What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

So Rasenballsport Leipzig dares to challenge Bayern, gets a bit threatening, and Bayern reacts by signing Upamecano, taking the manager Nagelsman, and has now signed the Leipzig captain Sabitzer - all in the last six months. Great league.

Not a surprise to anyone.  The last non Bayern team to win the Bundesliga was Dortmund, who did in back to back years.  Then, Bayern stole Gotze, Lewandowski, and Hummels from them and suddenly they were fighting to make European competitions rather than for the title.
I agree, not a surprise.  It would be better for the league if there were to be a true title chase for the entire season.  I can't imagine some type of rule change isn't being talked about to solve this.  What that could be, I don't know.

I agree, not a surprise.  It would be better for the league if there were to be a true title chase for the entire season.  I can't imagine some type of rule change isn't being talked about to solve this.  What that could be, I don't know.
Maybe, but Bayern obviously has a huge influence in how the league is run, and it seems like a very difficult problem to solve. How can the league prevent a club from buying players when all parties agree to the deal? These players are obviously all very happy to move to Bayern. I think German fans will cling to 50+1 above all, even if it means Bayern Munich dominance is nearly untouchable. Also, in this particular case, I think hatred of RB Leipzig trumps and distaste for Bayern winning again. 

Hey, kinda lurk this thread all the time as I learn the sport.

So curious to know which team is your all time fave and what team do you despise/hate the most?  Thanks
Love: Manchester United

Hate: Liverpool, City, Galaxy (although a fan of Zlatan and Chicharito).  Supposed to hate Leeds but I don't, they are fun.

Ronaldo back to United is mostly avoiding embarrassment of him going to City and potentially winning trophies.  And it will sell shirts and help with $$.  

Hopefully with Dan James being sold to Leeds, United can get that DM they badly need.  Then sell Jones and Lingard.

Maybe, but Bayern obviously has a huge influence in how the league is run, and it seems like a very difficult problem to solve. How can the league prevent a club from buying players when all parties agree to the deal? These players are obviously all very happy to move to Bayern. I think German fans will cling to 50+1 above all, even if it means Bayern Munich dominance is nearly untouchable. Also, in this particular case, I think hatred of RB Leipzig trumps and distaste for Bayern winning again. 
True enough.  The dislike for Leipzig is a counter to the dislike for Bayern, and 50+1 is critical to all of the fans.
I'm sure it is hard for a player to ignore Bayern when they come calling.  Especially when players like Sabitzer say they got a new Bayern jersey every Christmas.

Not sure I understand how Chelsea get to have Saul on loan for a bag of crisps. 

It seems an odd move to me.  I guess AtM is getting Griez back, not that its like for like, but I guess Saul was playing a bit more forward this season at AtM.  I suppose Kante misses alot of games.  I don't know the player very well, but would expect he'll be 3rd/4th choice with Kovacic behind Kante and Jorginho.

@FabrizioRomano

1m

Antoine Griezmann back to Atletico Madrid, HERE WE GO! Agreement now completed with Barcelona. Loan until June 2022 with buy option for €40m. #Atleti #DeadlineDay Griezmann has agreement for two years contract plus one option. He’s BACK at Atléti. Shocking move of the day.

WHOA...

@FabrizioRomano

1m

Antoine Griezmann back to Atletico Madrid, HERE WE GO! Agreement now completed with Barcelona. Loan until June 2022 with buy option for €40m. #Atleti #DeadlineDay Griezmann has agreement for two years contract plus one option. He’s BACK at Atléti. Shocking move of the day.

WHOA...
huh.

this and Trincao leaving earlier in the summer are a little shocking to me. I mean, martin braithewhite is essentially a balloon door winner, so I guess they don't need anybody.

huh.

this and Trincao leaving earlier in the summer are a little shocking to me. I mean, martin braithewhite is essentially a balloon door winner, so I guess they don't need anybody.
Memphis Depay has looked really good so far. Griezmann isn't contributing anything in the attack right now. Not sure why, but it just isn't working. Misplacing passes and never seems to be in the right spaces. Does track back very well still :shrug:  

huh.

They sold him for 120M, and buy him back for 40M two seasons later. Only negative is that they gave Barca a lifeline. 

Atletico should really be the favorites in La Liga again - they added De Paul, Griezmann, and Cunha to a loaded roster. 

Memphis Depay has looked really good so far. Griezmann isn't contributing anything in the attack right now. Not sure why, but it just isn't working. Misplacing passes and never seems to be in the right spaces. Does track back very well still :shrug:  
agree that for every 20 minutes Griez looked like the second coming of Henry, there were 70 where he just looked like a random dude floating around. at least with Braithwhite, you know what you're going to get for 90 (which still doesn't seem like a Barca fit... but whatever). and agree that Memphis has looked legit so far. but he needs guys around him- and I'm not seeing them yet.

@FabrizioRomano

1m

WHOA...
Honestly, he's going to have to earn back my love with some performances.  Atleti needs goals and he's coming cheaper than most of his quality.  Could be fun if Suárez, Correa, and Grizzy gel up top. 

Lemar and Carrasco can't be happy at this move, but they'll get time still. 

I'm not sure how Atleti have the cash to pull this off while Barça is hurting financially. 

I'm a big fan of Saúl, but he was getting no love this season and little last season either.  He's best suited to a formation where he can be part of a double pivot in the midfield.  For a great motor and can fill in at left back if needed, but he wasn't needed by Atleti. It will be sad to see him wearing other colors.  He's an Atleti academy product, just like Koke.

They sold him for 120M, and buy him back for 40M two seasons later. Only negative is that they gave Barca a lifeline. 

Atletico should really be the favorites in La Liga again - they added De Paul, Griezmann, and Cunha to a loaded roster. 
They let in 2 crappy goals at home against Villarreal. Just 2 #### ups in the central defense.  Really a rarity for a side so solid at the back.  

Atleti should never be favorites until they are 10 points clear with 3 to play. 

They do need goals though...

Last edited by a moderator:

Terrible business though. Took the player for over 120M and sold him back to Athleti for 40M. Necessary salary dump but Jesus 

Junior Messias to Milan is the last move for Milan this Mercado. Messias started off in Serie D and was a delivery truck driver when not playing soccer. Very cool Story

Milans Transfers 

Get a new Keeper

Mike Maignan 

Keep Tomori 

Check

Add Depth at RB and LB

Florenzi Loan with Buy Opt/Fodo-Todo Outright 

Keep Brahim 2 year with buy opt and Madrid has a buyback

Check

Buy Sandro Tonali outright 

Double Check

Buy another DMF

Bakayoko 2 yr loan with buy opt/Adili bought Loaned back to Boardrux

add wing depth 

Junior Messias Loan with opt to buy

Add 2 Strikers

Olivier Giroud outright and Peitra Pellegri Loan with opt to buy 

Closing Opinion

Overall solid business by Maldini and Massara considering funds had and smart business buys. Would've liked a back up to Brahim but Krunic and Maldini is fine enough and better Wing depth. Don't expect us to finish out of the CCL stage but remain competitive non the less. 

Still need to renew Kessie, and figure out what to do with Alessio Romagnoloi but overall and very solid Mercado for Milan and so far have been fun to watch and that's without Bennacer and Ibra too. Ton of Depth, keeper who is great with his feet, Brahim is already an upgrade over that Bundisliga farmers league Fraud Hakan, Added depth behind God himself in Ibra. Pioli is one of 4 managers in Serie A who stayed and overall besides the Keeper/one CB and mostly the striker our Starting XI is the same as last year and should help us continue success. 

Oh Yeah and I get to watch matches on Paramount plus listening to Marco and Matteo talk Calcio. So much fun 

Post-Transfer Window EPL predictions:

ts a long season, and many twists and turns along the way. But, if I take an honest look at where the teams are right now I'd say:

1. Chelsea - this is a team built to win this year, strong defensively, strong and versatile in attack - at least a half-step ahead of the field

2. Man City - no #9, but enough attacking options to score at will. They could be distracted by CL chase next spring, but if Chelsea falter, they will be close enough to strike,

3. Liverpool - defense is stronger than last year, and primary attacking options are as good as anyone. Lacking depth though, and Firmino already injured. I don't think they can compete for the title, but should be a solid top-4 team.

4. Man United - lots of pressure on OGS - not sure he can handle it. I expect a lot of dominant performances, but also a few head-scratchers. Have the talent for top-4, but not sure it will be managed properly.

5. West Ham - Somewhat quietly, West Ham have put together a very solid team in both attack and defense. It remains to be seen if they can manage the Thursday-Sunday schedule, and if they have the depth to last the season. This may be a tad optimistic.

6. Leicester City - Similar to West Ham, but I think they will trend slightly down this season. Solid team, but will need teams above them to struggle.

7. Spurs - Nuno should have them in the mix for 5-7, and if things break just right, outside shot at 4th. Stronger defensively than last year, attacking will depend on how long it takes Gil to become a starter. But, they should have a chance at points in every game. Top-4 in sight, but low margin for error.

8. Everton - they always seem like they are better than they are. They have decent options in attack and defense, but they always seem to come up short. I don't think a new manager will change that.

9. Aston Villa - Settled into a mid-table role. Once they get over the loss of Grealish and learn to play without him, they should be a decent side.

10. Wolves - they will struggle to score goals, but they did well to hold Leicester, Spurs, and Man United to a goal a piece. Schedule gets easier, and I still expect a top-half finish.

11. Brighton - Mr. xG moves up from the bottom of the table to a solid mid-table squad. If they can stay relatively injury-free, this will be a tough match for any team.

12. Arsenal - I struggled with where to slot them in. This is a pretty bad team right now, and I struggle to think of any standout players who can lead them. I might have them too high here. A new manager should be able to drag them towards mid-table, but still bottom-half.

13. Leeds United - seems like everyone's darling from last season. I think they fall back this year, mostly on the toll it takes to maintain their high energy press. I don't think they will be able to sustain it two-years in a row.

14. Southampton - the perpetual selling team. JWP gives them a chance in most games. I think Armstrong will be a decent replacement for Ings. Not sure about replacing Vestergaard. I think they are safe, but with less margin for error.

15. Crystal Palace - Palace have some exciting young players, and if they can get healthy (Eze and Olise), I think they will be fun to watch, and if Vieira can find some consistency with his team, they could be closer to mid-table.

16. Burnley - maybe the least exciting team to watch, but Dyche seems to get them playing just well enough to avoid the drop.

17. Brentford - I think they have just enough about them to consolidate their position in PL, for at least a season. They seem well-coached, and that's at least half the battle in being able to survive that first season.

18. Watford - they might not get relegated, but I think they will be in the mix. Throwing Sissoko straight in is not a sign of confidence.

19. Newcastle - Ashely desperately wants to sell before he owns a Championship side again. He is going to have to work quick...

20. Norwich - up for a cuppa. But, will be right back down. I think it would be a minor miracle for them to stay up - just not enough PL talent.

Post-Transfer Window EPL predictions:
Very well done Sinn.  Agree with almost every word. 

Chelsea at 3:1 is crazy to me.  They're the majority favorites IMO.  I'd take them heads up against City today.

I admire Liverpool sticking to their guns in terms of net spend, but the squad is a front-line and, given the age of Henderson and Thiago, maybe a midfield player away from being deep enough.

ETA: and it's splitting hairs, but I think I'd have THFC ahead of WHU and Leicester.  Weirdly, given the drama, I think the Spurs ended up with the kind of manager they should have pursued as a first-choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice work, gb @Sinn Fein

I think Norwich, Brentford and CP get the drop. CP has looked awful, I don't trust Vieira after his NYC stint, and I bet Zaha finally leaves over the winter window.

top 4 is tough to call...which should make for an exciting year. fair to make a case for any of the top 4 to win it.

and Leeds has been doing that press since Bilesa started...3, 4 seasons ago? I don't think last year will have ruined them if they weren't ruined already.

nice work, gb @Sinn Fein

I think Norwich, Brentford and CP get the drop. CP has looked awful, I don't trust Vieira after his NYC stint, and I bet Zaha finally leaves over the winter window.

top 4 is tough to call...which should make for an exciting year. fair to make a case for any of the top 4 to win it.

and Leeds has been doing that press since Bilesa started...3, 4 seasons ago? I don't think last year will have ruined them if they weren't ruined already.

Re Leeds - I think the physical demand of the PL are much higher than the Championship - so for Leeds to continue to play that style, at this level, will be more demanding than at the Championship level.

We will see though.  I think it should be an entertaining season.

Very well done Sinn.  Agree with almost every word. 

Chelsea at 3:1 is crazy to me.  They're the majority favorites IMO.  I'd take them heads up against City today.

I admire Liverpool sticking to their guns in terms of net spend, but the squad is a front-line and, given the age of Henderson and Thiago, maybe a midfield player away from being deep enough.

ETA: and it's splitting hairs, but I think I'd have THFC ahead of WHU and Leicester.  Weirdly, given the drama, I think the Spurs ended up with the kind of manager they should have pursued as a first-choice.

I agree with Nuno - Spurs really lucked into that - similar to how they lucked into Pochettino, when they really wanted van Gaal.

In one sense Spurs have an easier path with the Europa Conference League requiring a little less attention.  But, Spurs went younger this transfer window, not necessarily better.

Also - the "Red" country Covid issue could be a big issue for them this fall - with both Romero and Sanchez (and Lo Celso) forced to quarantine for 10 days when returning from International breaks.  That will be 30 days - at least 6 missed games, plus training/tactical work missed.

13. Leeds United - seems like everyone's darling from last season. I think they fall back this year, mostly on the toll it takes to maintain their high energy press. I don't think they will be able to sustain it two-years in a row.
P.S. This will be the 4th season in a row ;)

The boldest prediction above is Arsenal at 12.  That feels very generous. 
They have looked very bad to start the season.

But, they also faced Chelsea and Man City in two of those games, and I think they had Covid issues against Brentford (I might be misremembering that though).

I don't think they had a particularly good transfer window, but they should be able to recover a bit - particularly if they get a new manager in.

I agree with Nuno - Spurs really lucked into that - similar to how they lucked into Pochettino, when they really wanted van Gaal.

In one sense Spurs have an easier path with the Europa Conference League requiring a little less attention.  But, Spurs went younger this transfer window, not necessarily better.

Also - the "Red" country Covid issue could be a big issue for them this fall - with both Romero and Sanchez (and Lo Celso) forced to quarantine for 10 days when returning from International breaks.  That will be 30 days - at least 6 missed games, plus training/tactical work missed.
Re: Spurs.  An injury to Son and/or Kane will really hurt them and their chances to finish 4-7.  Can't believe they still only have one striker.  Sheesh.  And Kane will miss some games this season, he always does.

ESPN+ has scooped up the rights to the usually crazy and entertaining African World Cup Qualifiers.

ESPN+ will begin by showing 40 qualifiers from Africa in the September window.

CAF has a huge WC qualifying schedule, with over 50 nations.  They also have the 2021 ACN, which is now being held in January/February of 2022.  There was a proposal to merge the two - meaning the ACN would also be a WC qualification event - but that was rejected.  Any club that relies heavily on African players has to take this into account imo.  I think its one reason Chelsea didn't try to move Kepa.  

Users who are viewing this thread