What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (1 Viewer)

NFL is a week to week thing. They could just as easily lose these next two games. Many coaches would have a plan for different scenarios. Ron seems to operate in the moment. Which is what irks me about him, but probably endears him to his players. Not once in his reign have I thought ... those guys didn't even try. So whatever he does in that regard I cannot fault him. I think all the next 4 games are winnable. Turner is the wildcard in all this. I still think he stinks, but at least he's run the ball the last couple of weeks.

Yeah, all the running last week was nice. They moved the chains, kept the Eagles offense off the field, and didn't put too much on Heinicke. However, 150 yards on 50 rushes is...not great. It worked out because they were always gaining yards. Longest run was only 11 yards. Very little variance in their rush lengths which is the only way 3 yards per carry can work. Throughout the game, they kept showing their 3rd down conversion rate and average yards to go. I think the average yards to go on 3rd ended up around 4, but much of the game it was down around 2 or 3. Getting short runs on 1st and 3rd put them in much easier conversion opportunities. But, like I said, 3 yards per carry isn't good. They need to do better if they want this formula to keep working.

How often have we won games we weren't supposed to win, and then lost the games we SHOULD have won. I'm not confident about beating the Texans at all :bag:

NFL is a week to week thing. They could just as easily lose these next two games. Many coaches would have a plan for different scenarios. Ron seems to operate in the moment. Which is what irks me about him, but probably endears him to his players. Not once in his reign have I thought ... those guys didn't even try. So whatever he does in that regard I cannot fault him. I think all the next 4 games are winnable. Turner is the wildcard in all this. I still think he stinks, but at least he's run the ball the last couple of weeks.
Turner is frustrating. As soon as I give up on him and declare him a failure, he calls a good game plan like he did against Philly, and I give him another chance. This is classic Commanders/Wizards/enter any DC area team name...perpetual hope with very sporadic payoff...

Ron Rivera disciplines multiple Commanders players; Roger Goodell sends a memo to all NFL teams reminding them of the league's policy prohibiting alcohol on team flights and at team facilities

https://twitter.com/MarkMaske/status/1593776900639522816

The NFL said the Commanders’ response to the incident was sufficient and that it would not impose additional disciplinary measures.

Commanders players were boisterous after their win in Philadelphia, celebrating with blaring music and dancing in the locker room afterward. The celebration continued on the flight home, with multiple players taking video of Heinicke holding a beer and wearing the jewelry of many of his teammates.
Rivera said he appreciated his players’ enthusiasm but reminded them they “haven’t arrived.”

Had no idea how bad Houston was. But a win is a win. Happy for players. Not so happy that if this team makes playoff Danny will get a higher price.

Happy For Taylor but still want to see what Howell can do. But proud of the fight this team has shown.
Early on, I thought we’d get a chance to see some Howell today. But, this offense can’t do enough even against the Texans to blow anyone out.

I know the narrative is that we can't resign Deron Payne because paying Allen, Payne, Sweat and Young is just not tenable -- but dang it would be great to keep him. He's been a difference maker this year...

If we just had a QB. Heinicke is not playing well, but somehow it’s enough each week so far. 7-5 feels good. Running game finally looked good and Robinson is looking better and better.

Old school football game. Run the ball. And when they stop it run it again. Like watching Gibbs2. It’s the only way this team can win. I think if they ran a run first offense with Wentz they’d hit more play action but as long as Taylor is winning gotta ride him. Need to beat the NYG at least 1 of 2. Which seems manageable.

Enjoyable game. Brian Robinson was an absolute beast at time, running people over and dragging dudes for extra yards.

Seattle lost so if the season ended today we'd have one of the wild cards. Lots of football left but at this point we now control our own destiny.

We have to keep winning but at least now we have the identity...the approach to playing. Run, run, run with occasional play action pass. Stout defense.

Next week at NYG is a huge, huge game and it won't be easy. But at least I feel we got a chance.

If we can beat the Giants twice (a big if), then the final game of the season vs. Dallas may determine if we get into the playoffs or not.

Reposted from the game thread.

During that whole long Atlanta drive I bet most of us Washington fans knew defeat was coming, and that we'd lose 20-19 due to the missed extra point earlier in the game. Then suddenly, tipped pass/interception. Daron Payne is having by far the best season he's ever had.

Reposted from the game thread.

During that whole long Atlanta drive I bet most of us Washington fans knew defeat was coming, and that we'd lose 20-19 due to the missed extra point earlier in the game. Then suddenly, tipped pass/interception. Daron Payne is having by far the best season he's ever had.
Side note:

I'm glad we won, but I cannot believe how incredibly stupid Atlanta coaching staff was to pass in that situation. I know, I know: "they are expecting the pass so we'll fool them and throw it." That's fine if your running game is not your absolute strength that has been working all game. Sometimes, you do the expected thing if it is your strength and it's been working all game. I think sometimes offensive coordinators fall in love with their own cleverness and forget about the players and instead "call plays" they think will work. What's the expression, "it's not about the Xs and Os; it's about the Jimmy's and Joes." Scott Turner falls into that sometimes too. Don't overthink it, man...

Let's try math. If Washington ties NYG in NY, then in 2 weeks Washington should beat NYG in Washington by 6 points.

Hopefully they can get healthier after the bye. Maybe a couple more guys can give them an edge over NY.

SF now seems winnable. Obviously can easily lose, too. Almost no chance of breaking 20 points in that game.

I still like our chances to make the playoffs.

Tough yesterday as we really could have used that W.

Hope Turner somehow gets more creative/aggressive with his playcalling coming out of the bye (doubtful, I know). The offense is definitely holding this team back right now. Will be also interesting to see how Chase adds to the mix on D. He better stick to the program and play within the system. If wants to freelance like last season, he can stay on the sidelines as a cheerleader.

NOt sure how to feel about the game. It's better than a loss but I feel we had opportunities we didn't cash in, and that's the part that stings.

We can talk about questionable calls and whatnot but the bottom line is the offense needs to make a play with the game on the line. In OT, when your defense makes the first stop, and you then only need a FG to win, you just have to drive and get a FG. You just have to do it. I feel like both teams got too conservative in OT at times and I felt that going for it on fourth down to try to win would have been worth it. Riverboat Ron did not show up.

Anyways, the next game at Fed Ex is essentially a playoff game IMO. The team that wins not only gets a leg up in the W/L column but will hold head to head tie breaker, which could realistically come into play at the end of the season. I do think we have still have a decent chance of making the playoffs, but we'll see.

Not sure about next year. Our defense has rounded into form well. We need to resign Daron Payne. I'm not worried about paying Chase Young down the line. Payne is a bird in the hand. Not sure about QB. Wentz is not the answer and while we're winning with Heinicke, it's still a question whether he's that guy who can bring you back while slinging the ball -- though to be fair he did so vs. Colts and had a nice 4th quarter drive yesterday. If he could have moved the team to FG range in OT, I think I'd feel differently today...

Good time for the bye...

What's that term? clicking on all cylinders. Unfortunately we've only got about 2 cylinders on Offense. Even when it clicks, it can only go so fast. It's driven by a low horsepower QB. Protected by a mid-horsepower OL. And the guy steering it all in Turner is only gonna drive it the speed limit of 25 mph.

Defense looks pretty good. I still don't like Del Rio only sending 4 every time. But it's getting the job done.

This team has brought in QB vet after vet with limited success. Smith. Fitzgerald. Wentz. Using has-beens is simply not the way to build a team. You gotta draft a QB and have that lowish salary for 1-3 years while you build around them. Honestly the pieces are in place for a very, very good team. It' just needs a better QB. Who knows if it's Howell. The draft spot is at best gonna get you an Anthony Richardson or Hendon Hooker. That Chase Young pick was a killer. Herbert. Tagovailoa, Hurts. All could have been suiting it up for the Commanders for years.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think there are a lot of really good pieces in place. The trick is going to be whether they can fill some of the biggest holes while they still have most of these good pieces.

Yeah, I think there are a lot of really good pieces in place. The trick is going to be whether they can fill some of the biggest holes while they still have most of these good pieces.

Biggest need this off-season will be to re-sign Payne. That's a must. Not worried about the fact that they can't sign all four on the DLine. Payne has shown he's a foundational block paired with Allen. They will figure out what to do with Sweat later, and Chase is a massive question mark at this point. They shouldn't be overly concerned with budgeting in Chase's next contract at this point. It's a lot of money to sink into two DTackles, but they are the heart of this defense. Good news is Wentz will be off the books so there will be some money to allocate this summer.

Re-sign Heinceke and draft a QB early and run it back next year. For as well as the team is playing, it is a bit disappointing that they won't get a preview of what they have in Howell this year. Would have been nice to at least see a bit before heading into next year's draft. Still, this has been a fun few weeks and even better knowing that the long dark cloud of Snyder is (hopefully) behind us.

Biggest need this off-season will be to re-sign Payne. That's a must. Not worried about the fact that they can't sign all four on the DLine. Payne has shown he's a foundational block paired with Allen. They will figure out what to do with Sweat later, and Chase is a massive question mark at this point. They shouldn't be overly concerned with budgeting in Chase's next contract at this point. It's a lot of money to sink into two DTackles, but they are the heart of this defense. Good news is Wentz will be off the books so there will be some money to allocate this summer.

Re-sign Heinceke and draft a QB early and run it back next year. For as well as the team is playing, it is a bit disappointing that they won't get a preview of what they have in Howell this year. Would have been nice to at least see a bit before heading into next year's draft. Still, this has been a fun few weeks and even better knowing that the long dark cloud of Snyder is (hopefully) behind us.
Agreed on both counts. They need to be working on signing Payne and Heinicke right now. You are right Chase is a monster question mark. If they let Payne go now and then Chase never returns to form, it will be worse than letting Cousins go.

Meanwhile, I know that Heinicke is not the prototypical franchise QB but my gut tells me that if we slow roll this we did McKissic, then he'll sign elsehwhere. There are a number of teams with poo poo at QB and someone may take a chance on him. I say offer him something reasonable -- but not bank breaking -- now and get him in the fold. Then, yeah, draft another guy after that.

DO NOT GO AFTER ROGERS! (my fear)

Agreed on both counts. They need to be working on signing Payne and Heinicke right now. You are right Chase is a monster question mark. If they let Payne go now and then Chase never returns to form, it will be worse than letting Cousins go.

Meanwhile, I know that Heinicke is not the prototypical franchise QB but my gut tells me that if we slow roll this we did McKissic, then he'll sign elsehwhere. There are a number of teams with poo poo at QB and someone may take a chance on him. I say offer him something reasonable -- but not bank breaking -- now and get him in the fold. Then, yeah, draft another guy after that.

DO NOT GO AFTER ROGERS! (my fear)

Why would either of them sign now? Payne is certainly gonna test the market. I mean, if he gets a similar offer from a contender, they may need to use a transition tag to keep him. Dude is gonna get paid.

And Heinicke, even as a future backup in WAS he is making $s with every win. I think what he will want to know is that he will have a chance to be a starter wherever he signs. I'm not sure he will get that here. Maybe he gets another year, and they roll in Howell or a draft pick over time (which I don't think is a bad deal for the fans or team as he's probably getting <$12M year, so he's cheap and they can fix the OL). But if he knows he's starting elsewhere, he's gone. I just don't think anyone is gonna name him a week 1 starter no matter where he signs.

Why would either of them sign now? Payne is certainly gonna test the market. I mean, if he gets a similar offer from a contender, they may need to use a transition tag to keep him. Dude is gonna get paid.

And Heinicke, even as a future backup in WAS he is making $s with every win. I think what he will want to know is that he will have a chance to be a starter wherever he signs. I'm not sure he will get that here. Maybe he gets another year, and they roll in Howell or a draft pick over time (which I don't think is a bad deal for the fans or team as he's probably getting <$12M year, so he's cheap and they can fix the OL). But if he knows he's starting elsewhere, he's gone. I just don't think anyone is gonna name him a week 1 starter no matter where he signs.

You're right that neither is likely to sign anything now, especially Payne. He's going to want to test the market for sure. But this team better come correct and pay the man. Don't know if anyone here listens to Kevin Sheehan's podcast, but he cited an interesting article the other day (maybe from Standig in The Athletic?) that discussed that within league circles there is a realization that DTs are finally about to get paid somewhat closer to their DE counterparts (or at least close the wage gap somewhat). The gist was they have been underpaid historically outside of a few outliers (ie. Donald) but the way the game has evolved to so much quick passing and emphasis on quick QB release times, having a DT who can consistently create pressure up the middle is now much more valuable (as the middle is obviously the shortest line of distance to the QB). Bottom line is Payne is gonna get paid this summer, and it better be by us, even using the appropriate tags if necessary.

I dunno...I think we may be de-valuing what Heinicke will get. We are very hyperfixated on his flaws. And yes, he has flaws...he may not be a franchise QB. And I do share the concerns that he may be limited particularly when we have situations we are down by multiple scores and have to pass a lot to come back. I don't think he's perfect by any means. BUT...I think he has shown he can lead an NFL team and win and I think other teams will notice that.

Years ago, a lot of fans were like "f kirk cousins, he's a turn over machine..." and we refused to pay him 20 million or whatever would have actually been a great deal. Now look at us. I'm not saying sign Heinicke to a 5 year, 30 million/year contract, like he's an out and out stud. But I don't think we should just lowball him either.

I see what DGreen is saying $20 M seems like a lot and not sure he's gonna get that much. But maybe somewhere in between that 12 M and 20 M is what someone would stretch to?

The thing I'm looking at is this. Our team doesn't out and out suck right now. It's competitive. And in that context: he's a bird in the hand. No, he's not a 6-5 guy with a cannon arm but he's playing well enough so that we can legitimately think about the playoffs. And that aspect is way, way more valuable than we think, IMO. I do NOT think it's a given that we have Heinicke's equivalent next year if we let him walk. We could be WAY worse off, particularly at our draft position; have the same talent and go 4-13. I don't know what the number is but I think it's probably pretty important to get him in the fold and if we have to stretch the dollars a little bit (not a lot) I'm ok with it.

I also think we should continue to draft guys to get his eventual replacement. Maybe it's HOwell...maybe someone else. I'm not super stoked about bringing in another retread ala Fitz or Wentz...

Payne we just need to ask him "how much" and write the check...I suspect we may even have to franchise him...

Last edited:
Reposted from a Dan Snyder thread on here. Some bad stuff in here. U.S. House report on Snyder:

Or if you don't want to wade through all that, here is a more reasonably lengthed article:

This one quote is interesting in light of the fact that some think it's simply a "witch hunt." Over 100 times, Snyder answered "I cannot recall" to Congressional questions. That's a well known sign by now that you are guilty as heck but using the legal system to slip out.

“Mr. Snyder was invited to testify at a public hearing but refused to appear and then sought to avoid service of a subpoena while abroad with his yacht,” the report said. “Mr. Snyder ultimately sat for a private deposition but failed to provide full and complete testimony. Over the course of the deposition, he claimed more than 100 times that he could not recall the answers to the Committee’s questions, including basic inquiries about his role as Team owner and multiple allegations of misconduct. Mr. Snyder also gave misleading testimony about his efforts to interfere with the Wilkinson Investigation.”

Last edited:
With the Giants and Seahawks losing, we're now back up to 6 seed in NFC. If season ended today, we'd play SF in playoffs. I'd almost rather be 7 seed and play the Vikings TBH. But there is a lot of football left to be sure. We're not in yet. This Sunday vs. Giants is a must win game. I'm not counting on a victory in SF the following week...those cats are humming, plus we're flying cross country on a short week. After that, Cleveland we have a chance then we got to hope Dallas is resting starters (though it's not like Rush stinks). So not counting our chickens before they hatch at all!

That said, a quick fun question for you. If we are lucky enough to make the playoffs, would you rather be 6th seed and face SF? OR 7th and face Minn? This is assuming SF doesn't catch Minn...they are only one game back at present...

I'll take my chances at Minnesota personally...we played them once tough, plus you always have the chance of a Kirk Cousins melt down to let you through....

With the Giants and Seahawks losing, we're now back up to 6 seed in NFC. If season ended today, we'd play SF in playoffs. I'd almost rather be 7 seed and play the Vikings TBH. But there is a lot of football left to be sure. We're not in yet. This Sunday vs. Giants is a must win game. I'm not counting on a victory in SF the following week...those cats are humming, plus we're flying cross country on a short week. After that, Cleveland we have a chance then we got to hope Dallas is resting starters (though it's not like Rush stinks). So not counting our chickens before they hatch at all!

That said, a quick fun question for you. If we are lucky enough to make the playoffs, would you rather be 6th seed and face SF? OR 7th and face Minn? This is assuming SF doesn't catch Minn...they are only one game back at present...

I'll take my chances at Minnesota personally...we played them once tough, plus you always have the chance of a Kirk Cousins melt down to let you through....

I'm a Niners fan, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'd think you'd MUCH rather face the Vikings defense than 49ers defense. Maybe the WFT game at SF in a couple of weeks goes well and you feel confident, but I don't think it will.

I'm a Niners fan, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'd think you'd MUCH rather face the Vikings defense than 49ers defense. Maybe the WFT game at SF in a couple of weeks goes well and you feel confident, but I don't think it will.
MINN is a no brainer. No one wants to face that SF D right now.

For some reason or another the Commanders are still in the playoff hunt. I probably should watch tomorrow.

Said by thousands of Washington fans used to getting their hearts stomped on. This really is masochism, and I want them to win.

We have a decent chance of getting into the playoffs with a win today - something we should do. And with the way the Vikings looked yesterday, we might even win a playoff game. Rivera is not Saturday.

The offense needs to be fixed. I don’t know if that’s a QB change or something else, but someone needs to figure it out.

Heinicke has no idea what to do when under pressure. None. And Wentz isn't the cure. I love the hell out of Heinicke but he is sooooo limited and isn't going to lead this team anywhere by ability.

This feels like fighting for a playoff berth with a losing record, doesn't it? They're going to be 7-7-1 when the 49'ers beat them and the last game of the season against Dallas is going to feel huge, but all it's going to do is determine who is going to beat them in the first round of the playoffs if they win.

We're used to this.

Its time to start Howell damn it
Unfortunately, not going to happen while they're mathematically contending for a playoff berth...

...and unfortunately, if they drop out of contention, or remain in contention and TH plays like crap, they're probably going to take the opportunity to take another look at Wentz. Again.

BTW, did everyone notice what happened when the Giants were trying to make subs late in the game and ultimately had to call a time out? First, it was a bit ridiculous that Washington didn't get the ball snapped to get a penalty. But, also, did you see the play they were going to run? It was a direct snap to Dyami Brown coming in motion. Baffling that's what the play call was at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread