What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (3 Viewers)

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC
ESPN FC

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC
@ESPNFC

Diego Maradona's "Hand of God" jersey from the 1986 World Cup has sold for a world-record price of $9.28 million at an auction at Sotheby's in London.

The final price surpassed the previous records for a match-worn jersey ($5.64 million for Babe Ruth's 1928-1930 New York Yankees jersey) and for a sports memorabilia piece ($8.8 million for the original hand-drawn Olympic manifesto)

This is making the rounds today from multiple different people. I guess it is the Messi effect (similar to what happened with Becks)

==============================

American Soccer Secrets
@AS_Secrets

Per Source: MLS will add a 4th DP spot for the 2024/25 season as well as an increase in cap space to $7M.

BIG changes are coming to the league!

Last edited:
I guess there's backing money to support that? Don't want them to overextend.. but I get the desire to keep money to help attract the big name players that attract casual fans.

I guess there's backing money to support that?

When a complete financial conservative like Kraft has a signed written agreement to spend what is going to be close to $500m, I have to think the underlying financials in the league are fantastic. There is no other way some one like Kraft is willing to spend that kind of money. He does not believe in invest and hope for growth. He believes in natural growth that then justifies further investment. That is how he runs all his business models.

The latest in "titus says what games he's watching in the next few weeks in totally not made up places"

25/11 - Sheffield United v Bournemouth
28/11 - Atherton Laburnum Rovers v Ilkley Town
2/12 - Gainsborough Trinity v FC United of Manchester
6/12 - Sheffield United v Liverpool
16/12 - Leek Town v Chasetown
22/12 - Stockport County v Notts County if and only if we finish work for Christmas early
23/12 - Maybe Basford United v Guiseley
26/12 - Maybe New Mills v Stockport Georgians

Last edited:
Lol, Leek Town

Not sure if Leak Town would be better or worse than Leek Town.

One of the nearest grounds to me that I've not been to. From level 8 upwards it is the nearest. Been meaning to visit for a while but it was non obvious how to get away from it afterwards on a Saturday until I had a moment of clarity while researching something else

Germany v Argentina U-17 semifinal was great. Very entertaining- went to penalties after a 3-3 full time score with Germany (of course) prevailing.

I have read this thing 4 times and still don't understand it. Could one of you lawyers (or anyone with better reading comprehension than me), explain this statement?

Its pretty cryptic but I think the gist is: We've suspended a few players who are wrapped up in our GM scandal. We're investigating other players. Other players have lost their starting roles for purely soccer reasons. Don't confuse the two or make assumptions, and specifically don't assume Vanzela is involved in any of the nefarious stuff just because he's lost his position.

:lmao:
====

The Athletic | Football

@TheAthleticFC

Manchester United are under investigation by Trafford Council after several people alleged they became unwell after being served raw chicken during an event hosted at Old Trafford

Portuguese soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo has been hit with class-action lawsuit seeking at least $1 billion in damages for his role in promoting cryptocurrency-related "non-fungible tokens," or NFTs, issued by the beleaguered cryptocurrency exchange Binance.

The lawsuit filed in federal court in the Southern District of Florida Monday alleges that Ronaldo's promotion of Binance was "deceptive and unlawful." Binance's partnership with high-profile figures like Ronaldo, the plaintiffs claim, led them into costly and unsafe investments.

Over the summer, Binance was accused of operating as an unregistered securities exchange and violating a slew of U.S. securities laws in a lawsuit from regulators. The crypto exchange agreed last week to pay a roughly $4 billion settlement and its founder, Changpeng Zhao, stepped down as CEO and pleaded guilty to a felony related to his failure to prevent money laundering on the platform.

FA Cup draw, games played first weekend in January, games at Arsenal and Sunderland seem the clear picks of the round, lowest ranked side left are Ramsgate who play Wimbledon tomorrow:

Hull City v Birmingham City
Newport County or Barnet v Eastleigh or Reading
Plymouth Argyle v Sutton United
Maidstone United v Stevenage or Port Vale
Coventry City v Oxford United
Brentford v Wolverhampton Wanderers
Chelsea v Preston North End
QPR v Bournemouth
Gillingham v Sheffield United
Swansea City v Morecambe
Manchester City v Huddersfield Town
Blackburn Rovers v Cambridge United
Nottingham Forest v Blackpool or Forest Green Rovers
Wigan Athletic v Manchester United
Crystal Palace v Everton
Middlesbrough v Aston Villa
Sunderland v Newcastle United
Sheffield Wednesday v Cardiff City
Millwall v Leicester CIty
Watford v Chesterfield/Leyton Orient
AFC Wimbledon or Ramsgate v Ipswich Town
Peterborough United v Leeds United
West Bromwich Albion v Aldershot or Stockport County
Southampton v Alfreton Town or Walsall
Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley
Fulham v Rotherham United
Norwich City v Crewe or Bristol Rovers
West Ham v Bristol City
Arsenal v Liverpool
Stoke City v Brighton and Hove Albion
Luton Town v Bolton Wanderers
Shrewsbury Town v Wrexham or Yeovil Town

FA Cup draw, games played first weekend in January, games at Arsenal and Sunderland seem the clear picks of the round, lowest ranked side left are Ramsgate who play Wimbledon tomorrow:

Hull City v Birmingham City
Newport County or Barnet v Eastleigh or Reading
Plymouth Argyle v Sutton United
Maidstone United v Stevenage or Port Vale
Coventry City v Oxford United
Brentford v Wolverhampton Wanderers
Chelsea v Preston North End
QPR v Bournemouth
Gillingham v Sheffield United
Swansea City v Morecambe
Manchester City v Huddersfield Town
Blackburn Rovers v Cambridge United
Nottingham Forest v Blackpool or Forest Green Rovers
Wigan Athletic v Manchester United
Crystal Palace v Everton
Middlesbrough v Aston Villa
Sunderland v Newcastle United
Sheffield Wednesday v Cardiff City
Millwall v Leicester CIty
Watford v Chesterfield/Leyton Orient
AFC Wimbledon or Ramsgate v Ipswich Town
Peterborough United v Leeds United
West Bromwich Albion v Aldershot or Stockport County
Southampton v Alfreton Town or Walsall
Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley
Fulham v Rotherham United
Norwich City v Crewe or Bristol Rovers
West Ham v Bristol City
Arsenal v Liverpool
Stoke City v Brighton and Hove Albion
Luton Town v Bolton Wanderers
Shrewsbury Town v Wrexham or Yeovil Town

Arsenal v Liverpool is the big draw obviously. Wrexham beats Yeovil to get through.

What an interesting signing FC Dallas just made.

Enes Sali was born in Canada. Barca saw him in an international tournament and brought him to Spain. Then Barca got in all that trouble with their youth players and had to let him go.

The all time great Georgie Hagi saw the kid play and convinced him to move to Romania and join his personal academy.

The kid not only went pro at 15, he was capped by the senior Romanian National team at the same age. I am not sure if this was predatory or not to keep him away from Canada.

He already has 50 pro games in Romania's top division by the time he was 17(which is his age now). He is coached by Hagi himself after Hagi's academy was purchased by a team in the Romanian top division. Hagi became the head coach after the academy was acquired.

The team also happens to be the same team that gave Hagi his start many moons ago.

Last edited:
[Chris Campbell]

Queens Community Board 7 has approved the NYCFC stadium plans, as part of the Willets Point Phase 2 Development.

Next up is the Queens Borough Board and President review on 12/13.

[Chris Campbell]

Queens Community Board 7 has approved the NYCFC stadium plans, as part of the Willets Point Phase 2 Development.

I found some more info:

This first out of 5 approvals needed for the stadium. The remaining ones are:

Borough President

City planning commission

City Council

Mayor Adams

Sounds like Borough President, City Council, and Mayor are all expected to be on board.

The City planning commission is a concern as is whether the Mayor will still be the Mayor when the time comes.

[Chris Campbell]

I found some more info:

This first out of 5 approvals needed for the stadium. The remaining ones are:

Borough President

City planning commission

City Council

Mayor Adams

Sounds like Borough President, City Council, and Mayor are all expected to be on board.

The City planning commission is a concern as is whether the Mayor will still be the Mayor when the time comes.
I don't think any mayor will get in the way of this, even if it was Adams pet project. Can't speak to City planning commission though. But I think forward momentum is unstoppable at this point.

:popcorn:

Harry McGuire has been named EPL player of the month.
Who does he play for?

And I hope you don't mean Harry Maguire, defender at Manchester United. The narrative being pushed that he is "back" and "good again" is lazy and not representative of what is actually happening on the field. It's looking at the box score and going hey, clean sheet he must be doing the job. When in fact the teams they are playing simply can not score when given the opportunity.

Saw a stat the other day that said United have given up something like 106 shots in their last 6 games. 17 shots per game. Sure not all are on target. He has the highest save %, shots faced, etc. How can Maguire be good if Onana has to make all those saves and face all those shots?
If you watch, Maguire marks no one, can't pass off players, can't organize his defense, etc. HE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

This is just incredible in France as Lyon is sitting bottom of the table, and currently down 0-3 to Marseille.
This is pretty massive - I believe this is the game that was replayed after the Lyon bus was attacked on their previous trip. Lyon, has been a big club in France for well, as long as I've followed soccer, 7 time Ligue 1 winners, perennial Champions League/Europa league participants. I'm not sure the last time they weren't in the top league, and too lazy to look but this team is in shambles. Pretty sure they're on their 3rd coach already this year as well.

oh this is a bad look for MLS. Very very bad.

First the commish publicly applauds the type of fans the league has been cultivating

then same fans are are punished, really hard by the league.

This is just incredible in France as Lyon is sitting bottom of the table, and currently down 0-3 to Marseille.
This is pretty massive - I believe this is the game that was replayed after the Lyon bus was attacked on their previous trip. Lyon, has been a big club in France for well, as long as I've followed soccer, 7 time Ligue 1 winners, perennial Champions League/Europa league participants. I'm not sure the last time they weren't in the top league, and too lazy to look but this team is in shambles. Pretty sure they're on their 3rd coach already this year as well.
This summer Lyon and Milan were the 2 teams interested in Pulisic. Rumor was that Lyon offered him a larger contract and he turned them down in favor of Milan. Looks like the right decision.

Santos allows a goal at home at the death to get relegated for the first time in their history (111 years). Pele is sad in heaven today.

Also noticed United had over 4xpg yesterday vs Chelsea, second highest in PL this season.
Not so coincidentally, Rashford was dropped from the team. I saw a rumor that he'll be moved to Barcelona in January transfer market. Love Rashford, high quality guy, but he's been downright terrible this year. One trick pony, trying to take on anyone and everyone 1v1. Bad passing, poor finishing. Not sure there's room for him and Antony doing the same crap.

Also noticed United had over 4xpg yesterday vs Chelsea, second highest in PL this season.
Not so coincidentally, Rashford was dropped from the team. I saw a rumor that he'll be moved to Barcelona in January transfer market. Love Rashford, high quality guy, but he's been downright terrible this year. One trick pony, trying to take on anyone and everyone 1v1. Bad passing, poor finishing. Not sure there's room for him and Antony doing the same crap.
Rashford has been in bad form this season for sure. Not sure I see him leaving though. Not in January anyway. I think part of his problem is that he isn't getting in behind like he did last year. I think he is missing Casemiro and Erikson more than anyone.

But my complain with him has been his decision making. Dribbling when he should pass, passing when he should shoot, shooting when he should pass. He is getting it all backwards. He constantly tries to dribble 3 guys at the same time instead of getting his head up and serving.

He also seems to not be having fun. Is that because he isn't scoring or is he not scoring because he isnt having fun?

And if all the rumors were true, United's January window would consist of selling Mount, Onana, Rashford, Maguire, Varane, Martial, VdB, Sancho, Antony.....

Users who are viewing this thread