What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (4 Viewers)

I'm sure andy already posted this... but every goal of the year for MLS 

clint :wub:  
Funny how few of those are great build-up, intricate passing, team goals.  It's all bombs and volleys.

Also, I'm pretty sure there are quite a few goals from the early years of MLS that just weren't televised.  United used to run a play off of corners where they'd flight it to Agoos running onto the edge the box for a volley.  He caught at least one of them pure and it was spectacular.  And Hristo Stoichkov scored on a 40+ yarder from a wide angle at RFK once upon a time.  Possibly the longest set piece strike I've ever seen.  Have looked for both a few times on the Internet, but there doesn't seem to be any video.

How often to players wear both the Inter and Milan shirts? I think only 2 players have ever worn a Real Madrid and a Barça shirt. And both were Madrid 2nd. Barça would never. I'm sure Neymar will be the 3rd soon enough. 
Pirlo, Patri Viera, Edgar Davis who also played with AJAX and was better in Juventus, Ronaldo, Somehow Taribo West, Cristian Viera better at Milan then Inter, Seedorf, Hernan Crespo, Ibra, Super Mario, Sullley Muntari. It's only 11 players. Some of these guys went straight from Inter or AC to the rival. 

Milan get 2 more injuries or suspensions and they could field a starting 11 of players injured/suspended. Pretty soon the Primavera might have to be called up

PlayerAgeReasonsinceExpected returnMissed matchesDaysMarket Value

Injuries

Giacomo Bonaventura

Central Midfield

29Inflamed ligaments of the kneeOct 27, 2018Apr 15, 20192817023,00 Mill. €

Lucas Biglia

Defensive Midfield

32Disrupted Calf MuscleOct 30, 2018Feb 28, 20192012115,00 Mill. €

Mattia Caldara

Centre-Back

24Achilles tendon ruptureOct 27, 2018Feb 10, 20191910625,00 Mill. €

Ivan Strinic

Left-Back

31Heart ConditionAug 11, 2018Nov 19, 2018161005,00 Mill. €

Mateo Musacchio

Centre-Back

28Cruciate Ligament RuptureNov 8, 2018Jan 10, 2019116315,00 Mill. €

Alessio Romagnoli

Centre-Back

23Calf InjuryNov 16, 2018?0240,00 Mill. €

Hakan Calhanoglu

Left Winger

24Foot InjuryNov 17, 2018?0127,00 Mill. €

Suspensions

Andrea Conti

Right-Back

24Red card suspensionNov 6, 2018Nov 27, 201832115,00 Mill. €

Gonzalo Higuaín

Centre-Forward

30 Red card suspensionNov 13, 2018Dec 4, 201822155,00 Mill. €

Totally digging the Euro Nations League and all the goofy permutations and possibilities it creats - like the 4 "last chance tourneys for Euro spots).  But one of the other wrinkles has been seeing which teams rise a bit in par-on-par competition - some of the results have been rather surprising.

Mucking around a bit I tried to figure out what would be the strongest possible and weakest possible Euro-qualifying groups based on the fact that the pots are set by the final Nations League Rankings.

Germany actually has something to play for against the Netherlands in their final match as a lackluster effort will drop them into Pot 2 for the Euros.

Imagine the following group:

France, Germany, Czech, Hungary, Macedonia.  The good news for the top teams is that 2 teams qualify.

But what I'd love to see is a group like this:

Poland, Slovakia, Finland, Kosovo, Gibraltar, San Marino. 

The last 3 were the bottom 3 seeds when the Euro League was set up.  Gibraltar has surprised with 2 wins and has a good shot at landing in pot 5.  Kosovo has taken care of business so far in its group with Azerbaijan, Faroe Islands, and Malta - needing only a draw in their last game to clinch an improbable promotion to League C next year.

-QG

Enjoyed the Switzerland-Belgium match yesterday. Little Hazard scored twice pretty early and then the Swiss ran all over them for the 5-2 win. Seferovic had a hat trick and Belgium's central defense of Toby and Kompany looked less than stalwart. I don't recall if the fro-less Fro got in or not, I was watching Univision and couldn't tell just by looking.

Union announce Joshua Yaro, Fabian Herbers and Jay Simpson options won't be picked up for next season. It also looks like Curtian is staying as manager for now 

=========

Major League Soccer is preparing a significant overhaul of its regular season and playoff schedules for the 2019 season and beyond, sources tell The Athletic. The changes would involve a shortened regular season and a more measured playoff schedule.

The tentative plan would see the MLS Cup final played before the November international break. While specific dates were not disclosed, playing the MLS Cup final prior to the international break would likely set the final somewhere between November 8th and 15th, depending on the year.

Sources indicate that MLS is likely to approve a single-elimination style knockout tournament to replace the two-legged conference semifinals and finals when they vote in December. This would cut the maximum number of games from six to four. However, the league is also planning to expand the playoff field from six teams per conference to seven, a move anticipating MLS’s eventual total of 28 teams. If enacted, this would mean that 14 of 24 teams would make the playoffs in 2019; 14 of 26 in 2020; and 14 of 28 once the league adds the last two teams in its final round of announced expansion.

A guy vanishes from a message board for a few years and his topic gets archived. What's the world coming to?

Zidane sign yet?
you started a revolution :)  your topic was so popular they archived it along with the top 10 or so other most popular threads.

Since then we have expanding into numerous soccer threads :)

A guy vanishes from a message board for a few years and his topic gets archived. What's the world coming to?

Zidane sign yet?
you started a revolution :)  your topic was so popular they archived it along with the top 10 or so other most popular threads.

Since then we have expanding into numerous soccer threads :)
exhibit deux

welcome back, jpeace. stick around... we've got a game-day thread, a US Soccer thread, this general thread, and of course the s####horpe thread and some liverworust thread or something.

Ibra is coming home!!!!

Zlatan Ibrahimovic has accepted Milan’s offer of a 6 month contract worth €2.2 million proposed by Leonardo and Maldini. [@Sport_Mediaset]

The road is marked for Ibrahimovic's return to Milan on a six-month contract. Zlatan is convinced of giving his maximum on the pitch to earn a renewal. LA Galaxy will earn practically nothing. Ibra will earn €3M until June [Carlo Laudisa - Gazzetta dello Sport]

oh, I like one of the rule changes the international committee is debating adding to the game.

It is a simple procedural change regarding subs.

When your number is raised to be subbed off you will no longer go to the side line to meet the player coming on.  You will be required to leave the field of play at your closest sideline or end line.

This will help reduce those ridiculous 2 minute subs that the refs never seem to add enough injury time for when a player walks at a snails pace to kill time.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, I like one of the rule changes the international committee is debating adding to the game.

It is a simple procedural change regarding subs.

When your number is raised to be subbed off you will no longer go to the side line to meet the player coming on.  You will be required to leave the field of play at your closest sideline or end line.

This will help reduce those ridiculous 2 minute subs that the refs never seem to add enough injury time for when a player walks at a snails pace to kill time.
And shaking everyone's hand including the official as they walk 

Giuseppe the traitor Rossi has been training with RBs to keep fit while a free agent. Would like to play in MLS.
Nah I call it being smart on his part. He knew he could have more success playing with Italy then US. Arena and Klinnsmann wouldn't have don't much for him. If it weren't for the Injuries and Super Mario had kept his head out of his ### Italy could've had a very dangerous two pronged attack for the last 10 yrs or so with those two. If I were him and I had a chance to play for Italy with all those guys I would. I mean when it comes to my career and where could I get the most the US isn't the first place guys will jump too. usually the guys the US gets from dual countries for the most part are guys who know they won't get much playing time with the Senior team at the national level for the other country. Plus the guy did play in Parma's youth system as a kid and both his parents were from Italy. 

The Dons won their first League 1 game since September.  They don't have a permanent manager and are second from bottom in the league but the season has a long way to go.

Former Wimbledon manager Neal Ardley already found another job.  He just moved down a tier and took over Notts County who are second last in League 2.  Good luck to a Dons legend and class act.

DJackson10 said:
Nah I call it being smart on his part. He knew he could have more success playing with Italy then US. Arena and Klinnsmann wouldn't have don't much for him. If it weren't for the Injuries and Super Mario had kept his head out of his ### Italy could've had a very dangerous two pronged attack for the last 10 yrs or so with those two. If I were him and I had a chance to play for Italy with all those guys I would. I mean when it comes to my career and where could I get the most the US isn't the first place guys will jump too. usually the guys the US gets from dual countries for the most part are guys who know they won't get much playing time with the Senior team at the national level for the other country. Plus the guy did play in Parma's youth system as a kid and both his parents were from Italy. 
this is ground that's been covered ad nauseum here.

he made a choice and I'm happy it didn't really work out for him tbh. he can keep trying to play in italy as far as I'm concerned-he really should've done his rehab and pt there too (I kept seeing him in my office neighborhood after one of his many injuries).  but it's a business, so he's forced to slum it in the US now that his career is essentially over. hoping if he gets an offer, it's for shawn  wright- phillips  peanuts to try him out and not DP spot or decent money. or he can play in the whatever league for the cosmos.

Ibra is coming home!!!!

Zlatan Ibrahimovic has accepted Milan’s offer of a 6 month contract worth €2.2 million proposed by Leonardo and Maldini. [@Sport_Mediaset]

The road is marked for Ibrahimovic's return to Milan on a six-month contract. Zlatan is convinced of giving his maximum on the pitch to earn a renewal. LA Galaxy will earn practically nothing. Ibra will earn €3M until June [Carlo Laudisa - Gazzetta dello Sport]
It may still happen, but careful about quoting random twits... As of today nothing yet official.

It may still happen, but careful about quoting random twits... As of today nothing yet official.
GDS is very reputable. Also theres reports from LA saying they want Zlatan happy and if thats leaving to go back to Milan they will let him terminate his deal and leave. Nothing can happen till the bogus FFA thing with UEFA/FIFA takes place though. 

GDS is very reputable. Also theres reports from LA saying they want Zlatan happy and if thats leaving to go back to Milan they will let him terminate his deal and leave. Nothing can happen till the bogus FFA thing with UEFA/FIFA takes place though. 
Everybody's reporting that's it's likely and imminent- so I'm sure it's likely and imminent. But that's different than done...at least for today or the 22nd.

I just read Pogba to Inter. Maybe and down the road.

Everybody's reporting that's it's likely and imminent- so I'm sure it's likely and imminent. But that's different than done...at least for today or the 22nd.

I just read Pogba to Inter. Maybe and down the road.
Have you been living under a rock? Thats like a month old rumor at this point along SMH from Lazio.  :P

Few thoughts on the ATL-NYRB match.

- surprised, like Twellman, that RB sat back at the start

- Josef was so composed on that goal

- I get why they ruled the goal out but seemed soft to me - totally different match (and maybe tie) if they let that goal stand

- Escobar with a really nice finish, unexpected getting a goal from him

- United definitely deserved the win - they dominated the chances

Red Bulls are really up against it - they have to go for it but even a goal from ATL and it’s probably over.

AAABatteries said:
Few thoughts on the ATL-NYRB match.

- surprised, like Twellman, that RB sat back at the start

- Josef was so composed on that goal

- I get why they ruled the goal out but seemed soft to me - totally different match (and maybe tie) if they let that goal stand

- Escobar with a really nice finish, unexpected getting a goal from him

- United definitely deserved the win - they dominated the chances

Red Bulls are really up against it - they have to go for it but even a goal from ATL and it’s probably over.
Just wrote it up in the game day thread, because WRONG THREAD and all.

But totally agree with you. No idea what that bwp called back goal was about...interfernce/active offsides on Muyl? Weak if so. But yeah...given that was pretty much the only shot in anger, ATL desreved the outcome.did they talk about why RBs didn't press? And why they couldn't trap a ball on that turf?

@fourfourtweet

Chesterfield FC have not won in the league in 18 matches, but have drawn their last 8. 

This means they are simultaneously on their worst winless record ever and their best unbeaten run for 12 years

this is ground that's been covered ad nauseum here.

he made a choice and I'm happy it didn't really work out for him tbh. he can keep trying to play in italy as far as I'm concerned-he really should've done his rehab and pt there too (I kept seeing him in my office neighborhood after one of his many injuries).  but it's a business, so he's forced to slum it in the US now that his career is essentially over. hoping if he gets an offer, it's for shawn  wright- phillips  peanuts to try him out and not DP spot or decent money. or he can play in the whatever league for the cosmos.
:goodposting:

Just wrote it up in the game day thread, because WRONG THREAD and all.

But totally agree with you. No idea what that bwp called back goal was about...interfernce/active offsides on Muyl? Weak if so. But yeah...given that was pretty much the only shot in anger, ATL desreved the outcome.did they talk about why RBs didn't press? And why they couldn't trap a ball on that turf?
Definitely called back for interference on Guzan - announcers were saying “by the letter of the law” but it seemed weak to me.

No clue on the tactics - in fact, it’s downright baffling.  NYRB had owned ATL in their 4 meetings.  Seemed like a ridiculous idea to change things up but again, if the goal was allowed maybe everybody is saying something different this morning.

Definitely called back for interference on Guzan - announcers were saying “by the letter of the law” but it seemed weak to me.

No clue on the tactics - in fact, it’s downright baffling.  NYRB had owned ATL in their 4 meetings.  Seemed like a ridiculous idea to change things up but again, if the goal was allowed maybe everybody is saying something different this morning.
if that goal was allowed, everybody would be talking about how RBs didn't deserve anything out of it... and they didn't. it was a comprehensive beat-down, up and down the field.

I really thought going in that RBs had an edge in the MF and I just didn't believe ATL's D would hold- wrong on both counts last night. parkhurst and the ginger were monsters- as was the rest of the team.

but still baffled by them not doing their usual high press... every part of their game is set up to win the ball high and push forward immediately. they were winning the ball deep, but still trying to push the ball forward immediately only without numbers, so BWP 1 on 3 most of the night, and hopeless balls launched forward to be easily dealt with by ATLs back line. I'm going to see if I can find an interview somewhere with armas that explains what the thinking was....

another thing- kudos to Almiron and most of his teammates for not doing their usual histrionics and faking/embellishments. game felt pretty straight up, even with a ref who seemed behind the game a bit (bunch of missed/wrong calls, imo, but at least for both sides), and a lot of emotion and energy out there. almiron got leveled by long at one point (legally, IMO- almiron dribbled into 3 players and got body-checked)... and even though you could tell he felt it and went down, he didnt' do his usual rolling around grasping his face. got up, rubbed his chest where he got leveled, looked perplexed and went about his business.

Users who are viewing this thread