What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official US Women's soccer thread: Gold Cup Final- US 1 - Brazil 0! (2 Viewers)

Article showing how screwed the USWNT is. Can completely see this, the development is more about getting girls to spend money to join travel clubs and travel rather than development.

Group H Scenarios
COL 6 points, +3, 4-1 | GER 3 points, +5, 7-2 | MAR 3 points, -5, 1-6 | KOR 0 points, -3, 0-3

Standings align the same way as the chaotic Group D, but the variety of scores makes things a lot more straightforward

Colombia advances with
a win OR tie
OR
a loss and a Germany loss/tie
OR
a loss by less than 4 goals

-----------

Germany advances with
a win
OR
a tie and a Morocco loss/tie
OR
a loss by less than 5 goals AND a Morocco loss

-----------

Morocco advances with
a win by 4 or more goals
OR
a win and a Germany loss/tie
OR
a tie and a Germany loss

-------------

South Korea advances with
a win by 5 or more goals and a Morocco loss

So there ya go :)

-QG

Group G: SWE 6 points, +6, 7-1 | ITA 3 points, -4, 1-5 | RSA 1 point, -1, 3-4 | ARG 1 point, -1, 2-3

Sweden has advanced

----

Italy advances with
a win
OR
a tie and an Argentina loss/tie

----

South Africa advances with
A win AND Argentina loss or tie
OR
a win and Argentina win and South Africa wins by a greater margin
OR
a win and Argentina win and both wins are by the same margin and South Africa scores as many or more goals than Argentina
OR
a win and Argentina wins by the same margin and Argentina outscores South Africa by exactly 1 and South Africa wins on fair play (RSA -4, ARG -5) else draw lots

----

Argentina advances with
A win AND an Italy tie
OR
a win and South Africa win and Argentina wins by a greater margin
OR
a win and South Africa win and Argentina wins by the same margin and Argentina outscores South Africa by 2 or more
OR
a win and South Africa win and Argentina wins by the same margin and Argentina outscores South Africa by exactly 1 and Argentina wins on fair play (RSA -4, ARG -5) else draw lots

so there ya go :)
-QG

Scenario bump one
-QG

We'll skip Group B for time being. Here's Group F
Group F: FRA 4 points, +1, 2-1 | JAM 4 points, +1, 1-0 | BRA 3 points, +3, 5-2 | PAN 0 points, -5, 0-5

France advances with
a win or tie
OR
a loss and a Brazil loss
OR
a loss and a Jamaica loss and the Jamaica loss is by a bigger margin
OR
a loss and a Jamaica loss and both margins are the same and Jamaica doesn't outscore France
OR
a loss and a Jamaica loss and both margins are the same and Jamaica outscores France by exactly 1 and France wins on fair play (FRA -4, JAM -5) else draw lots

----

Jamaica advances with
a win or tie
OR
a loss and a France loss and the France loss is by a bigger margin
OR
a loss and a France loss and both margins are the same and Jamaica outscores France by 2 or more
OR
a loss and a France loss and both margins are the same and Jamaica outscores France by exactly 1 and Jamaica wins on fair play (FRA -4, JAM -5) else draw lots

-----

Brazil advances with
a win
OR
a tie and a France loss

----

Panama has been eliminated.

So there ya go :)

-QG

Scenario bump two - GO JAMAICA!
-QG

They are also super young for the most part, so I don't want to trash them. But the game just felt lifeless. Could be the crew calling the game. It felt like [insert any Minnesota] team playing.

Two really interesting results today.

South Africa score in injury time to beat and leap frog Italy to advance and knock Italy out.
Jamaica hangs on for dear life against a Brazilian onslaught to get the draw they needed and knock Brazil out.

Sweden won 2-0 to assure they will play against the US. I noticed that Sweden had a large 21 fouls in the game today so they may look to muck it up against the US.

Last edited:
Japan finishes the group stage as the only perfect team.

3-0-0, no goals against. (England and Sweden also finished with 9 points and Colombia may as well but all have been scored on)

With two games left to play, Japan has scored the most goals so far, and given up the least goals.

Last edited:
More tidbits

====================
Paul Carr
https://twitter.com/PaulCarr
@PaulCarr

Jamaica is the 1st CONCACAF team other than U.S. & Canada to reach the WWC knockout stage.
South Africa reaches its first WWC KO stage.
Two African teams are in the KO stage for the 2nd straight WWC. Before 2019, a total of two African teams had made the WWC KO stage

Good for JAM and South Africa. Happy for them. Never sad to see Brazil get knocked out.

Gotta think 3 of 4 semi final teams will be: ENG, JPN, SWE. They look top class to me. FRA have the talent to win but can lose to any mid level or better team.

With Brazil out this ends the run of the Woman's GOAT - Marta

6 World Cups, scoring in 5 of them, 23 caps, youngest to score in her first two WC appearances
All time leading scorer in the WC (Men's and Women's) with 17
Most goals for Brazil's National Team

LEGEND

6 World Cups, scoring in 5 of them, 23 caps, youngest to score in her first two WC appearances

LEGEND
Hard to believe she never won one. Did Brazil not have solid teams for most of her time?

LEGEND
Hard to believe she never won one. Did Brazil not have solid teams for most of her time?
They have always been just outside the top tier of teams except for 2007. That team was great.

They went 3-0-0 in the group stage, no goals against.

Beat Aussi in the quarters, smoked the US 4-0 in the semis and lost to Germany in the finals.

That was their only time in the finals. They made the semi's one other time.

They won the silver in the Olympics twice.

first time Korea has ever scored first in a WWC match is a pretty bonkers factoid
This does not sound right. Is there more to the stat?

They scored their first WC goal back in 2003 during their first time qualifying.

pikachuface

my source was the r/soccer game thread

:lol:

ETA: think the announcers also made note of it (allegedly, per same game thread lol)
No this was my bad entirely. I read the stat wrong. I mistakenly thought that they said this was SK first WC goal ever, not that this was the first time they scored first in a game.

The stat is correct as you originally wrote it.

this is like watching the break get caught & swallowed up by the peloton in the final kilometer

the inevitability is devastating

The possible change in the offside rule can't get here fast enough for me. VAR continues to take goals away in a sport that is already low scoring enough.

Last edited:
wow!

no brazil, no germany.

that's basically as big as it would be in the mens' WC. 2 consistent and long time world powers getting bounced out of the group stage is massive!

and for all the moaning about the US (lack of scoring really the issue more than not looking the part... imho)... they're into the knockouts with a punchers chance.

until they play england.

wow!

no brazil, no germany.

that's basically as big as it would be in the mens' WC. 2 consistent and long time world powers getting bounced out of the group stage is massive!

and for all the moaning about the US (lack of scoring really the issue more than not looking the part... imho)... they're into the knockouts with a punchers chance.

until they play england.
Sweden got 9 points in the group stage but they had to grind out a couple of wins. I think the US can give them a great game.

Hopefully the US is ignoring the Lloyd off field drama or at least using it as fuel.

The possible change in the offside rule can't get here fast enough for me. VAR continues to take goal away in a sport that is already low scoring enough.
I guess I'm uneducated on this. What's the change they are doing, and when does it happen?
It has not been voted in yet. They are about to start testing it in some leagues this fall.

Today, if any portion of your body that can score a goal is ahead of the defender, you are offside.

The rule change will now be as long as any part of your body that can score a goal overlaps with the defender (ie there is no viable space between attacker and defender) you are onside.

This will allow attackers to have any where from half a stride to almost a full stride in front of defender at time of pass and still be onside.

Here is a good picture. Today this is way offside. In the new rule, the attacker at the bottom of the screen would be onside

The possible change in the offside rule can't get here fast enough for me. VAR continues to take goal away in a sport that is already low scoring enough.
I guess I'm uneducated on this. What's the change they are doing, and when does it happen?
It has not been voted in yet. They are about to start testing it in some leagues this fall.

Today, if any portion of your body that can score a goal is ahead of the defender, you are offside.

The rule change will now be as long as any part of your body that can score a goal overlaps with the defender (ie there is no viable space between attacker and defender) you are onside.

This will allow attackers to have any where from half a stride to almost a full stride in front of defender at time of pass and still be onside.

Here is a good picture. Today this is way offside. In the new rule, the attacker at the bottom of the screen would be onside

Gotcha, so making it more like it is for hockey. I'm all in favor.

Gotcha, so making it more like it is for hockey. I'm all in favor.

Yes, good analogy. It is a moving blue line since the defender can move but the theory is identical.

I am highly in favor as well. I hope the testing goes well.

This has always been my biggest complaint about VAR not using "clear and obvious" and drawing lines to find a toe or a knee "offside" negating goals. Rule change looks to go back to the even is on mantra, which the human eye can distinguish.

This has always been my biggest complaint about VAR not using "clear and obvious" and drawing lines to find a toe or a knee "offside" negating goals. Rule change looks to go back to the even is on mantra, which the human eye can distinguish.
I agree but I would not doubt VAR is still going to be used a lot on the very close cases. For example the picture I posted above would very likely go to VAR if a goal was scored even with the new rule.

Friday 10 p.m. P.D.T.
Switzerland
Spain

Saturday 7 p.m. P.D.T.
Netherlands
South Africa

Saturday 1 a.m. P.D.T.
Japan
Norway

Sunday 2 a.m. P.D.T.
Sweden
United States