What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL: Vikings-Saints Playoff Thread*** (1 Viewer)

>>Rushing attack

Mark Ingram and Alvin Kamara combined for the most scrimmage yards (3,094) and scrimmage touchdowns (25) of any teammate running back duo in the NFL this season. No team allowed fewer scrimmage yards (1,584) or scrimmage touchdowns (8, tied) to running backs this season than the Minnesota Vikings.<<

>>Associated Press 

The second coming?

Drew Brees has 12 career playoff starts, while Case Keenum has zero. The last quarterback without a playoff start to beat a quarterback with 10-or-more playoff starts in a playoff game? Tim Tebow over Ben Roethlisberger in the 2011 Wild Card Round.<<

If you think the Vikings were 13-3 because of their QB, keep on believing that.

>>Associated Press 

Something's gotta give

The NFL's #2 total offense (Saints) will meet the NFL's #1 total defense (Vikings) in this game. Since 1990, a top 2 total offense has faced a top 2 total defense in the playoffs seven times. Six of those seven matchups (including the last three) were won by the defense, with the only exception coming when the 49ers beat the Cowboys in the 1994 NFC Championship Game.<<

NFL.com.
Thanks for bringing this up. I didn't know that. It gives some credence to the phrase defense wins championships.

Regardless of what happens in the game Sunday I am very happy with how the Vikings are built right now. It has come full circle for me as a long time Vikings fan. When I first became interested in the team they had a great defense and just doing well enough on offense to be competitive.

That changed during the Denny Green era where the focus was more on the offensive side of the ball. I loved Moss and it got me to see the other side of things as a Vikings fan, but I still prefer the defensive approach and its great that they have gotten back to that and playing defense so well.

As good as the Vikings teams were under Green, they always seemed to be missing something in the postseason. While it is a team sport and a team needs to be good in all aspects of the game to be successful. I think having a good defense gives a team more of a chance to be successful based on how I have seen the Vikings evolve over the decades.

This information backs that up pretty well.

Hov34 said:
Then why do you keep bringing up QB as the end all be all of this game?
Keenum's play is the biggest worry going into this game.  If he turns the ball over and makes bad decisions the Vikings will be in trouble.  If he runs the offense and doesn't make bad decisions the Vikes should win.  He is the weak point (by weak I mean more unproven) going into this game.

Keenum's play is the biggest worry going into this game.  If he turns the ball over and makes bad decisions the Vikings will be in trouble.  If he runs the offense and doesn't make bad decisions the Vikes should win.  He is the weak point (by weak I mean more unproven) going into this game.
At what point is one proven? Is Kamara proven? Is Lattimore proven? How about Marcus Williams? 

IMO, Ginn is the man MN needs to stop. 

At what point is one proven? Is Kamara proven? Is Lattimore proven? How about Marcus Williams? 

IMO, Ginn is the man MN needs to stop. 
QB is a position that is more impactful regarding decisions with the ball.  Keenum played extremely well this year however there were games where he had some luck that his decisions didn't cost him.  He threw many balls up in desperation that could/should have been turnovers that worked out.  How much is luck, skill?  I have no idea.  But I do know that in the playoffs every possession is magnified and with an offense like the Saints if you put them in good position by turning the ball over it is the biggest thing that can affect the Vikes chances of winning. 

Keenum almost let the Redksins game get away with some poor decisions later in the game and that was in a situation where the Vikings were up big and risks weren't necessary but he still made bad decisions.  If those kind of decisions happen the Vikes will be in trouble. 

If Keenum takes care of the ball with good decisions it won't matter what Ginn does. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This specifically worries me, because -- let's face it -- the Saints have been poor in the Payton era against top-few defenses, especially in the playoffs. The sample size is small, but there still seems to be a pattern: the Saints' 2006,  2011, and 2013 playoff runs were all ended on the road by top-5 defenses (both yds and pts).
They have, this Vikes D specifically reminds me of the 2013 Hawks defense. What I recall from that playoff game was Ingram fumbling early and giving the Hawks a lead they never relinquished. There was another turnover soon after and it was ultimately 16-0. Any early Saints turnovers could likely be devastating.

The Vikings had 197 passing yards in the first half. 2 TD with Diggs and Thielen had 85 yards already by then.
That was painful to watch. I'm just going to point out that a major factor in the first game was the craptastic not ready for prime time play of Devante Harris. - He was awful in that game. I know Saints coaches liked him in 2 camps but he wasn't up to the challenge. He's since been cut, but before that he was replaced by Ken Crawley, a player I never thought would be up to the challenge but has been. For the most part he's been terrific, yes occasionally burned (see TB, Godwin late deep with the game winner) but he's been a real pleasant surprise overall. Lattimore obviously has developed since Game 1, a Pro Bowl selection.

They have, this Vikes D specifically reminds me of the 2013 Hawks defense. What I recall from that playoff game was Ingram fumbling early and giving the Hawks a lead they never relinquished. 
Was that the game Lynch played like he was 10 feet tall and weighed 700 pounds, or was that 2010?  He was just impossible to stop every time they gave him the ball.

The worst was watching Alex Smith and Vernon Davis play pitch and catch all day long and losing 36-32 in 2011.  Man, that was ugly. I felt like a Bills fan watching Simms to Bavaro play after play after play.

This Vikings D is no joke.  They are outstanding in almost every aspect and very well coached.  They won't lose this game because of their defense.

Was that the game Lynch played like he was 10 feet tall and weighed 700 pounds, or was that 2010?  He was just impossible to stop every time they gave him the ball.
You're thinking of the 2010 playoff game, but the 2013 game wasn't much different, Lynch still piled up like 120+ yards IIRC.

The worst was watching Alex Smith and Vernon Davis play pitch and catch all day long and losing 36-32 in 2011.  Man, that was ugly. I felt like a Bills fan watching Simms to Bavaro play after play after play.
Alex Smith's only great playoff game ever, yes. He was Montana that day. 

That was painful to watch. I'm just going to point out that a major factor in the first game was the craptastic not ready for prime time play of Devante Harris. - He was awful in that game. I know Saints coaches liked him in 2 camps but he wasn't up to the challenge. He's since been cut, but before that he was replaced by Ken Crawley, a player I never thought would be up to the challenge but has been. For the most part he's been terrific, yes occasionally burned (see TB, Godwin late deep with the game winner) but he's been a real pleasant surprise overall. Lattimore obviously has developed since Game 1, a Pro Bowl selection.
That was about as bad as I've ever seen a "good" Saints team perform.  It's my hope that all this talk about how good the Vikings D is puts a chip on the Saints D shoulders and they play above their heads.  I love anything that motivates Cam Jordan

Yeah no doubt the Saints secondary has improved since that game.

Bradford seemed like he could do no wrong in that game. Cook was definitely a factor keeping the Saints off balance as well. Murray and McKinnon have done a good job, but not quite the same threat that Cook was.

Just watching some stuff on TV right now talking about the game and the match ups. One interesting point brought up is how well McKinnon has done as a receiver and that he has improved as a runner as the season goes on. I agree with this. McKinnon has been doing a better job of finding creases running between the tackles recently. He completely gashed the Bengals on receptions, but the Bengals were missing linebackers in that game, making it somewhat anomalous, the Bengals blew coverage on McKinnon once early for a big play, then the Vikings went back to the same play again later on in the game and he had a big play again.

Not really expecting that against the Saints, but they are missing some linebackers and coverage will likely be stretched with them having to focus on Diggs and Thielen, so maybe McKinnon finds himself pretty open against them for some big plays.

Kyle Rudolph practiced in full on Wednesday and may be back from his ankle injury that has limited him. This adds another receiving threat if he is healthy, although I do like what the Vikings did playing Avantae Collins at TE in their last game against the Bears, having the dual threat TE can make the play action passing game a bit more of a threat. I still hope they use Collins some, even if it is only for a handful of plays. I can see playing him being a good way to double team Cameron Jordan. Rudolphs main weakness in my view is he isn't that good a blocker.

Pat Elflien has practiced in full, so it will be interesting to see what the Vikings do there. Some have speculated it might be best to have Berger play left guard instead of Sirles. He hasn't played there this year or really ever before, although I'm sure he could do it. The Vikings have used him at right guard most of the season, electing to have Easton play center and keep Berger at right guard when Elflien was out before.

Its good that the Vikings have options with their offensive line combinations. I wonder what the best five actually is and if the Vikings may mix and match where linemen play during the game or not. The argument for consistency would suggest Berger back to right guard where he has played the most and kicking Remmers back out to right tackle. In the last game Remmers played well at right guard with Hill at right tackle though. Sirles has played the most left guard besides Easton who is out. 

I guess the question as far as who the best five are, is if Hill or Sirles is the better player. One of those two would become a reserve with Elflien coming back to the line up.

Xavier Rhodes practiced in full as well. The only Vikings who were limited in practice Wednesday were Shamar Stephen and Terrence Newman. Newman is important, but I would expect him to play. Shamar Stephen plays in the DT rotation, but Jaleel Johnson seemed to fine as his replacement. The Vikings were very good against the Bears running game with Johnson in there for 20 snaps. So I wonder if Stephens health matters much or not. He did have a limited practice and may be able to play. We are only talking about a handful of snaps anyways. Tom Johnson plays a lot of snaps and Linval Joseph, with Brian Robison mixing in on passing downs. 

This Vikings D is no joke.  They are outstanding in almost every aspect and very well coached.  They won't lose this game because of their defense
Vikes fans I hope realize Saints fans have literally had this lesson about great defenses beaten into us repeatedly since 2006. We get it and have total respect.

Btw the Vikes in general have been playoff & regular season nemeses for the Saints aside from 09. - The Saints made their first playoff ever in 87, the city rejoiced, it was a great team, 12-3 - the Vikes trashcanned the Saints 44-10 in the Dome. - 2000 the Saints win their first playoff game ever (yeay!) then go to Min and get destroyed something like 34-16. - Overall the Saints have lost ~2/3s of their games all time to the Vikes. They've been outscored by 200 points. At Min all time the Saints are 3-13.

Vikes fans I hope realize Saints fans have literally had this lesson about great defenses beaten into us repeatedly since 2010. We get it and have total respect.

Btw the Vikes in general have been playoff & regular season nemeses for the Saints aside from 09. - The Saints made their first playoff ever in 87, the city rejoiced, it was a great team, 12-3 - the Vikes trashcanned the Saints 44-10 in the Dome. - 2000 the Saints win their first playoff game ever (yeay!) then go to Min and get destroyed something like 34-16. - Overall the Saints have lost ~2/3s of their games all time to the Vikes. They've been outscored by 200 points. At Min all time the Saints are 3-13.
Yeah that is my memory as well. The Vikings had the Saints number for a pretty long time there.

Completely changed though when the Saints beat the Vikings in the championship game and the Saints went on to the win the Super Bowl.

Vikes fans I hope realize Saints fans have literally had this lesson about great defenses beaten into us repeatedly since 2010. We get it and have total respect.

Btw the Vikes in general have been playoff nemeses for the Saints aside from 09. - The Saints made their first playoff ever in 87, the city rejoiced, it was a great team, 12-3 - the Vikes trashcanned the Saints 44-10 in the Dome. - 2000 the Saints win their first playoff game ever (yeay!) then go to Min and get destroyed something like 34-16. - Overall the Saints have lost ~2/3s of their games all time to the Vikes. They've been outscored by 200 points. At Min all time the Saints are 3-13.
:goodposting:

But don't think we're rolling over either! Go Saints!

Shrimp Po Boys and Abita all day long on Sunday.....can't wait

IMO, the Vikings are the better, more rounded team and should win. Turnovers from either side would obviously affect the game. 

IMO, the Vikings are the better, more rounded team and should win. Turnovers from either side would obviously affect the game. 
With the Saints injuries on both sides of the ball I would agree with this.  Both teams at full strength and a full season under the rookies belt, I'd disagree.

Just watching some stuff on TV right now talking about the game and the match ups. One interesting point brought up is how well McKinnon has done as a receiver and that he has improved as a runner as the season goes on. I agree with this. McKinnon has been doing a better job of finding creases running between the tackles recently. He completely gashed the Bengals on receptions, but the Bengals were missing linebackers in that game, making it somewhat anomalous, the Bengals blew coverage on McKinnon once early for a big play, then the Vikings went back to the same play again later on in the game and he had a big play again.

Not really expecting that against the Saints, but they are missing some linebackers and coverage will likely be stretched with them having to focus on Diggs and Thielen, so maybe McKinnon finds himself pretty open against them for some big plays.
Vaccaro being out is potentially a problem for the Saints. He's missed two games and in both games the defense has been a bit worse than with him IMO. And when I saw McCaffery take that pass over the middle to the house last week. I immediately thought of McKinnon. I'm not sure that's exactly the kind of route he runs or if he has that kind of speed but I could see a similar result. That was vs Robertson, who in general has been very good, but he's no match for that kind of coverage 1-1 downfield.

With the Saints injuries on both sides of the ball I would agree with this.  Both teams at full strength and a full season under the rookies belt, I'd disagree.
Does “healthy” mean the vikes get a uninjured dalvin cook and sam bradford?

Should be the best game of the weekend, a little nervous as a vikes fan but that could be from all of the heartache over the past few decades. I can still hear the falcons celebrating their nfc crown in 98 (I was on that side of the field and wanted to jump the railing and punch chris chandler in the face). Was so quiet walking out of the dome you could hear a pin drop. 

Obviously some of the bigger matchups today:

- Harrison Smith & Xavier Rhodes vs Mike Thomas & the passing game.

- Marshawn Lattimore & Ken Crawley vs Diggs & Thielen.

- The Saints pass rush after the multiple injuries. If Mauti is out today I couldn't even tell you who would be starting.

- Kelemente at guard vs Vikes d-line.

New Orleans Saints at Minnesota Vikings: Inactive Lists for both teams

In an interesting wrinkle the Vikings will start Mike Remmers at left guard.

That means the starting offensive line for today is:

LT Riley Reiff

LG Mike Remmers

C Pat Elflein

RG Joe Berger

RT Rashod Hill

Apparently the Vikings like the idea of Hill at right tackle better than the idea of Jeremiah Sirlesat left guard.
Sirles backs up at guard and tackle and perhaps becomes the 6th lineman instead of Collins if they do use that formation?

Collins is active Isidora is not.

Because so far it's been top defenses winning out over superior QBs.
That's been the way of the league for a long time.

Should the Saints win, it will be the defense that carries the day. I'm resigned to Brees & Co. being reined in ... so I'm hoping for the big plays to come on special teams and defense.

Users who are viewing this thread