What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (4 Viewers)

Under the interim coach, Weah has started twice and Swag hasnt gotten off the bench. Not sure what that's about...
I noticed this as well.

But it is hard to read into since Juve's spot in the table was locked. It may relate to things more off the field as on.

For Weah, it may have been a chance to get some more minutes on film in case they want to move him.

For Weston, it was perhaps a quiet message about getting him to settle for the low ball contract offer they gave,

Leeds lost the promotion final and will stay in the Championship. I don't know what this will mean for Aaronson who returns to Leeds this summer.

I feel he may be one of the most underappreciated players in US history. Look at these stats in arguably the best league in the world.

=========================
@htomufc

Antonee Robinson vs all other LBs in the Premier League this season;

—Chances created from open play (1st)
—Successful crosses (1st)
—Successful crossing % (1st)
—Possession won (1st)
—Duels won (1st)
—Progressive carries (1st)
—Passes into the final third (1st)
—Progressive passes (2nd)
But his touch sucks, so he's obviously garbage.

Copa America will introduce a new pink card.

Each team can use a pink card once a game if they suspect a player has a concussion. The sub will not count against the normal 5 subs nor will it count as one of the three times you are allowed to sub in a game.

If a team uses the card, the opposing team also gets a chance to use a 6th sub if they want and an extra sub window.
Best thing about this is it will never get abused by CONCACAF teams.

I feel he may be one of the most underappreciated players in US history. Look at these stats in arguably the best league in the world.

@htomufc

—Possession won (1st)
—Duels won (1st)
What’s amazing about that is every USMNT fan will tell you that Jedi’s crossing was the most frustrating deficiency in his game. Those crossing stats are an eye-opener. Either he’s just way better or Fulham or possibly that the days of pinpoint crossing fullbacks are just over.

The other stuff doesn’t surprise me at all. He’s always had an amazing motor. He’s never given the ball up all that cheaply (other than with hopeful crosses into the box). He’s always been a good defender (with that game against the Netherlands a sad exception, but I think he was just exhausted for that game).

@htomufc

—Possession won (1st)
—Duels won (1st)
What’s amazing about that is every USMNT fan will tell you that Jedi’s crossing was the most frustrating deficiency in his game. Those crossing stats are an eye-opener. Either he’s just way better or Fulham or possibly that the days of pinpoint crossing fullbacks are just over.

The other stuff doesn’t surprise me at all. He’s always had an amazing motor. He’s never given the ball up all that cheaply (other than with hopeful crosses into the box). He’s always been a good defender (with that game against the Netherlands a sad exception, but I think he was just exhausted for that game).
His crossing has gotten better every year that I've watched him, but I think it's something that isn't important in the EPL anymore.

Look at the difference in games between Dest and Jedi. Dest is much better at passing/crossing/dribbling than Jedi. Most USMNT fans would call Dest a more important player for the US. However, I think Dest would get demolished defensively in the EPL. I think being defensively sound is so important in England these days and that the incredible winger/attacker play means crosses are more of an afterthought as an attacking option than they used to be.

@htomufc

—Possession won (1st)
—Duels won (1st)

His crossing has gotten better every year that I've watched him, but I think it's something that isn't important in the EPL anymore.

Look at the difference in games between Dest and Jedi. Dest is much better at passing/crossing/dribbling than Jedi. Most USMNT fans would call Dest a more important player for the US. However, I think Dest would get demolished defensively in the EPL. I think being defensively sound is so important in England these days and that the incredible winger/attacker play means crosses are more of an afterthought as an attacking option than they used to be.
I bust on Jedi when I watch him zardoz it. Frustrating to watch.

And he's had those games this year... But not many, and waaaay more games where there's only the occasional flub the way any elite player would make. He's been outstanding.

And Dest gets beat defensively in the Erie divisie- he wouldn't last a second in England, even in the championship. I'm sure it's why Milan was such a a washout last year. But hell yeah to his ability in the ball.. gimme that even if the defense is less than... Good.

Weah has been making the rounds in NY today. He said that he has joined the ownership group of Brooklyn FC (men's team in USL Championship in 2025 and women's team in USL Super League this year).

And he was at Mets game today trading shirts

ESPN article outlining their top 15 at each position. Interesting to see that many names.

Craziest part of that list....

Zack Steffen at #9 GK. Two years ago I think most of us would've expected him to be GK1 for the next 10 years.

I've always wondered why the USSF didn't certify (or whatever) a field in Alaska for CONCACAF play. It's like the worst of Columbus or Minneapolis all the time and is 2x as far for the away team.

ESPN article outlining their top 15 at each position. Interesting to see that many names.

Can you post the list...I don't want to spend $10.99 to read the article.

Goalkeeper

1. Matt Turner, Nottingham Forest
2. Ethan Horvath, Cardiff City
3. Sean Johnson, Toronto FC
4. Drake Callender, Inter Miami
5. Patrick Schulte, Columbus Crew
6. Gaga Slonina, Chelsea
7. Chris Brady, Chicago Fire
8. Roman Celentano, FC Cincinnati
9. Zack Steffen, Colorado Rapids
10. Alex Bono, DC United
11. Brad Stuver, Austin FC
12. Matt Freese, NYCFC
13. John McCarthy, Los Angeles Galaxy
14. Steve Clark, Houston Dynamo
15. Tim Melia, Sporting KC

Right-back

1. Sergiño Dest, FC Barcelona
2. Joe Scally, Borussia Monchengladbach
3. Bryan Reynolds, KVC Westerlo
4. Shaq Moore, Nashville FC
5. DeAndre Yedlin, FC Cincinnati
6. Nathan Harriel, Philadelphia Union
7. Reggie Cannon, Queens Park Rangers
8. Marlon Fossey, Standard Liege
9. Brooks Lennon, Atlanta United
10. Nick Lima, New England Revolution
11. Kyle Duncan, New York Red Bulls
12. Henry Wingo, Ferencvaros
13. Dylan Nealis, New York Red Bulls
14. Keegan Rosenberry, Colorado Rapids
15. Justin Che, ADO Den Haag

Center-back

1. Chris Richards, Crystal Palace
2. Tim Ream, Fulham
3. Miles Robinson, FC Cincinnati
4. Cameron Carter-Vickers, Celtic
5. Mark McKenzie, Genk
6. Walker Zimmerman, Nashville FC
7. Auston Trusty, Sheffield United
8. Maximilian Dietz, Greuther Furth
9. Jackson Ragen, Seattle Sounders
10. James Sands, NYCFC
11. Aaron Long, Los Angeles FC
12. John Brooks, Hoffenheim
13. Jonathan Tomkinson, Bradford City
14. Justen Glad, Real Salt Lake
15. Sean Nealis, New York Red Bulls

Left-back

1. Antonee Robinson, Fulham
2. Kristoffer Lund, Palermo
3. John Tolkin, New York Red Bulls
4. Caleb Wiley, Atlanta United
5. George Bello, LASK
6. DeJuan Jones, New England Revolution
7. Jonathan Gomez, Real Sociedad
8. Marco Farfan, FC Dallas
9. Sam Vines, Colorado Rapids
10. Ryan Hollingshead, LAFC
11. Lynden Gooch, Stoke City
12. Andrew Brody, Real Salt Lake
13. Daniel Lovitz, Nashville FC
14. Kevin O'Toole, NYCFC
15. Andrew Gutman, Chicago Fire

Defensive midfield

1. Tyler Adams, Bournemouth
2. Johnny Cardoso, Real Betis
3. Lennard Maloney, Heidenheim
4. Aidan Morris, Columbus Crew
5. Tanner Tessmann, Venezia
6. Kellyn Acosta, Chicago Fire
7. Joshua Atencio, Seattle Sounders
8. Cole Bassett, Colorado Rapids
9. Jackson Yueill, San Jose Earthquakes
10. Keaton Parks, NYCFC
11. Frankie Amaya, New York Red Bulls
12. Obed Vargas, Seattle Sounders
13. Daniel Edelman, New York Red Bulls
14. Dante Polvara, Aberdeen
15. Wil Trapp, Minnesota United

Central midfield

1. Weston McKennie, Juventus
2. Giovanni Reyna, Borussia Dortmund
3. Yunus Musah, AC Milan
4. Malik Tillman, Bayern Munich
5. Luca de la Torre, Celta Vigo
6. Timmy Tillman, LAFC
7. Jack McGlynn, Philadelphia Union
8. Paxten Aaronson, Eintracht Frankfurt
9. Cristian Roldan, Seattle Sounders
10. Gianluca Busio, Venezia
11. Diego Luna, Real Salt Lake
12. Benjamin Cremaschi, Inter Miami
13. Rokas Pukstas, Hajduk Split
14. Julian Green, Greuter Furth
15. Djordje Mihailovic, Colorado Rapids

Wingers

1. Christian Pulisic, AC Milan
2. Timothy Weah, Juventus
3. Haji Wright, Coventry City
4. Brenden Aaronson, Leeds United
5. Kevin Paredes, Wolfsburg
6. Alejandro Zendejas, Club America
7. Griffin Yow, Westerlo
8. Jordan Morris, Seattle Sounders
9. Paul Arriola, DC United
10. Taylor Booth, FC Utrecht
11. Cade Cowell, Chivas Guadalajara
12. Brian Gutierrez, Chicago Fire
13. Esmir Bajraktarevic, New England Revolution
14. Bernard Kamungo, FC Dallas
15. Emmanuel Sabbi, Le Havre

Center forward

1. Folarin Balogun, Monaco
2. Josh Sargent, Norwich City
3. Ricardo Pepi, PSV Eindhoven
4. Jesús Ferreira, FC Dallas
5. Jordan Pefok, Borussia Monchengladbach
6. Brandon Vázquez, Monterrey
7. Brian White, Montreal
8. Duncan McGuire, Orlando City
9. Johan Gomez, Eintracht Braunschweig
10. Corey Baird, FC Cincinnati
11. Nicholas Gioacchini, Como
12. Andrija Novakovich, Calcio Lecco
13. Kahveh Zahiroleslam, Sint Truiden
14. Jeremy Ebobisse, San Jose Earthquakes
15. Matthew Hoppe, Middlesbrough

Here is the Pre Olympic roster. Lots of interesting names

===============

The roster:

Goalkeepers: Patrick Schulte (Columbus), Gaga Slonina (Chelsea, England).

Defenders: Nathan Harriel (Philadelphia), Jalen Neal (LA Galaxy), Bryan Reynolds (Westerlo, Belgium), John Tolkin (New York Red Bulls), Jonathan Tomkinson (Norwich, England), Caleb Wiley (Atlanta), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville).

Midfielders: Cole Bassett (Colorado), Gianluca Busio (Venezia, Italy), Benjamin Cremaschi (Miami), Jack McGlynn (Philadelphia), Aidan Morris (Columbus), Rokas Pukstas (Hajduk Split, Croatia), Tanner Tessmann (Venezia, Italy).

Forwards: Paxten Aaronson (Eintracht Frankfurt, Germany), Esmir Bajraktarevic (New England), Taylor Booth (Utrecht, Netherlands), Cade Cowell (Guadalajara, Mexico), Damion Downs (Cologne, Germany), Johan Gomez (Eintracht Braunschweig, Germany), Duncan McGuire (Orlando), Kevin Paredes (Wolfsburg, Germany), Griffin Yow (Westerlo, Belgium).

===============

The roster:

Defenders: Nathan Harriel (Philadelphia), Jalen Neal (LA Galaxy), Bryan Reynolds (Westerlo, Belgium), John Tolkin (New York Red Bulls), Jonathan Tomkinson (Norwich, England), Caleb Wiley (Atlanta), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville).

Midfielders: Cole Bassett (Colorado), Gianluca Busio (Venezia, Italy), Benjamin Cremaschi (Miami), Jack McGlynn (Philadelphia), Aidan Morris (Columbus), Rokas Pukstas (Hajduk Split, Croatia), Tanner Tessmann (Venezia, Italy).

Forwards: Paxten Aaronson (Eintracht Frankfurt, Germany), Esmir Bajraktarevic (New England), Taylor Booth (Utrecht, Netherlands), Cade Cowell (Guadalajara, Mexico), Damion Downs (Cologne, Germany), Johan Gomez (Eintracht Braunschweig, Germany), Duncan McGuire (Orlando), Kevin Paredes (Wolfsburg, Germany), Griffin Yow (Westerlo, Belgium).

Who are the overage players here besides Zimm? I don't know the cut off date...

A whole bunch of dual nats on here....does the Olympics "youth cap tie" a player like the U20/Y17 World Cup do?

===============

The roster:

hmm, I just saw online that Diego Luna was not on this roster....I think that is a bit of a surprise.

He does not appear to be hurt from what I can tell. It may just be coaches decision.

Overall, I think they got a bit lazy below #6 or #7 at most position.

===============

The roster:

A whole bunch of dual nats on here....does the Olympics "youth cap tie" a player like the U20/Y17 World Cup do?
Pretty sure that there aren't any other overage players on this roster. I don't think that the actual olympic roster has to be drawn from this pool, although I expect that it mostly will. I saw speculation that Trusty and Vasquez were likely overage players, which seems reasonable.

===============

The roster:

hmm, I just saw online that Diego Luna was not on this roster....I think that is a bit of a surprise.

He does not appear to be hurt from what I can tell. It may just be coaches decision.
Yeah - he seems like the one surprise exclusion

===============

The roster:

Downs... tomkinson? Who else?

===============

The roster:

Downs is only 19, Tomkinson is 22.

I think @zoobird is correct in that only Zimm on this Pre roster is over age.

Or were you asking about Dual Nats?

===============

The roster:

Duals

He can be an absolute ding-dong, but are there really 15 center backs better than Miazga? Seems like he should make at least the lower half of that list, especially if Aaron Long is on it.

===============

The roster:

Duals
@prefontaine will be better at this than me but here is my best guess at who is not yet locked down:

Gaga, Cremaschi, Pukstas, Scrabble, Cowell, Downs, and Gomez

Tomkinson has an English father but I am unsure whether he is a dual nat or not (I don't understand even a small percentage of the rules to be honest). There are probably a handful of others that may be duals as well.

Last edited:
He can be an absolute ding-dong, but are there really 15 center backs better than Miazga? Seems like he should make at least the lower half of that list, especially if Aaron Long is on it.
I thought the top half of the lists were much stronger (in terms of correctness) in comparison to the bottom halves of each list. Some odd choices/positions in almost every list but then again I think the writers some times do this on purpose just to generate discussion, which is not a bad thing given there is no one correct answer I guess.

If he has any aspiration to make the 2026 team he very likely has to move this summer and be a hit fairly quickly

======================

USMNT Otaku
@USMNTOtaku

Premier League sides, Arsenal, Aston Villa and West Ham United, are keeping tabs on Rokas Pukstas. Hajduk Split are expecting offers this summer with Pukstas keen to take the next step up in his career.

Last edited:
:popcorn:

Per @TUTTOJUVE_COM, Aston Villa, Everton and Newcastle are carefully observing Weston McKennie.

The report adds that if a renewal of his contract is not struck, then Juve would listen to offers between €20m and €25m.

Has a field Yank ever made a best XI in a big four league before? Wouldn't be shocked if a GK pulled it off, but don't recall anyone doing it.

Has a field Yank ever made a best XI in a big four league before? Wouldn't be shocked if a GK pulled it off, but don't recall anyone doing it.
Howard made the PFA team of the season in his first year at Man United (2003/2004). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PFA_Team_of_the_Year_(2000s)

No one else comes to mind. Jedi might be close this season though, they have not yet voted.

Note that there can be a decent distance in some seasons between teams that are voted on via the press and teams that are selected based entirely on their game ratings (Opta/Fotmob etc). This team above was a ratings based version for Pulisic. No votes were cast.

Howard made the PFA team of the season in his first year at Man United (2003/2004). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PFA_Team_of_the_Year_(2000s)

No one else comes to mind. Jedi might be close this season though, they have not yet voted.

Note that there can be a decent distance in some seasons between teams that are voted on via the press and teams that are selected based entirely on their game ratings (Opta/Fotmob etc). This team above was a ratings based version for Pulisic. No votes were cast.
Deuce had that one great statistical year, just off the golden boot.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Dest is on a list for this year.

Deuce had that one great statistical year, just off the golden boot.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Dest is on a list for this year.
The best I could find for Dempsey was 2011/2012 when he finished tied for 4th in scoring with 17. RVP had 30 that year.

Dest and Tillman both had very very good years but I think Dinsy was speaking to the old fashioned top 4 leagues only.

===============

The roster:

Duals
@prefontaine will be better at this than me but here is my best guess at who is not yet locked down:

Tomkinson has an English father but I am unsure whether he is a dual nat or not (I don't understand even a small percentage of the rules to be honest). There are probably a handful of others that may be duals as well.
I think this is right other than I'm almost certain Cowell is cap-tied by playing in Gold Cup last year. Not sure on Tomkinson but even if he's a dual nat, it's in name only. There is zero chance he is ever called by England. He's actually fairly surprising on this roster and I think he's an extreme long-shot to go to the Olympics.

===============

The roster:

Duals

I think this is right other than I'm almost certain Cowell is cap-tied by playing in Gold Cup last year. Not sure on Tomkinson but even if he's a dual nat, it's in name only. There is zero chance he is ever called by England. He's actually fairly surprising on this roster and I think he's an extreme long-shot to go to the Olympics.
I forgot about the Gold Cup. If Cowell did play then he is cap tied for good now.

Here is what Metrovic (Olympic coach) said about Luna

====================

"Diego [Luna] is one of the players that we are considering. He was in consideration for November camp. Unfortunately, he was injured. March camp he was with us. Now there are some other guys there that we want to evaluate. And the doors are open for every player and for Diego not being in June camp, like for any other player that is not in June camp doesn't mean that, they are not going to be [in the pool] for the Olympic Games. It's still the doors are open for everyone."

If he has any aspiration to make the 2026 team he very likely has to move this summer and be a hit fairly quickly

======================

USMNT Otaku
@USMNTOtaku

Premier League sides, Arsenal, Aston Villa and West Ham United, are keeping tabs on Rokas Pukstas. Hajduk Split are expecting offers this summer with Pukstas keen to take the next step up in his career.
He's a top talent but I think we (and he) would be better off going mid-table Germany or Italy where I think he could immediately fight for playing time

===============

The roster:

Disappointed to not see Sullivan, Gutierrez, or Luna.

And I don't mind giving guys a chance. In fact I think it's great. But why do we continue to waste roster spots on Cowell? He scored 1 goal and had zero assists in his first half season in Liga MX. At some point he has to produce to get a call up.

Why Cowell over any of the three above?

Zimm and Miles should make for a strong veteran combo

=====

[Doug McIntyre] Miles Robinson has emerged as a leading candidate to join fellow USMNT central defender Walker Zimmerman on the U.S. Olympic team this summer, multiple sources tell ⁦FOX Soccer​

===============

The roster:

Disappointed to not see Sullivan, Gutierrez, or Luna.

And I don't mind giving guys a chance. In fact I think it's great. But why do we continue to waste roster spots on Cowell? He scored 1 goal and had zero assists in his first half season in Liga MX. At some point he has to produce to get a call up.

Why Cowell over any of the three above?

Chicago has a long history of not releasing their guys for tournaments, so that COULD be the issue with Gutierrez. COULD be a similar deal with Sullivan (Maybe Philly bargained to keep him while allowing McGlynn to go? Didn't want to lose 2 MF'ers). Luna....who the hell knows? His skillset is unique in the pool. He should be there.

And yeah....Cade continues to get chances because he was bigger and faster than everyone when they were 17. That's frustrating.

Other than McGuire, are any of those forwards capable of playing striker? If not, that would certainly support the idea of Vasquez being one of the overage players...or Pepi being cut from the Copa America roster and moved over to the Olympic team.

Other than McGuire, are any of those forwards capable of playing striker? If not, that would certainly support the idea of Vasquez being one of the overage players...or Pepi being cut from the Copa America roster and moved over to the Olympic team.
I think only Downs is a natural striker outside of Duncan.

Users who are viewing this thread