEdition
Moises Caicedo has followed a load of Liverpool players on Instagram and liked Arthur’s goodbye video.

Watch LFC@Watch_LFC
So rumours flying around Liverpool are trying to sign Moisés Caicedo in the last few hours of the window.

Coincidentally, Caicedo has decided to remove Brighton from his Instagram BIO tonight…

Bamba Dieng was set to leave Marseille for Leeds. Was in a private jet at the airport to go to England when OGC Nice hijacked the deal and Dieng rebuffed Leeds and chose Nice instead. Then he flew to Nice, failed his physical, and now he’s back at Marseille.

One of the all time great soccer factories. It would be interesting to see how they could have done these past 20 years if they did not sell every asset at every opportunity and instead tried to build their best team for Champions League play.
=====================

ESPN FC

@ESPNFC

Ajax lost half of their first team and their manager over the summer. They’re currently top of the table with a 100% win record this season. Incredible effort

Graham Potter apparently on the short list to replace Tuechel.

Which is a bummer. I'd been hoping Liverpool might be able to go after him in a couple years. Love the guys who do a lot with a little at multiple smaller clubs.

What a crazy morning already.

If you are Graham Potter do you leave or do you see how far you can take this Brighton Team?

If you are Graham Potter do you leave or do you see how far you can take this Brighton Team?
Hard to see him staying. Chelsea will offer him unlimited resources and likely 2-3 times the salary.

When you get huge opportunities in life, it's best to jump on them. That said, it's gotta be pretty fun to be Brighton's coach right now.

Hard to see him staying. Chelsea will offer him unlimited resources and likely 2-3 times the salary.

When you get huge opportunities in life, it's best to jump on them. That said, it's gotta be pretty fun to be Brighton's coach right now.
While I agree with you... Potter is the frontrunner to be the next coach for 3Lions after the WC this year. So, would he rather be England NT coach or Chelsea? That may be the actual question.

While I agree with you... Potter is the frontrunner to be the next coach for 3Lions after the WC this year. So, would he rather be England NT coach or Chelsea? That may be the actual question.

Seems like there would be plenty of time for him to coach the national team later. I think if Chelsea offers you have to take it - I hate it for B&H but it's kind of a no-brainer.

Which is a bummer. I'd been hoping Liverpool might be able to go after him in a couple years. Love the guys who do a lot with a little at multiple smaller clubs.

He was probably never going to make it to Christmas in Brighton anyway, but I didn’t think Chelsea would be the landing spot.

I personally don’t think the ‘doing a lot with a little’ model necessarily translates well to a big club, Jose being one prominent exception. I’m certainly forgetting others, but I think its rare when that approach works. For me, it’s a rash, knee-jerk move by the new owners but obviously I’ve got no clue what went on between manager and owner in this case.

He was probably never going to make it to Christmas in Brighton anyway, but I didn’t think Chelsea would be the landing spot.

I personally don’t think the ‘doing a lot with a little’ model necessarily translates well to a big club, Jose being one prominent exception. I’m certainly forgetting others, but I think its rare when that approach works. For me, it’s a rash, knee-jerk move by the new owners but obviously I’ve got no clue what went on between manager and owner in this case.
Some of the news I've read though makes me think this wasn't a knee jerk reaction. From what the reports are saying, 3 of Brighton's back room staff are coming over as well, including their top recruitment guy. Given that Chelsea let head scout Scott McLachlan go last week and Petr Cech go 2 weeks ago, it seems like the way was being prepared.

Still kind of shocking they would buy Auba for TT and give him one half with Tuchel before letting the gaffer go though.

Some of the news I've read though makes me think this wasn't a knee jerk reaction. From what the reports are saying, 3 of Brighton's back room staff are coming over as well, including their top recruitment guy. Given that Chelsea let head scout Scott McLachlan go last week and Petr Cech go 2 weeks ago, it seems like the way was being prepared.

Still kind of shocking they would buy Auba for TT and give him one half with Tuchel before letting the gaffer go though.

I agree its probably not "knee jerk" like I said yesterday. The official word is this decision was made some time ago, as is the common refrain after a sacking. But it does seem the ownership has had quite a bit of dealings with Brighton since buying the club - one big purchase by Chelsea and two good young players going the other way in Colwill and Gilmour. I just never trust the idea that a manger and staff from a small club, scrappy overachieving situation can apply that methodology to a group of egomaniac superstars on the big stage. The past 20 years I've accepted the Chelsea manager will change every couple years no matter the results, but thought maybe the new regime might have a different approach. Maybe that's still possible.

I personally don’t think the ‘doing a lot with a little’ model necessarily translates well to a big club, Jose being one prominent exception.
Jose. Ferguson too. Klopp somewhat (Mainz and Dortmund both had their best spells under him). That's really what I meant -- just guys who aren't winning because they bought the best players on the planet every year.

Potter took a 3rd or 4th division Norwegian(?) side to the UEFA Cup group stage once upon a time. And has turned BH&A into a really good team. Some guys can just coach.

I agree that quiet unassuming types (Potter?) may not have the personality to handle the bright lights and big egos though (SAF, Jose, Klopp certainly do). It has to be exhausting if it's not in your DNA. Maybe that's requirement A instead of requirement B if you're at Real, PSG, Chelsea, etc?

I agree its probably not "knee jerk" like I said yesterday. The official word is this decision was made some time ago, as is the common refrain after a sacking. But it does seem the ownership has had quite a bit of dealings with Brighton since buying the club - one big purchase by Chelsea and two good young players going the other way in Colwill and Gilmour. I just never trust the idea that a manger and staff from a small club, scrappy overachieving situation can apply that methodology to a group of egomaniac superstars on the big stage. The past 20 years I've accepted the Chelsea manager will change every couple years no matter the results, but thought maybe the new regime might have a different approach. Maybe that's still possible.
I am sure that there's a large part of PR washing going on with the board trying to make themselves look better. I've seen a lot of articles with quotes by Tuchel's agent trying to paint Boehly and co as incompetent too. I think the truth is likely somewhere in the middle. Tuchel's last 25 games were way worse than Lampard's last 25 games, so him getting the pink slip by Chelsea isn't that surprising IMO. I think if Roman were still owner that most Chelsea fans would've expected it and acknowledged that it was their MO.

Potter did sign a 5 year contract though, so maybe Boehly does plan on having a longer leash going forward? I do think he's a good coach, but I can understand the skepticism of dealing with egos... which admittedly he's never had to do before.

I understand that hiring mistakes happen. I also understand that relegation fears or threats to a big club's chances at European play are real things. But I still think the hook generally comes way too quickly in the Prem. How do you ever build a system?

Like Cletius, however, I also realize how little definitive inside information I really have.

Obviously the new American owners of Chelsea were just as unhappy as all of you with the lack of playing time for CP. I have NO doubt Potter will be instructed to play CP every game.

PL games this weekend officially postponed. Official Statement.

The Queen's funeral is assumed to be next Saturday. If that is the case then games are doubtful for that day as well. I wonder if they could logistically play all 10 PL games on Sunday (Sept 18). If not there will be no more games PL until October 1 due to the international break.

I believe European competitions will still occur in the upcoming week.

PL games this weekend officially postponed. Official Statement.

The Queen's funeral is assumed to be next Saturday. If that is the case then games are doubtful for that day as well. I wonder if they could logistically play all 10 PL games on Sunday (Sept 18). If not there will be no more games PL until October 1 due to the international break.

I believe European competitions will still occur in the upcoming week.
I was looking forward to that City much too. Terribly inconvenient, this Queen's passing. 🇬🇧

======
The trophy for the greatest club team in the world could be lifted on American soil. According to Spanish outlet AS, the United States is “a serious candidate” to serve as hosts for the next FIFA Club World Cup.

Because of the 2022 FIFA World Cup taking place in November and December, if the Club World Cup takes place, the targeted dates are February 6-12, 2023. The tournament involves the champions of every FIFA confederation plus the winner of the host nation’s domestic league.

That would mean that Major League Soccer could have two representatives for the first time ever at the Club World Cup. The Seattle Sounders became just the 3rd MLS team to win a Concacaf confederational trophy when they won the Concacaf Champions League in May. Should the United States host the Club World Cup, this year’s MLS Cup champions would also book a trip to the tournament.

AS reports that Abu Dhabi and China were also under consideration to host the tournament, but that FIFA couldn’t reach an agreement with either, which put the focus onto the United States. The matches would likely be played at a NFL stadium that could allow for huge crowds.

PL games will resume this weekend, but 3 of the games will be postponed due to logistical/police issues. No, it doesn't seem to make sense.

Matches postponed on Sunday 18 September are Chelsea’s matches against Liverpool at Stamford Bridge, and Manchester United’s home match v Leeds United.

Brighton & Hove Albion’s fixture against Crystal Palace, that was due to be played at 15:00 BST on Saturday 17 September, will also remain postponed.

The back story to this tweet is that Griezmann has some clause in his contract that kicks out a large bonus that if he plays a certain amount of games over 30 minutes his loan will turn into an automatic buy.

================================

ESPN FC
@ESPNFC

Minutes played in each game for Antoine Griezmann so far this season: 28' 28' 26' 27' 29' 27'

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread