What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official US Women's soccer thread: Gold Cup Final- US 1 - Brazil 0! (1 Viewer)

Friday 10 p.m. P.D.T.
Switzerland
Spain

Saturday 7 p.m. P.D.T.
Netherlands
South Africa

Saturday 1 a.m. P.D.T.
Japan
Norway

Sunday 2 a.m. P.D.T.
Sweden
United States

Monday 3:30 a.m. P.D.T.
Australia
Denmark

Tuesday 4 a.m. P.D.T.
France
Morocco

Monday 12:30 a.m. P.D.T.
England
Nigeria

Tuesday 1 a.m. P.D.T.
Colombia
Jamaica

This is just insult to injury since winning the Group would've meant another prime time game rather than middle of the night.

The possible change in the offside rule can't get here fast enough for me. VAR continues to take goal away in a sport that is already low scoring enough.
This has always been my biggest complaint about VAR not using "clear and obvious" and drawing lines to find a toe or a knee "offside" negating goals. Rule change looks to go back to the even is on mantra, which the human eye can distinguish.
I agree but I would not doubt VAR is still going to be used a lot on the very close cases. For example the picture I posted above would very likely go to VAR if a goal was scored even with the new rule.
I don't mind the use of VAR to make sure. I hate that it isn't held to the same "clear and obvious mistake" standard that other reviews are held too.
Like you said, a game looking to increase scoring shouldn't be doing all it can to chalk off goals, like his knee or a piece of his hair was off.

The bracket is brutal for the US to have Sweden followed by the Japan - Norway winner. Three of the top teams left according to the 5 minute game highlight summaries I've been watching each evening. At least England is on the other side. If they get through to the final, its going to be well-earned.

Bracket
Not to mention a possible rematch with the Dutch or having to play Spain.

Spain and England have moved ahead of the US by oddsmakers.

The bracket is brutal for the US to have Sweden followed by the Japan - Norway winner. Three of the top teams left according to the 5 minute game highlight summaries I've been watching each evening. At least England is on the other side. If they get through to the final, its going to be well-earned.

Bracket
Yup. This is why we were concerned with coming in second in the group. A tournament favorite like the US made their life so much harder. Maybe this helps though as they have to get things fixed quickly but if they beat Sweden they are likely to get some confidence, something that has been lacking the last two games.

Bracket
Yup. This is why we were concerned with coming in second in the group. A tournament favorite like the US made their life so much harder. Maybe this helps though as they have to get things fixed quickly but if they beat Sweden they are likely to get some confidence, something that has been lacking the last two games.

Spain would've been on the docket either way. A round earlier, actually, if they'd won the group.

The big difference is Sweden in the first round rather than South Africa. Second round would be likely-Spain vs likely-Japan so kind of a wash. And then the brackets meet up after that so everything the same from that point on.

So to win it all they could end up having to beat Sweden, Japan, Spain, England all in a row. Which would be insane.

I'm sure in the (probably very likely, at this point) event that they lose one of these games (maybe even the first) we will be inundated with all kinds of piling on about heart or focusing on playing instead of politics or whatever. But the reality this team is merely pretty good, and not really a step above any of those teams. Our most skilled players are old and slow now. Our young athletic players lack the skill of the last generation and rely too much on natural ability, which the better teams have shown they can handle.

I haven't seen anything that concerned me with regards to "want" or "focus" like some analysts and much of the broader public are portraying. The reality is they're just not anywhere near a super team like they were in the past and at this point, given that and the road to get there, they're probably a longshot to win it. But I'm not worried about the other fluff I've seen around where they're being portrayed as Schrodinger's soccer team, simultaneously caring too little to play better and caring too much by celebrating too hard.

So to win it all they could end up having to beat Sweden, Japan, Spain, England all in a row. Which would be insane.

I'm sure in the (probably very likely, at this point) event that they lose one of these games (maybe even the first) we will be inundated with all kinds of piling on about heart or focusing on playing instead of politics or whatever. But the reality this team is merely pretty good, and not really a step above any of those teams. Our most skilled players are old and slow now. Our young athletic players lack the skill of the last generation and rely too much on natural ability, which the better teams have shown they can handle.

I haven't seen anything that concerned me with regards to "want" or "focus" like some analysts and much of the broader public are portraying. The reality is they're just not anywhere near a super team like they were in the past and at this point, given that and the road to get there, they're probably a longshot to win it. But I'm not worried about the other fluff I've seen around where they're being portrayed as Schrodinger's soccer team, simultaneously caring too little to play better and caring too much by celebrating too hard.
There is also a chance that they are every bit as good as past teams but that many other countries are catching up. The US (and Sweden) had massive head starts in women's soccer as we know.

This is also not just a one time thing. The most recent Summer Olympics was not great for the US. They only got 4 points in the group, including a 3-0 thumping from Sweden.

They did advanced from the quarter finals but on pk's and then lost to Canada in the semi finals.

US had to beat every best team in the WC in the knockouts last time around. Precedent is there. As is the talent. They just need to find their rhythm finally and start punching in the goals after all the opportunities they're creating.

US had to beat every best team in the WC in the knockouts last time around. Precedent is there. As is the talent. They just need to find their rhythm finally and start punching in the goals after all the opportunities they're creating.
You can practically say the same about any team right now. Look at the teams that qualified:
Nearly half the remaining field has barely managed a goal per game or less.
You do need to take into account they were in of course - the US was in a pretty strong group with three teams only allowing a single goal in three games.
From what I've seen the US has been very good in defense, and they've created a lot of decent goal scoring opportunities. Morgan has been very good (missed pk not withstanding), but the surrounding cast has been less than ideal.
Now you're in a knockout game without one of your best players and against a very strong looking Sweden side (I haven't watched one of their games so I'm not going to pretend to be familiar with them, but in looking at the stats they have trounced each of their opponents so their standing is no fluke). Less than ideal for the U.S.

There is some new ground that will need to be broken based on historical records. The US has never won either a World Cup or an Olympics gold when they have not also won the group stage of each tournament.

more popular sports/etc get more money. that's why NHL players don't get paid as much as NBA/MLB/etc.

I'm getting rather tired of hearing them always complain about it.

If this was a regular job, then hell yes equal pay must be a thing. sports are not that.

I got the sense people were whoa is me-ing the current diffdicult path the US has to take to win.

My point was..The US took a very similar path last time, beating the other best teams in the world along the way to lifting the trophy.

And the US has still looked like a quality talented team despite their results so far. If some of those goals go in, were having a different conversation now about how dominant they are.

I got the sense people were whoa is me-ing the current diffdicult path the US has to take to win.

My point was..The US took a very similar path last time, beating the other best teams in the world along the way to lifting the trophy.

And the US has still looked like a quality talented team despite their results so far. If some of those goals go in, were having a different conversation now about how dominant they are.
We will see. They are not confidence inspiring at the moment.

ESPN says kickoff is Sunday morning at 4:00 a.m. Lambeau Standard Time. Does anyone know - is this another one of the fake kickoff times and its really an hour later? I might try to watch this one live depending on how much fun I have Saturday night.

ESPN says kickoff is Sunday morning at 4:00 a.m. Lambeau Standard Time. Does anyone know - is this another one of the fake kickoff times and its really an hour later? I might try to watch this one live depending on how much fun I have Saturday night.
World Cup soccer games are a rarity as they actually start the exact time as advertised.

Yahoo has 5:00am eastern for the USA game. That has been what I have used to know the kickoff times since Fox always tacks on their pregame.

This Spain game is hoot.

-QG

Yahoo has 5:00am eastern for the USA game. That has been what I have used to know the kickoff times since Fox always tacks on their pregame.

This Spain game is hoot.

-QG
The other post cited ESPN as the score. For games they don't carry, they give the starting time down to the minute. For games they carry, the given start time is actually the beginning of the pregame show.

This Spain game is hoot.

-QG
The other post cited ESPN as the score. For games they don't carry, they give the starting time down to the minute. For games they carry, the given start time is actually the beginning of the pregame show.

yeah that's how my wife ended up getting up an hour early to watch Korea the other day lol

unpopular opinion - the Japanese road kits are awful

The scary thing about Spain is that the reigning back to back Ballon d'Or winner has had very little effect so far due to still recovering from her acl injury. It probably won't happen in time but if she ever can refind her top form in this tournament, Spain are going to get a massive boost

The scary thing about Spain is that the reigning back to back Ballon d'Or winner has had very little effect so far due to still recovering from her acl injury. It probably won't happen in time but if she ever can refind her top form in this tournament, Spain are going to get a massive boost
sam kerr for aussie too.

sam kerr for aussie too.

Ada Hegerberg was also a Balloon winner who wasn't healthy enough for Norway - missed two games in the group stages and only played 15 minutes in their group stage loss yesterday.

we're on a train at 9am... won't be able to record and watch. so it's either wake up and watch or....

is this getting replayed anywhere?

we're on a train at 9am... won't be able to record and watch. so it's either wake up and watch or....

FS1 has been replaying games.

Guessing these are EST:

10:30 am 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup - Sweden vs. United States Repeat FS1
01:30 pm 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup - Sweden vs. United States Repeat FS2

Last edited:

thanks- I'll be away from home for 2 weeks, and won't have FS1 where we're going.

any idea whether the fox sports app runs these? it must.
(eta- I don't think I have the fox sports app :lol: )
Added some times. Can you log into your provider remotely? Another great thing about YTTV, I can take it with me wherever I go. :thumbup:

Yeah I've been just recording and watching in the morning. But I miss watching live and getting insights from FBGs during the game.

Spain with the most ridiculous own goal I've seen in a long, long time. From midfield!

That said, earlier this week I went to sleep early and woke up for the 3am games, then slept a little and then watched the 5am games (east coast).

thanks- I'll be away from home for 2 weeks, and won't have FS1 where we're going.

any idea whether the fox sports app runs these? it must.
(eta- I don't think I have the fox sports app :lol: )
As long as you have Fox at home, just go to this site:

When you click on a game it will ask you to log into whatever account that gets you Fox sports stations at home. Once you log in a prove that you get the Fox station from cable/satellite etc you can then watch right from the web site.

Users who are viewing this thread