What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (9 Viewers)

Could someone explain this away goal thing to me. Seems kind of bogus.
when the aggregate score is level after two games, the team that scores the most away goals in the winner.

This has been common for decades in soccer although recently some competitions are doing away with the rule and going to extra time if level after two games.
I don't know seems like a weird rule to me. Why would a 0-0 draw in Mexico be less important than a 1-1 draw here. But what do I know I'm a soccer newbie. That bicycle kick by Kara in the 90th was a thing of beauty almost had me sporting wood.

I think years and years ago, they found that the away team was bunkering like crazy so they added the away goal rule in the hopes of incentivizing the away team to attack.

There is no good solution really. Lets pretend there was no away goal rules. You can either go directly to pk's (which sucks) or you can go to a 30 minute extra time, which is unfair in that the team that hosts second gets an extra 30 minutes of play at home.

I would have to check to be sure but this feels like the first time in a long time that Serie A has the most teams in the UCL quarter finals

3 Italian
2 English
1 Spanish
1 Portuguese
1 German
Italy had three in 2003, 2005 and 2006.
I'm not sure how this will translate, but this is what I have from 1997 forward. *=champ came from there.
199719981999200020012002200320042005200620072008200920102011201220132014201520162017201820192020202120222023YearsChamps
Cyrpus
1​
1​
1​
England
1​
1​
*1​
2​
3​
2​
1​
2​
*2​
1​
3​
*4​
4​
2​
3​
*1​
2​
1​
1​
2​
*4​
1​
*3​
3​
2​
52​
25​
6​
France
1​
1​
2​
1​
1​
2​
1​
1​
1​
2​
1​
1​
2​
1​
18​
14​
Germany
*1​
3​
2​
1​
*1​
2​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
*2​
2​
1​
2​
2​
1​
*2​
2​
1​
1​
33​
23​
4​
Greece
1​
1​
2​
2​
Italy
1​
1​
2​
1​
*3​
1​
3​
3​
*2​
1​
*1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
2​
1​
1​
3​
31​
20​
3​
Netherlands
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
5​
5​
Norway
1​
1​
1​
Portugal
1​
1​
*1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
12​
12​
1​
Russia
1​
1​
1​
Spain
1​
*1​
1​
*3​
3​
*3​
3​
2​
*2​
1​
1​
*2​
1​
*2​
2​
3​
*3​
*3​
*3​
*3​
*3​
1​
2​
1​
*3​
1​
54​
26​
12​
Turkey
1​
1​
1​
3​
3​
Ukraine
1​
1​
1​
3​
3​

The best way to understand how it works is to think of each away goal counting as 1.01 goals.
First match A wins 3-2 at home ... that's Team A 3 - Team B 2.02
Second match B wins 2-1 at home ... that's Team B 2 - Team A 1.01
Aggregate is Team A 4.01 - Team B 4.02

I would have to check to be sure but this feels like the first time in a long time that Serie A has the most teams in the UCL quarter finals

3 Italian
2 English
1 Spanish
1 Portuguese
1 German

I wish they still had a country ban on the draw this round because no one wants to see the Italian teams play each other or City-Chelsea. Napoli against any of Real, Bayern or City seems like a great tie.

when the aggregate score is level after two games, the team that scores the most away goals in the winner.

This has been common for decades in soccer although recently some competitions are doing away with the rule and going to extra time if level after two games.

Yeah, UEFA eliminated the away goal rule.

I’m happy they got rid of it. I used to think it was a great idea but the reality was it didn’t seem to increase attacking play by away teams and often created results that seemed unfair. Home teams getting extra time in the second leg is also somewhat unfair but I think is the lesser of two evils in a sense. It’s always been a slight advantage to play the second leg at home anyway.

Love that table @Mjolnirs.

Seems like it matches other measures of league strength, with England/Spain ahead of Italy/Germany, then France/Portugal. Surprised the Netherlands wasn't better repped -- would have thought they were closer to Portugal.

I would have rather they'd done away with away goals once it goes to extra time than get rid of it all together. If the aggregate was tied after 180, next goal wins. And yeah -- still some advantage for the home team, but way less than it was when away goals carried into extra time.

I’m happy they got rid of it. I used to think it was a great idea but the reality was it didn’t seem to increase attacking play by away teams and often created results that seemed unfair. Home teams getting extra time in the second leg is also somewhat unfair but I think is the lesser of two evils in a sense. It’s always been a slight advantage to play the second leg at home anyway.

I’m open to persuasion, but I think I prefer extra time to the away goal rule, but prefer the away goal rule to PKs.

Love that table @Mjolnirs.

Seems like it matches other measures of league strength, with England/Spain ahead of Italy/Germany, then France/Portugal. Surprised the Netherlands wasn't better repped -- would have thought they were closer to Portugal.
Thanks. I have the same table for round of 16, quarters, semis and final ... and by team for each level. :nerd:
eta - I use '97 because that's when I started following.

I’m open to persuasion, but I think I prefer extra time to the away goal rule, but prefer the away goal rule to PKs.
Well after last night I definitely like extra time over that away goal thing. Extra time was what I was expecting so it was a big let down.
Biggest crime was fs1 cutting away from game with 10 minutes left to show freaking baseball. By the time I got the FOX app loaded up I missed Kara's bicycle kick to tie it up.

I may never be more wrong about any player for the rest of my life. What a non stop downward trend

=====================

Transfer News Live

@DeadlineDayLive

Besiktas Head Coach Senol Gunes has banished Dele Alli from the first-team and does not plan to include him in any match-day squads for the rest of the season. He’s been told he will watch from the stands until he returns to Everton.

Didn't the laws change so the player could leave the field via the closest side/end line?

yes, but it has been a bit of a failure unfortunately. This is how it almost always plays out for the team that is ahead.

1) sub is listed for player on far side of the field.

2) player on field to be subbed lowers his head and slowly jogs towards the side line.

3) Ref points for him to exit on his side

4) player pretends he does not see and keeps jogging, now at about half way across the field

5) Ref gets sterner, player now recognizes, argues for a a moment and then jogs back where he came from, ending up covering the same distance he would have if he just came to the regular side line and at the same pace.

No effective time is saved and the refs (at least outside of how they performed at the WC) won't add this wasted time on the clock.
Oh I know, it's all a game between the refs and players. And as much as I hate to say it, if the refs, as a collective, booked this, it would only take a couple games to change the behavior.

They really need to start enforcing the laws on the books before pushing for new ones. I'm not against any of these, just lets stop letting keepers hold the ball for 30 seconds at a time. Stop them from catching an easy ball with no one around and falling to the ground to waste time. Don't let throwins take 30 seconds and definitely don't let them inch their way up the field for 20 yards....
I have no explanation for why some rules are never enforced in this sport and the vast majority of fans don't seem to care about it.

For example, we finally saw during the WC what real extra time should look like but once every one just went back to watching the leagues and not caring when a 5 was raised instead of the 12 it should have been for injury time.
And these fans now want a 60 min stopping clock to get "more action" instead of following the laws.... :wall::rant:

I get that added time isn't perfect, but I like the system. I am sure it can be tweaked to work better. Maybe the 4th official (or a "time keeper") can keep the time based on the ref's instructions and they can discuss how much to add.

I don't know seems like a weird rule to me. Why would a 0-0 draw in Mexico be less important than a 1-1 draw here. But what do I know I'm a soccer newbie. That bicycle kick by Kara in the 90th was a thing of beauty almost had me sporting wood.
It's supposed to encourage attacking, esp away teams. Go get that away goal since it almost counts as 2. I am one of the few that actually liked it and was disappointed when UEFA did away with it in CL and Europa.

I get that added time isn't perfect, but I like the system. I am sure it can be tweaked to work better. Maybe the 4th official (or a "time keeper") can keep the time based on the ref's instructions and they can discuss how much to add.

I thought the way it was done in the WC was near perfect, but zero leagues have adopted it. At least we got a general representation of a true 90 minute game in the WC instead of the much shorter versions we get in league play.

The 3 MLS teams that advanced to the quarter finals of the CCL are all on the same side of the bracket.

Winner of Philly vs Atlas plays winner of LAFC vs Vancouver, in the semi finals.

:lmao: ..........This sport....... :lmao:

==========================

Men in Blazers
@MenInBlazers

Bolivian top flight referee crew are suspended after adding 42 MINUTES to a game Monday. The ref added the time due to a video review of a goal and a brawl. In the end, Palmaflor beat Blooming 3-2. Winning goal in the 38th minute of added time

Last edited:
CL and Europa draws this morning...

CL
RM v Chelsea
City v Bayern

Milan v Napoli
Benfica v Inter

Europa
Juve v Sporting
United v Sevilla

Feyenoord v Roma
Leverkusen v Union

All the big boys seem to be on the same side of the bracket in both.

Hate this draw. Chelsea just played Real last year - although it was a pretty good tie, I was hoping for something new and interesting. City v Bayern will be great but in the final or at least next round. Hate having all three Italian teams + Benfica on one side of the bracket. So much potential.

And these fans now want a 60 min stopping clock to get "more action" instead of following the laws.... :wall::rant:

I think most of the people who are in favor of the 60 minute games is not because of more action. It won't provide any more action. It will however put an end to 99% of all time wasting, which is really what its main purpose is for.

I love the high level idea of 60 minute games because I think time wasting is soooo awful in the sport but I can't fully support it because I know deep down once the clock can officially stop, commercial breaks can't be far behind.

I think most of the people who are in favor of the 60 minute games is not because of more action. It won't provide any more action. It will however put an end to 99% of all time wasting, which is really what its main purpose is for.

I love the high level idea of 60 minute games because I think time wasting is soooo awful in the sport but I can't fully support it because I know deep down once the clock can officially stop, commercial breaks can't be far behind.
For me the time wasting can be reduced by enforcing the laws. If they actually did that and it still didn't help, I may be more open to stopping the clock, but would still hate it. Esp since you are right in that commercials would be right behind.

One of the things that makes the game beautiful is the running clock and injury time. Have loved it since I was a kid learning the sport.

Taking a mini-vacation and going to Vancouver over the May 5th weekend. Bought a ticket to go see the Whitecaps take on Minnesota United on the 6th. Going solo and decided to buy a ticket Asahi Super Dry Landing which is literally field level and behind the benches. Was concerned about sight lines but saw some reviews/photos and that doesn’t seem to be an issue. This will be my first MLS game!

Taking a mini-vacation and going to Vancouver over the May 5th weekend. Bought a ticket to go see the Whitecaps take on Minnesota United on the 6th. Going solo and decided to buy a ticket Asahi Super Dry Landing which is literally field level and behind the benches. Was concerned about sight lines but saw some reviews/photos and that doesn’t seem to be an issue. This will be my first MLS game!

I havent sat there so will be curious on your experience.

I havent sat there so will be curious on your experience.
I’ll let you know! I’ll try and take pictures but I tend to not do that so no promises.

Bayern have fired Naggelsmann and hired Tuchel

Fabrizio Romano
@FabrizioRomano

Exclusive news confirmed: Thomas Tuchel becomes new FC Bayern head coach, full agreement in place. He has already accepted the job. #FCBayern Contract agreed, documents are being prepared tonight.
I don’t get it. I think it was a quick decision and not the right one mid season. But there might be rot in the system that we don’t see. Or Kahn and crew have lost it.

Fabrizio Romano
@FabrizioRomano

Exclusive news confirmed: Thomas Tuchel becomes new FC Bayern head coach, full agreement in place. He has already accepted the job. #FCBayern Contract agreed, documents are being prepared tonight.
I don’t get it. I think it was a quick decision and not the right one mid season. But there might be rot in the system that we don’t see. Or Kahn and crew have lost it.

I believe this suit was the reason for immediate termination.

Fabrizio Romano
@FabrizioRomano

Well, when there's 9 games left and you are 1 point behind Dortmund instead of 8 points up, you tend to do crazy things.

Tommy Tickles to the rescue. Maybe they think he will win the CL like he did for Chelsea?

Fabrizio Romano
@FabrizioRomano

Well, when there's 9 games left and you are 1 point behind Dortmund instead of 8 points up, you tend to do crazy things.

Tommy Tickles to the rescue. Maybe they think he will win the CL like he did for Chelsea?

Speaking of Champions League, Naggelsmann must be the first coach in history to be sacked while 8-0-0 in a current champions league run

Rumors are Bayern have wanted Tuchel for a while. Spurs started talking to Tuchel discretely and then boom, skinny pants Naggels is canned and Tuchel is hired at Bayern.

Rumors now are that Spurs are looking at skinny pants Naggels. Can skinny pants with no socks work on a cold night in Stoke? We may soon find out.

All of this while Conte is still technically in charge at Spurs.

I love Football.

Fabrizio Romano
@FabrizioRomano

Speaking of Champions League, Naggelsmann must be the first coach in history to be sacked while 8-0-0 in a current champions league run
Very well could be. Hell, he's only lost 3 games all season. I know they're in 2nd to a red hot Dortmund right now, but Nagelsmann wasn't exactly struggling. Gotta be something else behind doors.

Fabrizio Romano
@FabrizioRomano

I believe this suit was the reason for immediate termination.
This is also why Cam Newton can't get a job.

Qatari Sheikh Jassim has reportedly submitted a bid "believed to be more than £5billion" for Man United. Could be up to a billion more than Clearlake paid for Chelsea FC in a fire sale last year. I wonder how ManU supporters feel about this potential new chapter in the club's history. Probably better than the Glazers in some respects but not without concerns I'm sure.

Users who are viewing this thread