What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

St Louis City just keeps on rolling after a brief lull.

-- 1st place in the West and with games in hand against everyone except LAFC
-- Best goal differential in MLS at +18 (next best +13)
-- Have scored 3+ goals in 8 of 14 matches
-- Except for their loss in Seattle, every other loss was by 1 goal
-- They've been without their top goal scorer for over a month
-- Cincinnati is tops in MLS and has only 1 loss all year. That was a 5-1 loss to STL.

So much endless money

==================

ESPN FC

@ESPNFC

Karim Benzema will join Saudi Arabian side Al Ittihad when his Real Madrid contract expires this month, sources have told ESPN. Benzema was offered a two-year contract worth €400 million to move to Saudi Arabia in January.

90 Minutes is saying he has apparently decided to stay at Real Madrid for another year.

90 Minutes is dumb. Real Madrid confirm Benzema is leaving.

After La Liga approved Messi's return, I thought the meeting today with Barca would have gone very smoothly to be re-signed so this post surprised me.

Fabrizio's comment about "creative solution" makes me wonder about the earlier Miami rumor...

========

fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

Barcelona were not able present official bid to Messi yet during the meeting. Both sides feel time is running out… but Laporta and Jorge Messi have decided to take some hours to see if there’s a ‘creative’ solution. Meanwhile, Leo’s decision process is already advanced.

Well, the silly season is now upon us with the transfer window soon to open.

United needs a Striker, an 8, a center back and a Keeper.

Striker is obvious. Martial isn't it. Such promise but lost his finishing touch.
I say an 8 because Erikson isn't going to go every game. They need to look at someone for that role and let Erikson rotate. Fred and McT are not the answer there. AND NEITHER IS MASON MOUNT FOR :censored: SAKE.
Varane is getting older and is injury prone. Lindelof is a good roational/spot starter. They need to find a partner for Martinez.
De Gea, although still a top shot stopper, can't distribute with his feet and is prone to major howlers. Time to look for a keeper that fits ETH's style.

With those 4 in, the next windows will be about upgrades at RB and planning for life without Casemiro (31) and Bruno (29 next season).

Need to go: Bailley, VdB, MAGUIRE, McT, Williams, Telles. Probably Martial as well.
Elanga may need to be sold or loaned out.
Weghorst's loan is done. I would like them to have kept Sabitzer but it looks like he will go back to Bayern.
Jones and Tuanzabee are out of contract and gone.

Sancho gets another year. Rashford/Antony/Striker/Sancho/Garnacho is some good attacking depth. With Pellestri and Amad in the wings.
Dalot/AWB get another year, too many other needs to worry about RB this season.

ETA, not sure Kane is the answer up top either. He will be 30 in July and would score goals, but is a short term fix. With Varane (30), Casemiro (32 in Feb), Bruno (29 in Sept), Erikson (31 in Feb) that is a lot of your spine getting older. Adding another 30 yo and paying 100m+ for him hurts other areas and means a lot more spending sooner than later.

2nd ETA, De Gea turns 32 in Nov.

Last edited:
The ultimate roller coaster ride :)

============

AbsurDB

@DbAbsur

Ruch Chorzów is the first club in history of football to suffer 3 relegations in a row from country's highest division (2017-19) and to win 3 promotions in a row in a way to country's highest division (2021-23) Those series were only separated by 1 Covid season in 4th league

============

AbsurDB
@DbAbsur

Ruch Chorzów is the first club in history of football to suffer 3 relegations in a row from country's highest division (2017-19) and to win 3 promotions in a row in a way to country's highest division (2021-23) Those series were only separated by 1 Covid season in 4th league
Can't wait to see how the next 3 seasons go...

============

AbsurDB
@DbAbsur

Paderborn nearly did something similar in the mid 10's, they went promoted to Bundesliga - relegated, relegated, would be relegated out of the league but reprieved after 1860 Munich went broke, promoted, promoted back to Bundesliga, then relegated straight away again

Striker is obvious. Martial isn't it. Such promise but lost his finishing touch.
I say an 8 because Erikson isn't going to go every game. They need to look at someone for that role and let Erikson rotate. Fred and McT are not the answer there. AND NEITHER IS MASON MOUNT FOR :censored: SAKE.
Varane is getting older and is injury prone. Lindelof is a good roational/spot starter. They need to find a partner for Martinez.
De Gea, although still a top shot stopper, can't distribute with his feet and is prone to major howlers. Time to look for a keeper that fits ETH's style.

With those 4 in, the next windows will be about upgrades at RB and planning for life without Casemiro (31) and Bruno (29 next season).

Need to go: Bailley, VdB, MAGUIRE, McT, Williams, Telles. Probably Martial as well.
Weghorst's loan is done. I would like them to have kept Sabitzer but it looks like he will go back to Bayern.

Sancho gets another year. Rashford/Antony/Striker/Sancho/Garnacho is some good attacking depth. With Pellestri and Amad in the wings.

ETA, not sure Kane is the answer up top either. He will be 30 in July and would score goals, but is a short term fix. With Varane (30), Casemiro (32 in Feb), Bruno (29 in Sept), Erikson (31 in Feb) that is a lot of your spine getting older. Adding another 30 yo and paying 100m+ for him hurts other areas and means a lot more spending sooner than later.

I don't want them to overspend on Kane. Levy probably won't let it happen anyway but they would have to pay a crazy amount to get him and while it would be good for 2-3 years, I'd rather target a younger, up and coming striker.

I think they have to seriously consider moving on from DDG - too many costly mistakes for my liking.

I like your list of needs but would add a 6 to it. I think you could get by with a trio of 8's /10's of Casemiro (who I think can easily move forward), Bruno and Ericksen if you had someone you felt could protect the back 4.

Sancho and Antony have to do more next year.

I don't want them to overspend on Kane. Levy probably won't let it happen anyway but they would have to pay a crazy amount to get him and while it would be good for 2-3 years, I'd rather target a younger, up and coming striker.

I think they have to seriously consider moving on from DDG - too many costly mistakes for my liking.

I like your list of needs but would add a 6 to it. I think you could get by with a trio of 8's /10's of Casemiro (who I think can easily move forward), Bruno and Ericksen if you had someone you felt could protect the back 4.

They definitely need to be thinking of a 6. Casemiro didn't slow down as much as Erikson did and I think a DM can play a little longer with good positioning. With other priorities being bigger IMO, that becomes the next window's priority.

Kane isn't going for less than 100m and the EPL/United tax will push that up higher. I think he ends up at Bayern or Real.

Was discussing Antony the other day. His work rate and the balance he gives overcame his lack of G/A in his first season. If they get a true striker in there, I think it opens up both stats for him. He is also better defensively and gives them some bite. Sancho doesn't. But I would keep Sancho since he can play both sides. But yes, they both need to improve overall. They will be pushed by Garnacho, Pellestri and maybe even Amad after his successful loan. Although I could see him going back with the depth that have.

De Gea is the last of the SAF players. I agree, may be time to say goodbye. His distribution is the bigger issue for me. If that's how ETH wants to play, they need better in there.
But what an odd season he's had. Can you imagine the golden glove winner not being in anyone's top XI for the season?

Maybe Atlético swaps DDG + cash for Oblak? I know trades don't happen, but it could suit both teams. DDG comes home.

Personally I would hate it. Oblak is light years better at this point. It would be a downgrade.

It seems everyone wants a 9 this summer, including (now) Real Madrid. Guys we've never heard of playing at bottom half clubs in Portugal and France will go for $50m.

It seems everyone wants a 9 this summer, including (now) Real Madrid. Guys we've never heard of playing at bottom half clubs in Portugal and France will go for $50m.
Balogun has to be licking his chops right now.

Balogun has to be licking his chops right now.
If Osimhen and Kane are easily the two biggest fish available, Flo might lead the next pack. Madrid have been linked with seemingly everyone. Richarlison! Joselu! Havertz!

There is going to be an amazing amount of money spent in the next couple of years. It will be interesting to see if they can sustain it or if dies like in China when the government support stopped.

==========

Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

More after exclusive news: Al Ittihad delegation has presented the official bid to N’Golo Kanté and his camp. Al Ittihad are confident to get the green light soon. Details: €100m inclusive of the image rights, commercial deals and a creative ‘investment portfolio’.

From ESPN

Concacaf announced Tuesday that it is renaming the Concacaf Champions League to the Concacaf Champions Cup, and significantly increasing the prize money, with the winners set to receive $5 million.

The name change sees Concacaf revert to what was used in the first 47 years of the confederation's top club competition. Concacaf changed the name to the Concacaf Champions League in 2008

There is going to be an amazing amount of money spent in the next couple of years. It will be interesting to see if they can sustain it or if dies like in China when the government support stopped.
==========
Fabrizio Romano
@FabrizioRomano
More after exclusive news: Al Ittihad delegation has presented the official bid to N’Golo Kanté and his camp. Al Ittihad are confident to get the green light soon. Details: €100m inclusive of the image rights, commercial deals and a creative ‘investment portfolio’.
Wynalda and someone were discussing this yesterday on the radio. They were saying if you want to add to your legacy and have people still watch, come to MLS. Basically if you don't care about being seen and just getting the money go to SA. For some of these guys who have won it all, they are going to go get paid. MLS can not compete with the $$.

I also don't think MLS should try to. Seems they have done a nice job of getting away from the retirement league, taking Concacaf Champions Cup :-)wink:) seriously and are improving the on field quality.

MLS can not compete with the $$.

I don't think any league can compete with the money Saudi is going to be offering. The Messi deal is close to a friggan billion dollars for 2 years. It is insanity and can't be sustained with any real business model (granted what Saudi is doing has nothing to do with business).

MLS can not compete with the $$.

I don't think any league can compete with the money Saudi is going to be offering. The Messi deal is close to a friggan billion dollars for 2 years. It is insanity and can't be sustained with any real business model (granted what Saudi is doing has nothing to do with business).
The business model is to pull hydrocarbons out of the ground for cheap, manipulate the market by limiting supply to boost profits, then turn those profits into weapons and Messis.

:oldunsure: :oldunsure: :oldunsure: :oldunsure: :oldunsure:

========

Barça Universal

@BarcaUniversal

Leo Messi is getting closer and closer to joining Inter Miami.

Ataque Futbolero

@AtaqueFutbolero

LIONEL MESSI JUGARÁ EN INTER MIAMI.

Reshad Rahman

@ReshadRahman_

https://twitter.com/ReshadRahman_/status/1666213161312354304/photo/1
JUST IN: Messi to Inter Miami is advancing in silence.

Diario El Poder Py

@elpoderpy

#Deportes El futbolista argentino Lionel Messi jugará en el Inter de Miami en cuanto venza su contrato con el Paris Saint Germain el 30 de junio, según confirmó el periodista Hernán Castillo. "Ya no más reuniones. Ese será su destino", afirmó el comunicador.
Translated from Spanish by
#Deportes Argentine soccer player Lionel Messi will play for Inter Miami as soon as his contract with Paris Saint Germain expires on June 30, as confirmed by journalist Hernán Castillo. "No more meetings. That will be their destiny," said the communicator

holy crap.....this may have more juice than I first believed. Apple changes the entire picture

=======

Paul Tenorio

@PaulTenorio

The deal MLS is putting together to lure Leo Messi is truly unprecedented.
Profit sharing with Apple
Adidas offering up a cut as well
“(MLS) has gotten very creative"
Some talk of Tata going as coach for Miami as well

Users who are viewing this thread