What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official US Women's soccer thread: Gold Cup Final- US 1 - Brazil 0! (2 Viewers)

yes that is why it is called a scrimmage, as both teams were likely not at full speed.   

It still shows the massive gap between the men and women.  These were 13 and 14 year old boys, from one city, scoring more goals than I have ever seen any women's team score against the USWNT, in any level of competition from meaningless scrimmage to a WC game.

This is exactly why the women's team schedule games against this age group because it helps them get ready.   If they can some what match up with young teenage males, they are going to very well against the other female teams.
I thought the exact same thing in terms of it being very easy to find lots of competitive teams to play against but in some way it does diminish their accomplishment and ability when they get schooled by a U15 side.

I thought the exact same thing in terms of it being very easy to find lots of competitive teams to play against but in some way it does diminish their accomplishment and ability when they get schooled by a U15 side.
I don't think it does at all.

They should be compared to their peers, which are other female teams, not to men or boys.

But like we saw in the Ronda Rousey thread, some times when a female is dominant against her peers (as the USWNT has been historically), some people extrapolate that dominance to think they could beat men who are pros in the same sport.   

If there was something on the line and goal differential mattered the result would have been closer to double digits.  I'm pretty sure the Dallas academy director was insisting on sticking with passing and buildup when a bombs away blitzkrieg would better exploit the physical advantage.

They should be compared to their peers, which are other female teams, not to men or boys.

But like we saw in the Ronda Rousey thread, some times when a female is dominant against her peers (as the USWNT has been historically), some people extrapolate that dominance to think they could beat men who are pros in the same sport.   
Serena couldn’t beat the 200th ranked male player (that actually happened long ago.) Doesn’t diminish her accomplishments in the slightest.

Serena couldn’t beat the 200th ranked male player (that actually happened long ago.) Doesn’t diminish her accomplishments in the slightest.
... and wasn't he drinkin' beers in the lounge and smoking beforehand?

believe it was 6-0, 6-1 in his favor.

... and wasn't he drinkin' beers in the lounge and smoking beforehand?

believe it was 6-0, 6-1 in his favor.
That score sounds right IIRC.

:lol:  I forgot about that last part. Didn’t Venus get whipped as well? It was when they were still teenagers and hadn’t won any majors, but I doubt they would have fared much better at their peak. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Well put--so well put, I am not sure whether the RR mention was a dig at me.  :lol:   I am assuming it was though.  In my defense, I believed Joe Rogan who now says his comments were meant to be hyperbole.  Shame on me for believing him.

I guess I should have worded it another way.  Misogynistic neanderthals will use every loss to a U15 side to try to to diminish their accomplishments and skill.

Thanks Flop!  I know I'm in the minority, but I root harder for the USWNT than I do the mens' team. 

US team favored to win it all, which isn't surprising.  This team is loaded.  France, Germany and England follow the US team in the odds. 
Nothing wrong with rooting for winners. I’m looking at you USMNT fan bois.

Well put--so well put, I am not sure whether the RR mention was a dig at me.  :lol:   I am assuming it was though.  In my defense, I believed Joe Rogan who now says his comments were meant to be hyperbole.  Shame on me for believing him.

I guess I should have worded it another way.  Misogynistic neanderthals will use every loss to a U15 side to try to to diminish their accomplishments and skill.
it was not a dig at you.  I was just talking in general since the RR thread is fresh here.

People make the same mistake across many sports when looking at dominant females.

How’d that Michelle Wie qualifying for the Masters thing work out?

It’s such a silly argument. Men are bigger, stronger, faster, more powerful. So what? There are tons of non-athletic things women are better at according to university studies. Learning, achieving an advanced degree (men graduate at lower rates & take longer), hygiene (their desks are cleaner), men are 77% more likely to die in a car crash, women perform better in job interviews (likely due to preparation - they stress more before interviews than men), they’re more empathetic, they’re better listeners, they’re better at creating safe work environments, they’re WAY better at relieving stress by talking about it with their girlfriends (guys don’t talk about their issues nearly as much), they eat healthier, they live longer. We could go on for weeks finding things women do better than men.

But we’ll always be better at throwing a ball.

How’d that Michelle Wie qualifying for the Masters thing work out?

It’s such a silly argument. Men are bigger, stronger, faster, more powerful. So what? There are tons of non-athletic things women are better at according to university studies. Learning, achieving an advanced degree (men graduate at lower rates & take longer), hygiene (their desks are cleaner), men are 77% more likely to die in a car crash, women perform better in job interviews (likely due to preparation - they stress more before interviews than men), they’re more empathetic, they’re better listeners, they’re better at creating safe work environments, they’re WAY better at relieving stress by talking about it with their girlfriends (guys don’t talk about their issues nearly as much), they eat healthier, they live longer. We could go on for weeks finding things women do better than men.

But we’ll always be better at throwing a ball.
and for these sports- at least with soccer- they're amazing at it.. .truly. and if anything, the reduced speed and strength allows the game to be played at a "purer" level in terms of skills and tactics more than speed and strength (although those clearly are advantages in the women's game as well).

and for these sports- at least with soccer- they're amazing at it.. .truly. and if anything, the reduced speed and strength allows the game to be played at a "purer" level in terms of skills and tactics more than speed and strength (although those clearly are advantages in the women's game as well).
I’ve been watching a little Urban Soccer at Sara Roosevelt (in Floplandia) this summer to show support for a friend, and last night I saw a really interesting Co-Ed matchup. Granted 6 on 6 with smaller fields bears only the slightest resemblance to full field 11 v 11, but in this instance the two best players - by far - on each team was their respective strikers, and the woman was exceptional. She was South American and almost surely had been playing a long time. Saw her win a ton of 50/50 balls against men, extraordinary jaw-dropping footwork. Saw my first ever bicycle kick in rec league (hit the post but no matter, was a thing of beauty.) And with mere seconds left she put in a header for the equalizer off a perfect corner kick.

It’s the first time I’ve watched a mixed gender game & thought the best player on the field was a girl. The other striker (opposite team) was a tall, lanky European who could sprint well and had a powerful left foot, netted two of his teams three.  But I felt like he wasn’t nearly as versatile and didn’t have the same kind of magic in his feet as his female counterpart.

I’ve been watching a little Urban Soccer at Sara Roosevelt (in Floplandia) this summer to show support for a friend, and last night I saw a really interesting Co-Ed matchup. Granted 6 on 6 with smaller fields bears only the slightest resemblance to full field 11 v 11, but in this instance the two best players - by far - on each team was their respective strikers, and the woman was exceptional. She was South American and almost surely had been playing a long time. Saw her win a ton of 50/50 balls against men, extraordinary jaw-dropping footwork. Saw my first ever bicycle kick in rec league (hit the post but no matter, was a thing of beauty.) And with mere seconds left she put in a header for the equalizer off a perfect corner kick.

It’s the first time I’ve watched a mixed gender game & thought the best player on the field was a girl. The other striker (opposite team) was a tall, lanky European who could sprint well and had a powerful left foot, netted two of his teams three.  But I felt like he wasn’t nearly as versatile and didn’t have the same kind of magic in his feet as his female counterpart.
nice.

and yeah- at rec league level like urban league coed, a kickass woman is sure to be an alpha on the food chain.

nice.

and yeah- at rec league level like urban league coed, a kickass woman is sure to be an alpha on the food chain.
She was a total badass, getting on her teammates if they made a dumb play or didn’t hustle back. But in a girly, encouraging kind of way. No way of knowing what level she got to but was probably a D-1 player when she was younger. 

She was a total badass, getting on her teammates if they made a dumb play or didn’t hustle back. But in a girly, encouraging kind of way. No way of knowing what level she got to but was probably a D-1 player when she was younger. 
and as you said- 6v6 on small field removes speed and power, puts the emphasis on skills. good women will do well in that- especially against the chucklehead "I played a couple years of HS soccer" dudes that league tends to attract.

I used to do a weekly pickup game in the east river park- wide range of players from D1 college to mostly immigrants "I play 1st division in my country" to random not very good guys. very rare to see women even try with that. and it was an unspoken rule with the ones who did- no matter how good they were- to back off them and let them play. 

my first travel team was when I was 11. the best player far and away was a girl (ended up d1). she lasted another year before playing only with girls. 

It’s such a silly argument.
I don't think there is any argument going on.  The only reason I mention it is that, as with the last WWC, when the topic comes up over the next month, there will invariably be a co-worker or neighbor or whatever who will make the off-handed comment that the women are better than the men, or will ask rhetorically who would win if they played each other.  This will likely come up multiple times, and in each case you have the choice of either biting your tongue, or pointing out the reality.  If you make the comment that the local high school boys team would likely win the game by double-digits if they played hard, you're seen as the ###hole.  In reality, I think its the other way around.  The people speculating about women v men are the ones doing the women a disservice.  If you respect what they do, as most of us do, there's no reason to make such comparisons.

I don't think you're in the minority at all for most US non-soccer specific fans.

We like winners- and the women are most definitely winners relative to the rest of the world for soccer.

this is being touted as the most level field yet... there are some teams like thailand that will be getting blown out, but a lot more teams fighting for the top spot than ever.

US with Title 9 grew the sport way beyond the rest of the world- but a lot of the rest of the world has been catching up, adding  pro women's teams onto their already existing men's & youth academy teams. areas with the money and infrastructure in place- europe in particular, but south america too, have really improved.

eta ... fwiw- I've been hearing a bit of chatter about the aussies.
Aussies and England are probably the ascendant teams. France really, really has to win something. 

I think Brazil STILL has Marta and Formiga. It would be like if the Italian men were trotting out Del Piero. 

I guess I should have worded it another way.  I was wrong again.

Ok, this was hastily done but I think I have everything to throw it out there.

2019 World Cup Drinking Guide

Some disclaimers/comments:

1. Please drink responsibly kids

2. If you find any problems or issues with the way the dashboard works shoot me a PM and I'll try to fix it

3. If you see missing data - read: no drink recommendations for a country then that's because I've either not been given recommendations or my googling didn't turn up anything worth posting.  Note - since I just finished this years there may be some data I have that I'll make sure is in there by tonight

4. If you don't like the selections for a country I'm happy to update - just PM your recommendations - Gator is our final arbiter

5. This is just for fun - I'm not endorsing any of these companies, FBG's does not endorse any of these companies

6. Instructions are pretty simple and I kind of outline it on the page.  Just select a group to see the games for that group, then select a match-up.  The Home and Away team data should populate with drink recommendations for those countries.  I've included links where possible and directions for mixed drinks where I've been able to find one

@El Floppo - feel free to link this up in the OP if you want

@Bluto Blutarsky - :banned:

I don't follow the womens game closely enough to understand the magnitude but you guys who are following might want to check out the Ada Hegerberg story.

It seems like she is considered the best female player on the planet but is sitting out the WC in protest.

I don't follow the womens game closely enough to understand the magnitude but you guys who are following might want to check out the Ada Hegerberg story.

It seems like she is considered the best female player on the planet but is sitting out the WC in protest.
I read about that yesterday.   I think her protest is centered around the failures of her country's preparation for WC play but there's been some confusion too as to why she's not playing.  Very odd. 

I read about that yesterday.   I think her protest is centered around the failures of her country's preparation for WC play but there's been some confusion too as to why she's not playing.  Very odd. 
from what I understand she has not played for a couple of years now for Norway in the ongoing protest. 

The protest seems to be based on how poor the development facilities are for girls in Norway.

I think she was also asked some stupid/sexist/horn dog questions when she won the Ballon D’Or. 

Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
I think she was also asked some stupid/sexist/horn dog questions when she won the Ballon D’Or. 
oh!  was she the one the moronic host asked if she could twerk?

Should still be 0-0. The Chinese defender was in great position but then for some reason jumped right over that shot.  :wall:

:sehorn:

The soccer threads can be difficult to follow for us plebes. I might post 3 more times, if that, but will be following. Thanks for indulging us that aren't hardcore

ETA always love the drinking guides but I may have a problem so...

This last Spain goal was great. Just dribbled around the goalie to walk it into the net.

Users who are viewing this thread