What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (9 Viewers)

Due to the insanity in Saudi, MLS is offering a financial package that appears to completely dwarf the one that landed Beckham.

And it is my opinion, that even if they land Messi, he won't have even a tenth of the impact on the league that Becks had (the room for growth was enormous when Becks joined, now not so much).

Transfer News Live

@DeadlineDayLive

Barring a huge turnaround, Leo Messi will NOT sign for Saudi Arabia. He will REJECT their €1 billion offer. He and his wife can't imagine moving there with their children.

Inter Miami are now the frontrunners for his signature! One possibility is being loaned to Barcelona from Miami for 6-12 months so he can complete his return

In Bundesliga promotion/relegation playoff news:
VfB Stuttgart beat Hamburger SV 3-0 and 3-1 to stay in BL1.
Hamburger SV dropped to BL2 after 2018 and a 55 year run in BL1 ... from the league's creation.
Stuttgart have been BL champs in '84, '92 and '07.
Hamburg have been BL champs in '79, '82 and 83.

Wehen Wiesbaden beat Arminia Bielefeld 4-0 and 2-1 to earn promotion to BL2.
Bielefeld was relegated from BL1 after '22, so a straight drop to BL3 after one year.

In Bundesliga promotion/relegation playoff news:
VfB Stuttgart beat Hamburger SV 3-0 and 3-1 to stay in BL1.
Hamburger SV dropped to BL2 after 2018 and a 55 year run in BL1 ... from the league's creation.
Stuttgart have been BL champs in '84, '92 and '07.
Hamburg have been BL champs in '79, '82 and 83.

Wehen Wiesbaden beat Arminia Bielefeld 4-0 and 2-1 to earn promotion to BL2.
Bielefeld was relegated from BL1 after '22, so a straight drop to BL3 after one year.

Wiesbaden sounds like a good choice to combine with finally going back to watch SGE some time this autumn/winter, quite a few teams in the Frankfurt area (Darmstadt and Offenbach immediately spring to mind) that I've not seen

Last edited:
Yeah, this...
MLS Buzz@MLS_Buzz

Inter Miami getting their budget absolutely destroyed by MLS for cheating the allocation and DP rules a little but then having MLS come and give them extra incentives to sign Messi is peak MLS.

It’s like getting grounded by your parents and then they buy you a vacation home.

Looking forward to the detailed, 20-page, essays on how Miami signing Messi is legal under the (alleged) rules of MLS.
The last time this happen, the league quickly invented the designated player rule for Becks(which ironically for being a temporary band aid, has had long reaching effects on the league to this day)....

I wonder if they will make up a Messi rule now?

Are Messi and Di Maria close at all?

If so, it would not shock me if Di Maria goes to Miami as he is a free agent right now (assuming the Messi to Miami rumor completes)

I fear the one area MLS hopes Messi may help is to fill the big NFL stadiums but I think most/all of those are field turf and previous older superstars in MLS always skipped those away games.

Still trying to wrap my head around the fact I’ve been mispronouncing Adidas my entire life.

If you’re American, you pronounce the sneaker brand Adidas as "Ah-DEE-dus." That's completely wrong — it's pronounced "AH-dee-dahs."

I fear the one area MLS hopes Messi may help is to fill the big NFL stadiums but I think most/all of those are field turf and previous older superstars in MLS always skipped those away games.
All the more reason to make teams switch back to grass.
I don't think that is possible with out outside of MLS buyin.

The big stadiums are controlled by the NFL teams and can only switch if the NFL team approves it. Maybe they could do the temporary grass thing but that can be worse than field turf at times.

Last edited:
Yeah, this...
MLS Buzz@MLS_Buzz

Inter Miami getting their budget absolutely destroyed by MLS for cheating the allocation and DP rules a little but then having MLS come and give them extra incentives to sign Messi is peak MLS.

It’s like getting grounded by your parents and then they buy you a vacation home.
And it is not just Messi either imo.

I strongly doubt the league is going to let Messi drown on the worst team in the league so I bet a million more corners are going to be cut if they sign Messi to get a decent team around him.

Yeah, this...
MLS Buzz@MLS_Buzz

And it is not just Messi either imo.

I strongly doubt the league is going to let Messi drown on the worst team in the league so I bet a million more corners are going to be cut if they sign Messi to get a decent team around him.
Ronaldo reportedly wants out of SA.......

just sayin'

The big stadiums are controlled by the NFL teams and can only switch if the NFL team approves it. Maybe they could do the temporary grass thing but that can be worse than field turf at times.
Yeah. I know some NFL players have been complaining about turf too. Shaq Thompson has been outspoken about the field in Charlotte changing over

Yeah, this...
MLS Buzz@MLS_Buzz

I don't think there's anything in the rules that says that owners can't also play for the team.

Yeah, this...
MLS Buzz@MLS_Buzz

I don't think there's anything in the rules that says that owners can't also play for the team.
This is one item I hope to see clarified.

Messi is clearly going to be offered equity in a team. But what team? Is Miami giving him a piece or will it be a piece of an expansion team?

Yeah. I know some NFL players have been complaining about turf too. Shaq Thompson has been outspoken about the field in Charlotte changing over
I think this is the best chance. There has been some movement from the NFL PA to push the league to go all grass but the league has resisted. I think it may only happen if part of the next CBA but the owners will likely ask for a kings ransom in return.

I would love to see him play live. He is very unlikely to play on the cement we have here in Foxboro. I need to look up to see if Red Bulls will be hosting Miami this year...

BREAKING: Lionel Messi to Inter Miami, here we go! The decision has been made and it will be announced by Leo in the next hours #InterMiami Messi will play in MLS next season. No more chances for Barcelona despite trying to make it happen.

oh, I missed the underlined...............

If that is true and not just a mistake by Fabrizio, then this gives Miami time to build a new team around him...

BREAKING: Lionel Messi to Inter Miami, here we go! The decision has been made and it will be announced by Leo in the next hours #InterMiami Messi will play in MLS next season. No more chances for Barcelona despite trying to make it happen.

If that is true and not just a mistake by Fabrizio, then this gives Miami time to build a new team around him...
I've been seeing that he's getting loaned back to Barca too

I've been seeing that he's getting loaned back to Barca too

A loan to Barca until next spring would fit, but Fabrizio did include Barca in his tweet saying they are out.

We should find out fairly soon. I would be surprised if MLS let Messi announce this by himself with out a coordinated effort.

Cheapest tickets for the 10/21 Inter Miami match in Charlotte are posted for $194 now. Maybe I should make a quick buck.
Considering he may not even play this season if Fabrizio was right and combining that with he may not even play on field turf even if he does play this season, you might be able to make some money with out losing any big value of missing him play live.

Cheapest tickets for the 10/21 Inter Miami match in Charlotte are posted for $194 now. Maybe I should make a quick buck.
Considering he may not even play this season if Fabrizio was right and combining that with he may not even play on field turf even if he does play this season, you might be able to make some money with out losing any big value of missing him play live.
Already seen him play a couple times anyway :)

latest

==========

Fabrizio Romano
@FabrizioRomano

Lionel Messi will clarify the reasons and details of his decision to join Inter Miami in the next hours. #MLS Deal will be valid with immediate effect as Jorge Messi is planning to travel to Miami later tonight
Something I've seen a lot is that the contract for PSG still runs through the end of June technically. So stuff about immediate effect seems doubtful.

My general stance with anything transfers related is that we don't really know anything until the official statement comes from the clubs. When I first got into soccer, I would drive myself crazy following all this back and forth. It is all particularly aggravated because we're dealing with the best player of all time.

Are Messi and Di Maria close at all?

If so, it would not shock me if Di Maria goes to Miami as he is a free agent right now (assuming the Messi to Miami rumor completes)
Always heard rumors he really wanted to play with Messi at Barcelona (complicated by his Real Madird status) and they obviously played at PSG too. Seems like his closest friends from soccer are Suarez, Aguero, and Cesc. Their families are all close.

Suarez, Di Maria, Messi, and Busquets all to reuinte in Miami? That would be fun.

Since I'm hippling anyways and obviously interested in what happens here, my take remains: Messi wants to end up in Miami, but never wanted to leave FC Barcelona and still wants another CL title. He was never going back to PSG and Saudis were always a long shot. Have been a little surprised he was not looking at a move within Europe though.

Recent rumors of a Miami purchase and loan back makes a TON of sense.

The Athletic confirms deal is not done but they say it is very close. If Pappa Messi is flying into Miami tonight, I assume that is to cover what ever items remain.

ESPN says deal is not done yet. They also said If it is completed, Messi will be part owner of Miami.

The Athletic confirms deal is not done but they say it is very close. If Pappa Messi is flying into Miami tonight, I assume that is to cover what ever items remain.

And yet I would trust Fabrizio over both those outlets.

The Athletic reporters have close ties to MLS so I tend to believe them. MLS sources are likely being super careful until the ink is dry especially if Saudi is still trying.

Users who are viewing this thread