What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official US Women's soccer thread: Gold Cup Final- US 1 - Brazil 0! (4 Viewers)

from ESPN...

All 23 players of Spain's World Cup-winning squad have said they will not play for their country again as long as Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) president Luis Rubiales remains in charge.

Forward Jenni Hermoso released a joint statement via her union FUTPRO on Friday in which she denied Rubiales' claim that she consented to his kiss during Spain's World Cup final celebrations.

The statement, co-signed by Spain's entire World Cup squad and 58 former players, added that they would not return to play for the national team while Rubiales remains in his position.

It follows a week of controversy, criticism and widespread condemnation of Rubiales' behaviour after Spain's World Cup win in Sydney.

Earlier Friday, Rubiales said calls for him to step down were a campaign of "social assassination" by "false feminists" during a speech to the RFEF's general assembly in which he refused to resign.

"I want to clarify, as you can see in the images, that at no time did I consent to the kiss that he gave me," Hermoso said. "I won't tolerate that my word is called into question, and even less so that words are invented which I didn't say."

Hermoso and her teammates called for "real change to help the national team to keep growing, to be able to bring this great success to the generations to come" and said they would not play for Spain while "the current management" remains at the RFEF.

The president of Spain's Sports Council (CSD) and its secretary of state for sport, Victor Francos, has confirmed that the CSD is seeking to remove Rubiales by bringing a complaint to the country's Administrative Sports Court (TAD).

"This assembly, far from resolving the situation, increased the controversy," Francos said. "The explanations given [by Rubiales] aren't sufficient. The CSD today begins the procedure to suspend Luis Rubiales immediately from the RFEF presidency. ... As the person responsible for Spanish sport I have to apologise to the players. They didn't deserve this this week.

"Neither the CSD nor its president can remove [Rubiales]. I can't sack anybody. But we can take the case to TAD if we believe a serious offence has been committed, and TAD can approve it or not."

and the snow ball continues to roll down the hill

====================

Spain's entire coaching staff from their World Cup win, except for manager Jorge Vilda, have resigned over the Luis Rubiales row.

Assistant managers Montse Tome, Javier Lerga and Eugenio Gonzalo Martin, along with physio Blanca Romero Moraleda and goalkeeper coach Carlos Sanchez, have all quit.

Six others involved with the national side at various age levels have also resigned.

Spanish FA president Rubiales was suspended on Saturday by Fifa after kissing forward Jenni Hermoso on the lips following the Women's World Cup final victory over England in Sydney.

So 15 Spanish veteran players protest and get axed/quit from the team. Coach brings in entirely new younger players and they win the world cup with beautiful play.

And USA capitulates to its aged protesting vets and gets ousted in round of 16, barely making that round, and scoring few goals than ever. See how it's done here folks. Bad attitudes on a team are a guarantee for losing.

Well our younger players for the most part played poorly and were a big part of our problem, especially finishing in the final 3rd. Maybe Morgan could have been replaced in hindsight, and Rapinoe was obviously cooked (but she barely played). But it's not like swapping in more of our young athletes with less skill for Horan or LaVelle would like have done anything except make things worse. Horan was the only reason we even had a chance.

I must be out of the loop, aren't the Spanish, Italians, and Greeks notorious for kissing each other in greetings?

Is this just another social media induced grievance capitalism thing or did they really stop kissing each other and now it is considered sexual assault?

It would be good to know that before visitng.

Not forcibly on the lips, no.

Basically the entire team and coaching staff has either quit or said they will quit if the guy isn't removed. So pretty safe to say this isn't just some social media thing where none of them really care.

Were you planning on grabbing women by the face and laying a big smacker right on the lips when you visit?

I must be out of the loop, aren't the Spanish, Italians, and Greeks notorious for kissing each other in greetings?

Is this just another social media induced grievance capitalism thing or did they really stop kissing each other and now it is considered sexual assault?

Basically the entire team and coaching staff has either quit or said they will quit if the guy isn't removed. So pretty safe to say this isn't just some social media thing where none of them really care.

Were you planning on grabbing women by the face and laying a big smacker right on the lips when you visit?
Spanish soccer federation is giving a clinic on how NOT to handle a situation like this.

Spanish soccer federation is giving a clinic on how NOT to handle a situation like this.
They royally screwed this up.

oh dear

===================

Alex Ibaceta
@alexibaceta23

The RFEF has released a new statement in response to Jenni Hermoso’s statement “We have to state that Ms. Jennifer Hermoso lies in every statement she makes against the President.”
WTF? Is this normal for this level of soccer?
Do you follow the NCAA or boxing at all?

Take the worst of both worlds and the add a factor of ten and that is how bad things are all over soccer world wide.

oh dear

===================

Alex Ibaceta
@alexibaceta23

The RFEF has released a new statement in response to Jenni Hermoso’s statement “We have to state that Ms. Jennifer Hermoso lies in every statement she makes against the President.”
WTF? Is this normal for this level of soccer?
Do you follow the NCAA or boxing at all?

Take the worst of both worlds and the add a factor of ten and that is how bad things are all over soccer world wide.
Lordy

They royally screwed this up.
If he had not grabbed his crotch in front of the princess he had such an easy out that could have stopped this at the jump with a strong apology and willingness to go to sensitivity training.

:lmao:

=============

ESPN FC

@ESPNFC

The mother of Spanish football federation president Luis Rubiales has locked herself in a church and said she is on hunger strike in protest at her son's treatment, his cousin has confirmed.

and the snow ball continues to roll down the hill. This guys idea of digging in appears to be the worst idea ever

=========

Men in Blazers

@MenInBlazers

RUBIALES ACCUSED OF SEXUAL ASSAULT & COERCION BY STATE PROSECUTORS Suspended FA President has case presented against him by prosecutors 2 days after Hermoso's formal complaint. Rubiales could face fine or prison sentence of 1-4 years if found guilty of sexual assault

He finally resigned.

I haven't read any of the articles, but despite the resignation, it sounds like he's continued to doubling down on not doing anything wrong.

This continues to snow ball

=================

Men in Blazers

@MenInBlazers

SPANISH WOMEN’S PLAYERS announce they will not be returning to national team

39 players release statement saying more needs to be done, and they do not yet “feel safe.”

More structural change called for in wake of Luis Rubiales’ resignation.

I'm not sure how I didn't see this thread before.
Is there NWSL discussion in here or only national team talk?

Angel City FC's season ticket relocation event happen on Monday morning and I'm excited for the opportunity to upgrade.

I'm not sure how I didn't see this thread before.
Is there NWSL discussion in here or only national team talk?

Angel City FC's season ticket relocation event happen on Monday morning and I'm excited for the opportunity to upgrade.
This thread has mostly been about the national team but all is fair game, post what ever you like :) .

There are a few NWSL posts in the main soccer thread but they are a bit rare.

I saw it the other day and can't find it but US Soccer wanted to have a new HC in place by the end of the year.

Am I wrong to feel like US Soccer can not do anything in a timely manner?

With the WNT in search for a new coach, shouldn't the team focus on building toward the future and continuity - and not parading Rapinoe and Ertz for a victory lap in these upcoming friendlies? Assuming they will win, which is no guarantee.

With the WNT in search for a new coach, shouldn't the team focus on building toward the future and continuity - and not parading Rapinoe and Ertz for a victory lap in these upcoming friendlies? Assuming they will win, which is no guarantee.
Agreed. Although I could understand if they won it and deserved a victory tour. Plus Ertz, though, can still play. Rapinoe can not.

Regardless, they are taking time away from players fighting for future spots and they need to find a true replacement for Ertz since they struggled in that spot without her. Rapinoe just needs to fade into retirement.

Agreed. Although I could understand if they won it and deserved a victory tour. Plus Ertz, though, can still play. Rapinoe can not.

Regardless, they are taking time away from players fighting for future spots and they need to find a true replacement for Ertz since they struggled in that spot without her. Rapinoe just needs to fade into retirement.
disagree.

get these two legends their due and let them ride off into the sunset.

it's not like them playing for a bit or not will have any effect on finding a new coach.... or bringing in some new players.

disagree.

it's not like them playing for a bit or not will have any effect on finding a new coach.... or bringing in some new players.
I get your point and yes these are just friendlies but the team was so disjointed they need more time to play together and build toward the next tournament. They are being caught by other nations and the USWNT is still focusing on the older players and not working on finding the next generation.

Set up a testimonial match then and say goodbye to Rapinoe, Ertz, Morgan, etc....

disagree.

I get your point and yes these are just friendlies but the team was so disjointed they need more time to play together and build toward the next tournament. They are being caught by other nations and the USWNT is still focusing on the older players and not working on finding the next generation.

Set up a testimonial match then and say goodbye to Rapinoe, Ertz, Morgan, etc....
That's what I think also. Rapinoe is getting her farewell tour in the NWSL; every OL Reign game is drawing higher than normal attendance at home and away. Ertz chose to sit out the rest of Angel City's season and that's fine. But I think it's waste of a NT roster spot to keep both on when they should be building up either future stars and building chemistry with current players.

disagree.

That's what I think also. Rapinoe is getting her farewell tour in the NWSL; every OL Reign game is drawing higher than normal attendance at home and away. Ertz chose to sit out the rest of Angel City's season and that's fine. But I think it's waste of a NT roster spot to keep both on when they should be building up either future stars and building chemistry with current players.
I understand wanting the team to move forward with new players building towards cohesion.

but it's not either or, and it's important for US legends to get their proper send of with the US team- for them and the fans. there's never going to be a "good" time to do it- so pick the first games coming out of the WC and be done with it, clean break and all for the upcoming WCQ cycle.

eta: and we're talking about trotting them out for a run so they can get subbed out and get their deserved ovation. I'm not talking about having them play 180 minutes over 2 games. the US loses nothing by doing this, and has a couple legends in another camp for the new kids to learn from.

disagree.

I understand wanting the team to move forward with new players building towards cohesion.

but it's not either or, and it's important for US legends to get their proper send of with the US team- for them and the fans. there's never going to be a "good" time to do it- so pick the first games coming out of the WC and be done with it, clean break and all for the upcoming WCQ cycle.

eta: and we're talking about trotting them out for a run so they can get subbed out and get their deserved ovation. I'm not talking about having them play 180 minutes over 2 games. the US loses nothing by doing this, and has a couple legends in another camp for the new kids to learn from.
You aren't wrong, just after the display in the WC and Olympics, just looking for a clear break from the old to the new. No more Bradleys, Altidores and Brooks. Give me the next gen. But I get it, too bad Rapinoe's should have been after the previous world cup :scared: (they let her hang on well past her ability to contribute).

I like the new additions of Vignola, Shaw and Fishel to the NT. But I'm surprised Sarah Gorden didn't get the call. She'd been on lockdown mode all season and is ACFC's MVP.

I wonder what the end game is here? This has gone so much further than I expected

================

Men in Blazers
@MenInBlazers

RFEF GENERAL SECRETARY FIRED Andreu Camps, general secretary of the Spanish FA & a Luis Rubiales ally, was sacked Wednesday night. Departure among "profound changes" promised to women's footballers & Reuters reports another 5-8 senior RFEF officials will be asked to leave.

USWNT are playing in the Gold Cup, which also includes Conmebol teams.

For the 2nd time ever... They just lost to Mexico, 0-2.

Eta... This put the US finishing 2nd in the group behind Mexico, but advancing to the knockouts. Waiting to find out their opponent.

I didn’t watch the game. Based on a 5 minute highlight video and comments on twitter it seems Mexico were better and deserved the win. The first goal was a terrible blunder by Becky Sauerbrunn which the announcer deemed a “rookie mistake “ perhaps momentarily forgetting that Sauerbrunn is 38 years old. But it was a nice chip finish and the second goal was a fantastic strike. Emma has her work cut out for her but we all believe that she is up to the task.

The US just looked old and slow out there - reminds me of the USMNT a few years back. Every 1v1 chase to a loose ball or pass was won by the faster, more fit Mexico. I’m too lazy to look, but I imagine the average age of MEX is 22, and the US 28 or so. And it shows.

Users who are viewing this thread