What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official "Space Blanket" for Better Call Saul*** (3 Viewers)

I just finally got around to watching the entire first season of this. Very, very good IMO.
It seems like they ended it not knowing if there would be any follow up seasons with Jimmy driving away basically saying he's going to be crooked from here on out. I could easily see it end there, but there's 5 more seasons?
How highly do you guys recommend it?
I've actually heard some people say this show rivals or might even be better than Breaking Bad. I find that hard to believe, but ya never know I guess.

I just finally got around to watching the entire first season of this. Very, very good IMO.
It seems like they ended it not knowing if there would be any follow up seasons with Jimmy driving away basically saying he's going to be crooked from here on out. I could easily see it end there, but there's 5 more seasons?
I've actually heard some people say this show rivals or might even be better than Breaking Bad. I find that hard to believe, but ya never know I guess.

Must watch if a fan of Breaking Bad at all

Season one was definitely the worst season of Better Call Saul. I didn’t think it was bad, but it just keeps getting better. I’d agree that by the end of the series, it’s right up there with Breaking Bad.

It's a worthy companion piece that at times, goes higher than the original. I don't think its consistently better than Breaking Bad.....but Saul might be an overall better character than Walter White. To me, Saul also had much better supporting characters.

at times, goes higher than the original.
That would be quite a feat, cause there's quite a few rather high quality dramatic/tense moment in BB. Hopefully ur right

I hate debating this because it makes it seem like I didn't like BCS but there's a pretty decent gap between the two shows for me. I've rewatched BB a couple of times and probably will again - no real desire to go back and rewatch Saul. It suffered slightly from being a prequel but as a prequel/sequel it ranks really highly for me - hard to pull off and they did a masterful job.

BCS is excellent, but I don't think it was as good as BB. But that's OK, it didn't need to be. The writing in BCS and the character development are fantastic, but it is a much slower roll than BB was. BCS requires some patience, especially though the first couple seasons. BB was much more "action intense" than BCS until the timeline of the prequel got closer to merging with BB. BCS loses just a little bit of shine because you always knew where the story had to go, but it was still a fun journey getting there.

It's a worthy companion piece that at times, goes higher than the original. I don't think its consistently better than Breaking Bad.....but Saul might be an overall better character than Walter White. To me, Saul also had much better supporting characters.
Agreed, except for the bolded. I think BCS is much tighter than BB (especially early in its run) was, and hit its high level earlier.

I think the people saying BCS was as good as BB did it a disservice (not to mention being very, very wrong), as it put crazy high expectations in the heads of people going in, and I know it failed for many it failed to live up to those expectations, but it was still a very good show. I found it much better on the re-watch binge, as it does move pretty slow more often than not, but you don't notice that as much on the binge verses when you only get one episode per week.

at times, goes higher than the original.
That would be quite a feat, cause there's quite a few rather high quality dramatic/tense moment in BB. Hopefully ur right
Just watch the show buddy.

Much slower than Breaking Bad, especially the first couple seasons. Last couple seasons were as good as anything Breaking Bad did. Mike is the best character in both shows and since Saul highlighted him even more I thought it was just as good.

Much slower than Breaking Bad, especially the first couple seasons. Last couple seasons were as good as anything Breaking Bad did. Mike is the best character in both shows and since Saul highlighted him even more I thought it was just as good.
I never made the connection but watched Beverly Hills Cop for the first time in a long time this weekend and Mike is one of the security guys in it! Was shocked to see him.

I never made the connection but watched Beverly Hills Cop for the first time in a long time this weekend and Mike is one of the security guys in it! Was shocked to see him.
Vince Gilligan was a college student in the late 1980's and a show he watched in his dorm room was called "Wiseguy", which had Jonathan Banks playing a strong supporting role.

When he was writing the concept for "Breaking Bad", he remembered Banks from that show, and wrote specifically the character of Mike Ehrmantraut with him in mind.

Vince Gilligan was a college student in the late 1980's and a show he watched in his dorm room was called "Wiseguy", which had Jonathan Banks playing a strong supporting role.

When he was writing the concept for "Breaking Bad", he remembered Banks from that show, and wrote specifically the character of Mike Ehrmantraut with him in mind.
Wiseguy was a really good show. It's a shame the suits didn't know what to do with it. It probably would have fared better in the '00s than the '80s.

Exceeds Breaking Bad 100%

Yes!!!! Had a long career of being a bit player in 80’s flicks. Typically a goon.

Wiseguy was a really good show. It's a shame the suits didn't know what to do with it. It probably would have fared better in the '00s than the '80s.
Sonny Steelgrave was atop shelf badguy, and Susan Profitt's dress in her opening scene... Well I'm going to watch that again and hope it's as spectacular as I remember.

I thought Mike was only in the show at first because Odenkirk was not available for the Jane cleanup scene.

I think what pushes BB over BCS for me is that I liked Jesse as a secondary character more than Kim. Kim was good, but Jesse was a great, great character.

Exceeds Breaking Bad 100%
Not for me. Bcs is good, but I found bb to be better

I thought Mike was only in the show at first because Odenkirk was not available for the Jane cleanup scene.
That is correct. That has been confirmed by both Banks and Odenkirk (and Gilligan as well, I think).

So what is the timeline from when BCS starts until BB begins?
The show timeline for BB was what, like a year and a half maybe? Not sure how long Walt was in the cabin and Jesse was a slave.
Was just curious in timeline.

Edit. Just looked. Tried to avoid spoilers.
BCS starts 2002, ends 2005.
BB starts 2008

Mike must have a new granddaughter in BB

Last edited:
So what is the timeline from when BCS starts until BB begins?
The show timeline for BB was what, like a year and a half maybe? Not sure how long Walt was in the cabin and Jesse was a slave.
Was just curious in timeline.

Edit. Just looked. Tried to avoid spoilers.
BCS starts 2002, ends 2005.
BB starts 2008

Mike must have a new granddaughter in BB
BB was exactly two years:

The pilot was on Walt's 50th birthday.

The finale was on Walt's 52nd birthday.

But he didn't turn 51 until halfway through Season 5a, so the last year took place from then till the end. They obviously did the montage in Gliding Over All that covered a number of months and then Walt being in the cabin and Jesse being a meth slave was a number of months as well.

Binge watched the heck out of the show. Excellent start to finish. However, as another poster mentioned, I don't really have or think I will have the desire to rewatch any of BCS, meanwhile I have watched BB start to finish a few times now, and I think it was better the third time around.
So yeah, I definitely liked BB better overall.

Not a fan of Saul screwing up his 7 year sentence at the end. Seemed very un-Saul-like.

Some really awesome moments in the show though. Howards death, Nachos last scene, Mike being Mike .......

:kicksrock:

0-for-53 in the Emmys
I loved BCS and agree it should have gotten more awards, but honestly, who cares? Does it change how you or anyone else will view the series? I suppose that if it were still ongoing, one could make the argument that a lack of awards might lead to lower ratings and potentially its premature cancelation, but that's obviously not a concern anymore (if it ever was). Nor is this like a LeBron vs MJ debate where people will point to Emmy wins as some sort of arbiter. If you want to claim that BCS is better than BB or The Sopranos or whatever, no one is going to throw its lack of Emmys back in your face.

0-for-53 in the Emmys
HBO greased a lot of voter pockets.

Jennifer Coolidge over what Rhea Seehorn did in that last season? C'mon. Not a single writing award in seven seasons? Just embarrassing for the television academy.

I don't care about the Emmys but definitely disappointing when a very average show like Succession sweeps. BCS deserved more love considering how flawlessly they pulled off this challenging prequel.

0-for-53 in the Emmys

Jennifer Coolidge over what Rhea Seehorn did in that last season? C'mon. Not a single writing award in seven seasons? Just embarrassing for the television academy.
I love The White Lotus, but I have to question the sense of anyone who thinks Coolidge was more deserving than Seehorn. I don't think Coolidge was a standout in either season of The White Lotus, yet she got an Emmy for both seasons. Outside of major politiciking behind the scenes, I cannot imagine how else that happened.

0-for-53 in the Emmys

I love The White Lotus, but I have to question the sense of anyone who thinks Coolidge was more deserving than Seehorn. I don't think Coolidge was a standout in either season of The White Lotus, yet she got an Emmy for both seasons. Outside of major politiciking behind the scenes, I cannot imagine how else that happened.

I don't get that either. She's probably my least favorite thing about an otherwise great show.

Users who are viewing this thread