What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (11 Viewers)

There is a decent alternative: Black Summer by Netflix. It's average acting, and they do some pretty dumb stuff sometimes but the zombies are fast and the horror is closer to R rated than it is AMC primetime.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Michonne is the next character to leave the series.  She will not die though and is intended to be a part of the tv movies with Rick and will be a part time character in the next season before being written off.

It does not sound like next season is the last though for the show.  Looks like they are just going to run until cancelled instead of having a real ending.
AMC really looking to bleed the zombie genre dry as can be. damn shame

There is a decent alternative: Black Summer by Netflix. It's average acting, and they do some pretty dumb stuff sometimes but the zombies are fast and the horror is closer to R rated than it is AMC primetime.  
yeah, i'm a fan does a good job 

==========================

AMC has announced it is green-lighting a third scripted series set in the world of The Walking Dead. According to the network, the series “will feature two young female protagonists and focus on the first generation to come-of-age in the apocalypse as we know it. Some will become heroes. Some will become villains. In the end, all of them will be changed forever. Grown-up and cemented in their identities, both good and bad.”

The series was created by chief content officer Scott M. Gimple and TWDwriter/producer Matt Negrete, who will act as showrunner and will start production on 10 episodes this summer in Virginia to premiere in 2020. Whether any characters will cross over from The Walking Dead or Fear — in the same way Lennie James’ Morgan and Austin Amelio’s Dwight have recently moved from the first show to the second — remains to be seen.
If they are going to continue to try and milk this property, to me they should have gone with an anthology series with this one.

Different seasons focused on a single 10-episode story, from different timeframes and locations during the zombie apocalypse.  One season from the perspective of people working in the government as the outbreak started. One season in a big city like NYC.  

Shake it up, make it interesting, tell focused stories with a clear arc. 

yeah, i'm a fan does a good job 
I watched a few episodes based on the recommendations in the FFA. Got to the Lord of the flies ep in the school. 

You guys seriously see this as any better or different than TWD? I don't. Chock full of dumb.

I watched a few episodes based on the recommendations in the FFA. Got to the Lord of the flies ep in the school. 

You guys seriously see this as any better or different than TWD? I don't. Chock full of dumb.
yeah, the school thing was kind of strange. but character wise i like some of them better than some of the TWD. camera work is fun, and story is less predictable. the beginning of society breaking down is usually more fun because so many variations it can take

Three reasons why it is a bit better than TWD:

1- Fast zombies.  Zombies aren't even a threat on TWD and haven't been for years. I mean full on sprints to get away from these things makes it a lot more intriguing. 

2- Even though the acting and choices they sometime make are on par with TWD, there is no daytime soap opera story lines to put up with because they are too busy trying to stay alive, see item #1. 

3. The gore is closer to R rated than it is AMC family time.  

yeah, the school thing was kind of strange. but character wise i like some of them better than some of the TWD. camera work is fun, and story is less predictable. the beginning of society breaking down is usually more fun because so many variations it can take
I thought episode 5 -Diner was awesome. Lots of interplay between conflicting characters. They tried (and were still trying) to figure out how to kill them. Then, dramatically, they chose to sacrifice the one they "think" might be infected. (Where have I seen/read that before?)  And then at the climax the other group comes in to help them kill them off. Hopefully they learned something from the headshot made by the pretend army guy. The music and videography from the fight ending to the end of the episode was kick ###. 

Thought episode 6 was awesome too. Did you guys notice the screen play for that episode probably had less than 20 words in it?(minus the screams)  All actions and situations. 

Got to call out the dumb parts tho. 1) an unnoticed OD probably would have wiped out that place long ago. 2) that Zippo would have gotten hot after 5-10 minutes  3) the wooden spool wasn't going to do anything to block the exit, although the Molotov cocktail on the first exit was good. 

@modogg

@El Floppo

That's where I'm at and was thinking of bailing but sounds like there is good stuff coming up. Will give it a few more episodes.

As for TWD, think I'm done. It took me 3 weeks to remember to watch the finale and it was pretty bad. I have better things to do than watch a show just so I can ##### about in a thread on fantasy football site. I'd probably watch the movies but not interested in any of the spinoffs and the show itself is just really bad now.

Thought episode 6 was awesome too. Did you guys notice the screen play for that episode probably had less than 20 words in it?(minus the screams)  All actions and situations. 

Got to call out the dumb parts tho. 1) an unnoticed OD probably would have wiped out that place long ago. 2) that Zippo would have gotten hot after 5-10 minutes  3) the wooden spool wasn't going to do anything to block the exit, although the Molotov cocktail on the first exit was good. 

@modogg

@El Floppo
Definitely some goofy stuff, but there was a lot of action and fast zombies. 

In an early episode when they were in the van they were acting as if they were going really fast and the engine was revving but the view of terrain passing by in the windows looked they were going about 10 mph.

Yes, but even blizzard conditions only last a couple of hours.  And it's much more common in the middle of the country than on the east coast.  As I said, the last time there was a blizzard like the one they showed out this way, was most likely the Ice Age.

The term blizzard gets thrown around a lot here on the east coast.  We call every big storm "The Blizzard of ______", but truthfully, only a small area sees blizzard conditions and it's usually only for a small time frame.  The conditions they showed looked like a scene from The Thing.  Virginia does not get snow like that.
You have to put yourself in their shoes. 

They don't have the local news to watch to see how long or how much snow they're going to get.  They need to consider the worst case when dealing with the elements.  They also don't have vehicles that have AWD.  They're also pulling their supplies by horse and buggy so bad elements make the passable roads, impassable. 

Think about what happens when you get an inch of snow in Minnesota.  Now take that same inch and put it in Florida.  One place, people don't even notice it.  The other place, it shuts down the city.  In a zombie apocalypse that's been around for what 10 years or so, Alexandria would be like Florida wrt snow.  

You have to put yourself in their shoes. 

They don't have the local news to watch to see how long or how much snow they're going to get.  They need to consider the worst case when dealing with the elements.  They also don't have vehicles that have AWD.  They're also pulling their supplies by horse and buggy so bad elements make the passable roads, impassable. 

Think about what happens when you get an inch of snow in Minnesota.  Now take that same inch and put it in Florida.  One place, people don't even notice it.  The other place, it shuts down the city.  In a zombie apocalypse that's been around for what 10 years or so, Alexandria would be like Florida wrt snow.  
Wait.  What?  I'm crapping on the writers.  Not the characters.  Unless you mean the writers don't have local news.  Or AWD.  I mean, I don't really pay too much attention to the writers' lives, so that could be true.  

Over the last week, I have read the entire 193 issue comic series, of which the story is now complete.  The comics and tv show have roughly been in lock step for general story lines but both have diverged significantly on character arcs.  For those interested, this is how The Walking Dead comics ended

After The Whisperers conflict ends, the group meets up with the Commonwealth community.

At the Commonwealth, Michonne finds her thought to be long dead daughter alive and she decides to live there and go back to her original profession of being a lawyer.

The Commonwealth group is split between seemingly a happy community and one that hates its leaders due to going back to the old days of a class system.

Eventually the people want Rick to take over as their leader.

The previous leaders son shoots and kills Rick.

Carl is the first to find a zombified Rick and has to shoot him in the head.  

The second to last issue is the journey home to bury Rick next to Andrea, his long time partner and love.

The last issue starts with a massive time jump into the future of 20+ years.

We find that Carl is living on a farm, married to his long time friend Sophia with their daughter Andrea.

Eugene has almost finished his life work of rebuilding a train network that connects the various communities.

The country is now divided into a large safe zone, almost totally free of zombies and an unsafe zone still with roamers.

Carl encounters a very rare roamer on his fields, and kills it.

The roamer turned out to be one of the specimens from Herschel's (Maggie's son) traveling circus.

We find out that Maggie is President of the safe zone.

We follow Carl on some travels where he meets various characters who are still alive, including his first love Lydia, the whisperer.  It is strongly hinted that Neegan is still alive and living on his own.

Much of the theme of the last issue deals with Carl worrying that too many have forgotten the trials (the name given to the time before it was safe) and how dangerous the roamers could still be.

Michonne has become a judge.

The issue ends with Carl on a rocking chair, with Andrea on his lap, reading her a bed time story of the exploits of Rick Grimes, who has been immortalized as the key figure in how civilization has returned,

Kirkman then writes a long letter to the fans with some interesting revelations about his original idea of how it was going to end early at an issue in the 70's and then how he wanted to go to 300 and then why he finally had the quick surprise ending that was not publicized ahead of time.

they are forest fire fighters now, with homemade water guns stuck to their backs no less. And that training at the start? Seriously who comes up with this stuff lol

Thought it was pretty decent opening to setup the season. I didn't think the training part was nearly as bad as others.

These are a bunch of yahoo's who mostly have never picked up a weapon.
Knowing the past battles , and the future battles to come, training a bunch of rookies to defend and fight seems logical. :shrug:  

Some good Walker deaths, including Carol using one to put out the burning walker, and Daryl throwing an axe at a tree to knock it down up top of a line of walkers.
Seems next week will be a "Flashback" of sorts showing what the WHispers have been up to since drawing the line in the sand. 

Thought it was pretty decent opening to setup the season. I didn't think the training part was nearly as bad as others.

Knowing the past battles , and the future battles to come, training a bunch of rookies to defend and fight seems logical. :shrug:  

Some good Walker deaths, including Carol using one to put out the burning walker, and Daryl throwing an axe at a tree to knock it down up top of a line of walkers.
Seems next week will be a "Flashback" of sorts showing what the WHispers have been up to since drawing the line in the sand. 
There are a bunch of yahoos alive 10 years into the zombies apocalypse that havent learned how to fight yet?  

Putting out a buring walking and tipping over the tree are opposite of good kills. 

I slept through most of it, doesn’t sound like I really missed much

too many ancillary characters now 

need to kill off everyone besides Daryl, Carol, Neegan and Dog and send them on an adventure 

Still wondering why so many people are watching this if they think it's stupid.  Will never understand that. My time is too valuable to me to spend doing/watching something stupid.

Kind of a boring premiere but okay I guess for setting things up.  

I guess the sister of the deaf girl is going to bite it this season by not hearing someone walk up behind her or something.  The conversation between those two sure sets that up.

Carol putting out the fire with walker blood was stretching the bounds of silliness imo.  BTW, those walkers have been dead (except for brain activity) for a long time.  If the heart isn't pumping blood how is it still flowing freely through their body?  Wouldn't it just coagulate and turn solid?  

Some nicely shot kills by Michonne, though.  When she chops off a head or in two, blood doesn't flow out like it did with Carol.  Digress.  

I guess the sister of the deaf girl is going to bite it this season by not hearing someone walk up behind her or something.  The conversation between those two sure sets that up.

Carol putting out the fire with walker blood was stretching the bounds of silliness imo.  BTW, those walkers have been dead (except for brain activity) for a long time.  If the heart isn't pumping blood how is it still flowing freely through their body?  Wouldn't it just coagulate and turn solid?  

Some nicely shot kills by Michonne, though.  When she chops off a head or in two, blood doesn't flow out like it did with Carol.  Digress.  
I just took it as some of the zombies are "newer" then some.  People are becoming zombies each and every day.

True but they don't decay that quickly.  Those in the woods have been decayed for awhile.  
Yeah, I don't dive too deep into that stuff.  New and old zombies are the furthest I go in a show like this. You'll drive yourself crazy otherwise.  Just try to enjoy it for what it is.  

Still wondering why so many people are watching this if they think it's stupid.  Will never understand that. My time is too valuable to me to spend doing/watching something stupid.
Good question.  I put like 8 years into this thing and nothing else is really on sunday nights at like 10pm.  It is kinda interesting to see how far this show can fall, I am hoping they can come up with saomething good this season but its not looking promising after that first episode.  You can't tell me that was a good premier?    :shrug:

I watched an episode this weekend from like 4-5 years ago, its sad with all the good characters they had and killed off, and they were just never able to replace them with anyone decent.

I still like Daryl and dog anyways. 

mozzy84 said:
Good question.  I put like 8 years into this thing and nothing else is really on sunday nights at like 10pm.  It is kinda interesting to see how far this show can fall, I am hoping they can come up with saomething good this season but its not looking promising after that first episode.  You can't tell me that was a good premier?    :shrug:

I watched an episode this weekend from like 4-5 years ago, its sad with all the good characters they had and killed off, and they were just never able to replace them with anyone decent.

I still like Daryl and dog anyways. 
Didn't see anything wrong with the premier.  You can't make everyone happy I guess.  I know there were rumblings about having the survivors battle against more zombies rather than another colony of people.  This episode showed that.  People wanted more of what life would be like 10 or so years after an apocalypse.  This show has showed it with the weening out of vehicles and moving to horses, etc.  They continually come up with new ways of killing walkers, after all these years.  There are some decent characters, with more coming. For every good character killed off, there are at least that many "redshirts" that have been killed off.  The only characters I really miss are Rick, Shane, and Abraham.  

Jayrok said:

With how fast the outbreak happened there wouldn't be any zombies left 10 years later.  They already did the decayed rotting zombie corps thing several times and that was before they jumped ahead six years.  Sure people still turn when they die of natural causes, but, that would mean a community would need to be taken off guard and get caught with a mini outbreak to produce any sort of horde or even small group walking through the woods that we keep seeing.

Jayrok said:
For the last couple of seasons, I thought that character was a dude but wasn’t certain.  Thanks for clarifying.  

tonydead said:
snogger said:

There are a bunch of yahoos alive 10 years into the zombies apocalypse that havent learned how to fight yet?  

Putting out a buring walking and tipping over the tree are opposite of good kills. 
Ok, guess I should have stated.. Different ways to kill zombies was good.. :mellow:  

And the Yahoo's have survived basically on their own, and in any big battle it was Chaos X infinity..
So, knowing that they need to fight as group to survive, and not alone, training is imperative and is working per the fire scene. 

Didn't see anything wrong with the premier.  You can't make everyone happy I guess.  I know there were rumblings about having the survivors battle against more zombies rather than another colony of people.  This episode showed that.  People wanted more of what life would be like 10 or so years after an apocalypse.  This show has showed it with the weening out of vehicles and moving to horses, etc.  They continually come up with new ways of killing walkers, after all these years.  There are some decent characters, with more coming. For every good character killed off, there are at least that many "redshirts" that have been killed off.  The only characters I really miss are Rick, Shane, and Abraham.  
:goodposting:  

Ok, guess I should have stated.. Different ways to kill zombies was good.. :mellow:  

And the Yahoo's have survived basically on their own, and in any big battle it was Chaos X infinity..
So, knowing that they need to fight as group to survive, and not alone, training is imperative and is working per the fire scene. 
By working together you mean too dudes holding open shields so 7 year old Judith can spear'em?

I am pretty sure that was a metaphor.

Otherwise, yeah, WTF?!
Guess they were referencing the enormous herd that was being kept down in that valley the last time we saw it. That closing scene was over the top stupid. Almost as stupid as a satellite coming down that intact, but whatever. Used to be a helicopter would draw zombies from all over too, so that fireball should bring the whole eastern seaboard towards them.

I just can't get in to the whole Whisperers thing. Just about the least interesting "threat" of the entire 8 seasons or whatever for me. Then again, I find the whole enemy being other humans thing uninteresting in general. I know, it makes sense, blah blah blah. But the show is called Walking Dead damnit. Not "Walking Other Live People."

I just can't get in to the whole Whisperers thing. Just about the least interesting "threat" of the entire 8 seasons or whatever for me. Then again, I find the whole enemy being other humans thing uninteresting in general. I know, it makes sense, blah blah blah. But the show is called Walking Dead damnit. Not "Walking Other Live People."
I am going to ask again because I skipped a ton of last season because this show has gotten just really stupid.  But a few seasons ago when they had the showdown with Negans crew Michonne and co had a huge arsenal of machine guns etc.  This season (and I think last) there is not a gun to be seen.  Did I miss something that happened to them or is it just more crappy writing because ammo, if stored correctly, will last a long long time.   I googled and nothing came up.

This show would be much more entertaining if the plot was like, okay we are launching a huge assault into the whisperers region and we are going to #### them up so we can get rid of this threat and live in peace.  But now we are talking about satellites, roman army tactics, and fishing boats.   So stupid.

And why is Negan still locked up? 

Guess they were referencing the enormous herd that was being kept down in that valley the last time we saw it. That closing scene was over the top stupid. Almost as stupid as a satellite coming down that intact, but whatever. Used to be a helicopter would draw zombies from all over too, so that fireball should bring the whole eastern seaboard towards them.
Does that scene with Carol mean that the enormous herd is gone? Also, WTF doesn’t Carol duck? Hey guys I know where the Whisperers are and we have the complete element of surprise. SMH.

I said this a while back but the Whisperers could have been a way to reboot the show. Remember when Eugene and Rosita were scared ####less and covering themselves in mud? The awful show runners wanted to introduce us personally to a strong female bad guy so bad that it took 1 episode to figure out they were humans in disguise. Terror and chance to go back to the early darker/harder times gone. Nope, we want crazy lady and a dorky blossoming relationship that sucks the life out of the show.

Why do I still watch?

I am going to ask again because I skipped a ton of last season because this show has gotten just really stupid.  But a few seasons ago when they had the showdown with Negans crew Michonne and co had a huge arsenal of machine guns etc.  This season (and I think last) there is not a gun to be seen.  Did I miss something that happened to them or is it just more crappy writing because ammo, if stored correctly, will last a long long time.   I googled and nothing came up.

This show would be much more entertaining if the plot was like, okay we are launching a huge assault into the whisperers region and we are going to #### them up so we can get rid of this threat and live in peace.  But now we are talking about satellites, roman army tactics, and fishing boats.   So stupid.

And why is Negan still locked up? 
I think the arsenal they used against Negan's group was from Oceanside.  Seem to remember they had tons of weapons and they helped in the war.  I guess they used up what ammo they had left around that time or after.  Eugene was in the process of making bullets or had the means to do so but not sure what happened to that.  Equipment destroyed maybe.  He did sabotage the ammo he made for Negan's team to make their weapons backfire.  

Then there was the 6 year jump in time after Rick flew off in the chopper.  Don't remember if they explained it or not. 

Users who are viewing this thread