What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Texas Rangers 2009 Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Millwood: The Quest for 180

The first time all season I missed an update. With Holland/Hunter/Feliz Fever I had forgotten about the bulldog of the staff. This feels like a limp to the finish for Millwood, who will still have great numbers at the end of the season, just not as great as they were early on.
Dude looks worn out chasing this number.

I think Rangers could grab a homeless guy off the street and give him a mit and he still would do as well or better than Jennings. Brutal.

Kevin Millwood's valient effort to accumulate 180 total innings and win the prize of a $12m contract next year.

Progress:

Number of Starts: 25

Number of Total Innings: 161.0

Average Innings per Start: 6.44

10-8, 3.63 ERA, 1.342 WHIP, 99 K

Number of Innings Left: 19.0

Number of Possible Starts Remaining*: 8

Average Number of Innings Needed per Remaining Starts: 2.375

On pace for the season: 212.52 (personal best: 228.0)

*Based on 34 starts per Year - his average as a Ranger

Agree with culdeus, this chase has really worn this guy out. How much is it the chase, how much is it the new pitching philosophy of the Rangers? No one else on this staff outside of Feldman is within 50 innings of Millwood, and all are at least 6 years younger than Millwood.

What does this rotation look like next season???

Millwood

Feldman

Holland

Hunter

Feliz

Harrison, Nippert, Mathis all on the outside looking in?? Not to mention the young guns at AA/AAA that would be ready to come up. Spring Training could be the most competitive ever for pitching.

Kevin Millwood's valient effort to accumulate 180 total innings and win the prize of a $12m contract next year.

Progress:

Number of Starts: 25

Number of Total Innings: 161.0

Average Innings per Start: 6.44

10-8, 3.63 ERA, 1.342 WHIP, 99 K

Number of Innings Left: 19.0

Number of Possible Starts Remaining*: 8

Average Number of Innings Needed per Remaining Starts: 2.375

On pace for the season: 212.52 (personal best: 228.0)

Agree with culdeus, this chase has really worn this guy out. How much is it the chase, how much is it the new pitching philosophy of the Rangers? No one else on this staff outside of Feldman is within 50 innings of Millwood, and all are at least 6 years younger than Millwood.

What does this rotation look like next season???

Millwood

Feldman

Holland

Hunter

Feliz

Harrison, Nippert, Mathis all on the outside looking in?? Not to mention the young guns at AA/AAA that would be ready to come up. Spring Training could be the most competitive ever for pitching.
Needs to be the closer. I want to watch him more than once a week. The starting line is good, we need a serious blood smelling closer CJ and Franky are too shakey.

Bogart said:
culdeus said:
:hot: Taking a series in NY is always sweet. Nice work by the bullpen today. Timely hitting. Anytime you have more runs than hits you know things are going your way and you are taking advantage of your walks.
Only second series the yankess have lost since the ASB.warrants mentioning

If you're streaming pitchers, need K's, and can take the occasional hit to ERA? Look for pitchers going aginst Texas. Those guys strike out a TON

Progress:

Number of Starts: 26

Number of Total Innings: 167.0

Average Innings per Start: 6.42

10-8, 3.61 ERA, 1.341 WHIP, 101 K

Number of Innings Left: 13.0

Number of Possible Starts Remaining*: 7

Average Number of Innings Needed per Remaining Starts: 1.857

On pace for the season: 211.86 (personal best: 228.0)

Solid 6 innings wasted by Wilson yesterday. Would be nice to see Millwood go 7 his next two starts, get this past him and look towards the end of the season and playoff push.

I think a 4-5 road trip puts this season to bed. Red Sox and Angels aren't going to put a 3-6 stretch up between now and end of season.

Time to figure out how the last 3 innings are supposed to shake out in the offseason. I dare say this thing is short one closer and a setup man. BJ is not reliable enough to bring in on the road. At home he's ok (sort of), but long term he's not the solution.

Pretty good summary from another board I read.

The best news, however, is that this team has far exceeded expectations and has brought us to Monday August 31st, a mere 5 days until the beginning of the college football season for the Horns.

DVD is now done.Diamond DFA'ed today.
The end of a weird era here in Rangerland. I can't remember a trio of pitchers hyped like that before for Texas. (Bobby Witt, Juan Guzman, and ????) As a wise man once told me, "There is no such thing as a pitching prospect."

The end of a weird era here in Rangerland. I can't remember a trio of pitchers hyped like that before for Texas. (Bobby Witt, Juan Guzman, and ????) As a wise man once told me, "There is no such thing as a pitching prospect."
Well, Danks seems to have worked out within his expectations. Volquez was fine till he hit an injury wall likely due to being mismanaged. Diamond was always the shakiest of the three. The early age they were IDed for success makes 2 out of 3 a pretty good success rate.

Bogart said:
culdeus said:
The 1986 staff had Guzman, Witt and Edwin Correa (the youngest pitcher in the MLB at the time) to go with Charlie Hough. The Bobby V lovefest was in its prime. Oddibe McDowell was an up and coming star. Mitch Williams and Ruben Sierra were rookies. The Jeff Kunkel experiment was ongoing. Pete Incaviglia set the club record for HRs with 30. Toby Harrah came back for his last hurrah. That was the best Rangers team in my memory until they made the playoffs.ETA - It's still quite possibly my favorite Rangers team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bogart said:
culdeus said:
The 1986 staff had Guzman, Witt and Edwin Correa (the youngest pitcher in the MLB at the time) to go with Charlie Hough. The Bobby V lovefest was in its prime. Oddibe McDowell was an up and coming star. Mitch Williams and Ruben Sierra were rookies. The Jeff Kunkel experiment was ongoing. Pete Incaviglia set the club record for HRs with 30. Toby Harrah came back for his last hurrah. That was the best Rangers team in my memory until they made the playoffs.ETA - It's still quite possibly my favorite Rangers team.
Agreed. Most likely my favorite team as well. This was the same year that I started collecting baseball cards. It was a perfect storm for baseball love.

Bogart said:
culdeus said:
Well, Danks seems to have worked out within his expectations. Volquez was fine till he hit an injury wall likely due to being mismanaged. Diamond was always the shakiest of the three. The early age they were IDed for success makes 2 out of 3 a pretty good success rate.
True about Danks and Volquez, but they never did it in Ranger Red. That part of it makes it a wasted trio of talent.

I've found this thing on the brink a few times, but without a sweep today it is absolutely totally and unequivocally over.

Progress:

Number of Starts: 27

Number of Total Innings: 172.0

Average Innings per Start: 6.37

10-9, 3.77 ERA, 1.366 WHIP, 105 K

Number of Innings Left: 8.0

Number of Possible Starts Remaining*: 6

Average Number of Innings Needed per Remaining Starts: 1.333

On pace for the season: 210.21 (personal best: 228.0)

Horrible start the other night. Does get him under 9 innings for the magical 180, so now every game is must see. Unless the OSB decides to put Millwood in the bullpen.

Rangers up 5-0 in the top of the first on homers by Byrd and Pudge :thumbup:
5 spot in the first, 5 spot in the ninth to win 10-0.Feldman wins his 12th game on the ROAD. Wow.1.5 back.
It's going to come down to next week. If the Ranger's can hang in.. LAA and BOS play each other, LAA plays NYY and we match up with LAA. I think there will be a lot of speration in the next 10-14 days in both the division and wildcard race. I'm just glad the bats are working again... only wish Milwood and Holland would return to form.

Rangers up 5-0 in the top of the first on homers by Byrd and Pudge :shrug:
5 spot in the first, 5 spot in the ninth to win 10-0.Feldman wins his 12th game on the ROAD. Wow.1.5 back.
It's going to come down to next week. If the Ranger's can hang in.. LAA and BOS play each other, LAA plays NYY and we match up with LAA. I think there will be a lot of speration in the next 10-14 days in both the division and wildcard race. I'm just glad the bats are working again... only wish Milwood and Holland would return to form.
Millwood is gassed. Holland. Dunno. I guess we just cheer for a LA sweep next week. yes/no

Progress:

Number of Starts: 27

Number of Total Innings: 172.0

Average Innings per Start: 6.37

10-9, 3.77 ERA, 1.366 WHIP, 105 K

Number of Innings Left: 8.0

Number of Possible Starts Remaining*: 6

Average Number of Innings Needed per Remaining Starts: 1.333

On pace for the season: 210.21 (personal best: 228.0)

Horrible start the other night. Does get him under 9 innings for the magical 180, so now every game is must see. Unless the OSB decides to put Millwood in the bullpen.
Last 11 starts, the real Millwood has come out, 5.77 ERA, 2 wins. That $12 million is gonna sting next year.

I've found this thing on the brink a few times, but without a sweep today it is absolutely totally and unequivocally over.
It's quite agonizing that they won't just die so we can move on with our lives.
When did the second game even start? Was it on TV?
I realize this is a few days late, but it was on Channel 27. I know this because it was one of the few games my poor old grandfather who refuses to pay for cable got to watch.

Progress:

Number of Starts: 28

Number of Total Innings: 175.6

Average Innings per Start: 6.27

10-10, 3.94 ERA, 1.395 WHIP, 109 K

Number of Innings Left: 4.3

Number of Possible Starts Remaining*: 5

Average Number of Innings Needed per Remaining Starts: 0.860

On pace for the season: 200.64 (personal best: 228.0)

I am getting tired of saying its his worst start of the year lately. This thing feels like a NASCAR car going strong for around the track and then at the last turn hitting a bump, flipping multiple times in the air, bursting into flames and sliding across the Finish Line backwards and on its hood.

Millwood sunk this thing. His last 12 starts have been an utter abortion.

That rainy sloppy field was unfit to play on.

I think that's a wrap now. Been a good season, but now it's a matter of trying out a few arms late to see if they look good for 2010.

Bogart said:

Progress:

Number of Starts: 28

Number of Total Innings: 175.6

Average Innings per Start: 6.27

10-10, 3.94 ERA, 1.395 WHIP, 109 K

Number of Innings Left: 4.3

Number of Possible Starts Remaining*: 5

Average Number of Innings Needed per Remaining Starts: 0.860

On pace for the season: 200.64 (personal best: 228.0)

I am getting tired of saying its his worst start of the year lately. This thing feels like a NASCAR car going strong for around the track and then at the last turn hitting a bump, flipping multiple times in the air, bursting into flames and sliding across the Finish Line backwards and on its hood.
I think it is time to bench Millwood. No way can they pay him 12 million next year.

Funny that they are saying Millwood to miss "a start or two". I mean what if he comes back for just one start and they pull him after 4 or something?

Funny that they are saying Millwood to miss "a start or two". I mean what if he comes back for just one start and they pull him after 4 or something?
My favorite rationale for this (which I read on a Liverpool FC fan board dedicated to bashing everything Tom Hicks) is that since Major League Baseball controls the Rangers' purse strings, they've ordered the Rangers to sit Millwood for the rest of the year.

September numbers

Feldman - 3 GS / 20.0 IP / 3.15 ERA / 1.00 WHIP

Nippert - 1 GS / 10.0 IP / 3.60 ERA / 1.40 WHIP

Hunter - 3 GS / 21.1 IP / 4.22 ERA / 1.08 WHIP

McCarthy- 2 GS / 12.2 IP / 4.26 ERA / 0.95 WHIP

Millwood- 2 GS / 8.2 IP / 10.38 ERA / 2.42 WHIP

Holland - 2 GS / 9.1 IP / 10.61 ERA / 2.04 WHIP

Other than being a nice guy. What is the rationale for putting Millwood back out there to vest?

If the Rangers somehow pull the plug on Millwood 13 outs away from vesting, I will expect that this team will never, ever, EVER be able to sign another free agent to any kind of incententive based deal.

Also expect the Players Union to boycott the team as well.

If the Rangers somehow pull the plug on Millwood 13 outs away from vesting, I will expect that this team will never, ever, EVER be able to sign another free agent to any kind of incententive based deal.Also expect the Players Union to boycott the team as well.
Ya, probably so. You just know that Hicksy is waiting to say we can't afford Byrd because we got held hostage by Millwood.

If the Rangers somehow pull the plug on Millwood 13 outs away from vesting, I will expect that this team will never, ever, EVER be able to sign another free agent to any kind of incententive based deal.Also expect the Players Union to boycott the team as well.
Ya, probably so. You just know that Hicksy is waiting to say we can't afford Byrd because we got held hostage by Millwood.
Rumors starting that MLB is stepping in and telling the Rangers to sit Millwood. Looks like he is done for the year for reasons unknown anyways. Amazing.

Church.

This team is done. You can't count on sweeping 7 games against LAAAAAAA to get into the playoffs. It just will not happen.

I love this team more than anything, and this season was amazing. You just can't help but think what we could have done if there would have been money to spend at the trade deadline.

Thank you Michael Young. Your leadership was huge this year. I apologize for thinking this team should have traded you before your big contract set in. You are the rock and foundation of this team.

Thank you Elvis Andrus. The greatest rookie season since Pudge. A master of your position at such a young age. I pray to Baseball Jesus that you will spend the next decade applying your craft 81 games a year in Arlington. A player that I can show as example to my young son on how to play this game and have fun doing it. If you become a Yankee, I will quit baseball forever.

Thank you Kevin Millwood. Thank you for buying in to the new pitching mentality here. Without you on board, I feel that many of the youngsters would not have followed suit. Thank you for your Chase for 180. Let me be the first to say I am sorry if indeed you come 13 outs short.

Thank you Mike Maddux. You have worked miracles here in Arlington. The fans here have no idea how to cheer good pitching. They will come around.

Thank you Marlon Byrd. The hero of the Rangers outfield. Pushed into duty, you played every day and you played well. You deserve a nice contract from someone next year. I hope it is Texas.

Thank you Neftali Feliz. Playing catch at 100 mph never looked so easy. Deciding your role for 2010 will be the single greatest question in the offseason. The last line to Andrus goes for you as well.

Thank you Chris Davis. Hidden behind 139 strikeouts and a 0.212 average was amazing play at first base night in and night out.

Thank you Scott Feldman and Tommy Hunter. The poster children for Mike Maddux pitching. Work hard in the offseason and take your place at the top of the rotation for 2010.

Thank you Julio Borbon. I can not wait to watch you in CF and hitting leadoff for the next several years. Your speed is like Andrus' defense and Feliz' arm. Amazing gifts to watch every day.

Thank you Nolan Ryan. Just for being Nolan. I Love You.

Rumors starting that MLB is stepping in and telling the Rangers to sit Millwood. Looks like he is done for the year for reasons unknown anyways. Amazing.
I reported this rumor two days ago. You should try reading the thread some time.

I reported this rumor two days ago. You should try reading the thread some time.
I will cut you

Users who are viewing this thread