What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official** Thor: Ragnarok movie thread (2 Viewers)

So, I liked it, but...

They amped up the silly meter on Thor and Hulk a little too much. I know that's what they intended, but those characters were already too established to do that. Ant-man and GotG, fine, it's their introduction into the MCU so you can have any slant. To go from almost humorless to Laurel and Hardy was a little jolting. I still liked the plot and action and there were some good laughs in there, but I think this one will shake out in the middle of the MCU pack for me (which still means it was a really good movie).

Still the best Thor movie though.  I actually liked Thor Dark World better than the first one though  :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked it a lot but these movies used to be action movies with some funny moments thrown in but they're veering more towards comedies with some action moments thrown in. 

Enjoyed it.  I am interested to see how they show Thor moving forward.  (hair, Mjolnir ... other things not shown in previews)
I actually hope his hair is grown back out by the next movie and maybe have created a new hammer

Will he be Mr. Electric power now?  He always used Mjolnir to summon the storm.

I think the loss of his eye is a nice touch. 

I enjoyed the movie in 2D.  I’m not familiar with any of the comics so I can’t comment on how faithful the movie is to those characters/story lines. As other FBGs have alluded, it was a nice mix of action and comedy. Recommended viewing for fans of the SciFi/Marvel genre.

Hopefully we see more Jeff Goldblum in future MCU movies.  He was perfectly cast as the Grandmaster.  Mark Ruffalo was hilarious as Banner, but was a bit too neurotic for my taste. I can definitely perceive  a trend in reduced masculinity of the male characters and gender stereotype reversal as MCU progresses.  Nice to see Anthony Hopkins back as Odin.  I thought he was dead in Thor TDW.  Cate Blanchet was the right choice to play Hela.  Will watch again with a difference group of friends in 3D next week.

I can definitely perceive  a trend in reduced masculinity of the male characters and gender stereotype reversal as MCU progresses.
Really? Stark, Thor, and even Captain America in his own old school way are all like the epitome of Alpha males. Now you can add Black Panther to that, Peter Quill, Dr. Strange imo.

Obviously you have the Antman/Peter Parker/Banner/etc. types but those have always been their characters for the most part. There are some badass female heroes in the MCU now (with Black Widow starting the trend all the way back in Iron Man 2) but I don't think you can say it's resulting in or coinciding with a reduction of the masculinity of the male heroes--we're just digging deeper into the comic mythology a decade in and seeing less mainstream, dorkier characters that rarely ever got screen time before, or were never presented enough like their comicbook selves in the first place. 

Maybe I misunderstood your comment. But it seemed like a strange one to make after viewing a Thor movie. 

Awesome movie. The rock guy was hilarious, that director who voiced him is multi-talented--Incredible comedic timing. 

One thing that happened off screen that I would have liked to see on-screen, or at least addressed a little bit more: the shifting power balance between Banner and Hulk and why it changed. Hulk is not only gaining more control, but he's able to speak now. He's basically a child, but he can put thoughts together and be reasoned with. That's interesting. I'm a comics guy but was never a Hulk guy--is this something that happens in the comics, where Banner and Hulk struggle for balance but eventually (I assume) kind of merge into one dominant personality that can control the transformation? 

That first post-credit scene--was that giant ship related to Thanos at all? Obviously Loki took the infinity stone being stored in the vault, right? Hela knocking the infinity gauntlet onto the floor was a funny moment, knowing how important it is in the overarching story. Edit: just realized she declares it a fake when she does that, which makes sense since we already got a post-credit scene in another movie of Thanos putting it on--they probably had to close that loophole since when they showed the gauntlet in the vault in Thor 1 almost 10 years ago, it was just supposed to be an easter egg--then the story actually went that direction. 

I'm actually a little surprised we didn't get more Thanos mentions/Easter eggs (unless I missed them) since Thor was out in the open galaxy where #### is really going down, like the Guardians of the Galaxy are. 

Saw it Saturday night, it was great, they knocked it out of the park. So good I want to go see it again in 3d. Loved all the humor, thought for sure the last credit scene would be Hela's wolf doing something similar to the ice creature at the end of the Dark World.

As fan of the previous Thor movies, only nitpicks would be did they have to

kill off the Warrior's Three so unceremoniously? I get that they wanted to introduce Hela as an all-powerful badass, but Fandral & Volstagg are killed in like the blink of an eye. Hogun is the only one who gets more than a second of screen time. And no mention at all of where Sif is (I get the real world reason with her having a tv show these days, but they couldn't fit in one short line of her being off-world on a mission or banished or something?) The new Valkyrie chick was hot and all, but I much prefer Natalie Portman, even if Jane Foster's character wouldn't fit anywhere in the plot of this movie.

from IMDB trivia section

As his hammer was destroyed by Hela, Thor is said to have a sledgehammer for later films. This hammer is said to be called Stormbreaker.
[/QUOTE]
So I wonder if that leads to the eventual appearance of...

Beta Ray Bill.  The Asgardians fleeing their home on a ship also has a major similarity to his storyline, I believe? 

Corporation said:
So, I liked it, but...

They amped up the silly meter on Thor and Hulk a little too much. I know that's what they intended, but those characters were already too established to do that. Ant-man and GotG, fine, it's their introduction into the MCU so you can have any slant. To go from almost humorless to Laurel and Hardy was a little jolting. I still liked the plot and action and there were some good laughs in there, but I think this one will shake out in the middle of the MCU pack for me (which still means it was a really good movie).

Still the best Thor movie though.  I actually liked Thor Dark World better than the first one though  :bag:
I thought they over did it with the humor too . Always been a big Thor fan and never did like it that they portray him as the dumb cute guy over the regal warrior he should be in the MCU. At least they did a better job of showing how powerful he really is. Still the best Thor movie.

As fan of the previous Thor movies, only nitpicks would be did they have to

kill off the Warrior's Three so unceremoniously? I get that they wanted to introduce Hela as an all-powerful badass, but Fandral & Volstagg are killed in like the blink of an eye. Hogun is the only one who gets more than a second of screen time. And no mention at all of where Sif is (I get the real world reason with her having a tv show these days, but they couldn't fit in one short line of her being off-world on a mission or banished or something?) The new Valkyrie chick was hot and all, but I much prefer Natalie Portman, even if Jane Foster's character wouldn't fit anywhere in the plot of this movie.
Agreed, I'm not a fan of the way that was done.  But it is kind of in keeping with Ragnorak.

Beta Ray Bill.  The Asgardians fleeing their home on a ship also has a major similarity to his storyline, I believe? 
Or Balder.

More of an Easter Egg:

IIRC, one of the gladiator champions faces/statues on the GrandMaster's tower was a Korbonite. I wonder if that was supposed to be Beta Ray Bill?

i like the humor in these movies like starlord that brohan just cracks me up so i will not be sad to hear some one liners like puny god when i finally get to see this one in about a year or two when it is out on dvd take that to the bank brochacharinos 

dumb question......Do you need to see the others to see this one ?
there are a bunch of in jokes that to get you need to know the rest of the MCU but the movie is fairly stand alone if you don't really care about all the easter eggs and tie ins.

Some general knowledge of Hulk is assumed.

You would probably want to read at least how Dark World ended so that you can understand the Odin/Loki/Thor dynamic in movie.

Few things not mentioned (other than really liking the movie):

• Cate Blanchette is smokin' hot in this movie.
  • Really glad they didn't "joke up" Idris Elba's character (Heimdall).
  • Tessa Thompson (Valkyie) almost stole the movie.

Agree with all of this.

If it wasn't for Cate Blanchett's cheekbones, I wouldn't have even been sure it was her in that role.

If it wasn't for Cate Blanchett's cheekbones, I wouldn't have even been sure it was her in that role.
During the movie, I was like “She looks familiar....”, but I couldn’t place her.  I didn’t know it was Cate until the credits.

Partly in my defense, she did have a lot of makeup on...

Enjoyed it.  I am interested to see how they show Thor moving forward.  (hair, Mjolnir ... other things not shown in previews)
I actually hope his hair is grown back out by the next movie and maybe have created a new hammer

Will he be Mr. Electric power now?  He always used Mjolnir to summon the storm.

I think the loss of his eye is a nice touch. 
It was interesting for me that it went that route with Thor after losing Mjolnir.  I had a conversation just days before the movie with a friend who knows comics better than I, about a hypothetical fight (Thor without his hammer vs Capt Marvel/Carol Danvers).

He'd commented that Thor's lightning powers had little to do with Mjolnir, but that so far Marvel seemed to have totally forgotten that in the movies.  So it was kind of timely seeing the movie a few days later and seeing where they went.

Why was he "stuck" as Hulk for two years? Why didn't he go back to Banner?

The Hulk wouldn't let him change back. They are separate personalities. Banner said in the past it was like they each had one hand on the wheel and shared control. Now, when in Hulk form, Banner's in the backseat and the Hulk doesn't have to change back if he doesn't want to. 

During the movie, I was like “She looks familiar....”, but I couldn’t place her.  I didn’t know it was Cate until the credits.

Partly in my defense, she did have a lot of makeup on...
My first thought was Eva Green, though could tell it wasn't her eyes.  Blanchett has such distinctive cheekbones though once I noticed those I figured it out.

I didn't catch who was Odin in Loki's play, either.  Had to see it in the credits.  Now I want to see that scene again!

My first thought was Eva Green, though could tell it wasn't her eyes.  Blanchett has such distinctive cheekbones though once I noticed those I figured it out.

I didn't catch who was Odin in Loki's play, either.  Had to see it in the credits.  Now I want to see that scene again!
Everybody cracked up and caught who it was playing Loki obviously, but I missed Odin also. Even less recognizable but fun was the actor playing Thor in the play, Luke Hemsworth, Chris' younger brother.

NewlyRetired said:
SWC said:
is starlord in this one or what take that to the bank brohans 
no he is not in the movie.  The guardians will next show up in Infinity War
how about the raccoon guy he is pretty funny with witty comments and retorts a sundry take that to the bank brohan 

bcdjr1 said:
The Hulk wouldn't let him change back. They are separate personalities. Banner said in the past it was like they each had one hand on the wheel and shared control. Now, when in Hulk form, Banner's in the backseat and the Hulk doesn't have to change back if he doesn't want to. 
Trunk, locked in the trunk with Hulk having the keys.

Buckna said:
Everybody cracked up and caught who it was playing Loki obviously, but I missed Odin also. Even less recognizable but fun was the actor playing Thor in the play, Luke Hemsworth, Chris' younger brother.
His other, less-famous, younger brother. The one who was in Westworld, not The Hunger Games.

So, I liked it, but...

understandable, but I loved it. A couple jokes seemed forced but most were natural and actually funny.

:yes: to all. Would love to see Valkyries get a movie, eventually. 

Why was he "stuck" as Hulk for two years? Why didn't he go back to Banner?
Seems like he was always angry. 

Not GotG 1 good, but in the next tier.

If they were to make a Valkyries movie I would like it to be a prequel. Show her training and the final battle being against Hela. 

Hulk not only takes over when Banner is angry, but as a survival mechanism. I remember in the 1st Avenger film Banner talking about how low he got and he put in a gun in his mouth to end it, and the other guy spit it out. Tony Stark also hinted that maybe the gamma rays didn't make him Hulk, that Hulk was in there the whole time and he saved his life from the gamma rays. So with Hulk crashing into a new planet and being found and forced to fight he just stayed as Hulk because if he turned back into Banner the Grandmaster might have used the melting stick on him

Took the kids yesterday morning.  We all enjoyed it(they're 10 and almost 8).  I loved the 80ish sounding music, rock guy, Grandmaster, Drunk girl.  Seemed like they tried too hard with the comedy sometimes though.

I was never a comic book guy.  The first comic book movie I saw at the movies was Age of Ultron, though I did see the first two Bale Batman movies and enjoyed them.

With my kids gaining interest in these movies, I've probably seen them all 10 times now, even went by myself to see Dr. Strange lol.  Ragnorak would probably be in my top 10.  Hard to beat out Winter Soldier, GOTG, Iron Man, Deadpool and 1st Avengers/new Spiderman/Antman for me.

PS...Loki had to take that

msudaisy26 said:
Hulk not only takes over when Banner is angry, but as a survival mechanism. I remember in the 1st Avenger film Banner talking about how low he got and he put in a gun in his mouth to end it, and the other guy spit it out. Tony Stark also hinted that maybe the gamma rays didn't make him Hulk, that Hulk was in there the whole time and he saved his life from the gamma rays. So with Hulk crashing into a new planet and being found and forced to fight he just stayed as Hulk because if he turned back into Banner the Grandmaster might have used the melting stick on him
I can get behind this, but the melting stick probably wouldn't work as Bruce would get rather pissed if the stick got near him. 

I'm sticking with "he was always angry" answer. 

I do like that hulk left Earth on his own accord. In the comics he was sent off, tricked by the Illuminati (Tony, Prof X, Namor, Reed Richards and black bolt) after he destroyed Las Vegas. 

If you enjoy comics, planet hulk is worth reading. 

Couldn't agree more with Hulk and hammer comments. Just got back and i liked it, my husband is the big Marvel fan and I try to stay up on the MCU enough so I am not lost when we go. Without giving stuff away my husband was disappointed with Hulks role. I tried to tell him it is a Thor movie, but Hulk is his favorite so. 
That's mildly surprising IMO.

Possible the best scene of the entire movie was Bruce jumping to attack the wolf. Fenrir? Pretty clearly not Loki's son in the movie :nerd:

Are we going to find out Thanos is another effed up child of Odin's?  The guy raises intergalactic psychopaths. He masks his fecal parenting skills with the wise old man act, but he has no business winning any father of the millennium awards anytime ever.

I can get behind this, but the melting stick probably wouldn't work as Bruce would get rather pissed if the stick got near him. 

I'm sticking with "he was always angry" answer. 

I do like that hulk left Earth on his own accord. In the comics he was sent off, tricked by the Illuminati (Tony, Prof X, Namor, Reed Richards and black bolt) after he destroyed Las Vegas. 

If you enjoy comics, planet hulk is worth reading. 
In the 1st Avenger Banner said he secret was he is always angry right before turning into the Hulk and smashing that big alien ship.

Users who are viewing this thread