What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official US Women's soccer thread: Gold Cup Final- US 1 - Brazil 0! (3 Viewers)

So Spain going for the trilogy now.

They are the current U17 and U20 World Cup champs and just made it to the WWC finals today, beating Sweden 2-1.
I just finished the highlights. 0-0 until the 81st minute and then all three goals came, including the tying goal in the 88th and the winner in the 89th.

Have to think that in the Final, ENG will concede possession to Spain and look to tie them up in ENG's defensive end. Not a full on counter attacking style, but concede possession without allowing danger. Spain will need to be more lethal than they've shown to get the win here. I could see a 1-1 game through 120 mins going to penalties. I could also see ENG getting a goal early in the second half and then letting Spain get increasingly frustrated as they chase a goal for the remainder.

Current odds are perfectly even between ESP and ENG to win the tourney. Spain slightly favored to win in 90, but it's very marginal (+165 vs +180). Draw through 90 is +190.

It was a fun game. AUS played better than I thought and damn if Sam Kerr can't strike a ball as good as anyone. That defensive gaffe by the AUS center back to give up the 2nd goal was just terrible. I hope she never watches the replay as it will haunt her.
she had like three different chances to stab it away. Looks like she just lost all sense of balance and could not do a simple poke

I truly do enjoy women’s soccer and the WWC is great but my god there’s been some horrible goals given up, even during the knockout rounds.
this is a surprise, given the increased level of play... but yeah, agreed. some amateurish mistakes deep into the tourney. even the 1 goal the US gave up was the GK with pretty poor positioning.

It was a fun game. AUS played better than I thought and damn if Sam Kerr can't strike a ball as good as anyone. That defensive gaffe by the AUS center back to give up the 2nd goal was just terrible. I hope she never watches the replay as it will haunt her.

Kerr's goal was a thing of beauty and probably the shot of the tournament (although prior to it going in I was yelling WTF)...really felt for AUS's keeper throughout the match. Their backline fell apart late and was complete rubbish. Hard to believe they didn't have better options to sub on. Should be an entertaining Final.

she had like three different chances to stab it away. Looks like she just lost all sense of balance and could not do a simple poke

my reaction

I thought ENG looked dangerous to start the game with ESP discombobulated and out of their possession. Whether it was nerves or tactics, ESP took more and more control as the half went on. I really like #2 for ESP. Tenacious.

This Spanish team played the exact opposite of the USA. Controlled the ball and the tempo, played tenacious defense. Their fullback were dangerous, they stretched opposing defenses with speed. Goalie played awesome with the ball at her feet. Need to take some lessons here, ladies

This Spanish team played the exact opposite of the USA. Controlled the ball and the tempo, played tenacious defense. Their fullback were dangerous, they stretched opposing defenses with speed. Goalie played awesome with the ball at her feet. Need to take some lessons here, ladies
I was impressed with Spain. I had read about the mutiny against the coach last year and didn’t know what to expect but I thought they were clearly the better team against a good, well coached England.

So 15 Spanish veteran players protest and get axed/quit from the team. Coach brings in entirely new younger players and they win the world cup with beautiful play.

And USA capitulates to its aged protesting vets and gets ousted in round of 16, barely making that round, and scoring few goals than ever. See how it's done here folks. Bad attitudes on a team are a guarantee for losing.

No one watching?
Wasn't getting up at 3 for this. Recorded it and avoided the internet before I watched it this morning. Fun match. Spain were deserving winners. Such a nice style of play - their best players seem to be young or just in their prime too.
Agreed. Spain will be a force for a while. I think we'll see more of these ESP-ENG matches in late knockouts soon enough. Jenny Hermoso is the obvious one that won't last another cycle. For all her close ball skills, she showed some real lack of speed as the tournament went on. Putellas is a few years younger and can play that facilitator role too though as she gets older and slows down.

Bald guy for Spain on the podium was really getting his money’s worth on the hugs and kisses there
I noticed that, too :lol:
Oooof
Continuing to snowball for this guy

=======

The Athletic | Football

@TheAthleticFC

FIFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against Spanish football association (RFEF) president Luis Rubiales, who has drawn widespread criticism for his actions after the Women's World Cup final

Bald guy for Spain on the podium was really getting his money’s worth on the hugs and kisses there
Oooof

=======

The Athletic | Football
@TheAthleticFC

FIFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against Spanish football association (RFEF) president Luis Rubiales, who has drawn widespread criticism for his actions after the Women's World Cup final
RFEF are a bunch of jackholes.

Oooof

=======

The Athletic | Football
@TheAthleticFC

Spanish football federation (RFEF) president Luis Rubiales plans to resign Friday after FIFA opened disciplinary proceedings against him over his unsolicited kiss of player Jenni Hermoso, sources have confirmed to ESPN's Rodrigo Faez.

Rubiales' position had grown increasingly untenable since his behaviour after Spain won the World Cup by beating England in the final in Sydney this past Sunday.

The kiss forced on the lips of Hermoso has garnered most of the headlines, but he was also seen effusively hugging other Spain players and kissing them on the cheek.

Before that, immediately after Spain's victory, he had also grabbed his crotch in a victory gesture with 16-year-old Princess Infanta Sofía and Queen Letizia of Spain standing nearby.

Rubiales' immediate response was to label those criticising his behaviour as "idiots," although as the backlash grew, he later published an apology.

Oooof

=======

The Athletic | Football
@TheAthleticFC

Spanish football federation (RFEF) president Luis Rubiales plans to resign Friday after FIFA opened disciplinary proceedings against him over his unsolicited kiss of player Jenni Hermoso, sources have confirmed to ESPN's Rodrigo Faez.

Rubiales' position had grown increasingly untenable since his behaviour after Spain won the World Cup by beating England in the final in Sydney this past Sunday.

The kiss forced on the lips of Hermoso has garnered most of the headlines, but he was also seen effusively hugging other Spain players and kissing them on the cheek.

Before that, immediately after Spain's victory, he had also grabbed his crotch in a victory gesture with 16-year-old Princess Infanta Sofía and Queen Letizia of Spain standing nearby.

Rubiales' immediate response was to label those criticising his behaviour as "idiots," although as the backlash grew, he later published an apology.
lol... this sounds right. it's not him, it's everybody else.

CNN —
Spanish soccer chief Luis Rubiales has refused to resign from his position as Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) president following a week of fierce criticism after video showed him placing an unwanted kiss on a star player of Spain’s winning Women’s World Cup team.

Rubiales was speaking at the federation’s Extraordinary General Assembly on Friday and said he will “fight to the end.”

In a defiant speech, he described the kiss as “mutual” and spoke of “unjust” campaigns and “fake feminism” and emphatically said several times during the almost 30-minute address that he would not resign.

Rubiales was filmed forcibly kissing Spain star Jennifer Hermoso – who helped La Roja win its first Women’s World Cup title on Sunday in Sydney – on the lips after she collected her winners’ medal, an act which the 33-year-old World Cup winner later said she “didn’t like” and “didn’t expect.”

On Monday, Rubiales admitted he had “made a mistake,” but criticism continued to pour in throughout the week from the soccer world and Spanish politicians, including Spain’s Prime Minister, Pedro Sánchez, who said the apology for what he called an “unacceptable gesture” was “not enough.”

Luis Rubiales kisses Jennifer Hermoso during the medal ceremony following Spain's 1-0 win over England on Sunday.
Noe Llamas/Sports Press Photo/Reuters

On Friday the embattled president issued a staunch defense of his actions at the final, saying: “Everyone there – even some of them my family, my daughters – the desire that could have been there in that kiss is exactly the same that could have been as giving a kiss to one of my daughters. No more, no less.

“It was a spontaneous kiss … It was spontaneous, mutual, euphoric and with consent, which is the key. This is the key to all of the criticism, of all of the campaign which has been mounted in this country: that it was without consent. No. It was with consent.”

On Wednesday, following strong criticism of Rubiales’ kiss from journalists, politicians, and campaign groups, Hermoso said that Spain’s Association of Professional Soccer Players (FUTPRO) and her agency TMJ would be “defending my interests and acting as spokespersons on this matter.”

Then on Thursday, global governing body FIFA said that it had opened disciplinary proceedings against Rubiales as he may have violated the game’s “basic rules of decent conduct.”

Rubiales also said that he was in “no position of dominance” during the kiss and that he had wanted to console Hermoso, who had missed a penalty to put Spain 2-0 ahead during the final.

Rubiales: It was spontaneous, mutual, euphoric and with consent
Hermoso said she “didn’t like” and “didn’t expect” the kiss.
Rubiales: See? Mutual!

Only FIFA would be so bold to consider themselves above local government. If FIFA want control, then do something besides waiting on a suitcase full of cash for once.

An investigation like this should be very easy to complete for FIFA with their endless resources.

====================

Men in Blazers

@MenInBlazers

Victor Francos, head of Spain's state-run National Sports Council, has begun legal proceedings which would suspend Rubiales. However, such gov interference is against FIFA rules & risks sanction. Case likely headed to country's top sports court.

I can't speak to Spanish or Greeks but I have been around full blooded italians all my life. We always kiss hello and good bye but never I have seen it done on the lips, much less with a non family member.

Users who are viewing this thread