What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Group 4 has the United v Villareal rematch from the Europa Final.

Villareal
United
Atalanta
Young Boys

Should be a winnable group for United.  Not easy with Villareal and Atalanta but winnable

Does anybody else crack up seeing the "posted images" being Welbeck and Ozil in an Arsenal kit?  Not sure why I find that funny but always cracks me up.  The good old days!

I tried all kinds of things Z.  I'll spare everyone the full list, but based on what worked in the end it's sort of a manual approximation of a neural network.  I actually started with the approximation based on what was already in my head and then had a couple profs say that a NN should work.  Definitely in over my head trying to explain exactly why, but there probably just wasn't enough data to use a true NN and they weren't able to find the same relationships.

The final model more than doubled the value of draft position as a predictor though -- which was pretty cool.  It only uses players who came into the league before 2012 though, and you can see in the intervening years that the league as a whole is already adopting some of the things I found (the Development piece below for sure).

If you're into these things...here's the Reader's Digest version:

I broke most of the predictor variables into sub-variables based on inflection points in lowess line graphs, and broke the WRs up into subgroups based on build.

Then ran stepwise regression for each WR sub-group using the sub-variables to generate two new variables -- a development score (using draft position, NCAA volume, NCAA efficiency, age), and a physical score (using HT, BMI, Speed, Explosion, Agility).  Probably forgetting something there, but close enough.  I didn't know it when I was actually doing it, but using the line segments is called piecewise regression.

Then the results of the Developmental and Physical models were regressed against my measure of career performance.

What was kind of cool about it was that the model I ended up with was pretty close to what was in my head from working with this stuff informally for a long long time.  The hard part was figuring out how to formally model what I thought I already knew.

That's pretty much what I came up with, too.

I unliked this post just so I could give it a laugh emoji.  :lmao:   @Kafka

Not too concerned, the travel is ok. I was mostly worried about Turkey, Moldova and Russia. Just a little boring, with AM last time, Porto the year before... I also wanted Malmo in group B for my mates to go see the Reds in their home town. Oh well.

No Malmo, but you got Zlatan which is close.  Some great history to see Milan-Liverpool, but I think most would agree that's one of the toughest draws you could get from Pot 4.  Its great group - every game will matter.

What a great draw for the defending Spanish league champions... Only 1 team in Group B hasn't won a CL title before.  Guess which one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, kinda lurk this thread all the time as I learn the sport.

So curious to know which team is your all time fave and what team do you despise/hate the most?  Thanks

Teams I genuinely root for:

- Atlanta United (founding member season ticket holder) - biggest rival Orlando City (kind of hard to hate any club as we are still only 5 years in)

- Manchester United - started with Butt, Giggs, Scholes, Neville and Rooney was my favorite for years - biggest rival is Liverpool, IMO due to the title tally but hate City as they’ve bought their way to the top and are really good and fun to watch 

- USMNT - easy, #### Mexico

So curious to know which team is your all time fave and what team do you despise/hate the most?  Thanks
USMNT

I don't have the "hate" gene for other teams.  I strongly dislike certain players who always seem to be wearing a Mexican jersey so take that as you will :)

Welcome friend. 

Most loved: Chelsea (in Europe/England) and Atlanta United (here in the US). 

Most hated:  Generally Manchester United or Liverpool since their fans (present company excluded!) are often holier than thou about their clubs' history . That said, I don't hate any singular club as much as I dislike several owners who are continuing to try and stack the deck against the masses in 2021 (e.g., Perez at Real Madrid, Kroenke at Arsenal, and Agnelli at Juventus, not to mention Qatari-run PSG).  The European Super League fiasco left a really taste in my mouth and many clubs (including my beloved Chelsea) are/were culpable. 

-Liverpool, Portugal, USMNT

-Everton

I can stomach United with Ole there. They're like the aggressive dog that finally got neutered and isn't really dangerous anymore.  :shrug:

Chelsea won the UCL.  He played the most minutes for Chelsea in that competition and was arguably their best player in that competition.  

Italy won Euro 2020.  He was their best player (Other then Spinazzola) throughout the competition.  

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Changed it for ya 

Milan - I liked Italy and ancestors from there but after the 06 World Cup and got Fox Soccer wanted to pick an Italian club to follow and most of my favorite players were on Milan despite my Favorite in Totti being a Roma Player

Italy Men- Ancestry and I get to go to a cool Cafe to watch the team now 

Scotland: Ancestry 

USMNT: Think this is obvious for alot of us here

Philadelphia Union (Home Town Club)

Newcastle United because I liked the Goal Movies and theres a bit of Scottish history in there

Athletico Madrid- Their Manager passion alone reminds me of me. 

PSG- Liked them well before they got really good

Argentina- Italy's Sister country 

Bayern Munich- Lewandowski and how can't you root for Sweeper keeper Manuel Nuer

Borussia Dortmund- How can you like 2 rivals? Dortmund has a few USMNT guys, plus they got a lot of players I really like. I love how they do business as well. 

Benfica- Casually they also have a Goalkeeper in their Academy who was originally with the Union Academy and is from Philadelphia but I love their kits and Stadio 

AFC Richmond- Go Greyhounds!!!!!!

Who do I hate

NYRB, DC United, NE Revs, inter Milan, the whole big 6 of the Premier League because they are all corrupt and won't allow Newcastle United new rich owners because they are scared of Competition (But mostly Liverpool and Man City), Juventus, Uruguay, Seattle Sounders, Atlanta United. 

Ronaldo to United seems like a much bigger concern to EPL hopefuls than Ronaldo to City.  I've not really seen the guy play very much the past couple years, but if he's still got some of the old magic it would seem to be a huge boost at United, only a marginal improvement at City.

Ronaldo to United seems like a much bigger concern to EPL hopefuls than Ronaldo to City.  I've not really seen the guy play very much the past couple years, but if he's still got some of the old magic it would seem to be a huge boost at United, only a marginal improvement at City.
Saw something last night where his shots/90 has fallen off bigtime in the last couple years.  And he's 36.  I'm sure he'll score some goals, but I don't think he'll be a massive impact player.

(and now that I've said that, I'd like to congratulate United fans on winning the title)

He had 29 goals in 33 games year and led Serie A.

Year before he had 31 goals in 33 games.

I watch a lot of Serie A, and certainly Ronaldo is not the player he used to be, but he will not need to be on United.  Pair him with Sancho and Rashford with Bruno and Pogba offering service.  He's an impact player for sure (as he had the winner for Juve last game out after coming in as a sub, only to be called off by a fraction).

I actually thought he'd fit in perfectly with City as they could sit Sterling.  Addition by subtraction.  Imagine him getting through balls from KdB?  He wouldn't miss the dozen or so sitters Raheem does each year.

He'll be well received if nothing else at Old Trafford.  United will be plenty hungry for goals all around with the likes of Bruno, CR7, Rashford, Greenwood, Cavani, Sancho (if he ever gets to play).  Martial has to be sent out, simply not enough balls to go around.  Saw something today which made me chuckle in that VanDijk has more minutes played in the premier league that VanDeBeek.  FFS.  United spent how much on him again. vomit.  Play these ####ers if you're going to bring them in.  If they can't cut it, move them, but you'll never know if they never play.

I think it's possible that keeping him from City is as impactful as he will be on the pitch for United.

Honestly, I'm not totally sold on the move outside the above but I just love that @The Gator won't be getting an erection for a long time.  :oldunsure:

But overall - I'm giddy about it.  He's not what he was and they don't necessarily need him to be.

So much pressure on Ole now.

So help me god if he continues to start 2 of Fred/McT/Matic with this firepower they should fire him immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread